Grade Four Incursion and “Toss out Tuesday”

Today the grade four students enjoyed an incursion presented by Cultural Infusion.

The focus of the incursion was for the students to learn more about indigenous Australians and to listen to some dreamtime stories.

Everyone enjoyed listening to the didgeridoo and the storytelling.

Today was also “Toss out Tuesday” and “Tidy Tub Tuesday” at Leopold Primary School.

Students and teachers were encouraged to clean out tubs and tidy up classrooms by recycling paper. In 4KJ we like to have a very tidy and organised classroom, so we were happy to participate in this event.

More information about recycling week can be found here.

What did you enjoy about our incursion?

What do you know about recycling?

41 thoughts on “Grade Four Incursion and “Toss out Tuesday”

1. Dear 4Kj and Miss Jordan,

Thanks so much for writing up this blog post. I am sure we all enjoyed today because it was very fun and fantastic.

It was great to see everyone enjoying listening to the dreamtime stories and the didgeridoo. I know that I did.

I love learning about life back then for the Indigenous people and I remember doing some work about it in grade 2.

I wish and hope to see more blog comments on this blog post soon because today was a fun day so I am sure the least you guys can do is leave a comment for me!

I know that we like to have clean tubs and they are a good thing to have because you can find everything in them when they are nice and clean.

It was good to see everyone cleaning out their tubs and making them tidy just like mine.

What did you enjoy about our incursion?
    The way Big Al made everything sound fun and interesting. Also the way he liked to give us a bit of a scare.

I thought that Big Al has a great sense of humor. I also liked the name Pancakes for his sun.

What do you know about recycling?
    I know that if you put things in the wrong bin then sometimes the machines don’t pick it up and it can muck up the system.

Thanks Miss Jordan for a wonderful day and I wish you all the best for tomorrow. I know that it will also be a nice fun day.

As I said before I would like to see more comments from everyone sooner or later. They all mean a lot to me.

By the way before I go I left a comment on Mrs Yollis’ blog this morning in reading groups. It was just a quick hello and goodbye though.

Got 2 Gallop,
    Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

• Dear Liv,

Wow, great comment!

I must say you are so good at your blogging. I think that it s good that you like doing blogging because as I said you are very good at it.

I wish that I could have seen them show you all those cool things. Was it a lot of fun:?: Did you enjoy it :?:

I hope you have a great time but I have to go.

2. To 4KJ,

I did the tidy tubs today and mt tub looked very messy until I cleaned it. I have also been learning about the Indigenous Australians and it is a great topic. By the way my name is Aiden ( Liv’s Brother) and I am from 2MD. My teachers name is Mr Deebeen. He is so nice!

From Aiden :)

• Hi Aiden ,

It looks you liked the tidy tubs Tuesday but I do not if you did like tidy tubs Tuesday, so did you like tidy tubs Tuesday?
      Aiden I am Heather your sister’s friend.
      And I love the topic Indigenous Australians and it seems like you like it to.

From Heather

• Hi Heather,

Thanks so much for replying to my brother.

I liked the tidy tubs Tuesday and would love to do it again soon.

The Indigenous Australians is a great topic and the good thing is we all like it.

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

3. Hi 4KJ,
    Great post Miss Jordan. I enjoyed the Cultural Infusion Incursion and Toss Out Tuesday.

The Incursion yesterday was lots of fun. I didn’t like it how Big Al banged down the sticks on the table. It gave me a big fright. It was awesome when Big Al’s son Pancakes played the didgeridoo. Pancakes was so good at the didgeridoo, don’t you agree. The Dreamtime story that Big Al told us. It taught us all a lesson about not to brag.

Toss Out Tuesday was fun because it was a good opportunity to clean out my tub because it was very messy but now it’s really neat. I think that there would be a lot of spare paper that we could use. I also think that there would be lots of paper in our recycling bin.

Q. What did you enjoy about our incursion?
    A. I enjoyed when Pancakes payed the didgeridoo and when we learnt about the Dreamtime story that Big Al told us.

Q. What do you know about recycling?
    A. I know that when you are recycling it is important to put plastic in the right bin. You have to make sure what you put in which bin. I enjoyed looking at the video that we watched. It is a big process in recycling.

From Anneliese

• Hi Anneliese,

Thanks so much for your comment. I knew that Puthi would do a great job at leaving comments and they did.

Some of the people in the grade love to do blogging and that is great because it can improve your typing a lot let me tell you that right now.

Yes I do think that pancaked was great at playing and I thought that everybody enjoyed him.

I also wasn’t a big fan when Big Al banged the sticks down on the table but at least he wasn’t going to hurt us or anything.

Thanks again for the blog comment. I can still remember how many tribes there were because it made us say it so many times at so many different things. It is……….

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

4. Hi 4KJ,

The Incursion yesterday was really good. Pancakes and Big Al were really funny. Yesterday toss out Tuesday was really good for me because, everyone you should have seen how much paper I had in my tub. I could hardly even close my tub before I cleaned. But now it is nice, neat and clean!

Well in recycling I think it’s very important to put the right rubbish in the right bin. To recycle bottles, boxes or other things you could use again, just chuck it int the yellow bin! Or if you have just mowed the grass, pulled out weeds or trimmed your trees chuck and you don’t the scraps just chuck it in the green bin! But if you have rubbish like wrappers and food scraps just chuck it the red bin. Well that my facts.

Got to Gallop,

• Hi Ava,

Thanks also for leaving your comment. It is so good to see the number of comments rising.

I know that everyone had great fun yesterday and it was one of the best Tuesdays we have ever had.

It was good because we did two good things and not just one but it is still fun with one right?

I liked the way Big Al made us say 324 so many times and the way he said ‘bulcomor.’

It sounds like your tub needed a clean and I am glad it is nice and clean now. My tub didn’t really need any cleaning but there were a few things I needed to take home from last term and that was about all. I also cleaned some of my red folder out.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

5. Hi 4KJ,

I enjoyed Big Al and Pancakes come. It was fascinating how that crocodile was eight 1/2 metres long and two metres wide! In that dream time story I learnt never to brag about anything because that boy bragged on about everything and when he fought the crocodile they both died two days later.

When pancakes used the Ydakii (Didgeridoo actually means fishing festival) I was amazed at how talented he was. Also how he sang Old McDonald had a Farm while he was playing the Ydakii.

Toss out Tuesday was a good way to get people cleaning out their areas. My tub is neater and cleaner now. I think that Toss out Tuesday was a great idea. Cleaning out your things to keep everything neat and tidy is good. Even though it should be clean all the time.

From Yunus :lol:

• Hi Yunus,

Interesting comment you left there. I thought it was great and I liked it a lot alright.

Thanks so much for leaving it by the way!

It was so cool to listen to Pancakes play the Ydakii. I am sure he enjoyed playing it for us.

It must be a really cool talent and I wish that I could do that because I love it.

Zoe in 4JL has one and I listen to her play it all of the time when I go over to her house.

It was interesting how you said your tub was messy and now it is clean. Well I am just someone who never has an extremely messing tub.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

• Hi Yunus,

Great comment. I like how you put adjectives in your comment! :lol:

I enjoyed Big Al and Pancakes come as well. I though Big Al was funny, I also think he was scary when he told that sad but awesome story about Bookamore. I found it scary because with the sticks he hit the the table and all you heard was a huge, BANG!

I enjoyed Pancakes playing the Yadaki. I think Pancakes is very talented because he could actually play ‘Old Mac’Donald Has a Farm’

Toss out Tuesday was good. I liked how we got to clean out our tubs because mine was, well lets just say extremely messy!

I think toss out Tuesday was a great idea because with the paper we could reuse we put in a tub and the papers that have been used on both sides get chucked out in the recycling bin.

Happy Blogging Yunus,
      Meg :mrgreen: :grin: :wink:

6. Hi 4KJ
    Great post :razz:

I think the incursion was really fun. I liked the story he told us about Bullkamor. It was funny that his son got called Pancakes. He was really good at playing the didgeridoo. It was a good incursion nearly as good as Mark Greenwood’s.

From :cool: Darcy :razz:

• Hi Darcy,

What an awesome comment. I am glad you left it and it was very nice of you do it.

I hope to see some more of them from you soon and everyone else in your group did a great job.

Bullkamor was a funny croc and I am glad it was him that was in the story and not anyone else because he was the perfect croc to be in it.

I think that having a clean tun is a must have thing because without one you can lose things very easy.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

• Hi Andrew,

Awesome comment. It is good to see you reading group leaving a lot of comments.

Pancakes rocked at playing the Ydakii and I thought it was great.

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

7. Hi 4KJ,

Wow! What a great incursion! :P I espesically enjoyed listening the story of that big crocodile and the boy who bragged.

Q. What did you enjoy about the incursion?

A. Well, I enjoyed everything … but my favourite would have had to be the dreamtime stories Big Al and Pancakes told. I wonder who Big Al will pass the story on too …

Q. What do you know about recyling?

A. I know that most paper, aliminum, glass and cardboard can be recyled and then turned into new products. I also know that for private pieces of paper (eg. with details, results on important things etc.) need to be shredded or sent to a special company who deals with private documents before it can be recycled.

Bye for now! :P

Got 2 Gallop,

Millie ♥

• Hi Millie,

Your comment was so detailed and great that some of it was a little hard for me to understand.

I got most of it though!

Everyone did a great job at listening to Big Al and he was a great story teller alright.

It was good to see everybody enjoying listening to him and he was great.

I also think that Pancakes was good at playing the Ydakii and it is an awesome talent to have I know.

Having a clean tun is a good thing and something that I think you must have because you can lose things very easy.

It was a nice chat with you and I hope you can get back to me soon.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

• Hi Millie,

Great blog comment! I also agree that it was a fantastic incursion about Aboriginals and listening to that dream time story about Bookamore. I don’t think that’s how you spell it (Bookamore), I just had a go. Doing the Toss Out Tuesday was also great. Getting rid of the scrunched up bits of paper recycling the work that had a blank page on the back. It felt good throwing things away to have a tidy tub!

First I will talk about the incursion. It was so great and funny! I like the nick-name Pancakes and how he could play the Ydaki (known as the didgeridoo) it was awesome! I agree with EVERYTHING you said about it as well. I really hope that we get to pass on that story he told us.

Toss out Tuesday! Chucking out the rubbish but also re-using the paper that had a blank side on it. Now I have a beat and tidy tub. Do you? I think the whole grade who was here on that day has got everything neat in there tubs!

Great comment again, Millie!

Got 2 Gallop,
      Paris & Jester (my favourite pony).

8. Hello 4KJ,

It has been along time since I was able to drop on your blog but your post caught my attention.

“Grade Four Incursion” in the title had me wondering what it might have been. Incursion can mean an unfriendly entry but I see your incursion was not only friendly, it was very interesting. The local indigenous people in my area are Yuin. Like all Australian indigenous cultures, they have a rich heritage stretching back through time to The Dreaming.

In July this year I wrote a post for a class studying indigenous Australians and their Dreaming. The stories shared aren’t from the Yuin but from assorted cultures…

”Toss Out Tuesday” was also eye catching. There comes a time when we should all look at what we’ve kept. There can be things we no longer used we could recycle, things we could give to others to use when we no longer need them, and, unfortunately, sometimes things we can’t recycle easily.

Like you, I have recently been going through boxes looking for recyclable materials. Magazines of no use for me might be useful for classes wanting to use the pictures for collages, scrap paper might be turned into scrap note paper and used again before recycling, old CDs and DVDs tied in line together with fishing spinners between each can make interesting light reflecting hangings, scraps of material could be used for collages…

The more we can reuse, use differently or recycle the better the world will be. Have you ever considered there might be future companies mining our rubbish tip sites of today in order to reclaim resources we buried as useless?

…and now for something a little different…

Each week I am a part of a group who writes comments on stories written by classes around the world. This week I was surprised to see an entry from Leopold Primary School. Checking, I found the story was from a Year 6 student in Leopold Primary School in London. Did you know there was a London school with the same name as your school? Here is a link to their school site…

They have two Year 4 classes in their school, 4AK and 4AM.

Ross Mannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Dear Ross Mannell,

Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog. I agree that they might be digging under the rubbish tip and they probably will find useless junk.

I did not now that in London there was a school with the same name as our school.

Got to go
      Jack :lol:

• Hi Ross,

Thanks so much for leaving a comment on the blog. It was so nice of you to leave it for us.

I am glad that you got the time to leave at least one of your amazing comments.

You must be a fast typer to get all of these great comments up on blogs around the world.

I am sure everyone who gets them likes them all and would to to see more of them from you again soon.

We love getting your comments and we happy to receive one from you.

It was a great day of Tuesday and I liked it a lot. I am so glad that we had it.

The Incursion was so fun!

I liked the dreamtime story the best!

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

9. Dear 4KJ,

I enjoyed Pancakes playing the didgeridoo and him playing old McDonald had a farm it was pretty cool how he did that on the didgeridoo and also enjoyed Big Al talking about a dream time story called Bocamore it was a very cool story I enjoyed it alot.

From Jacob

• Hi Jacob,

Thanks so much for your wonderful comment. It was so good to see one from you.

I liked the dream time story because it had two meanings…………………

– Don’t brag
      – Don’t be mean to others

Big Al did a great job at telling the story and I am glad he came to speak to us.

I love the topic we are learning about and I am glad that we are doing it. I think that everything we do is very very very very fun.

I hope to see more of these comments from you again soon.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

10. Dear 4KJ and Students

On Tuesday it was a great day we has two special people that came in there names were Pancakes and Al we all laughed at the name pancakes but we settled down.

It was a great day we learnt a lot like how many tribes there were in Australia, there were 324.

We thought there would be more but that was all.

For that day we also had a toss out Tuesday it was fun tossing out everything and did you see the photo of me putting paper in the recycle bin.

That was probably the best day for that week.

I really enjoyed the story how he said there was a big crocodile. In the story was another man who thought he was so brave and he was but he also thought he was so cool and he always showed off.

The crocodiles name was: Bullcamor.
    The crocodile and the (Brave man) both had a fight no one won the fight.

and that was the end of both of them.

Connor F

• Hi Connor,

Nice comment there. It was so nice of you to leave it and I am so glad that you got the time in reading groups to do it.

I don’t think there were many comments on the class blog this morning from Biru wasn’t it?

Big Al and Pancakes did a great job at telling the story and playing the Ydkki.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

11. Hi Everyone,

This is a great post isn’t it!
    The incursion was very interesting and I liked they way that Big Al pronounced his sons name as pancakes, I thought it was very hilarious. I think I learnt a lot of things that has got to do with the Indigenous Australians, how they lived and about their land which is the land we are standing and living on now.

Big Al explained the dream time stories very well, I liked how he made us all get scared when he was telling the stories. It was also very entertaining, even though I got scared. I learnt that there were 324 different indigenous tribes, and they all spoke 324 languages.

Pancakes was very good at playing the didgeridoo, I was amazed how he could speak in it while he was playing. I never do that, could you?
    It was also Toss out Tuesday and Tidy tub Tuesday, I enjoyed cleaning out my tub I thought it was an great opportunity to do this. It feels great when you’ve got a neat and tidy tub, and when you toss out your non-recyclable and recyclable paper so you don’t have a paper filled tub or finishing off work folder.

I thought it was a great day and I had lots of fun, it was a great opportunity to do those 2 things.

By for now,
    Eden :mrgreen:

• Hi Eden,

I agree this is a very great post! :lol:
      I thought that the pancakes name was hilarious too!

I thought it was amazing like how Big Al said that a kangaroo could have walked though our own classroom!

See you soon,
      Ebony :mrgreen:

• Hi Eden,

Thanks so much for your spectacular comment. It is so good to see them all. I hope to see more comments from everyone again soon.

All of the grade 4’s did a great job at listening to Big Al and Pancakes. Good job guys.

It would be so good to see another thing like that because it was so cool and I am glad that we did it.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

12. Dear Miss Jordan and 4KJ,

Great post! Toss out Tuesday was a great idea and I really needed to clean out my tub, because it was extremely messy!

Heer are the answers to the Questions:

What did you enjoy about our incursion?
    A.I enjoyed when Pancakes played the Ydaki(Didgeridoo)

love From,

• Hi Chloe,

Your tub didn’t sound too good at first but now that you have cleaned it, it must be great.

I thought that Toss Out Tuesday was a great idea and I am so glad and happy that we did it.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

13. Hi Miss Jordan and Class,

Great post! :mrgreen:

Q.What did you enjoy about our incursion?

A. I really enjoyed the incursion I was inspired how Pancakes played the Ydakii!

Q.What do you know about recycling?

A. I know that near the end when some of the supplies come out the left over ones can be turned into new supplies.

Great post,
    Eb :lol:

• Hey Ebony,

Great comment you left there. It was so nice of you to leave it and I am so glad that you got the time to leave it in free time.

What a great thing to pick to do. I mean we all must love blogging in some way right?

It was so good to have a Toss Out Tuesday to clean out messy tubs (now clean) because you can find things easier.

I was also so glad that Pancakes and Big Al came to talk about some things. They were great and I would love to see them sometimes again soon.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

• Hi Liv,

Thanks so much for the reply!
        It was a fabulous comment back to me!

Yes everybody should love blogging in a way! :razz:

I was quite glad that Big Ala and Pancakes came to our school to teach us some more about the Aboriginal people!

I loved how Pancakes played the didgeridoo/Ydakii. I also really enjoyed listening to the dream time story! It was kind of strange how they died together!

I learnt so much and I hope that other people did too!

I agree with you it is very good that we had a toss out Tuesday and Tidy Tub Tuesday!

It is amazing and nobody would really think that how some recycling can really be turned into new products!

What did you enjoy about the incursion :?:

What did you learn in the incursion :?:

What do you know about recycling :?:

Did you know that recycling can be turned into new products before we watched the video on BTN

Your Friend,
        Eb :wink:

• Hi Quinn,

Thanks so much for your comment. It was so nice of you to drop by and say hi. I think your comment was great.

I wish you were still at our school because I am sure all of your friends miss you and it is a little different without your sense of humor around.

Just so you know who I am………………….

Olivia your old next door neighbor.

I love to blog and leave comments and I am doing it all of the time.

It was great talking to you! :)

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

14. Hi 4KJ,

I really enjoyed the incursion with Pancakes and Big Al. Pancakes was really good at playing the Yidaki.

I never knew that the meaning of didgeridoo was fishing carnival. It scared me when Big Al had the big sticks and whacked them on the table.

I really enjoyed the dreamtime stories that Big Al told us. My favourite part of the incursion was when Big Al told us about Bullkamor.

Toss Out Tuesday was a great idea to get everyone involved in cleaning out their tubs. I am pretty sure that everyone’s tub is clean.

From Mitchell

• Hey Mitch,

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. It was very nice of you to and I am so glad you did it.

I hope that you will leave more of them soon. Thanks for leaving it by the way.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

• Hi Anthony,

It doesn’t matter how long your comment is. It could be up to the sky or to your hands you never know.

I think that it was very nice of you to leave it for us all to read and have a look at during class.

It would be awesome if you could keep leaving them for us.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol: ;) :cool:

• Hey Anthony,

Great comment! :razz:

The dream time story was my favourite part as well. It really taught you a lesson. I think the lesson was probably not to brag.

When I was cleaning out my tub I chucked out a lot of paper. I think everyone did.

Harry :lol: :razz: :cool: