What Do You Like To Read?

The two hour literacy block is a popular part of our day for many 4KJ students.

Part of our literacy block involves students doing some independent reading. This is when students spend time practising reading strategies with a good fit text.

When selecting a good fit text, students need to:

• Know most of the words in the text
  • Be interested in the storyline, theme or topic of the text
  • Understand what is happening in the text.

While independent reading is a quiet and individual task, afterwards we enjoy discussing the books or texts we are reading.

*****

Many students have favourite authors or a series of books they love to read.

Miss Jordan has always loved reading and had a huge collection of books as a child. When she was young she loved to read books written by Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl. Graham Base picture story books were another favourite.

Miss Jordan has kept a lot of her childhood books and novels, and now they are in the classroom for the 4KJ students to read. It is great to see different generations of children enjoying similar books! Of course there are also many wonderful new authors and books we enjoy too.

Enid Blyton’s classic books are still popular today.

There are many Roald Dahl books in our school libary.

The illustrations in Graham Base’s books are amazing!

*****

Do you have a favourite book or a favourite author?

What is a “good fit text” for you?

What book series do you enjoy and why?

Do you like reading fiction or non fiction texts?

35 thoughts on “What Do You Like To Read?

1. Hi
    I am Jessica’s family friend. i have known Jessica since I was less than a month old. I go to school at The Geelong College. I love your blog. It is awesome! My hobbies are surfing. I love swimming. I Love animals and hanging out with Jess.

• Hi Matilda,

Thanks so much for leaving a comment on our blog. I know that Jess is great fun to be friends with so you are lucky you have known her for that long.

I am sure Jess is happy to see the comment you left for her and she is loving the points she is getting i am sure of it.

Reading is such a great thing to do and I love to do it in our grade but sometimes I don’t feel like it.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Dear Matilda,

Thank you for the great comment on my class blog. It was great for you to leave a comment on here.
      I really appreciate it.

I enjoying reading a lot in class and I think we all do it at home. In grade we have to read four times or more to get free time but because we all love reading we get free a lot.

Thank you also for saying all those nice things about me. It was very nice of you to.

I am so glad you are my friend. I can’t believe that I have known you for so long. You must be my older friend that I have ever had.

In my class we do a thing called, August Is Family Blogging Month. It is where you have to get one member of your family or your family friends to leave a comment on this blog. I think that the family blogging month is a great idea and we are getting a lot of family members and family friends to leave comments. We have had a lot already and it is great to see more coming in.

Thanks again for the great comment.

• Hi Jess,

Thanks for also replying to Matilda. I am sure she was happy about it.

I thought that it was your mum who left the comment until I read it and thought has to be Jess.

Maybe you should have looked at that quickly but that doesn’t really matter.

Yes you must be one of her olderest friends and I think I know why she said those nice things about you……….

Because you are so nice and are such a great friend to have so thanks.

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Dear Liv,

Thank you so much for replying to me. It was very nice of you.

Thank you also for saying all those nice things about me.

You are doing very well with your blogging I think. You always are leaving great comments on the 4KJ blog and lots more.

I can tell that you like to leave comments and write blog posts. You are very good at it so it is good to see you doing it all the time.

Thanks again for the great reply.

Jess πŸ™‚ :mrgreen:

• Dear Jess,

Thanks so much for your reply.

It was so nice of you and I hope you give me more.

I love to leave comments on the blog although they hardly ever get a reply.

I will always keep leaving them.

I so hope that you will keep up your comments and posts too.

Thanks again for the reply back to me.

Got 2 Gallop,
            liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

2. Hi Andrew,

How are you going?
    Your blog looks great.

When l was younger I really enjoyed reading Roald Dahl books. They really kept me interested in reading.

Andrew’s Cousin

• Hi Matt,

Thanks so much for your wonderful comment on our class blog. It was very nice of you so great job.

I am sure Andrew is happy with the points he is going to get for your comment and he will like it I am sure of it.

The comment you put onto our blog made me think what a nice uncle to be leaving it so again great job.

I just left a reply to you and then accidentally clicked the wrong button so that made me start again so I am afraid there may not be many things on this comment.

But right now got to fly and gallop and trot and ride on Barney.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

3. Hello everyone,

I LOVE READING!! Eb will tell you I’ve always got my head stuck in a book. I actually prefer to read than watch tv sometimes.

When I was in primary school I can remember reading Enid Blyton. Eb is currently enjoying reading some Enid Blyton books. She is reading “The Enchanted Wood” at the moment.

Most of my books I read come from the Geelong Reginal Library. If I find a book and author I like I tend to read all the books in that series.

Happy reading Grade 4.

• Hi Kim,

I like the way you read because that is so awesome. I don’t think anyone else in our grade would find a book or author they liked and then read the series, but how cool ❓

I like to read Horror books under the series of Goosebumps because they are so interesting to read and give me a little fright.

I love to read the adventures books by Enid Blyton and if I ever find another one of her books I am going to read it I am sure of it.

I meant to say at the start of my comment great job on it and thanks for leaving one.

I know Eb’s will be so happy she is going to get a point for your comment so well done.

Did she ask you to leave the comment or did you just do it ❓

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

4. Hi Georgia,

Thanks so much for that wonderful comment you left us on our blog and because you have left it for us I am going to leave a comment on your blog when I get a chance.

I love the way you answered all of our questions because that is just fantastic or as my friends like to say PONYTASTIC.

I am Olivia. Your sister Olivia knows my brother Aiden and me too so I also know you. You may know who I am but if you don’t doesn’t matter.

I must say the Harry Potter books are not for me but I am glad you enjoy reading them a lot.

How many books have you read ❓
    Do you know how many there are left to go ❓

Got 2 Gallop,
    Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Hi Olivia!

No problem. I haven’t been getting that many comments on my blog.

How many books I have read in total or how many Harry Potter books I have read?

I have read two Harry Potter books ( The Philosophers Stone and the Chamber of Secrets)I am up to the Prisoner of Azkaban. I am about halfway through this one.

There is seven Harry Potter books so four and a half to go.

Georgia

5. Hi 4KJ and Miss Jordan,

I like the post Miss Jordan so keep it up. I think that you are always picking a good topic to write about so keep it up please.

When you write a blog post it always has that something to it that makes me think of it in real life and not just like a book because I am reading it.

I hope you guys all enjoy your reading because that is very important to know so keep it up. I can’t wait for independent reading today.

Now as I always do I should begin with answering the questions. I do it because you have asked them so if you have done that then I would like to answer them for you.

HERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

No I don’t have a favorite book because there are so many good ones but my favorite author is R.L Stine as I have said many times.

What is a β€œgood fit text” for you?
    A good fit text for me would have to be the books I read from the Library and they are Goosebumps.

What book series do you enjoy and why?
    I enjoy the book series named Goosebumps by R.L Stine because they are so scary for me.

I love to read Fiction texts but like to try and read non fiction texts.

Well I guess that that is the end of the questions you have asked so now I can move on and say who it is from.

I so hope someone can reply to this for me because that would be great and I would be impressed all right.

Got 2 Gallop,
    liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

6. Hi 4KJ,

I remember my favorite book when I was in primary school was Fantastic Mr Fox with the characters of Bogus, Bunce and Beans who were trying to stop Mr Fox from pinching their food and drinks. About 2 years ago I also enjoyed taking Olivia and her brother Aiden to see Fantastic Mr Fox at the movies, even though they were being a little bit noisy and talking and laughing with their friend during the movie.

Liv’s Dad

• Dear Matt,

Thank you for the great comment on our class blog. It is great to hear from family members.
      I have enjoyed this family blogging month because we are seeing a lot of family members comment on the blog how may have never left a comment before.

I have read Fantastic Mr Fox too. I thought it was a great book. It was good that they made a movie of it. If you have read the book of it and than seen the movie you can see the difference.

Thanks again for the great comment on our class blog.

From Jess πŸ™‚ :mrgreen:

• Hi Matt,

Thanks for the great comment!

I like Fantastic Mr Fox as well. MY teacher last year read it to us students and we all loved it.

My favourite book series is goosebumps by R.L Stine. I think Liv like those books as well. I am reading The beast from the east at the moment.

Thanks for the comment,

Harry πŸ˜† 😎 πŸ˜†

• Hi Harry,

Thanks so much for your comment you left on the blog I reading groups.

It was very good to reply to my dad so thank you very much. He will see it soon I know it.

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Hi Matt,

Thanks for the fabulous comment on the blog! I am, Meg, one of Olivia’s friends. I am in her grade, 4KJ

I have read Fantastic Mr. Fox. It is a wonderful book and I have also watched the movie with my best friend, Ebony. I think it was a great movie.

It must of been a little bit distracting that, Liv was laughing and talking during the movie. I hope you still enjoyed it though!

Well I have to go.

Keep up the great commenting,
      Meg (4KJ)

7. Hi 4KJ and Jessica
    Reading, what a great thing to do. I just love books and magazines. I don’t read as many novels as I used to when I was a child. When I was growing up my favourite author was Enid Blyton. I just loved the The Magic Faraway Tree and all the magical people that lived in it. I desparately wanted to visit the Faraway Tree and find my way to the top to a magical land. I can remember my Mum calling me for lunch or dinner, but she had to call me several times before I heard her as I was so absorbed in my book!!! Isn’t it wonderful how a book so transport you to another world or place in your imagination. I just love that about books.
    Keep up all the reading – what a pleasure.
    Happy blogging.
    Cheers
    Jessica’s Mum

• Hi Carolyn,

Tanks so much for your comment on our blog. It was very nice of you so thank you so much.

I am really glad you told us some things about what you did when you were a child with your books.

Sometimes that happens to me but not very often because I like to read horror books so they make me a little scared.

That then makes me not get into the book as much as I would with a normal book but oh well.

It was so nice to see yet another comment from you and I am glad you left it for us to read.

Enid Blyton is a great book writer and I wish she was still here to write more for us.

But there are many more books in the world that we will enjoy I am sure of it.

Thanks again for the information you left us and I look forward to seeing more comments from you.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

8. Hi 4KJ and everyone,

I am glad we now have a topic like this because I l♥ve reading! I love everything that revolves around literacy (and horses πŸ˜‰ ).

My favourite book to read… Well I have a favourite series called ‘Horse Mad’. I probably like it because I am horse mad! It is about a girl and her horse having big opportunities and adventures.

The author of the books is Kathy Helidoniotis. – It is hard to pronounce. Here is her website if you want to have a look: http://www.kathyhelidoniotis.com/

Got 2 Gallop,
    Paris ♥

9. Hi 4kj
    My favourite book is Billie B Brown.
    I have a whole collection of Billie B Brown.
    Do you do buddy reading in your literacy time?
    Goodbye for now.
    From Jasmine at Holy Family School.

• Hi Jasmine,

Thanks so much for the great comment you left us on our blog. I am sure my teacher Miss Jordan enjoyed approving it.

I know that I enjoyed reading it because it was such a great comment and I am glad we got one from you.

No we don’t do buddy reading in our class room but it sounds interesting and I would liker to try it out.

Keep up the great information on blogs for us and other people around the world.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

10. Hi Andrew,

I loved reading when l was at school and still do.
    I enjoy reading non-fiction books. But when l was little adventure stories.

Andrew’s Aunt

• Hi Sharon,

Thanks so much for the comment you left us on our blog it was very nice of you to leave it.

It was interesting to hear what books you like and liked to read and I will share with you what I like to read now.

My favorite authors are R.L Stine who writes horror books and Karen Wood who writes horse books.

Thanks again for the information you left us on our blog and please keep up the great comments.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

11. Dear 4KJ,

Great post!

I think that we all like to read. It is a great thing to do and we do it all the time in 4KJ.
    As I said before it is great to do and very fun. I am sure we all have a favourite book.

Jess

12. Hi 4KJ,

My favorite author is R.L Stine. I like his books because they are so scary to read but they are very interesting at the same time.

When I was younger my favorite author was Enid Blyton. She is a great book writer because I liked the way her books were fiction and not non fiction.

We both love to read books because they can take you into another world with your imagination so you mind just goes into the book and out of our world.

It would be good to see more people reading than what they do now. I hope to read a lot more books later on in the year.

Nan really wants to go and play some more games now so we are going to go and do that now.

Best wishes,
    Liv and friend πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

13. Hi 4KJ,

I also loved reading when I was a child. Like Miss Jordan, I loved reading Enid Blyton books too, along with Judy Blume, John Marsden and many more.

I still love reading now and I have many books at home. My favourite books to read are fantasy series. I loved reading Harry Potter and other similar books.

I encourage my children to read as I get so much enjoyment out of reading and hope that they will also.

From Connor’s mum

• Hi Jenelle,

Thanks so much for the comment you left us on our blog. It was so nice of you to do it for us.

Reading is such a great thing to do but I wish we could also do other thing just like we do.

My favorite part of reading is when I get to read to my mum and dad or little brother because it makes me get into the book a lot more.

I must say it would be good if you got your wish for your boys to follow after you and read a lot.

I am sure the books they read would keep them interested so they would want to do it a bit more than what they do.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

14. Dear 4KJ Leopold primary school,
    my name is Alice and I am from Apollo Parkways primary school. I am in grade 5M, Miss Mays class, this is our class’s website. missmay.global2.vic.edu.au. I also have my own blog. alice5mapollo.global2.vic.edu.au. you blog looks great, I hope I can comment some more!

Also, my favourite author is probably Geronimo stilton. My favourite book series is the 39 clues. My favourite type of book is usually fiction, but sometimes i like to read a non fiction book.
    From Alice

15. Pingback: Classrrom Blogs I visited | slm508gad

16. Hi 4KJ,
    My favourite book is Harry Potter and the half blood Prince. My favourite author is J.K Rowling. My favourite series is Harry Potter because I like magic and they are interesting books to me.I also like the famous five because the five always have an adventure and I wish I could have the adventures and not just read about them. I think I’m like George because she loves dogs and love dogs. She loves her dog Timmy and I love my dog Jilly. She wants to be a boy and I want to be a boy. She gets bad tempered easily and I get bad tempered easily too. A good fit text for me is Harry Potter and the famous five. I like to read fiction books and I don’t really like reading non fiction books, but I read them sometimes. My favourite characters in Harry Potter is Draco Malfoy, Lord Voldermort and Hedwig. My favourite characters in the famous five is George and Timmy.
    From Zoe (In 4JL)