Bike Ed

This week, the grade four students are involved in our school Bike Ed program.

Each day, students complete four rotations designed to improve their riding skills and road safety awareness.

Students have practised the power position, riding safely from a driveway to the road, endurance riding, braking, riding on different surfaces, scanning, indicating, turning, riding single file, riding with a partner and riding in a straight line. Everyone is looking forward to learning more riding skills in the coming days.

Post on our Padlet! Just double click anywhere on the Padlet below to post a brief comment about bike riding.

Here are some photos of the 4KM and 4KJ students enjoying the Bike Ed rotations

We are looking forward to continuing our Bike Ed program for the next few days. We will practise all of our riding skills when we go on a street ride around Leopold next week.

Everyone is excited about our camp to Maldon next term, where we will do a lot more bike riding!

What do you like about Bike Ed?

What have you learnt so far in Bike Ed?

Do you like to go bike riding?

31 thoughts on “Bike Ed

1. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,
    Great post ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I think Bike Ed is a great way to ride bikes and have fun. I have learnt so many things from Bike Ed like riding abreast, having a safe helmet,turning out of a drive way, different surfaces we ride on and much more.

What do you like about Bike Ed? Well I like having a chance to ride and learn a lot.

Do you like to go bike riding? YES! I think it better than walking but for me not than running.

Got 2 go,
    From ๐Ÿ˜› Darcy ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Hi Darcy,

It is great to hear you are enjoying Bike Ed and learning a lot of new things about bike riding and safety.

I like bike riding too, but don’t do it often enough, maybe I will get my bike out and go for more rides now with Paris.

Cheers Lara (Paris’s Mum)

• Hey Darcy,

Good to see you blogging at home. I think that you left a great comment on the blog at home before school.

I think that they are great skills you have used and I think they are the same as mine. I have learnt lots so far and I am ready for more.

I think that I have learnt how to stand n the right side of the bike, how to tighten my helmet.

I have learnt so much more but I would be here all day if I ad to say them all. I will say it again you have written a great comment and the best thing is you did it at hoke before school.

Keep up with the commenting,
      Liv ★ ☀ โ—

2. Hi 4KM & 4KJ,

What a coincidence! Yesterday I went to a training course so that I can teach Bike Education to my Year 4’s later in the year. My class haven’t participated in Bike Ed, but I enjoyed learning about all the things that I will be able to teach them. My favourite part was riding with a partner and riding with a group. I think it is heaps of fun!
    What has been your favourite part of Bike Education so far? It sounds like you have learnt lots of different things!

From Miss T

• Hi Miss T,

That is great to hear โ— What I mean is it is great to hear you went to go somewhere so you can teach your grade 4’s Bike ed.

I think that it is a great thing to do and I am so happy we get to do it already. everything in the year of grade four has been so much fun.

It feels like hardly any time has hardly any time has gone by and I have been having so much fun with my teacher and friends.

Have fun โ— Keep up with the great blogging on our blog and I hope you can leave lots of other great comments on our blog.

From Liv ♥ ๐Ÿ™„ 8)

3. Hello 4KM and 4KJ

It was great to come along and help with your Bike Ed session on Wednesday. I could really see an improvement in your riding skills, even just in that short session.

I also loved all of the smiling faces and thank you’s I received while I was helping.

Well done and enjoy the rest of your Bike Ed experience.

From Lara (Paris’s mum)

• Hey Lara,

Thanks so much for the comment on our blog and post about Bike Ed. It sounds like you had a really great time. ๐Ÿ˜†

I think that you also did a great job f saying great riding and good job keep going. I also think that Paris, Ava and Millie had a good time as well.

Thanks again for the comment again and keep on going with the great instructions.

Thank again,
      Liv ♥

Thank you for bring great classmates through-out the last two lessons of Bike Ed. I have had so much fun being with you guys to learn th skills. I think that we have all learnt something new and found something they can improve on.

I know I have learnt which side of your bike to stand on, how you need to make sure you are doing PIS out of the rive way, going around sharp corners and lots lots more.

I think I need to improve on remembering to put my pedals in power position to start off with. I have had so much fun with all of you guys and you have been great friends to help me work on why I need to.

I think that Miss Jordan is lucky to have the basketball court because it is a nice smooth surface and I think that the wheels are connecting very well with the ground and are creating friction.

Mrs Morris also have a pretty neat spot because I think that riding on gravel is going to be a little bit hard. I think that Mrs Morris Is also doing a great job of teaching indurance riding to us.

I am so glad we get to do Bike Ed this year because vey one is doing a great job of learning more, listening and having fun. I know there are some of you that feel you need a bit more practise with riding bit don’t worry about it because that is why we are here for.

Great job to everyone who is out there having a go and leaving a comment on the blog about what they have learnt and what they think that could improve on.

QUESTIONS:
    What was your favourite thing to do and why?
    A. I think that my favourite thing was pulling out of the driveway safely because it is a great way for us to learn.
    Who did you do indurance riding with?
    A. The dirt time I did indurance riding with Jacob and then Millie and they were both great parter era to work with.
    What do you think you could improve on?
    A. I think that I could improve on using my front brakes a little bit better because I kind of have to start pushing them a far distance back and start slowing down before I can stop.

Keep up with the great comments and riding,
    Liv ♥

• Dear Olivia,
      great comment I think you are amazing
      at blogging and I have had a lot of fun this year.

I hope you have a good weekend.I love Bike
      Ed it is very fun and I hope you have a
      good year

from Alisha :lol)

• Hey Alisha,

Thanks for e reply and the comment you made on how I am a great blogger and you think I do an amazing job.

The reason I blog is because it is fun and believe me it fills in a lot of time. I have been having fun over the weekend and I am at the Gym with my dad while my brother is at a party.

I think that Bike Ed is fun as well and I am so glad the grade fours get to do it this year and enjoy themselves.

I am also having a splendid year and I can’t wait for more fun later on in e year because I have learnt so much I can’t say it all.

Keep up with you great replys and see you tomorrow for another great day of blogging laughter and fun!

From Liv ๐Ÿ˜†

• Hi Olivia
          I think your commenting is amazing because it is like you are on the blog all the time.And you do big comments all the time. I think it is amazing

5. Dear 4KJ and 4KM,

Great to read your messages. I think having a structured Bike Ed program is a wonderful opportunity for you all.

It’s great to get out and enjoy the fresh air (even if it is a little cold!)and learn road rules, how to safely share the road and footpath, how to power ride, and general bike safety. In my job I work with people who have acquired brain injuries – it is so important to follow the road rules and know how to ride your bike safely, whilst still having fun! Keep up the great work.

Thanks to the teachers for taking and posting the photos – I loved looking at them all.

Nikki (Millie’s mum)

• Hey Nikki,

Thanks for the comment on our blog on the post about Bike Ed. I think that was a great comment you left so thank you very much.

I agree: It is fun to go outside and enjoy the fresh air even if it is cold because the wind is a great feeling once you have been in a hot place.

I think that Bike Ed has been so fun so far and I have been learning lots of skills.

It is also fun how there are four different events with four different teachers and I am having with them and it is great to learn new skills.

Have fun with the work you have ahead and it would be great to see you leaving more comments.

From Liv ♥

6. Hi Everyone,

Bike is an fantastic activity to do and I think everyone has enjoyed it because I have definitely have.
    During Bike Ed I have enjoyed so far is all the activities.It was very interesting to learn P.I.S (Power position,Indicate and Scan).

Got 2 Go,
    Eden ๐Ÿ™‚

• Hell ♥ Eden,

I have enjoyed all of the activities as well, but today my favourite activity would have to be with Mrs H. That is because I liked practising turning around a roundabout.

Do you have a favourite activity from today โ“ Why was that your favourite activity โ“

See Ya,
      ♥ Haille ♥

7. Dear 4km and 4kj,
    I love Bike ED it is really fun.My favourite thing is probably turning around a roundabout.

I never knew how to sit in power position before but since we have been doing Bike ED I have learnt how.

From your blogging friend,
    Rochelle

• Hi Rochelle,

Thank you for leaving a comment on e blog. I think that Bike Ed is fun as well and it is a great thing to do because we are learning heaps as well as having fun โ—

I think that my favourite thing to do would have to be learning how to pull out of the driveway and endurance riding.

I also think that the teachers are doing a great job teaching it to us and they are having a lot of fun as well as us.

Keep up with your great riding, learning and blogging,
      Liv ๐Ÿ˜†

• Dear Liv,
        Thanks for replying to me you are a very good blogger.

I think that the teachers are doing great teaching us to.I also think that are having fun teaching us all this stuff about riding safely on the rode.

keep up the blogging,
        Rochelle

Great post!

I’ve really liked bike ed so far and I canโ€™t wait for the big ride on Tuesday, I canโ€™t wait to go on the big ride because I have never really gone on a far bike ride but I have once been on a 5k walk, my legs weren’t even tired.

I like all of the activities because they teach me heaps of things and I think all of the activities are great!

I have learnt that you have to indicate when you are riding in the middle of the road at a roundabout when turning. I also learnt what endurance and 2 abreast means.

I love to go bike riding; I always ride my bike during the day and sometimes after school. I went for a big bike ride with my dad yesterday, and I was really puffed when I got home. I would like to start riding on the road but I know that I have to wait till I am older than 12 or 12.

Happy blogging ๐Ÿ˜€ โ—

From M♥g

• Hey M♥g,

You leave great comments on the blog and have a lot to say about the things you learn โ—

As I have said to many other people I am enjoying Bike Ed so fat and I think that it is a great thing to d because you get to learn about it and have lots of fun.

I am having fun learning how to pull out of the driveway with Mr. Renkin. He does a great job of telling us what to do and it is great.

The other teachers do as well except Mr. Renkins stands out the most to me. The other teachers have also got great spots for theirs.

It is good to hear you are still doing your exercise by going for a big, long bike ride after school. I do the same except with Bike Ed I leave my bike at school so I am going to be doing more bike riding once we have finished.

I hope it does not rain for the last lesson of it tomorrow because that would be ashame if there were important things we need to know for the ride on Tuesday.

Keep up your great blogging skills and I will see you tomorrow for another fantastic day of learning Bike Ed and maybe Art.

From Liv ๐Ÿ˜†

P.S Happy Blogging to you as well โ—

9. Pingback: SLM508 MGP

10. Hi 4km and 4kj
    I learnt which way to weave your bike.
    bike ed is awesome because different surfaces.
    bike riding is great even when you ride with your parents ๐Ÿ˜†

11. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,
    I agree that it was a great launch of our Bike Ed program. I am sure everyone will be A-grade bike riders by the end of our bike Ed days. ๐Ÿ™‚

What I like about Bike Ed:
    I like a lot of things about Bike Ed. Especially doing little courses like Mr. Renkin’s and Mr. Lees’ activities. Doing the other activities with Mrs. Morris and Ms. Jordan were very fun as well.

What have you learn’t so far in Bike Ed:
    WOW! I have learn’t too… Stand on the right side of your bike, how to pull out of a drive way, the P.I.S signals, braking and a lot more.

Do you like to go bike riding:
    Yes, yes, yes and yes! I go on some bike rides with my dad and really enjoy them.

Got 2 gallop,
    Paris :mrgreen::mrgreen:

12. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

Great post, or shall I say Awesome post!

I love Bike Ed so much, it’s really fun how you get to learn new skills and get better at your riding. I have learnt so many new words. My favourite word that I learnt wad PIS. It’s not exactly a word but it is sort of at the same time. Anyway lets get back to PIS. P stands for Power Position, I stands for Indicate and S stands Scan. When you are riding on the rode you have to get ready in your Power Position, Indicate and Scan. It’s really important to do those things when you are riding on the road.

I do go bike riding often and that is usually when I’m not out horse riding. I usually ride to Drysdale with My mum, brother and cousins. It’s really fun because we ride, we have lunch, ride around Drysdale and ride home. It’s really fun when we ride there.

Great blog post again!

Got to Gallop,
    Ava

Great post.

I love doing bike ed. My bike is a BMX bronco and it has a white seat.

I have learnt a lot like power position, braking correctly, PIS which stands for power position, indicate and scan

I can’t wait for the ride tomorrow I have only done 1 big ride which was about 5 km.

Harry ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿ˜€

14. Dear 4KM and 4KJ :mrgreen:

I really like doing the bike program because we had a chance to learn the safety skills we didn’t know about and I didn’t know much about bike safety well I knew some.

I liked doing the activities my favorite activity was doing P.I.S(Power position, Intricate, Scan)
    On the road.

What I learnt was indicating when going around cars and roundabouts.My favorite activity was doing the weaving with miss Jordan.

What skill have you learnt in bike ed or somewhere else? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Do you like bike riding?

:mrgreen: Jude :mrgreen:

I love Bike Ed it is so much fun.

Thank you to all the parents and Grade 4 teachers for organising the Bike Ed activities.

I really like doing Bike Ed in the morning because it wakes me up.

It is going to be sad when Mrs Morris goes because she will not be going to camp with us, and she is a nice teacher.

I think Bike Ed is great because it is really well organised and you learn a lot of bike rules.

I have learnt PIS.

I love bike ridding it is really fun.

From your 4KM blogging buddie,
    Keira. ๐Ÿ˜† :mrgreen:

16. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

Great photos of everyone enjoying Bike Ed and also the Padlet comments showing each other how to be safe with their bikes and also on the road.

I know Charlotte has really enjoyed Bike Ed this past week and can not wait to go to camp very soon ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck with the big bike ride tomorrow!

Martine

• Hi Martine
      Hi I am Alisha Thank you for commenting
      on the 4KM and 4KJs blog we all had a fun time
      on the big bike ride.sorry got to go

from Alisha

17. Pingback: Ed’s Excellent Bike Adventure | 4KM and 4KJ @ Leopold Primary School

I don’t go bike riding with my family but I ride with my friends up the street and cypress cressent. I ride down the rail trail. Where do you ride?

From Jacob