Learning About Fractions

We have been learning about fractions in Maths for the past three weeks.

Our learning intentions focussed on:

• Understanding numerators and denominators
  • Using and understanding a fraction wall
  • Identifying and naming a variety of fractions
  • Putting fractions on a number line
  • Comparing fractions and identifying fractions that are greater than/less than other fractions
  • Recognising equivalent fractions
  • Understanding mixed fractions
  • Identifying fractions in a collection of objects
  • Using fractions in problem solving
  • Identifying the decimals and percentages of common fractions

Here are some fractions websites for you to practise your skills

*****

What did you learn about fractions during our maths lessons?

How did your fractions knowledge improve over the past three weeks?

Do you have a fractions tip for other students?

When do you use or see fractions in every day life?

24 thoughts on “Learning About Fractions

1. Dear 4KJ and Miss Jordan,

What a great post you put up here. Ones to do with Maths are always a good thing so keep it up. I love to read a new post that has been put up on the blog so again keep it up.

I must say you always have good learning intentions Miss Jordan you keep that up too. Do you pick them or do they get chosen by someone else ❓

It would be such a great thing guys if we could get a lot more comments on this blog post because that is what we need to have.

HERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

I learnt that there are a lot of different fractions around the world. I also learnt that we use Fractions all of the time without realizing it.

It has improved because I now know where fractions would go on a number line.

Yes I do and that tip is………. Don’t just think that an eight would be bigger than a fifth just because the number eight is bigger think about it before you do it.

I see fractions when I help my mum cook the roast on a Sunday night and I also see some in my room on my desk.

Thanks again for sharing this information with me Miss Jordan I look forward to seeing much much more of these posts from you soon.

Keep it up and remember 4KJ try to leave more comments on this blog post than what was left on the other one before this.

Got 2 Gallop on Barney,
    Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Hi Olivia,

I agree what a great post Miss Jordan put up. When I look back at all the main focuses we were focusing on it seems WAY more than I thought!

Good question by the way ( Do you pick them or do they get chosen by someone else? )

I also have to say that you are a great blogger. And learner seen as though you completed all the maths tasks great!

Got 2 Gallop,
      Paris And Every Other Horse In The World ♥

• Hi Paris,

That closing you have there has made me really think of how much you love horses.

I was just joking of course I know you and Millie and Ava are horse crazy. (Who wouldn’t know that ❓ )

The blog posts we all write are also so good that I wish I could just sit there and read them all.

It would be so good if you could keep leaving comments to me like this.

Great comment again and keep it up for me and all of the other bloggers in the world!

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

2. Hey 4KJ,

Great post!

Learning about fractions was so much fun.I learnt so much.

I learnt about the numerator and denominator. I also learnt about using fractions in a problem solving.

I improved at recognizing equivalent fractions.

I use fractions when i’m racing my go kart. I look to see how full my petrol tank is.

Keep up the great blogging,

Harry πŸ˜† 😎 πŸ˜†

• Hi Harry,

It must be really fun to ride a go kart so I must try it one day when I have the time to.

Thanks for leaving a comment on this blog post by the way, it is good to see much more people commenting on this blog posy.

I hope that you can keep leaving these great comments on all different posts as well.

The answers you put to the questions as really good so please keep it up for me and the rest of 4KJ.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Hi Harry,
      Great blog comment. I really enjoyed reading this blog post. I have definitely improved at fractions.

I have heard about the numerator and denominators in grade three, but I didn’t really understand what they meant.

ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS.

I learnt what the numerator is and what the denominator is. The numerator how parts are shaded or how many you have and the denominator is how many parts it’s broken into.

My fractions knowledge improved by learning about mixed fractions and putting fractions on a number line. I used to have no idea where fractions went on a number line unless they were quarters or halves. I had no idea what a mixed fraction was but I learnt it is when you have a whole number and a fraction.

My fraction tip is to remember that a quarter is half of a half and when putting fractions on a number line to start with the basics like a half, a quarter, a third and three quarters.

I see fractions while watching Australia’s got Talent on TV. I see them when the judges are voting and sometimes three quarters of them say yes.

Fractions has become a much easier topic for me. I never knew that a quarter was half of a half. Hopefully no forgets this useful information about fractions.

I also never knew that fractions could be percentages or decimals. The trickiest percentage for me is breaking it into thirds. It is 33.3333333333333333333 percent and the 3 always goes on and never stops.

Anneliese

• Hi Anneliese,

Thanks so much for also replying to Harry. It was so nice of you to and I am glad you did.

I love it when everyone gets involved in blogging because it is so interesting to do and who wouldn’t want to do it ❓

I must say like Miss Jordan said……… that was a really good comment you left there.

I am so glad that you also answered all of the questions Miss Jordan asked you.

It was so good of you to also put some information about what you learnt in there just like I did too.

I must say if you keep up the comments like this then there will be a lot of visitors on our blog.

Keep up the great comments for 4KJ OK ❓ and I hope to see you leaving them very very very very soon.

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

3. Hi 4KJ,

Great post about our latest maths focus… FRACTIONS! Well done Miss Jordan.

I have learn’t so many more things about fraction. Some I haven’t even thought about before. Such as that you can put fractions into decimals and percentages. I had not a clue. LITERALLY!

My favourite focus out of all was learning how to put numbers on a fraction line. What was yours?

I learn’t about a lot of things but putting fractions into decimals and percentages. Also the fraction wall helped me a lot.

My fraction knowledge improved by 1000%! I have to admit fractions wasn’t my strongest strength in maths! Now I know a lot more.

I actually can’t remember a fraction strategy but just remember a quarter is half of a half. There’s a tip!

I see fractions in a netball game because sometimes when you get a penalty pass, they say “penalty pass in the center THIRD” so they can even say the 2/3 of the court.

Keep the blogging up 4KJ!

Got 2 Gallop,
    Paris ♥

• Hi Paris,

What a great comment! πŸ˜›

I agree. The post is terrific!

I’ve learned heaps too. I didn’t know that you could put fractions into decimals and percentages, and I also didn’t know how to order fractions on a number line.

Here are the answers to your questions:

My favorite fraction lesson was probably putting fractions on a number line as well. I used to have no idea how to do it, but now I defintely do! πŸ˜›

Oh and here are my answers to the questions on the post:

Q. What did you learn about fractions during our maths lessons?

A. I learnt about how to put fractions on a number line, and I also learnt how fracions can be the same as decimals and percentages.

Q. How did your fractions knowledge improve in the past three weeks?

A. My fraction knowledge improved a lot! At the start of the topic I barely knew anything about fractions, but now I know loads!

Q. Do you have any fractions tips for other students?

A. To remeber which is the denominator and which is the numerator, think of the d in denominator as d for down. The denominator is the bottom number, so if think of the denominator going down.

Q. When do you use or see fractions in everyday life?

A. I use fractions all the time in real life, but I’m going to tell you one of the ways I use it around … HORSES! (suprise suprise!) I use fractions when I’m measuring out Bugs’ / Storm’s feed. For example, Bugs might be having a quarter cup of Founder – Guard, a half cup of lucerne chaff, and a quarter cup of pony pellets.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Millie ♥

• Hi Millie,

Thanks also fr leaving a comment on the blog. It was so nice of you to do it so please keep it up.

Apparently you and Anneliese left really good comments on the blog so great job and keep it up.

You must have typed fast to get this done in reading groups because I could but I think that it might be hard for others.

It would be so good if you could keep up the great comments on the class blog.

I liked how you said you used fractions when you are around horses and that is cool and good.

It can also make it sound very interesting to hear about.

By the way the answers you put to the questions were really good so also keep that up as well.

I think that the comment you left was so good I can’t wait for more so keep it up.

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

4. Dear Liv,

Wow, all I can say is wow., You are very good at writing blog comments. You leave a lot f them and that is a great thing to do. I can tell that you like to leave comments and write blog posts a lot.

It is also good how you say HERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS. When you do that people know if you are answering the question or not.

I enjoyed learning about fractions. Well, I think we all did. It was good to learn more about them even more and learn some new things.`

Thank you for the great comment on the 4KJ blog. It is good of you to leave one.

Keep up the great blogging, Liv.

Jess πŸ˜† πŸ™‚ :mrgreen:

• Hi Jess,

Thanks so much for also replying to me. It was a shame though your comment didn’t appear up where I left the comment. (Oh well.)

It was so thoughtful of you to reply to me when you could have done something different.

It is so good to see more comments getting left on our blog.

I loved learning about fractions and am enjoying learning about Probibility.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

5. Hi 4KJ,

I learnt a lot about fractions. It was also really fun.
    I learnt how to use fractions in problem solving and I also learnt about the numerator and denominator more than I used to.

My fraction knowledge improved a lot. I definetly know more than I did before.

When I play or watch footy I see how much they are winning or losing by.

From πŸ˜› Darcy 😎

• Dear Darcy,

Yes fraction help me as well and I also like to work out the footy scores to see who was winning and who is losing.

From Andrew :mrgreen: πŸ˜›

• Hi Andrew,

It is good to hear that you follow the footy as well. I am sure everyone in our grade does too.

I think that working our how many goals they have kicked is a really fun thing to do.

It would be good if you could keep leaving comments on this blog post and maybe even replies.

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Dear Darcy,

Thank you for leaving a comment.
      I learnt all about fraction because I never new how to use factions in every day life or just any were. Yes you all ways come to my footy games when yo are not playing one of your games.

Plus you are so excellent at all of the fraction tasks that we do in our maths lessons and at all of the other tarks that we do in our class.

How are you so good at maths? If Miss Jordan gave you any thing involving maths you would just do it.

Riley

• Hi Riley,

Thanks for replying to Darcy. I am sure he will look at it to see if you have left it and reply to it.

I hope to see these great comments from you again soon because they are really good.

I loved learning about fractions and it sounds like you did to.

It is good to her Darcy comes to watch you play your footy games when he doesn’t play.

I bet you are a really good footy player because you are always playing it and you rock!

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

6. Hi 4KJ,

I enjoyed Fractions just like I enjoy Mats. Fractions helped me with my decimals and percentages. Maths is important to me especially when I’m practising at home.

I use maths in everyday life like everyone else. Like what degrees it is and what difference it is between the maximum and minimum. No matter where you are you always use maths.

I use fractions on Tuesdays mostly when I am swimming. I count how many laps I do in Fractions. My most laps is 32 and a half. My fastest lap is 34.56 seconds.

What Fractions do you use in everyday life?
    When do you use Maths in everyday life?

From Yunus πŸ˜†

• Hi Yunus

I use Fractions when I’m feeding my dog Bella I get the mins and cut it into eights.

Well I use Maths for a lot of things like when I made truffles last night.I had to check if I had the incidences I need to make the truffles.

You blogging buddy
      Jack πŸ˜†

• Hi Jack,

Thanks so much for the comment you left on our blog. It was so nice of you to do it so well done.

I think that feeding your dog can be fun so I am sure that you enjoyed it.

I like to make food with my mum and that is one of my favorites to make.

I hope you have enjoyed eating them with your mum too.

Keep up the great comments and we will have a lot of them on our blog.

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

7. Hi 4KJ,

Great Post!
    I Learnt about the numerator and denominator I keep forgetting witch one is witch but now I don’t forget because everyone in class says it all the time.

I also dident know how to do the Decimals thing with a frictions.

Your Classmate
    Connor.L πŸ˜†

• Hi Connor,

Nice comment you left there. It was so nice of you to leave it for 4KJ to have a little look at.

I hope to see more of them from you very soon because it is just so good to see people blogging.

I didn’t know how to do that with fractions either but now that we have learnt about them I understand.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

8. Dear Liv,

It looks like you have learnt lots about fractions.
    What have you learnt?
    A. I have learnt about 1/2 1/3 1/4 and sort of 1/5.

From Heather

• Hi Heather,

Looks like you are getting to know what fractions were. I know a lot about them and they are so fun to work with.

I have learnt how to use………. 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 and 3/4. They are great fun to work with.

I tried some of the maths games that were on the blog and they are really fun to play around with.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎