Plants In Action Update

Two weeks ago the students in 4KJ formed inquiry groups for our new topic, Plants in Action. To begin our investigations, we planted seeds in a snaplock bag. You can read about it here.

There were no noticeable changes after the first couple of days of observation. However, when we returned from our Maldon camp last week, we saw that our seeds had started growing!

The photos below show the growth of our broad beans and long beans.

BEFORE 25th July, 2013

AFTER – 6th August, 2013

Ava, Ebony, Mitchell S and Lee

Jacob, Chloe, Jessica and Darcy

Mitchell C, Paris, Connor L and Princess

Heather, Anthony, Millie and Connor F

Olivia, Jake and Yunus

Anneliese, Eden, Jack and Harry

Meg, Andrew, Riley and Sophie

Students have been recording their seed observations in their online science journal. Here are Meg’s observations…

TUESDAY 6TH AUGUST 2013

My plants are making a big changes right now.

Here are the changes I have noticed since last week.

CHANGES:

1. From one of our broad beans there is a really big root which is about 6cm long.
  2. From the same broad bean, a big shoot is growingΒ  from the root on the side of the seed. It is about 3cm long.
  3. The long beans aren’t changing that much, but some of them are growing really long roots.
  4. One of the broad beans has been very smart and hidden under the cotton wool.

******

What changes have you observed in your seeds?

Have you ever grown seeds or plants at home? If so, what kind?

Do you know the parts of a plant? What do these parts do?

39 thoughts on “Plants In Action Update

1. Hi Andrew,
    Wow plants in action is so much fun to do, l remember when l was in primary school learning about how seeds grow.

It looks like everyone had fun at camp, great photo’s.
    See you soon

• Hi Lauren,

Thank you for leaving a comment on the blog.

You might of seen me before because I am Andrews best friend.

Happy blogging
      Riley

• Hi lauren,

I’m Jake, Andrew’s mate.

4KJ appreciates the comment you left on our blog. Thanks! The plants in Action is fun because you can see the difference when the plants start growing.

From Jake πŸ™‚

2. Hi 4KJ,

Great post!
    It was great fun learning about plants in inquiry I think the plants have made a big change since the 25th July, 2013 to the 6th August, 2013.
    I planted a lemon tree and on it are delicious lemons.

Your friend,
    Connor.L

• Hi Connor,

Thanks for the comment. It is good to see lots of parents getting on the blog and leaving us comments.

This looks like a really good post and I am glad Miss Jordan had the time to write another really good one for us.

I also have a lemon tree at my house and we have a lot of lemons at the moment. They are all very yellow and look delicious!

Thanks again for the comment on this new blog post and I am coming to school today so see you then.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

3. Dear 4KJ,
    Great post!
    Good work kids!
    I think it’s great to involve the family members.
    I have never done this before so I am excited to learn more about it.

Bye kids,
    Princess’s dad

• Hi Dad,
      Thanks for the comment!
      Did you leave a comment on the wrong post?! Well don’t worry about it now.

I will try and ask mum if she would like to leave a comment. But she doesn’t need to only if she has time.

Bye dad love you,
      Princess

• Hi Jun,

Great comment! In class I sit next to Princess. She is nice and helpful. πŸ˜†
      She is great at writing and reading. :mrgreen:

Do you have a garden?
      if so what is your favourite plant?

Kind Regards,
      Lee :devil:

4. Hi 4KJ,

I’m Meg’s dad. This post is great.

I have planted roses in our garden as well as, a variety of conifers.

I know the root of a plant, carries water up to the stem, and then to the flower to make it survive and grow. The sun also helps a plant grow.

Happy Blogging,
    (Meg’s dad)

• Hi David,
      Thanks for the comment!
      That is a good thing that you left a comment on the blog so Meg could get a D on her side of the chart.

That is also good that Meg’s big sister left a comment on the blog to!

The roses would look beautiful in your yard I can just imagine it!

Love to chat more but need to go bye,
      Princess

• Hi Kayne,

I am so glad you got the time to leave us a comment. Thanks for saying we have the coolest class blog in the school.

Yes I our new Inquiry Topics really good and I am enjoying learning more about it along the way.

I think Jake will be so happy you left us a comment and I think he is doing good with his commenting at the moment.

I was sick yesterday so I didn’t get to see what 4KJ did in the classroom about this topic. I can’t wait to find out!

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

5. Dear 4KJ,

I’m Scott Harry’s uncle. Great post!

I know the leaves on the plant makes water from the sun.

I also know the stem carries the water to othe parts of the plant.

I have planted herbs and other plants.

(Harry’s Uncle) πŸ˜† 😎 πŸ˜›

• Hi Scott,

Thanks so much for your comment you left us. I think you put a lot of effort into it.

I was sick yesterday so I didn’t get to see what 4KJ did in the classroom for this topic.

I can’t wait to find it all out today. I have a Lemon Tree at my house and it has some very good looking Lemon’s on it.

I must say Harry will be very happy because you left us a comment. I know that he probably already knows but still it is exciting.

Thanks again for your comment and happy blogging!

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

6. hi 4kj,
    on a flower there are a stem a leaf and petals. We learned it at science in grade 1mb. i have planted a carrot and tomato at my Grandparents house. Do you think my comment is cool?
    from Darcy’s brother

• Hi Xavier,

Yes I do think your comment was cool and I think Darcy will be happy to see that he can write something on the Chart of August is Family Blogging month.

It is cool to look after plants and make sure they have enough water and sunlight and all of that because you can make yourself responsible.

I think Carrot’s and Tomato’s are very yum and not only that but they are very healthy.

Thanks again for your really good comment on the class blog and I better go now because I want to leave my own comment to 4KJ!

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

• Hi Xavier,

Thanks for yet another really good comment on the blog.

I think you are doing a really good job so keep it up.

I also think the comments you leave are very sweet.

I l♥ve tomatos so what a shame you don’t.

Yes they are also really healthy for you and so are carrots and I think it is good to hear you like them.

Thanks again for the comment and remember keep it up.

Got 2 Gallop,
          Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

7. Hi 4KJ,

What a really good post and what wonderful comments we have got on it. I am so glad to see all of the parents getting involved in it all.

I hope you guys will all enjoy seeing what will come next and what I mean by that is… what will the next movement be in the plants ❓

Can anyone have a guess and tell me what they think is going to be the next movement, why and how is it going to happen ❓

HERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

Well Jake Yunus and I have discovered little sprouts growing and I think they look great!

Yes I have they were… an apple tree, a Lemon Tree and a nectarine tree. They look scrumptious.

ROOTS: they help the plant grow by collecting the water ad then sending it up through the stem.

STEM:
    The stem carries the water up through the plant as well and to the top of it.

LEAVES:
    The leaves look pretty and sit on the top. they can also help the plant grow.

FLOWER AND FRUIT:
    The flower also looks pretty and sits on the top of the plant as I am sure you all know already. The fruit is what you can eat and it looks great.

Thanks so Much Miss Jordan for writing yet another really good blog post and I will be sure to look at the blog again to find more posts to comment on.

I hope you guys will be getting much more family members to leave a comment for us and I am very certain you guys will all love the posts that miss Jordan puts up.

Happy blogging and keep commenting!

Got 2 Gallop,
    Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

8. Dear 4KJ,

I really hope you reach 100,000 on your blog. I also like this post. you guys have up here.

Plants are a really important thing to the world and I am so glad they have been made.

Seeds on plants are really cool as well. I have planted a seed at my house in the garden. It was a lemon tree.

I have also planted a plant that was at school and it was not in Enviro it was at snack with just myself.

I can’t remember what the plant was called but it was very cool and very green.

Thanks for sharing this post with me and i hope to see much much more of them soon.

From Liv’s brother πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Hi Aiden,

Thanks for the great comment! I am Lee and I am in the same class as Liv. I think you know my brother. Do you :?:\

See ya Aiden,
      Lee

• Dear Lee,

Thanks you for replying back to me. I really appreciate it. Now I think I may be able to answer your question down below OK ❓

If you are talking about Ben then yes I do know him but if you are talking about one of the others then I know them but they don’t know me.

From Liv’s brother πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your reply back to me. I hear you leave really good comments on the blog.

Yes the lemon Tree did survive and it is still in our backyard.

At the moment it has lots and lots of yummy yellow lemons on it that I can’t wait to eat.

From Liv’s brother πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 😎

• Hi Emily,

Thanks so much for your comment. I liked it a lot and it said some good things in it too!

I also think it was a great post and Miss Jordan did a really good job at writing it for us to read and comment on.

Yes Plants In Action is a good topic so that makes me glad we are doing it. i think all of the other grade 4’s are enjoying it too.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

• Hi Bev,

My name is Olivia and you might remember me when I was with my Pop and he was getting a coffee.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

9. Wow, what a great idea. We have a small veggie garden at home and Jake, his brother and sisters love planting new vegetables each season. Picking them and adding them to our meal is very exciting for our whole family. Great way to get all you kiddies to eat your greens πŸ˜‰
    Have a great day !!
    From Jake’s mum

• Hi Dee,

I Knew Jake was hurt but didn’t think this bad. How sad and I hope he will be alright for Monday and the weekend to come.

Thanks for the comment by the way and keep them up please because they are looking really good.

I love to plant food and vegies because they are healthy and yes they are a great way for kids to eat them.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv :lol; πŸ˜‰

10. Hi 4KJ,
    I am not a big gardener, so I planted mostly succulent plants as they dont require to be watered. Can anyone name a succulent plant?

Cheers,
    Darcy’s dad 😎

• Hi Adam,

No I am sorry but I can’t name one of those plants and that is because i have no idea what they are or what they look like.

They sound cool though because you don’t have to water them so I hope I will see one soon maybe.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

11. Hi 4KJ,
    Great to see the broad beans grew so well in the bag.
    We dont have a very big backyard,so we grow our fruit trees in pots! In answer to Adam’s question, what is the name of a succulent plant, there’s one called a “Panda Plant”. You might want to check that it doesn’t start growing pandas ha!! Keep up the great work 4KJ.
    Darcy’s friends

12. Hi 4KJ,
    We only have a small backyard, so we grow some fruit trees in pots.
    In answer to Adam’s question about the name of a succulent plant, there is one called a “Panda Plant”, but you want to watch out that it doesn’t start growing pandas ha!!
    Keep up the great work,
    Darcy’s friend

13. Hi I’m Oscar,

I’m in a school called Holy Eucharist!
    I’m in grade 3.
    I was wandering what you do and learn in your school.
    I just looked at this blog today.

Check out our Blog.
    Write MLC blog down and look at our blog of our art and learning!

By Oscar πŸ™‚

14. Hi 4KJ
    What an exciting Inquiry your class is doing. Madison has just done the same project at Bellaire. Its great to see the photos of the plants growing.
    Have Fun
    Darcy’s friend

15. Hi 4KJ (and Chloe)!

I remember this little chestnut from School!

Its funny how these little experiments stay with you forever.

We have a pretty dismal vege garden at home but we do plant lots of nice native plants around the place. good to see they still teach this at school.

Have a great day guys.

Chloe’s Dad

16. I loved looking at the photos of all the beans growing, it looks like great fun. It is the type of experiment that never grows ‘old’ and is much more fun than just reading in a book