Ocean Grove Nature Reserve Excursion

Today all of the grade four students visited the Ocean Grove Nature Reserve as part of our Plants in Action unit of work.

Ocean Grove is a ten minute bus ride from Leopold Primary School. When we arrived at the reserve we explored the information centre and the students enjoyed taking photos of the various displays and nature artefacts.

Below is some information and a map of the Ocean Grove Nature Reserve.

(Tip: view in full screen by clicking the button in the bottom right hand corner)

*****

Our itinerary for the morning was:

9.20am – Ranger Stuart talked to the students about the flora and fauna that can be found in the reserve

9.50am – Tammy and Casey from the Wathaurong Corporation presented information about aboriginal plants

10.20am – Snack

10.40am – Discovery Trail walk in small groups

12.00pm – Depart the Ocean Grove Nature Reserve for school

The Discovery Trail is a 3km circuit and along the way you learn about the wildlife that lives in the reserve. There are many wallabies in the reserve (so be careful to shut the gate!), some koalas, a variety of birds, frogs, insects many different plants and much more. It was very interesting to learn about the reserve, which is one of the largest remaining patches of bushland on the Bellarine Peninsula.

Here are some photos of our visit to the Ocean Grove Nature Reserve

*****

Despite the dreary weather we all enjoyed our time in Ocean Grove and had fun exploring the fascinating nature reserve. We are lucky to have such a beautiful parkland so close to us!

What did you learn at the Ocean Grove Nature Reserve?

What did you enjoy on the Discovery Trail?

Do you have a favourite bush walking track?

9 thoughts on “Ocean Grove Nature Reserve Excursion

1. Hi 4KJ and Muss Jordan,

What a great blog post. It was such a great one to put up and I can’t wait to finish mine off tomorrow. I know that it will be a lot of fun.

As I always say to you when you write a blog post it is a really good topic to do it on so well done Miss Jordan.

I must say answering the questions is always fun when you write them in a blog post. In fact I am going to do that right now.

HERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

I learnt that you can’t have too many trees in the one area and I also learnt that there are many many many many types of plants.

I enjoyed walking with my team mates in my group and discovering new things along the way.

No not really but I must say that there is a lot of good ones.

I hope to finish my blog post tomorrow because if I don’t then I must have a problem because I have already completed my PowerPoint.

Thanks for the information you gave me and the rest of the world. I hope to see many more posts from you Miss Jordan.

Got 2 Gallop,
    Liv 😆 😉 😎

2. 4KJ I am so astonished at the number of visitors you have had to your blog, but I can see that doing things like the family challenge during August would definitely be competitive and enjoyable. As well as that, you have a very well written blog and I love that you end all posts with a series of questions.
    Your latest about Ocean Grove Nature Reserve looks interesting and while I cannot answer any of these questions since I have not been there, it makes me think about our class camp which we will be going on in November.
    Our Year 8 class of 27 students, with 5 adults from Christchurch will be travelling by train to Picton, staying a night in a marae http://history-nz.org/maori5.html (link to info), then travelling around the Marlborough Sounds on a launch, island hopping for 3 days. It will be wonderful fun and I know all of the students will learn so much.
    Do all classes at your school do some sort of camp experience?What do the junior classes do?

• Dear Ms Meehan,

Thanks so much for the comment you left us. I have been waiting all weekend for another comment for me too reply to and there it is.

I must say I was so glad to see that you had left us a brilliant comment on the blog.

I must say we like to have questions at the end of every post and people can answer them which is a lot of fun.

Speaking of questions I might just answer yours right now while I am here doing this.

HERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

Do all classes at your school do some sort of camp experience?
      Well yes the grade fours go and we have just been not that long ago. It was so much fun and I will tell you about it after the next question.

What do the junior classes do?
      They go swimming once a year and they also go to the zoo. hey just went on Friday.

Well we went to camp not long ago and I had the best time ever. It was my first camp with friends and with so many people.

I know that everyone else had a great time too. If you would like to read more about it and check out some photos then go to:

http://4kmand4kj.global2.vic.edu.au/2013/08/01/our-maldon-camp/

I hope that you have some time to leave a comment for us because I know that you will like it.

Thanks again for the information you gave to us by the way and make sure that those comments you post keep going up!

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv 😆 😉 😎

• @ Mrs Meehan,

Thank you for the great comment! 👿
      This blog has been running for more than a year now!

Here are the answers to your questions:
      Q 1: Do all classes at your school do some sort of camp experience?

A 1: Well sort of all the people in the school do go to camp but they have to wait untill grade four to go to Maldon for three days, then in grade six you go to Canberra for one week!

Q 2: What do the junior classes do?

A 2: The junior classes go to excursions like the Melbourne Zoo and my brother Ben just went a few days ago. Another one of the junior excursions is to the Barwon Water!

Kind Regards,
      Lee 😈

• Hi Lee,

Thanks for also replying to Mrs Meehan. It was very nice of you too.

I love to reply to comments on the blog. I must say if you keep it up then I don’t know we will have a lot of visitors on our blog.

I think that the grade 2’s will have had a great time at the zoo.

When I went there it was so much fun that I could do it again.

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv 😆 😉 😎

3. Hi 4KJ and everyone else,

What a great blog post! I just want to say that our teacher Miss Jordan, puts A LOT ( ! ) of effort into these posts seen as though Mrs Morris had to leave because she had a baby, Novalie!

I really did enjoy the excursion. There were so many plants that were new to me and probably everyone else. Even though the weather was a bit down hill, as in windy, wet and the mozzies started to bite, we all liked it!

I have over 100 photos of the place on my iPod and that is a fair bit! That is how much I loved it!

GOT 2 GALLOP,
    Paris :mrgreen::mrgreen:

• Hi Paris,

Thanks so much for leaving a quality comment on this blog post. It was so nice of you to.

Yes Miss Jordan does put up a lot of blog posts on the blog and they are so good and easy to read [of course.]

I must say you leave really good comments on the blog and I am always so happy to see you leave them on here.

I can’t wait to see much much more of them from you because it is so good and I love them.

Keep up the great blogging!

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv 😆 😉 😎

4. Dear 4KJ,
    I really enjoyed the Ocean Grove Nature Reserve and
    my favourite part was when we went around the banksia trail or discovery trail.

NOW HERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS

what did you learn at the Ocean Grove Nature Reserve?

What I learned at the nature reserve is that there was to many tree in the area.

What did you enjoy on the discovery trail?

I enjoyed the square river about a quarter of the way through the hole way.

What is your favourite walking trail?

I don’t have a favourite walking trail.
    sincerely,
    Mitchell,s