Mark Greenwood Author Visit

Today the Grade Four students had an incursion with West Australian author, Mark Greenwood.

Mark has written many award winning picture story books that focus on Australian history and legends. Some of our favourite stories by Mark are Jandamarra, The Legend of Lasseter’s Reef, Simpson and his Donkey and Our Big Island.

We have been reading Mark’s books in class, and it was great to meet him in person and listen to his stories. He told us lots of great tales from his adventures in outback Australia and abroad.

*****

After the incursion, we wrote letters to Mark to thank him for visiting and to inform him of our highlights of the presentation. Miss Jordan will email the blog link to Mark so he can read the letters.

*****

Thank you to Mark Greenwood for inspiring and motivating the grade four students to write, tell stories and follow your passions!

*****

What did you enjoy about the presentation?

Do you have a favourite Mark Greenwood book?

What do you like to write stories about?

How did Mark inspire you to create and write stories?

22 thoughts on “Mark Greenwood Author Visit

1. Hi 4KJ,

What a great post this is. I really enjoyed listening to Miss Jordan, read some of Mark Greenwood’s books, didn’t you.

Did you know that Mark Greenwood inspired me to try and be an author. I am going to do the best I can at writing stories like he is to try and be an author.

I enjoyed when Mark told us that he had been to Gallipoli, and he saw the little donkey, I forgot the donkey’s name, let me try. Was is Duffy? Please tell me if I’m right or wrong because I basically can not remember!

My favourite book would have to be, the ‘Magic Boomerang’. I also have a second favourite which was ‘ Our Big Island’!

I like to write stories about puppies, because they are so cute they inspire me to just write a puppy book. Once when I was in my lounge room thinking what I should write for a story, I saw on the TV a dog family. So I decided that I would write a story about a dog family.
    |
    A quick summary about the story, there are four dogs a there is one new puppy and they are separated from each other and they, find each again and they find a nice owner, and live together for the rest of they lives. Unfortunately the oldest dog there which was the dad, died! πŸ™

Mark inspired me to write stories by, telling me that he went on all adventures around Australia, and that he found stuff like, gold and that inspired him to write a book, and I want to be like him so, him telling me all of the trips he had made me want to write stories.

Well, lovely post again, Miss Jordan!

Happy Blogging,
    Meg πŸ˜† : wink:

• Hi Meg,

I just finished reading your comment and I am impressed! When Mark Greenwood came to visit it was such a great incursion! Do you agree?

The Magic Boomerang was a great book. I would love to go to all those places. So is Our Big Island. That was a good book as well.

I really want to read the book Moon Dye Jo. I found it a bit annoying how he told us the story but not the ending. That’s why in my letter I said, ‘you left our minds with eager questions waiting for there answers.

Great comment again Meg!

Got 2 Gallop,
      Paris ♥

• Hi Paris,

I thought that your comment was a really good one back to Meg. B)

Have great fun with them.

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

2. Dear 4KJ,

Thanks so much to Miss Jordan for writing this blog post. I think that it was a very good one to write about.

I think that Mark Greenwood has written some amazing books and they have got some very good information in them that would be very helpful to us I think.

It would be so cool to know where all of this gold would be and even for Jake to get to hold it. How cool!

I must say all of the books he writes are really good and writing a book for the first time is not very easy let me tell you that right here and now.

I have tried many times and failed every one but even that doesn’t stop me for my passion to write books.

I am sure it is something for everyone to enjoy and do and the more you read then the more you have ideas for your stories.

HERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

I liked the way Mark told us what gave him the idea to write the books he did write and how he did it.

No I don’t because the ones we read were great but some of the other ones sounded a lot more interesting. I would have liked to have read the one where the man tried to escape from all of the jails and the one about the donkey.

I like to write horror books that make you want to wonder what is going to happen next just like the series of goosebumps.

The way he explained where he got all of his stories from and what gave him the passion to become an author.

I would love to meet another author with such amazing passion for writing stories and I have to say this one thing here and now while I remember it……….

Millie you will be a really good author when you grow up if you want to be one and I think that your imagination could give younger kids the passion to write books as well.

Everyone else will be good as well but I just think that Millie’s writing stands out really well to me and she should follow her dreams and go through whatever meets.

I hope you guys all enjoyed seeing Mark and would like to write books just like he did. If not I hope you all find the passion for something you would like to do when you are older.

Got 2 Gallop,
    Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

3. To 4KJ,

Great post Miss Jordan.

My favourite book that Mark Greenwood talked about would be… well I liked three Moondyne Joe, Lasseters Reef (Sorry if I spelt the book wrong) and Simpson and his donkey Duffy.

Well thats all for now,
    Anthony πŸ˜† πŸ˜›

• Hi Anthony,

Thanks so much for your great comment. It was so good of you to leave it and I am so glad you got the time to.

It would be so cool to see much much much more comments from you soon. I think that they are all great.

I liked those three books as well because the stories behind them were so cool it was just like I wanted to be them.

I hope that we all get to read much much much much more books sooner or later with each other.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Hey Anthony,

Fantastic comment ❗ πŸ˜›

My favourite story Mark Greenwood told was Simpson and his donkey. I found it really scary when Mark told us he saw Duffy.

I was really cool when he showed us the gold.

Harry πŸ˜› :cool πŸ˜†

• Hi Harry,

I liked your comment you wrote there because it had some very cool things in it.

I was so glad to here that we were meeting an author because they inspire anyone to keep writing.

I think that if we don’t want to write then we will always find the passion for something else we like.

I hope to see more of these awesome comments from you again in reading groups soon.

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• To Andrew,

great comment Anthony thank you for it ass well.

My favourite book of mark green would is sipmson and his donky.

got to go
      Riley

4. dear 4KJ,
    I was not at the presentation by Mark Greenwood because I was at the royal childrens hospital to decide if I was having either a stoma or an appendicostomy.

HERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS.

q#1) What did you enjoy about the presentation.

a#1) I was not at the presentation.

q#2) Do you have a favourite Mark Greenwood book.

a#2) I do have a favourite book by Mark Greenwood and it is called Jandamarra.

Q#3) What do you like to write story’s about.

a#3) I like to write story’s about basketball , football , aliens , zombies , dinos , permian monsters , cats and dogs.

q#4) How did Mark inspire you to create and write story’s.

a34)

5. Hi 4KJ,

What a joy it was to have Mark Greenwood visit Leopold Primary School! We are so glad that he came.

Everyone’s comments are wonderful… Well I only read a couple, but they were excellent!

What did I enjoy about the presentation… I liked how he told us his adventures he has had and the reason why he gets inspired to write books. I also like, and he said this as well, how he liked to add colour to history.

My favourite Mark Greenwood book would have to be a battle between, The Magic Boomerang and Jandamarra. They are both splendid books.

I like to write stories about what I have a passion for, which is horses. I like to write narratives so much that my hands get sore. I put what happened to me in a diiferent way. Say if I fell off a horse I would write about a girl who fell off and got badly injured and put a lot of detail into it.

Mark Greenwood inspired me to be a writer or a more improved writer because he went on so many adventures to find out all these old stories.

Great post Miss Jordan!

Got 2 Gallop,
    Paris ♥

• Hi Paris,

Thanks so much for leaving a comment on the blog. It was really nice of you to do it so well done.

I think and hope that everyone will leave more comments on the blog because it is a really fun thing to do.

I hope to see much much much much more comments from you soon.

Got 2 Gallop
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ :cool;

• Hi Paris

It was great to hear about Mark Greenwood visiting your school, his books sound fabulous.I am very impressed by everyone’s letters and comments, sounds like he was a very popular guest to the school.

Thank you Miss Jordan for organising.

Regards Lara (Paris’s Mum)

6. dear 4KJ,

HERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS.

a#1) I was not at the presentation.

a#4) I was not at the presentation so I was not inspired by him at all.

Sincerely,
    Mitchell,s

7. Hi 4KJ,

Great post!

I really enjoyed Mark Greenwood coming. I think that all his books are great and it is so cool that he got to come here.

I think that we all enjoy it and I hope that he comes and visits again soon. I would give his books to any one because I am sure they would enjoy it.

Jess πŸ˜† :mrgreen: πŸ™‚

• Hi Jess,

Thanks so much for your wonderful blog comment. I have been blogging all morning because I have been on my blog and Mrs Yollis’ blog.

I hope to see more comments from you on this blog post soon so keep it up and see you at school.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Hi Jess,

I enjoyed having mark here because he is a really good anther and I thank mark for coming to Leopold primary school. Jess I really enjoyed mark here and wish him the best luck on righting your stories.

From Jake πŸ™‚

8. Hi 4KJ,

Great Post! πŸ˜›

I really enjoyed the Mark Greenwood visit, it was fantastic!

Q. What did you enjoy about the presentation?

A. I enjoyed hearing Mark Greenwood’s tales of his adventures here in Australia, and over seas. Especially when he was in Gallipoli, and he saw the donkey who was supposedly Jack’s donkey, it was just amazing!

Q. Do you have a favourite Mark Greenwood book?

A. So hard to decide! I love all Mark’s books, but my favourite would have to be The Legend Of Lasseters Reef, because it was so intruging! The gold reef sounded gorgeous, and it would have been really hard trying to find it. Just quietly, I don’t think Bugs would be able to cope with all that working! πŸ˜‰

Q. What do you like to write stories about?

A. I like to write stories about horses because horses are basically my life! Suprise! πŸ˜›

Got to Gallop,
    Millie ♥

• Hi Millie,

Thanks so much for leaving a comment on this blog post. It was very nice of you to leave it so well done.

I would like to see much much much much more of them from you very soon. It would be cool.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

9. Hi 4KJ,

Great Post!

The Mark Greenwood vist was very fun my Favouite part was when he told us about the legend of Moondyne Joe but he dident tell us how he got out of the jail with exra bars and spikes on the and the guvaner said if you can get out of this jail I will set you free,But luckuly Miss Jordan read it in class.

Your Classmate
    Connor.L. πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

10. Dear 4KJ

I enjoyed the stories that Mark told is about and all the adventurers he went on.

My favourite Mark Greenwood book would be the legend of Lasseter’s reef because it is so mystical and exciting.

Um, I like writing narratives about made up characters. Because his books just made me want to write stories. :mrgreen:

Got to go
    Jack :lol:`