Idioms

Last week our reading strategy focussed on learning about idioms.

Idioms are phrases that have a different meaning to the actual words in the phrase. For example, if something is described as “a piece of cake”, it is an idiom. It means that something is really easy, it doesn’t actually have anything at all to do with cake.

In class we discussed the literal and the inferred meaning of lots of idioms.

• The literal meaning is when you imagine the words in the idiom as being the real meaning.
  • The inferred meaning is what the phrase actually means when used in conversation.

Example: To “spill the beans”.

You might imagine someone tipping over a bowl of beans BUT this idiom really means that you have revealed some secret information.

*****

On Wednesday, each student chose an idiom they liked. They had to draw the literal and the inferred meaning for their idiom. Check out our work and see if you can identify any of the idioms!

Learning about idioms is important because authors often use idioms in books, so we need to understand them in order to understand what we read. Throughout the week we also realised that we use idioms all the time in our conversations!

*****

Did you guess any of our idioms?

Do you have a favourite idiom?

What idioms do you often hear people say?

41 thoughts on “Idioms

1. Hi 4KJ and Miss Jordan,

What a great idea for a post. I like it a and writing one in class was also really fun to do. I had lots of good ideas for things.

Jess also was a great help and we gave each other some really good ideas to use in the blog posts. I knew there would be one up about Idioms soon so I kept an eye out.

I must say it is now time for me to answer the questions you have asked. I think that it is my favourite thing to do in a comment so I am looking forward to it alright.

ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

Did you guess any of our idioms?
    I knew them all but won’t say them because it would be nice to get family members involved in that and not me or other students but you still can if you wanted to.

Do you have a favourite idiom?
    Yes and that was Ava’s because she put so much detail into the presentation in her poster and that is great to see. My favorite saying would have to be don’t count your chickens before they hatch.

Don’t play with fire, once every blue moon and this is a piece of cake.

They were some really good questions you asked there Miss Jordan and I never thought of them for my blog post and I wish I had of.

Thanks for writing this blog post Miss Jordan and I hope to see more of the from you. I must say I will be leaving more comment on here for sure.

Got 2 Gallop,
    Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Hi Liv,

Thanks for your long and detailed comment.

I have got to say, you must be a really really fast typer now because the effort and you put into these comments are a lot and when you write a lot you get faster and faster at typing.

It sounds like you love idioms because how you kept an eye out for this post and you were the first one to see it.

Thanks for answering the questions. I’m glad you like mine and thank you. Yours is really good! The drawing and colouring stand out to me the most! My favourites would have to be Ebony’s, Chloe’s and Meg’s. I think they did really good drawings and I’m glad to see Meg doing a horse related idiom!

I like that idiom too “don’t count your chickens before they hatch”.

My favourite would have to be “hold your horse”.

The idioms I often hear are once in a blue moon, hold your horses, that cost an arm and a leg and that’s a piece of a cake.

Got to gallop on Beau,
      Ava

• I Ava,

You also must be getting fast at typing because your comments are also long and detailed.

Yes the idioms you said were pretty cool and I am glad to hear you hearing some of them around.

Idioms are a really fun thing to learn about so I am glad we are doing them in class with each other.

When you said I was a fast typer I look at the screen so I can see what I have done wrong so I am really fast now.

Ebony’s, Chloe’s and Meg’s were really good and you could see the effort they put into their work.

I loved the way people colored in their work and they all looked great.

I must say you are also a really good and fast typer because I have seen you type and it is amazing.

Last night when I had a drink my mum said an idiom by mistake and I noticed it.

the idiom was ‘I could drink that until the cows come home.’ It doesn’t mean that it means the drink is really good and she enjoys it.

That idiom can also mean a lot of other things that are really good to for example maybe you might say I could eat that until the cows come home.

Idioms just come out of nowhere and we keep saying them not on purpose.

I think you would call that a coincidence. I love it when that happens.

Keep up the great comments on our blog and keep up your typing skills.

I meant to say before I am getting fast at typing because I always do blogging and I do typing practice a lot.

Maybe you should too if you want to become a really fast typer too.

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Hi Liv,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I am quite fast at typing and when I type I look at the screen too.

I love Ebony’s, Megs and Chloes. It’s good that Meg did a poster horse related!

Got to gallop on Beau,
          ♥ Ava ♥

• Hi Liv,
      Great comment!

I do have a favourite Idiom!
      It is the same one as Liv! Nice choice Liv!

The one I hear the most is Piece of cake!

Yes I guessed lots but like what you said Liv it would be nice if the family members guessed.

I really did like the amazing posters on the blog! I really think that all of them are better than mine!
      I would really love to learn more about the Similes and Metaphors.
      Would you Liv?

Bye classmates and Liv,
      Princess

• Hi Princess,

Thanks for replying to me so soon. I am sure you had fun doing it.

Yes the family members are good at leaving comments and I am so glad we do August is family blogging month with them.

Yes I would also like to learn a lot more about Similies and metaphors.

Keep leaving these comments and you can also help us reach a really high milestone for our blog.

Thanks so much for your information and see you at school for P.E.

Got 2 Gallop,
        Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Dear Liv and Miss Jordan,
      Sorry! I left my first comment on the wrong comment it is supposed to be on the first comment that Liv left!

Sorry Miss Jordan

• Hi Princess,

That is OK. Everyone makes a mistake at sometime and for you it was now.

I am so glad we are learning about Idioms because they are fun to do.

Like Jess said to me I think we are learning them the fun way.

Got 2 Gallop,
        liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

2. Sounds like you’re learning lots of interesting phrases. Love the pictures but only guessed a few of them. I thought it would be a piece of cake!

• Hi Ky,

Thanks for the comment!

Learning about idioms is a lot of fun! The pictures are great especially because how much effort people put into them.

Got to gallop on Beau,
      Ava

• Hi Ky,

Thank you for leaving a comment on the class blog!

It is great you looked at our idioms.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Paris ♥

P.S: I and my friends use ‘Got 2 Gallop’ because we are HORSE & PONY CRAZY!

3. Dear 4KJ
    I enjoyed reading through your idioms and I thought you illustrated them clearly.
    An idiom I remember from long ago is ‘Pull your socks up’. The literal meaning is to straighten your socks, but do you know what the inferred meaning is?
    I’ll check back and see if anyone knows!

regards
    Mrs McKenzie from B4, New Zealand

• Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for your comment. I am sure Miss Jordan was very happy to see one from you.

If you keep leaving comments for us on our blog then we will reach a really big milestone for our blog and that would be awesome.

I think the answer to your idiom was….. come on stop being silly and get on with it.

I know I may be wrong but at least I still had a try. there were also other things I thought other people might want to say some other things too.

Thanks again for the comment!

Got 2 Gallop,
      liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Hi Mrs McKenzie and B4,

It is wonderful to see another great comment on the 4KJ blog. We all appreciate it!

When I was reading your comment I saw that you said: I enjoyed reading through your idioms and I thought you illustrated them clearly. – I thought so to, seen as though I was sick I didn’t get to do that activity.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Paris ♥

4. Hi 4KJ and friends,

I love the idiom blog post! Sadly I didn’t get to do most of the activities because I was sick. But I am better now and I hope I can learn as many idioms as possible!

I looked through some of the photo’s and they are great! Some I guessed but some were hard and I couldn’t get them at all.

My favourite idiom is ‘HOLD YOUR HORSES’ and I here that one a lot in my family. Just making sure but is ‘HOLD YOUR HORSES’ an idiom?

Got 2 Gallop,
    Paris ♥

• Hi Paris,

What a good comment you left us on the blog. I hate being sick and I am sure you did’t like it either.

I must say it was a bit sad seeing two empty seats right in from of me but now they are full.

Just in case you were wondering but Jake spent a lot of time off school as well. Idioms are so fun to learn about.

I am glad you said that you are going to try and learn as many as possible very soon and that is very good.

Yes HOLD YOUR HORSES IS AN IDIOM. I am sure you would know what it means but if you don’t then just ask cause I know.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

5. Hey 4KJ,

Fantastic post!

I work out Darcy’s, Anthony’s and a lot more.

My favourite idioms are ounce in a blue moon, im over the moon, Jessica’s and almost all the the others.

I hear people say a piece of cake very often.

Harry πŸ˜† πŸ‘Ώ 😎

• Hey Harry,

Nice comment ❗

I love idioms now that I know what they are ❗

I hear my sister say her homework is a piece of cake.

I hear a lot of people say time fly’s.

My favourite idioms are once in a blue moon ,i’m over the moon and time fly’s.

Your buddy,
      Anthony πŸ˜†

6. Hi 4KJ,

I really liked focussing on Idioms. It went so quick that it felt like one day. It was a great idea to share all the Idiom posters with the class and the blogging community.

I feel like I know alot of Idioms since we first learnt about them. On the weekend I was talking about them and the time we spent talking about Idioms had gone so quick time flies.

Keep blogging,
    Mitchell

• Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your really good comment on this blog post. The idiom you used I your comment suited it.

When I told my family members about idioms they were like what are idioms so I told them and they were impressed.

Working with them in school is really fun and I am so glad we are learning about them with each other.

I love the way there are so many of them to choose from if you had to pick one just like we did for our posters.

Yes I also agree….. that the posters we made were really fun to do and I think they look great.

Keep up the great comments and we will have a lot of visitors all thanks to you and all of our other family members getting in there.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

7. Hi 4KJ,

Great post Miss Jordan! I loved the task we did about idioms. I think everyone’s idiom poster is brilliant. I think everyone did a great job at the pictures, and some of them for me are hard to guess.

Here are some answers to people’s idioms.
    Anneliese: It’s bucketing down.
    Heather: Put a sock in it.
    Andrew: Arm and a leg

Here are the answers to the questions:

Q. Do you have a favourite idiom?
    A. I do have a favourite idiom, my favourite would have to be “time flies”.

Q. What idioms have you heard people say?
    A. I have heard my dad say “time flies” and “don’t spill the beans”. He said to me that time flies, when we were in town shopping, and he said don’t spill the beans to me when we were planning something special for my sister.

Great post again.

Happy Blogging,
    Meg

• Hi Meg,

Great comment you left on the blog. Thanks for it by the way. I hope you can leave much much more.

The answers to your questions were really good and I am glad you left a comment with the answers to them.

I must say you do leave some really good ones on our blog and I am very happy about it.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

8. Hey 4KJ and families members,

Now I know what idioms are I hear them all the time from everyone. I think Chantelle told me once but I wasn’t listing.

see ya soon,
    Anthony πŸ˜†

• Hi Anthony,

Now I know to be careful when I explain things to you because you may not be listening just like you said.

Idioms are a great thing to learn about so I am so glad we are learning about them now in our classroom.

I must say everyone once in a while you leave really good comments just like a lot of other people in our grade do.

Keep up the great comments and we will reach an amazing milestone.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

9. Hi everyone,
    Great post πŸ˜›

Idioms are really fun. I tried working the idioms out. Here is what I got.
    Anthony-Time flies
    Andrew-A arm and a leg
    Anneleise- It is bucketing down
    Ava-Dark horse
    Chloe-Can’t judge a book by its cover
    Darcy (Me)-Blood is thicker than water
    Connor L-Light as a feather
    Ebony- Race against the clock or beat the clock
    Millie-Pigs fly

Got to go to assembly now,
    From πŸ˜› Darcy 😎

• Hi Darcy,

I loved the answers you gave to us all there. I am sure you got them all right and enjoyed doing them for us all.

I know making the posters was a lot of fun and I can’t wait until we do a lot more work on them soon.

The comments you leave on the blog are really good so keep up the great work and we will reach an amazing number.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Hi everyone,

I am just finishing my answers.
      Here they are.
      Eden- Bite your tongue
      Harry-Over the moon
      Heather- Put a sock in it
      Jack-Hit the hay
      Olivia- Don’t put all the eggs in the basket
      Lee-Piece of cake
      Meg hold your horses
      Jess-Once in a blue moon
      Riley- Something smells fishy
      Sophie- Hit the hay
      Yunus- Fork in the road
      Princess- Let the cat out of the bag
      Sorry if I got the names wrong or missed someone.
      From πŸ˜› Darcy 😎

10. Hello Liv,

Thanks for helping me Blog, as this is my first time. What a great way to share information and learn together.
    Have a wonderful week at school.

Got 2 Gallop.

• Hi Chonny,

I see you have used the same closing I normally do in a comment. Thanks for that by the way.

The Email I sent to you did take me a little while but no longer than 15 minuets. It was a lot of fun.

Yes I also agree that this is a great way for us to share information with other people.

I am so happy you got the chance to leave a comment for 4KJ and me and I am so happy so thanks.

I must say keep them up for me and the class because we will reach a really big milestone.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ ;cool:

11. Hello 4KJ,
    Great post about idioms Miss Jordan. I loved learning about idioms. My favourite thing we did about idioms was making the idioms posters.

I enjoyed adding a post on my blog about idioms. Have a look at my blog post:
    anneliese.global2.vic.edu.au

ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS

Q. Did you guess any of our idioms/
    A. I guessed 12, which was over the moon and 20, which was once in a blue moon.

Q. Do you have a favourite idiom?
    A. I do have a favourite idiom. It is a penny saved is a penny earned.

Q. What idioms do you often hear people say?
    A. I often hear people say these idioms. One in a million, got up on the wrong side of the bed and a leopard can’t change its spots.

Thank you for teaching me about idioms. I wish we could learn about them again. What I liked about idioms was figuring out the inferred meaning because sometimes they were tricky.

I have a question for you.
    What did you like when we learnt about idioms?

From Anneliese

12. Well Liv this is one interesting web / blog page!!

There has been some serious effort put in to the site by the 4KJ crew! I had never really heard of idioms.

This looks like it would be a barrel of fun, your site has everything but the kitchen sink, no one could say the lights are on but no one’s home in 4KJ. I could go on and on but you would probably tell me to put a sock in it!!

Great work – gotta fly!

Your favoritest Uncle

• Wow Liv, looks like your uncle now knows what an idiom is and he has given you some great examples, he could keep on writing them until the cows come home.

Keep up the good work 4KJ.

Dad

13. Hi Bob,

Thanks for your awesome comment on the blog. One idiom I now is don’t judge a book by its cover.

Got to go
    Jack πŸ˜† :mrgreen:

14. Hi Liv and 4KJ! This is my first ever blog post, how exciting! Thanks for giving me such great instructions on how to make a comment, I needed them. Liv I think you are the queen of blogging! Shiver me timbers, there sure are a lot of great idioms in this blog. Thanks for inviting me to be part of your blog, it’s fun! Have a great time at school and thank your mother for the rabbits!!

15. Hi Liv and 4 KJ,

Stone the crows – so many idioms! I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this sees the light of day on 4KJ’s blog. I think Livvy is pulling my leg when she says blogging is a piece of cake, but have decided to hang in there, keep my cool and go for it!

Thanks Liv and congratulations 4KJ on a fabulous classroom blog. You sure have taught this old dog new tricks!

Nan

16. Hi 4KJ,

Great post. I’ve really enjoyed reading the comments and learning some new idioms. Put a sock in it and pulling my leg are great. One idiom I like to use is I cold eat a low flying duck. Have fun trying to work that one out.

Cheerio
    Eb’s dad

• Dear Dad/Pete,

Thanks fro the comment on the blog!
      Nice work figuring out those idioms!

I have already figured out what your idiom was! Is it you are hungry? OR you could eat lots?

Also I found a mistake. You said cold NOT could. 😳

Also nice working out how to use the HTML!

Got to fly,
      Eb :mrgreen:

17. Hi 4KJ,

The Idioms were hard but we got a couple right. We think these are some of them.

Piece of cake
    Light as a feather
    Fork in the road
    Pigs can’t fly
    Time Flies
    Cost an arm and a leg
    Bucketing down
    Don’t judge a book by it’s cover
    Blood is thicker than water
    I bit my tongue
    Put a sock in it
    Hold your horses
    One in a million
    Let the cat out of the bag

We hope we got them all right or at least half of them.

From Yunus and his sister

18. Pingback: Classrrom Blogs I visited | slm508gad