Celebration of Learning Afternoon

Today the grade four classes hosted parents and family members for our final Celebration of Learning afternoon.

You can read about our two previous afternoons here and here.

The purpose of this afternoon was for students to showcase and present their group projects, which were PowerPoint presentations based on our inquiry topic, First Contacts.

A variety of topics were covered, including life in 18th Century Britain, life for the First Australians, indigenous artwork, the First Fleet journey and convicts.

Students have been working hard for the past week on their presentations. The steps involved in creating the presentation were:

1. Form groups and decide on a specific topic to present.

2. Plan the presentation.

3. Research the topic online and in library books.

4. Put the information you researched into your own words.

5. Design an interesting and visually appealing PowerPoint presentation (including image attributions and a bibliography).

*****

Everyone did a fabulous job presenting their projects to their classmates, parents and family members. Prior to the afternoon, we discussed the important elements of a quality presentation.

All students worked hard at:

1. Speaking clearly and loudly.

2. Making eye contact with the audience.

3. Elaborating on information when necessary.

4. Engaging the audience with a smile!

Here are some photos from our afternoon. Thanks to our photographer, Ava!

*****

After each presentation, students and parents provided quality feedback to the group. Presenting in front of an audience, which is called public speaking, is not an easy task, but it can be very rewarding. Miss Jordan is so proud of all of the students in 4KJ for doing such a wonderful job with their presentations!

*****

What did you enjoy about our special afternoon?

What did you learn about First Contacts from watching the presentations?

How do you feel about public speaking?

29 thoughts on “Celebration of Learning Afternoon

1. Hi class,

Wow! I just love this post!

Here, I’m going to answer some of the questions:

Q. What did you enjoy about our special afternoon?

A. Well, I really super enjoyed….PRESENTING OUR PRESENTATION OF COURSE!

Q.What did you learn about First Contacts from watching the presentations?

A. What I learnt from the presentations okay, I learnt that they actually tie their hair on a stick and paint. I thought that they cut their hair the tie it to a stick.

Q. How do you feel about public speaking?

A. Firstly it was nerve wracking! But once you get used to it it’s okay, a bit! Sometimes I think of silly things like, I pretend that all the people watching me are food! Like marshmallows!!!

Got To Go,
    Princess

• Hi Princess,

Thanks so much for your wonderful comment. I am so glad that you left it and it was so nice of you to leave it by the way.

I think that this post will get a lot of comments on it but not as much as the one about Novalie that Mrs Morris wrote.

That had like 72 comments or something like that. I hope to see about that same on here.

That is a cool thing to do when you are presenting pretend they are food. I must try that sometime.

I would love to see more of these comments from you soon. By the way I hope you can stay warm today because it doesn’t look to good.

See you at school!’

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

• Hi Liv,

Thanks for replying to me!
        I know right! That post that Mrs Morris did, had a lot of comments!

I know, it’s kind of weird that I imagine everyone as food but it makes me confident for some reason. I told that to my mum and she said I have a great imagination!

Yeah, I wish I can stay warm, it’s freezing!

Gtg,
        Princess

• Hi Princess,

Thanks so much for replying to me. It was so nice of you to do it for me and I am so glad that you have done it.

Yes the post got a lot of comments and the good thing was tat they were all good and long ones from people.

Comments are a wonderful thing to do so I don’t know who doesn’t like it.

I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t like blogging.

It is so much fun to do and I am so glad that you do it too.

Got 2 Gallop,
          Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

• Hi Liv,

Thanks for replyi-ng to me!

I don’t know who doesn’t like blogging too! It’s soo much fun! Especially when I’m bored at home, I just leave a comment, and I think that’s really fun!

Have a great weekend,
            Princess

• Hi Princess,

Thanks so much for replying to me.

I am just about to go to Niki’s party.

I also hope you have a good weekend.

I am enjoying mine so much already.

This afternoon was so much fun.

I can’t wait for another day like this again soon.

Got 2 Gallop,
              Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

• Hi Prinnie/Princess,

Great comment. I really enjoyed the Celebration of Learning Afternoon, I was super relived when I finished my group and I’s presentation. Although it was really fun.

I enjoyed presenting the PowerPoint in front of the parents, but I when I was up there presenting the PowerPoint, my legs were shaking like Jess’s. :lol:

I also learnt that the First Australians actually tie their hair on a stick and paint. I thought that they cut their hair the tie it to a stick.

I wasn’t very confident with public speaking until I stood up in front of the parents and students and spoke. I actually do the same thing as you pretend everyone is a marshmallow or another type of food like a long spaghetti noodle.

Well, great comment again and it was a big, long one too!

Happy Blogging,
        Meg :mrgreen: :wink:

• Hi Meg,

Thanks so much for your comment. It was so nice of you to leave it.

I hope to see more of them from you soon.

I knew that I was going to miss blogging today so I left some comments before school.

It would be so good to see Ungu’s comments next week too.

Got 2 Gallop,
          Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

2. Dear 4KJ and Miss Jordan,

thanks so much Miss Jordan for writing up this blog post. It was very good and I am so glad to see one about yesterday.

I thought that is was such a great and fun afternoon. It is good to see different people coming every time we have something on like this.

It was so good to see a comment already from Princess. It is so good to see people blogging at home.

This post was so good just like the afternoon was. I am so glad we got to do it in groups because for some people it was hard because they got scared and for others they might not know how to get everything in the PowerPoint.

I so hope we can have another afternoon like that again in the school years ahead of us. It will be so much fun to do because it always is.

HERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

I enjoyed seeing everyone having a good time and enjoying themselves. I also liked how some of the parents were answering some questions from the quiz.

That the lightest hulk is the Friendship one.

How do you feel about public speaking?
    Exited! I love doing it and for me it is even better in a bigger crowd.

I may not have the best vice but I think maybe Yunus and I have the most confidence. Just saying because we both love to do it and have done it many times with each other before.

I remember once when I was in grade 1 I did the oath in front of the whole school. It was so much fun.

If I got to speak in front of a big crowd again like this very soon then I will be so happy and exited!

Thanks again Miss Jordan for writing up this blog post. I hope to see more comments on this blog post like Princess’ by the way.

Got 2 Gallop,
    Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

3. Hi 4KJ,

It was such a fun afternoon!

Now I will answer the questions:

I enjoyed PRESENTING!

I learnt that there where about 703 set to work.

How do you feel about public speaking?

When I was speaking in front of all the People in the class room I felt confident and exited!

Got to go,
    Chloe

• Hi Chloe,

It was good to watch and hear everyone presenting and I am so glad that they all had a fun time.

Thanks for leaving a comment.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

• Dear Chloe,

Thank you for your comment.

I thought that your presention very well and that you spoke beautifully!

From your freind,
      Sophie :mrgreen: :wink: :lol:

• Hi Sophie,

Thanks so much for leaving your comment to Chloe.

I thought that you and Ebony did great when you were presenting and so did everyone else.

It would be great fun if we could all do something like that again soon.

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

4. Dear 4KJ,

When I was waiting for my turn the nerve was really starting to get to me when my turn was starting to get really close to me.

I’m not really that keen to speak in really large crowds like when I did the collaborative learning afternoon but I tried not to get to shy when I was doing the collaborative learning afternoon.

What I enjoyed from the special afternoon was Showing my presentation to all of the parents especially my Dad because I could show him my I.C.T skills.

My favorite part that I read was probably reading everything but my favorite part was reading about the Industrial Revolution.

Sincerely Jacob :cool: :mrgreen:

• Hi Jacob,

What a great comment. It was so good and I think that it is one of your bests. I love it wen you leave them.

You did such a great job presenting and I am so glad that you made it sound interesting.

Thanks again for leaving a comment on the blog and thanks for presenting.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

5. Hello,
    Thank you for showing us your blog.
    We are interested in starting our own blog and we found your blog movie helpful.
    We are from the Hearing Impaired Unit in Sydney.
    Keep doing your blog.
    Thank you and good-bye,
    Vaticana, Frank, Mara, Mondine and Justine

• Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for leaving your comment on our blog. We love to get comments and if you guys set up your own blog then I am sure you will fell the same way.

We love to blog in 4KJ and I do a lot of it. We also have our own blogs which are on the right side up a bit further.

My name is Olivia and I love to do blogging. It is s great way to talk to people online.

I hope to see more of these comments from you again soon. And if you wanted you could leave a comment to us when you get your blog with the link so we can have a look at it.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

6. Hi 4KJ,

I really liked presenting to the parents and students, it was a great afternoon. I liked everyone’s presentation, they were all well presented and everyone spoke clearly and loud.

Here are the answers to the questions:

I really enjoyed watching the presentations and I also liked the feedback students gave.

I learnt that the lightest ship that was on the First Fleet was the Friendship, its weight was 274 tons.

From Mitchell

• Hey Mitch,

thanks for yet another blog comment from you. When your group does blogging I find you always leave some interesting comments.

I am so glad that you get the time to do it. I am blogging now because I am going to miss reading groups and today my group is blogging. :(

It would be so good if we got more of these great comments from you again soon.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

7. Hey Everyone, :lol:

Great post Miss Jordan! :mrgreen: I really enjoyed the learning afternoon! I cant really remember much about the afternoon!

Cya,
    Lee

• Hi Lee,

Thanks for leaving a comment, It is fine that you can’t remember anything but can you remember presenting?

Because I thought your group did great and I was so glad you did it.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

8. Dear 4KJ,

Great post!

It was so much fun to show our PowerPoint to all th parents.
    It was good to see all the parents and and family members at our class.

I think that we all did a great job and it looked like we all had a lot of fun. Well I did!

Jess :lol: :mrgeen: :)

• Hi Jess,

Nice comment you left there. It was so nice of you to leave it and I am so glad that you got the time to do it.

I so hope to see more of these comments from you and the rest of the group again soon!

Presenting was so much fun and you did a wonderful job. We all did actually.

Thanks again for leaving your comment and I hope to see more of them from you soon!

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

9. Dear 4KJ,

Great post! :razz:

My favourite part of the afternoon was performing our presentation. After school my Mum told me my group did a great job.

I learnt what the Aboriginal Australians was as a paint brush and more about Captain Arthur Phillip.

At first I thought it would scary but after I got up there it was fine.

Harry :lol: :razz: :cool:

• Hi Harry,

Your group did a wonderful job and it was easy to understand all of you at the same time.

It would have been even better if we had more people there to listen to you.

Presenting was really fun and I am so glad that our group got to do it first and get it over and done with.

Even though I like to do it it was still good to get ours done at the start.

Thanks again for leaving that awesome comment of yours and I hope to see more of them from you!

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

10. Hello 4KJ,

I thought that this was a great idea. Making presentations in groups about three different topics. First Australians, First Fleet and Life in 18th century Britain.

In my group along with, Anthony and Heather, I enjoyed presenting the most. All those presentations were wonderful. I liked how most groups talked about different things. Parents and family members who came probably learnt a whole lot more. I certainly did.

What did you enjoy most about the Celebration of Learning Afternoon?

From Yunus :lol: :)

11. Hi 4KJ,
    Great post :razz:

I enjoyed the Learning Afternoon. I had a lot of fun presenting. Now I will answer some questions.

Q1- What did you enjoy about our special afternoon?
    A1- I enjoyed listening and learning about the different topics and I especially liked presenting I was really nervous.

Q2- What did you learn about First Contacts from watching the presentations?
    A1- I learn’t about the extinct animals in Australia.

Q3- How do you feel about public speaking?
    A1- I felt nervous but when you were talking it was fun.

From :razz: Darcy :cool:

12. Hi Everyone,

The Celebration of Learning Afternoon was so fun and exciting!

I enjoyed my Nan coming to watch me present my group and I present our presentation. It was also great that all the family members came to watch as well. I hope all the family members enjoyed all our presentations!

Now I’m going to answer all of the questions:

Q.1) What did you enjoy about our special afternoon?

A.1) What I enjoyed about the special afternoon was probably Presenting my presentation with my team members.

Q.2) What did you learn about First Contacts from watching the presentations?

A.2) I think I learnt a lot of things, I never knew that First Australians were the first Bread Makers!.

Q.3) How do you feel about public speaking?

A.3) I felt excited and nervous at the same time, Because I’m a shy and quiet person I thought the audience wouldn’t hear me speaking. In the end I felt very confident.

I had a good day and I hope everyone had a good day as well!

Eden :mrgreen:

• Hi Eden,

Thanks so much for leaving your blog comment. It was so nice of you to leave it and I am s glad that you did leave it.

I hope you are OK and not sick but I guess it does happen sometime. I hope we can see you at school tomorrow.

The fitness thing we did today was so much fun. If you want to know more about then read the blog post and check out the pics!

Good luck with it!

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool: