Monster Project

Around Halloween in 2012 we completed a fun monster-themed project with our friends in Mr Avery’s class. Mr Avery’s sixth grade students live in Massachussets, USA.

This is how the project worked:

1. Students in 4KM and 4KJ were matched up with a partner in Mr Avery’s class.
    2. All students drew a picture of a monster.
    3. Next, the students wrote a detailed description of their own monster.
    4. The two classes switched their writing (but didn’t swap their pictures).
    5. The students had to draw their partner’s monster using the detail in the written description.
    6. We compared the original drawing to the drawing our partner made of the monster!

The results:

The results of the project were so interesting! Here is the writing that 4KM and 4KJ students prepared along with their picture and the picture that their partner in Mr Avery’s class prepared.

We learnt:

• Writing needs to be very clear and detailed for someone to generate the same mental image that you started with.
  • Writing is an excellent way to help people create a mental image when it is done well.
  • When you leave details out of your writing, people can’t read your mind to imagine what you were thinking.
  • Good readers create mental images when they’re reading.
  • Working together with other classes is fun!

Be sure to check out Mr Avery’s blog post to see the results of his students drawing our monster pictures!

Last year Mr Avery completed the monster project with Mr Salsich’s class. Click here to read about it.

3 thoughts on “Monster Project

I loved doing this project with you guys it was so much fun. I think it was a great thing to do to work on writing skills.I really hope we can do more projects like this.

Josh H.
    Mr.Avery’s class

I’m Tristan, and I’m also from Mr. Avery’s Class. I remember doing this a couple months ago. It was really fun! I was wondering if you could check out my blog, if you had a chance. You probably already know Taite, she’s my sister, she was rewarded a blog last year and I was rewarded one this year. But if you want to check it out, the web address is…..>> 3cheers.edublogs.org

Hope you check it out!
    Sincerely,
    Tristan B. 🙂

3. Pingback: It IS a small world after all | SLM 508SMK