Learning About The First Australians

As we have previously blogged about, the grade four students at Leopold Primary School are currently learning about First Contacts.

Our student teacher, Miss Smith, has taught three great inquiry lessons this week.

Earlier in the we week focussed on the conditions of the land in Australia when the Aboriginals first arrived. We also explored family life for the first Aboriginal Australians before European settlement.

To demonstrate their learning, students created a story board to show a typical day for the first Australians.

We then started to think about what life was like for the first Australians and how different our lives are today. To compare how Aboriginal people live today compared to the first indigenous Australians, students made Venn diagrams.

Yesterday we read a dreamtime story titled Rainbow Bird by Eric Maddern and Adrienne Kennaway.

Students then enjoyed learing some interesting facts about Aboriginal art. We discovered the symbols that were used in indigenous desert art. Students created their own messages and stories for other people to interpret, using the symbols.

*****

What was life like for the first Australians?

What did indigenous Australians have to do during a typical day?

How is your life different to the lives of the first Australians?

What message did you make with the indigenous symbols?

15 thoughts on “Learning About The First Australians

1. Dear 4KJ

I really enjoyed learning about the first Australians and I hope to learn more this was a really fun topic same with all the other topics but this topic was the best because you get to learn more about the first Australians.

You get to know how much people came at the one time and i also got to see how they got to Australia.

I am so exited to learn more about the First Australians 😛

2. Dear 4KJ,

I have enjoyed learning about The first contacts. My favorite activity is the symbols were you have to write aboriginal symbols and your partner had to guess what it was.

What is your favorite activity?

From Jacob 😈 👿

3. Hi 4KJ,

I think it’s great to be learning about the indigenous Australians for this Term and I have really enjoyed it.
    I also enjoyed the activities that we have been doing in class about the indigenous Australians.

Now I have some answers for the questions,

Q.1) What was life like for the first Australians?

A.1) I am not exactly sure about what life was like for the Indigenous Australians, but I am guessing life for the Indigenous Australians would of been a bit complicated to hunt and find food for families and other aboriginals.

Q.2) What did indigenous Australians have to do during a typical day?

A.2) I think that the Indigenous Australians had to hunt and protect their families.

That’s all the the questions that I can answer.

Bye for now.

Your classmate,
    Eden :mrgreen:

4. Hi guys,

Love love the pictures you guys drew! I also loved the book we were reading yesterday and the Indigenous Art we did they were all so much fun!!

Q. What was life like for the first Australians?

A. I think it would be really cold because our clothes would only be possum skin and other kinds of skins!

Q. What did indigenous Australians have to do during a typical day?

A. Well, I think they would hunt for food, eat it with there family, then they might play, then after that they have lunch. And stuff like that.

Q. How is your life different to the lives of the first Australians?

A. We don’t hunt for food!

Q.What message did you make with the indigenous symbols?

A. I made… A human walks in the rain to fetch a bowl of grubs and sees a kangaroo.

What Indigenous symbols did you make?
    Have you ever made a Indigenous painting?
    Have you ever made some Indigenous symbols?
    Did you have fun making them?

Well I sure did have fun making the symbols! I am so looking forward for more and I wish my classmates are looking forward for doing more exciting and interesting things.

Gtg (Got to go)
    Princess

5. Hey 4KJ,

Answer to question one. Back then I think the life would be hard, tiring and fun.

Answer to question two. They would both tell dream time stories. The men would go hunting.
    The women would collect seeds and plants.

Answer to question three. They have cars, electronics, They still follow the stars to get back home when they where on boats and much more.

Answer to question four. Mine was Man spears Kangaroo Emu Possum humans bowl

That’s all,
    Anthony 😆 😛

6. Hi 4KJ,

Great post. I really liked how all the pictures of the work stood out.

Q1. What was life like for the first Australians?

A.1 I couldn’t answer that.

Q2. What did indigenous Australians have to do during a typical day?

A.2 The indigenous Australians went out in the bush hunting everyday. The females all had a job and all the male had a job. If you were six years old or older and you were a boy you were classified a man.

Q3. How is your life different to the lives of the first Australians?

A.3 My life is a lot more different than the first Australians because I have electronic devices and back then they didn’t have any electronic devices. I also don’t have to hunt for food.

Q4. What message did you make with the indigenous symbols?

A.4 I made a message and it was “A man was walking with a bowl and he found a plum bush picked some of, it started to rain and he followed a star back to his house.

From Mitchell

7. Dear 4KJ,

Here are my symbols I have wrote

Possum tracks well man spears possum 1

Rain emu nest man spears emu 2

Man nest kangaroo man spears kangaroo man well 3

Can you crack my three codes?

From Jacob 😈 👿

8. Hi 4KJ,

Great post about the First Australians!

I have learn’t so much this week. When you said our new inquiry topic was going to be first contacts I was so confused but now I know!

I think life was dry and hot and they would have to go hunting everyday for food.

Boys went hunting while women collected seeds and plants. They got water etc.

The first Australians didn’t go buy there food at the supermarket but now they do.

Well my message is up there! See if you can work it out!

Good job again Miss Jordan!

Got 2 Gallop,
    Paris ♥

9. Dear Year 4,
    I found myself wondering about all the questions you have put up on the blog!
    I know a very simple answer but could easily research this topic way more thoroughly!
    I personally think that life was difficult for the first Australians because it’s quite hard I have to say when you move from one country to another! Many people probably didn’t know what to expect when they first came to Australia and it would’ve taken quite as while to get settled into a new home (country).
    Another question I’m interested about is…
    What did indigenous Australians have to do during a tropical day?
    I have not got a clue!
    I am longing to find out though! Good question!
    I could respond to this next question in more detail but i’ll give you three points and you can research the rest because I don’t want to spoil it!
    *We have homes!
    *Most of us are very lucky to have cars and motorcycles!
    *We have shops to buy groceries from!
    And now for the last question!
    Well I have to admit! I have no clue about this question!
    Hopefully you can find an answer!
    Warm regards,
    Gem.

• Dear Gem,

Thank you so much for that very, very good comment on our class blog. That was very nice of you to leave such a very long comment. So as I said before thank you very much.

As you read in the post it is a great topic and I think that we were all very interested.

I think that some of us had a idea what it was but I think that we are all learning new things every day.

Thank you also for answering all those questions. It is good to hear what other people think and know.

As I said before what a fantastic comment. It was very nice of you to leave a comment but you also left a long comment that was very long so that is great.

I think that we had all enjoyed learning about this and we can’t wait to learn more.

Thank you again for the great comment.

From Jess 😆 :mrgreen: 🙂

10. Dear 4KJ
    I hope you had a very fun time leaning the symbol and reading the bed time book.
    I would love to learn more symbols.
    I had learned meny thing from you’r class.
    thank’s
    Alina

• Dear Alina,

Thank you for the great comment on the blog. It is very nice of you to.

I think that we have all enjoyed learning about symbols. I think that my whole class thinks that they are fun to learn about!

Thanks again for the great comment on our class blog.

From Jess 😆 :mrgreen: 🙂

11. Hi 4JK,
    It sounds like you are having GREAT fun leaning about Australian history.
    When our class was learning about Australian history we had and AWESOME time as well.
    Thanks,
    Sophie

12. Hello 4KJ
    I enjoyed reading your blog.
    It looks like you have a great school and a lovely teacher. It made me think about what life was like for the first Australians. It was very interesting.
    Regards,
    Jessi

13. Dear 4KJ and Miss Jordan,

What a great blog post. I am so glad that you got there in the end to put it up there Miss Jordan. It looks great and the work that Paris and Chloe did was amazing.

It has been a a long time I think since I have left a comment to the whole class and this has been my first since the holidays.

Life would have been so much harder 50,000 years ago so we are so lucky to have all of the things we have now a days because they didn’t have most of that stuff back then.

HERE IS SOME THINGS WE HAVE NOW THAT THEY WOULDN’T HAVE HAD:

– Computers
    – Phones
    – iPods
    – Lighters
    – Cars
    – Clothes
    – Shops
    – Money
    – Board Games
    – Toilets
    – Taps
    – Showers/Baths
    – Pools
    – Spas
    HERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

I think that life for them would have been hard but a little bit fun as well.

They would get up and the boys over 6 years old would go out hunting and the girls would get plants and seeds.

We have all of the things I said on my list before but they didn’t.

I made up that a man caught a kangaroo under a bush plum and then he ate his bowl of Quakks and ate the kangaroo.

Thanks so much Miss Jordan for writing this blog post and see you soon at school.

Got 2 Gallop,
    Liv 😆 😉 😎