The One and Only Ivan

In 4KJ we love to read. At the start of the term we began a class novel titled The One and Only Ivan, by Katherine Applegate.

About the book

Ivan is a gorilla who lives at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade with his animal companions. While he is very used to this existence in his domain, he makes a change in his life and the lives of others, with the help of his friends. The One and Only Ivan is a work of fiction that is based on a true story.

Mrs Hembree is a teacher librarian in Seattle, USA. She introduced The One and Only Ivan to Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan last year. She recommended it to us because the students at her school enjoyed it so much.

Mrs Hembree made a fabulous book trailer. We watched the book trailer before reading the story to tune us into the text.

*****

Our reflections

We have been reading a bit of The One and Only Ivan every day this term and we enjoyed it very much. Here are our thoughts and reflections. Please be aware that our reflections contain spoilers!

*****

What did you think about The One and Only Ivan? Do you have a reflection to add?

What did you think of the characters in this book?

Were there any special messages in The One and Only Ivan?

Can you recommend any other books that the students in 4KJ might enjoy?

8 thoughts on “The One and Only Ivan

Hi! my name is Benjamin and I come from St Thomas the Apostle(Australia,Victoria). I think that short clip and the information really told a good story and I’m glad I came across this AMAZING blog, Great job guys and keep up the good bloging!

From Benjamin ๐Ÿ™‚

• Dear Benjamin,

Thank you for the great comment on our class blog. We enjoy looking at this blog and doing a lot of this on it so it is good to see people liking what we have done.

The One And Only Ivan was a great book to read and I think that we all enjoy reading it very much.

I think that a lot of people in my grade enjoy it and it was good my teacher did a post for every one to see what it was like.

Thank you again for the great comment.

From Jess ๐Ÿ˜† :mrgreen: ๐Ÿ™‚

• Hi Jess,

Thanks so much for replying to Bejinman. It was so nice of you to leave it for him.

Yes I also think that it is great that Miss Jordan writes such great blog posts on the blog for everyone to look at.

I hope that there will be heaps more very very very very soon.

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Hi Benjamin,

Thank you for your great blog comment we really appreciate it!

Have you got a blog?
      If you do I will love to leave a comment on it and read some posts!

I really enjoyed chatting to you and reading your blog comment but I really have to go.

Bye,
      Princess

• Hi Princess,

Thanks so much fr replying to Bejiman. It was so nice of you to do it.

I am sure he will see it soon.

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜Ž

2. Hello
    I am from a different school and I am in grade 5, but I like how you did your own comments. The book sounds very good. I like all of your comments and they are all very different. I will try to find the book somewhere to read it.

Maddy

• Hi Maddy,

Thanks for the AWESOME comment!

Well I don’t know where you can get the book. SORRY ๐Ÿ™

The book is really good! I wish you can read the book. Then you will realize how spectacular the book is!

Bye,
      Princess

• Dear Maddy,

Thank you so much for the great comment. It is good to see people from different schools leaving comments on here, so great job!

The One And Only Ivan is a great book and it is good to read. I won’t tell you what happens just in case you do read it!

Thank you again for the great comment on our class blog.

From Jess ๐Ÿ˜† :mrgreen: ๐Ÿ™‚