New Inquiry Topic – First Contacts

Our inquiry topic for Term Four is called First Contacts.

In this history based unit, students will explore:

• Indigenous history of the eighteenth century
  • The lives of the aborginal people at this time
  • Those who travelled to Australia on the First Fleet

First Contacts Australian History Series Book

Some of our focus questions this term will be:

• Why did the great journeys of exploration occur?
  • What was life like for Aboriginal people before the arrival of the Europeans?
  • Why did the Europeans settle in Australia?
  • What were the early interactions like between the Aboriginal people and the European settlers?

The students have enjoyed the introductory lessons in this unit of work. We are all looking forward to learning more about Australia’s history.

What have you already learnt in our First Contacts unit of work?

What do you hope to learn this term?

Can you describe what life was like for the first australians?

15 thoughts on “New Inquiry Topic – First Contacts

1. Hi 4KJ,

I am really excited to learn about the first contacts and the first fleet.

But I am mostly looking forward to learning about the convicts.

I’m not quite sure if I can describe what life was like for the first Australians but I will try. I think it would be very cold in the winter because they only wore possum skin. It would be scary for the boys because when they just turned six they would go out and hunt with the men so technically they turned into men.

I’m not quite sure If I would be very keen on the food like eating grubs but I guess what ever you find is you dinner.

I’m really looking forward to learning more!

Got to gallop on Beau and Teddy (Horses I ride),
    Ava :mrgreen:

2. Hi 4KJ,

I enjoy learning about the earth’s history. It’s fascinating how the first Australians came from Africa. My mum told me that the Aboriginal people went across the ocean for so long that they found Australia years and years later. I also know that the Aboriginals had over 250 tribes.

Q1. I have learnt that the First Australians came on log rafts. Also I learnt that the Aboriginal people had come from Africa.

Q2. I hope to learn about why the British came to take over Australia. Why didn’t the British just let the land be the Aboriginals?

I would of liked to answer the last question but I don’t know how to describe the Aboriginals life back then.

Do you know why the Aboriginals had over 250 tribes?

From Yunus

3. Hi 4KJ,
    Great post 😛

I am really enjoying the new Inquiry topic. I am sure I will enjoy this topic as I already enjoy it.

Q. What have you already learnt in our First Contacts unit of work?
    A.I have learnt a lot such as the Europeans came to Australia, when you turned six you were considered a man and much more.

Q.What do you hope to learn this term?
    A.I hope to learn about why they came to Australia instead of another country.

Q.Can you describe what life was like for the first Australians?
    A. I think it would of been very peaceful and quiet and fun!

From 😎 Darcy 😛

• Hi Darcy,

I think that you left a great comment.
      yes I also am enjoying this Inquiry topic.

A.1 I have learnt that if you were 6 years or older you were a men. I also learnt that the aboriginals made there shelter or house out of bark. plus they made conoo out of tree bark as was.

I think that it would be really fun leaning about how to hunt and spear animals and the tecneets of every thing that they need to no.

What would you like to do if you were back in the aboriginal days?

got to go
      Riley :]

4. Hi 4KJ,

Great post, Miss Jordan! 😛

A. I have have learnt about the diffrent jobs that men and women had. I have also learnt about the different boomerangs.

Q. What do you hope to learn this term?

A. I already know a bit about the British convicts, but I would like to learn more about convicts. I would also like to learn about the first fleet.

Q. Can you describe what life was like for the first Australians?

A. Well, I think it would have been pretty cold! I also don’t think I would have had much to eat then, because I’m a vegetarian! 😉

Got 2 Gallop,
    Millie ♥

5. Hello 4KJ,
    I am definitely enjoying learning about First Contacts. I find it interesting to learn about the Indigenous Australians and the First Fleet.

I enjoyed going on http://www.abc.net.au/dustechoes/dustEchoesFlash.htm/“>Dust Echoes. Dust Echoes is an website where you can watch stories from the Dreamtime. My favourite stories would have to be The Curse, The Bat and the Butterfly and Whirlpool. Dust Echoes is a lot of fun so why not have a go.

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS
    A. I have learnt that the First Contacts (Indigenous Australians) were African.

Q. What do you hope to learn this term?
    A. I hope to learn how Australia developed, how many people were in the largest tribe and why did the British (The First Fleet) come to Australia instead of another country?

A. Life for the first Australians was hard. After boys had turned six they had to go out with the men and hunt food for their family. The Aborigines didn’t have any technology. Women would collect water and seeds for food and weave baskets.

I am so excited to learning more about the First Contacts!

From Anneliese

6. Hello Miss Jordan and year 4JK,
    At my school, in term 1 in HSIE we learned about the British Colonisation and what happened to the convicts. We learned that convicts were put in prison just for being guilty for doing the smallest things such as stealing food. The aboriginals tried to tell the convicts to leave, but since Aboriginals didn’t speak English, the convict stayed.
    It is a fascinating subject to study and recommend the subject to study (even though your already studying it)
    From Georgia

7. Pingback: Learning About The First Australians | 4KJ @ Leopold Primary School

8. Dear 4KJ,

I have enjoyed learning about the first Australians.

I have enjoyed going on Dust echoes

The answers to the Questions:

A. I have learnt that they had houses made out of bark and sticks.

Q. What do you hope to learn this term?
    A. I hope to find out how they made their houses
    and How they made their clothes

A. They life might of been fun and relaxing.

Bye For Now,
    Chloe :mrgreen:

9. Dear 4KJ,

Maybe the Australians didn’t even have metal pots maybe they had to make one for themselves.
    Maybe they had to make them by wood or straw.

10. It must be dangerous out there.Lots of stuff like snakes because there was no maediesaen that time and no body could help you. Dangerous because there could be daengoros plants and berries that could kill or sick. I like your blog. Bye!

11. Hi 4KJ!

It must be hard to be a 6 year old boy, and to go hunting already!
    I would be so scared! Then the girls must be lucky, because they get to stay home and clean and cook. Though, it should look very beautiful long ago. Full of trees and nature. Long ago, they didn’t have electronics, buildings and cars. All I’m saying, is that it was a hard life back then!

12. I think that maybe you could research some more have you tried asking some people which also think the same ideas and what they have learned about the old australia people like how i have just learned that a long time ago if i were from australia and i was 6 years old I think that it must be scary going hunting and they were no building’s that must be scary having to live in the woods where there snakes and al most no shelter from rain I think you could try having a school outing or try something with a big green leaf and put water on it while one person is under and ask how it feels 🙂

13. Hi 4KJ!
    It must be scary for the 6 year old boy to just go hunting at that age,because I would be so scared! Where did the old Australian’s live and in what did they live in? It must have been so much easier for the girls, but what did they ? Did they clean where they lived?
    Hope you like your new unit of inquiry!

14. Dear 4KJ

I think that the first australians had a hard life and that they had no shelter or food they cant just go to the super market and buy a pies of chicken.They had to hunt it. i think about 9 year old boy would go hunting with the men and the women would cook it.

by and have a nice day

ps:sorry for the bad spelling