Plants in Action

Today we launched our new inquiry topic, “Plants in Action”.

During this unit of work, students will learn about:

• Plants and plant growth
  • The changes that occur in a germinating seed
  • How pollination occurs
  • How fruit develops.

During the term, students will increase their vocabulary and make observations about plant growth and seed germination in their individual science journals.

To begin our topic, students formed inquiry teams in class today. Each team member has a special role within their group. These roles are:

• Manager – Collects and returns all materials the team needs.
  • Speaker – Reports back to the class during discussions.
  • Director – Makes sure that the team understands and completes each step.
  • Recorder – Records any notes and observations that will assist the team to complete their science journal.

Our focus today was bean seed germination.

Students planted broad beans and some long beans in snaplock bags. Over the coming weeks, students will observe the seeds and record any changes in their science journals.

Once the seeds were planted, students wrote a procedural text to explain the process in their science journals. You can read Millie‘s procedural text below with the photos.

HOW TO PLANT SEEDS IN A SNAPLOCK BAG

Equipment: snaplock bag, cotton wool, broad beans, long beans and water.

1. Grab a handful of cotton wool (enough so that your bag is half full) and put in in your bag. You may have to squish it down a bit.

2. Carefully wet the cotton wool. It cannot be drenched, soΒ do notΒ turn the tap on very hard. Turn it on so there is just a little trickle and the Β cotton wool is just damp.

3. Take 2 – 3 broad beans and 5 long beans (you may choose to do a bit more or a bit less depending on the size of your bag) and push them gently into the cotton wool.

4. Hang your bag up on a window, where it will get sunlight. You need to leave the top of your bag open, so the beans will have air.

5. The beans don’t grow instantly, you may have to wait for a couple of weeks. You may need to water your beans during this time.

*****

What do you know about plants?

What do you hope to learn this term about plants?

Do you or does anyone in your family like gardening?

33 thoughts on “Plants in Action

1. Wow! It sounds like everyone had so much fun planting their beans! I’m looking forward to seeing more updates when they start growing.

From Jenelle

• Dear Jenelle,

Thanks for the comment on the 4KJ blog. My name is Mitchell. We had alot of fun planting the seeds.

We had seven groups all with four children but one group had three because we have an odd number of children in our class.

In my family most of us like to garden and some know what most of the plants are called.

In our first lesson of “Plants In Action” we made a list of words that relate to plants. We made alot of interesting vocabulary on the list. My favourite step of the activity yesterday was wetting the cotton wool and placing it in.

Kind rearguards,
      Mitchell πŸ‘Ώ

• Hi Jenelle,

Great comment! I was in a group with, Ava, Ebony, Mitch S. Again great comment.

See you soon, πŸ˜†
      Lee :mrgreen:

• Dear Mrs Price and Grade p/1,
      thanks for the comment and one time we could get ideas from you.
      sincerely,
      Mitchell,s

• Hi Mitch,

Thanks for leaving a really good reply. I hope you can leave much more.

I hope you liked doing it because it was then a good idea if you did.

You leave some really good comments on the blog you know so I would like you to keep doing it.

Git 2 gallop,
        Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

• Hi Joan Price & Grade P/1,

4KJ really appreciate the comment on our blog!

Yes! It was very fun indeed!

Got 2 gallop,
      Paris ♥

P.S:
      The Got 2 Gallop closing is used because some of my friends and I love horses and like to use closings like that!

• Hi Paris,

thanks for replying to them. You beat me to it by a little bit. I hope you enjoyed doing blogging today instead of spelling.

I would have loved it because you know me. I still liked doing the job with Meg for Miss Jordan.

You would have had fun with us too and it would have been good to have someone else to help.

We were talking about camp while we were sharpening all of the pencils that needed doing.

I so wish Miss Jordan let you in too! Thanks again for replying.

Got 2 gallop,
        Liv ;lol: πŸ˜‰

2. Hi 4KJ,

Fantastic post! I can tell you put a lot of effort into it, Miss Jordan. πŸ˜›

I’m really looking forward to our, Plants in Action topic this term! I also can’t wait for the seeds to grow. Can you eat broad beans / long beans?

Got 2 Gallop,
    Millie ♥

• Hi Millie,

Thanks for the comment. I also hope the seeds grow and I also want them too pretty quick because then we can start the real work if you know what I mean.

It was a lot of fun to get the jobs, find out who we were with and do the first thing we needed to do.

Seeing things grow is really fun and i hope it will happen a lot of times after this one time.

You will enjoy doing whatever comes up next and so will everyone else. (The jobs are really cool by the way.)

I am not to sure if you can eat Broad beans/long beans. I hope you can! Thanks again for the comment on this post and keep up the great work.

Got 2 gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

3. Hi 4KJ,

Plants In Action was a great launch and I have to say it was so fun!

Great blog post by the way. Well I have to say Miss Jordan… You always write fantastic posts or anything that requires a blog! When Mrs Morris left, you have been very busy doing blog posts and I am sure it would be very hard doing 2 each week!

By the way the photos are great and clear. It seems as though I’m in one!

Millie’s recount piece is really good- Well Millie I have to admit you are a fantastic… NO! “PONYTASTIC” writer! To visit her blog go to: http://amelia.global2.vic.edu.au/ – and if you can I am sure she would love a comment.

In our first session of Plants In Action I was the recorder. I can’t wait to try the other things!

Got 2 Gallop,
    Paris ♥

• Hi Paris,

Liking the comment there. It is fantastic.. No! PONYTASTIC!!! That is a very good word to use so I might keep that in mind.

I a sure Millie’s recounts are very good because I know what she can write and believe e it is very good.

Yours are too it is just you were talking about Millie’s so I didn’t say you.

Yes I agree with you….. Miss Jordan writes very good blog posts and it would be hard for her to do two a week without Mrs Morris ❗ ❗ + I miss her. πŸ˜₯

I like the way you said…. It was a great launch. You could have said I like our new topic but you said something that blew my mind away to be honest.

Git 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

4. Hey 4KJ,

I don’t know a lot about plants but i know a little bit.

I want to know how long different types of plants take to grow.

My grandma loves plants she has them all over her backyard,at the front,as you walk in the front of the gate and at the side of the house.

My Mum also loves gardening but not as much as my grandma.

Do you have a lot of plants at your house?

Anthony πŸ˜† 😎

• Hey Anthony,

Nice commenting on this post. I hope you have enjoyed it like I always do. I also like the way you have put a question and I am going to answer it now……….

Yes I do and when the die my dad takes forever to get rid of them. I like them all though because they are all very pretty.

I have been noticing you leave very good high quality comments and whenever you do leave a comment it is very good.

I think I do a lot of blogging at home when I have acess to my laptop and the internet.

The new launch to our Inquiry topic is very fun and can teach you lots about plants and all of that.

It can also teach you to look after something because if you lose the seeds then it proves you cannot look after things propley.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

5. Hi 4KJ and Miss Jordan,

Great post and excellent piece of writing Millie. It’s so detailed.

Our new Inquiry topic sounds really fun and we did our first Inquiry about “Plants in Action” yesterday and I’m already enjoying it.

It was really fun how we got to plant broad beans and long beans in wet cotton wool. On Ultranet it was also fun writing the method about it.

Lets start with the questions.

What do you know about plants?
    I’m not quite a plant expert but I do know a few things about gardening and horse manure is good for the grass and trees. I know a lot about horses and ponies so that’s why I know that fact. I ride a lot too and when you do theory sometimes we have to learn about the horses poo and how to keep it and the horse healthy.

I hope to learn a bit more how you can plant seed and stuff in different things like how we planted beans in cotton wool.

My mum likes to garden every now and then but the most thing she likes about gardening is mowing the lawns!

Got to Gallop,
    ♥ Ava ♥

• Hi Ava,

Nice comment you wrote. I was doing some blogging before and then my mum said e had to go and pick my dad up so that is where I have been. I also had to have a shower as soon as I got home so there was a big break there.

The way you answered the questions was very good and I wish I could do it the same way but then that would be a bit boring. I am also happy with the way I do it.

I like the way you leave really good comments like that and I think i can do the same but not the same size because sometimes mine a bigger and sometimes mine are smaller.

Launching the new blog post and topic was really cool and I am so happy it happened in the end. I would like to learn a lot more about plants and the jobs we have.

Thanks again for the comment and I hope you can leave some more like that.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

6. Hi 4KJ,

I don’t know alot about plants so i’m looking forward to learning more.

I want to learn how many types of plants there are.

My Gar loves gardening. Her back and front yard are full of all different types of plants.

She is still working on her garden about two or three times a week.

Do you know how many types of plants there are?

Got to go,
    Harry πŸ˜› 😎 πŸ˜›

• Hi Harry,

I liked your comment you left. I hope you enjoyed doing it like I have been saying to a lot of people.

The question you gave me and whoever else was going to read it was really cool and I am going to answer it for you down below.

No I don’t but I would like to. Do you know or was it a question meaning you don’t know ❓

Thanks for the comment by the way and as I have also been saying I hope you can leave more great comments like this one.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

7. Hey 4KJ,

Great Post!
    Yes I do like gardening,so does all my family members.

I didn’t do the Inquiry topic,but it seems very fun!
    Bye.
    Got to go,
    Eden

• Hi Eden,

What a shame you didn’t get to do the Inquiry topic. I am sure you will have a really good time and have fun just like you said.

I am in a group of three so I get to have two jobs because the boys think I am more responsible.

The two boys I am with are…. Yunus and Jake. They are very good partners to have and I am glad Miss Jordan picked us to be in a group with each other.

It is good to hear all of your family likes gardening including you too! Mine does as well but we don’t normally do it.

Thanks for the comment and you should keep leaving much much more for me and the rest of 4KJ.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

8. Hi 4KJ,

I am really enjoying the “Plants in Action” topic. In my group I am the speaker. In my family my grandpa likes to grow veggies and fruit. He has a very big veggie patch. At the moment he is in Queensland for six weeks.

Got 2 go,
    From 😎 Darcy πŸ˜›

• Hey Darcy,

You left a very good comment there so thanks for it. I like to garden and it sounds like you do too.

It is a shame that your grandpa is not here with you so you can tell him about it now but I am sure when he gets back you won’t be able to wait.

In my group I am with Yunus and Jake. Because it is only the three of us one of us gets to have two jobs and that person is me.

Te two jobs I have are….. The Director and the Recorder. I think they are really fun jobs. Jake is the Speaker like you and then the only one left has to be the Manager and that is Yunus.

Got 2 Gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

9. Hi 4KJ,

Looks like you guys have written a really good post. We wish we could stare at it all day because it has shown us what the post is about and also what the Inquiry topic is about.

I hope you will leave us a comment and say what you guys thought of the post because then we could reply. Thanks!

I hope you guys will give us some information about what you thought too! We would love to hear it.

Got 2 gallop,
    Liv and Megsy πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

10. Hi 4KJ ,
    Great post I don’t really now lots about plants but there are all different tips of plant fruit and veg also flowers.

I hope to learn the process of studding a plant grow and writing in how science online booklet.

My Nanny loves gardening she even has her very own garden.

Got to go
    Jack :mrgreen:

• Hi Jack,

I think you Nanny will love her garden even more as it grows. i hope you sometimes help her.

She must like the company of the birds and little bugs because if you have plants then that’s where the bugs will come.

Thanks for leaving the comment on our blog by the way. I hope you liked leaving it and will have the time to leave another.

Great job and I am also liking our new Inquiry topic.

Got 2 gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

11. Congratulations Grade 4KJ.
    Your inquiry unit will be lots of fun and you will learn so much more about plants and their purposes.
    We will plant some different varieties of beans in our vege patch and our outdoor classroom during ENVIRO lessons too.
    I will record your classroom plantings in our National Tree Day efforts.
    Did you know today is National Tree Day for schools? You could google and look up this national day run by PlanetArk. You may even like to get your family to register and GET OUT AND GROW on Sunday by volunteering for a local Tree Day community event.
    Keep some of your questions for me when you come to ENVIRO classes and we can research to find some answeres.
    Mrs Moreno

• Hi Mrs Moreno,

Thanks for your really good comment on our blog post. I hope you can leave some more like this again soon.

I always have a good time in ENVIRO and I wish we had it everyday. I would like to be a monitor for marking the rest of the role when the jobs run out.

I hope you can give me a job soon because last time there were none left when it came to my turn.

Thanks for teaching us everything you have so far and I hope you would like to keep teaching about plants for a while.

My favorite part of ENVIRO lessons is moving the bins to where they should go so the students can put there rubbish in there.

I like our new Inquiry topic and I am going to enjoy working with Yunus and Jake to figure some more things out.

Thanks for the comment again and also thanks for answering some of our questions. I will be sure to keep some questions in my head for you on Monday.

Got 2 gallop,
      Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

12. Hi 4kj we are from st.thomas the apostle in Melbourne we saw your gardening post on your blog me and Kristina we love gardening we do gardening lessons at school give us feedback from Riley and Kristina

13. Dear Riley and Kristina,

Thanks for your wonderful comment. I would give you feedback and I can give you a small amount or a big amount if you like.

MY RECOMMENDED FEEDBACK:

– Paragraphs
    – Full stops
    – Capital Letters
    – Punctuation
    – Interesting Vocabulary

That is all and apart from that it was an excellent comment so well done and thank you.

I am afraid I am out of time so I will see if you have replied to me and I will keep checking.

Got 2 Gallop,
    Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

P.S The Got 2 Gallop closing is used because some of my friends and I love horses and like to use closings like that!

14. Hi 4KJ,

Great post! I have been doing lots of replying on here and it took me a while. I thought I better leave a comment myself first before I do more replying.

I think Miss Jordan put a lot of effort into this post so we should thank her and leave comments about it for her to read and approve.

It would be nice to see the whole grade leaving comments on this post for Miss Jordan because she does use most of her spare time.

ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

What do you know about plants?
    I know that some seeds can take a while to grow. The plants also need to have water all of the time because they won’t grow if they don’t.

I would like to learn the process of how they grow and if they can grow faster then how do you do it.

Yes I know that I like to garden and when I was 5 I helped my dad put the grass in the lawn. It was great fun.

My family does like to grow plants too, but we don’t really do much of it because we have over 20 plants at our house.

I think they are all of the answers I can give to you and I would love to write more abut each one it is just there are other people who might leave a comment and if I have said most of the things it might be the same as them. That then means the will just have to say the exact same things that I said.

Getting to do the first Inquiry lesson of this topic was really fun. I am in a group of three with Yunus and Jake. We have sorted out our roles without even having trouble.

I just want to say you guys all did a good job in the first session and I hope you are all happy with the groups you have been put in by Miss Jordan.

It has been nice seeing this post on the blog and I thought to myself I better leave a comment before another post gets put up.

Thanks Miss Jordan for writing this blog post in your spare time. I hope you will enjoy leaving comments on all of the other spectacular posts Miss Jordan writes for us to comment on.

MY QUESTIONS:

Who are you in a group with ❓
    If you could chose the groups how would you do it ❓
    Did you enjoy yourself at the first session ❓

Got 2 Gallop,
    Liv πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

15. Pingback: Plants In Action Update | 4KJ @ Leopold Primary School

16. Hi 4KJ
    I really enjoyed reading the post about the beans in the bag. I think it is a great idea keeping a log on the beans growth progress. I really enjoyed the step by step description of how to make one yourself.
    I love plants. I used to grow a lot of herbs, which are lovely for using in all sorts of cooking recipes. I must start one again; things like parsley, rosemary and coriander, are all very easy to grow. You have inspired me to get planting!
    Thanks again for a great, informative post.
    (Jessica’s Mum)

17. Hi 4KJ
    Wow those beans sure are magic!!! Wonder if they will grow as high as Jack’s beanstalk and take you all to a magical mystery land. lol
    The sunshine came out today, and it made me think about the gardening I need to attend to – there are quite a lot of weeds that have grown and they are not welcome in my garden, so looks like I have a bit of work ahead of me. I am looking forward to making a vegie garden soon. Any ideas on what I should plant?
    Well done on your posts 4KJ. Keep up the great work.
    Jessica’s mum