Melbourne Storm Rugby League Clinics

For the last few weeks, the Grade Four students have enjoyed being involved in three Melbourne Storm rugby league clinics.

Rugby league is a football code that is popular in Australia, particularly in Queensland and New South Wales. Here are some facts about rugby league:

• It is a full contact sport (but we didn’t play the contact version)
  • It is usually played by two teams of thirteen on a rectangular field
  • You can only throw the ball backwards
  • Rugby originated in 1895 in England
  • Rugby is played internationally and it is very popular in England, Australia, New Zealand, France, Tonga and Papua New Guinea
  • The main method of scoring is called a try
  • The Australian rugby league competition is called the National Rugby Leage and it consists of 16 teams
  • Melbourne Storm is Victoria’s only team and they joined the NRL in 1998
  • Rugby league is known as one of the toughest, most physically challening team sports.

Image: ‘DAN OREGAN’
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28990363@N05/4532900381
Found on flickrcc.net

During the previous sessions, the students learnt all of the important skills and rules needed to play rugby league. Today, all of the Grade Four students assembled on the oval to participate in several matches of rugby league. It was wonderful to see the students putting their skills to the test as they competed to score tries for their teams.

Here are some photos of the 4KM and 4KJ rugby league stars in action!

Thank you to our instructor, Ben, from Melbourne Storm for teaching us so many wonderful rugby league skills. All of the students loved the experience of learning a new sport!

What did you learn about playing rugby league?

Do you know any other rugby league facts?

How did you go in the rugby games?

What sport do you enjoy playing?

50 thoughts on “Melbourne Storm Rugby League Clinics

I had so much fun playing the Melbourne Storm clinic I play rugby on my trampoline it is hard because i verse my 16 year old brother.

sincerely Connor(:

• Dear Connor

Yes I had so much fun to.
      I think the best part was versing the other grade four class.

What was your best part of the Melbourne Storm clinic?

From your blogging mate Andrew,

• Hi Andrew,

Great reply.
        I had lots of as well. My favorite part was the Rugby league clinic it was awesome.

I would love to thank Ben so much Ben for the Rugby clinic all of the grade 4’s had so much FUN!

It is great to see that you Andrew on to blog see you replying to children.

Keep it up
        Riley

• Hi Andrew,

Thanks for yet another comment on the blog for me to reply to. It fills in lots of my time so that I don’t get bored.

The Rugby League was a great idea and I think that everyone like it so in other words they had fun.

It was such a great thing to have been done and I think that Ben put lots of effort into it. I had so much fun and so did everyone else.

Do you want to do it again?

From Liv ♥

• Hi Connor,

Nice comment.
      I played Rugby at and I got nine try.
      Did you get a try? I didn’t.

I have a 16 year old brother as well his name is Josh. But would not play Rugby with me he is to Steuben. I would have to ask my sister Ebony.

I had lots of great times playing Rugby with 4KJ. Some of the photos were funny don’t you think. Miss Jordan got some got photos.

My favorite thing was the last week when we played all of the grade 4’s.

from
      Riley

• Hi Riley

Awesome comment rugby was really fun. I didn’t now that you could kike in rugby.

how many trys did you get

Bye for now your mate
        Jack

• Dear Jack,

Great reply to Riley. I think you did a great job in Rugby League and when I got a chance I tried to see where you guys were playing so I could have a look.

it was a nice thing to play Rugby League and let some people get a ball while others were ment to get them in P.E but didn’t.

Thanks again for the comment on our blog and I hope to see more wonderful comments from you all.

From Liv ♥

• Hi Connor,
      I don’t play rugby I don’t now way I don’t play it I gust never feel like it.

from Alisha ๐Ÿ™‚

• Hi Alisha,

Thanks again for the comment to Connor on how you don’t really play Rugby League.

I think that it is a great sport so I play it in the backyard with my brother when that awful rain isn’t here.

I don’t think I will be playing with the ball outside much now because it is Winter. (No fair.)

I wish we could have magical powers to get rid of it and go outside to play sports.

I also like to play Cricket,Football do swimming and play netball. They are also great sports.

From Liv ♥

• Hi Olivia
          I do play netball
          and thank you for replying that it very nice of you that makes me happy
          that I now that I can get a reply it makes me very happy ๐Ÿ™‚
          From Alisha

• Hi Connor,

I have Played Rugby league for 4 years and i played under 8,9,10,and 11.I used to play rugby league in my backyard with my brother Mitchell. My favorite sport was Rugby but now it’s football.

I used to play for the Crocs

What is your favorite sport to play?

Have you ever played for a team

Jake :mrgreen:

• hey Jake,

Great comment on how you used to play Rugby League with your brother Mitchell. I bet you guys had fun.

I always have fun when it comes to sport and I think that when I grow older I will play lots.

The thing is because they cost so much money to do just one that is all I am allowed to do.

I love to play Football but you see the things is with this is if I play it outside with Riley’s ball then Darcy just comes up out of nowhere grabs the ball and kicks a goal.

Great to see you blogging again and keep going with it because you are doing an awesome job. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜€

From Liv ♥

2. Dear Grade 4s,
    I am a grade 2 teacher from Alberta, Canada. I was glad to read your post about rugby as I know very little about it. I did go to school with some boys that played rugby, and it sounded like a very rough sport. Does anybody in your class play volleyball? That is by far my favourite sport!
    From your slidshow pictures, it looks like you all had a lot of fun, learned new skills and got lots of exercise as well. Way to go!
    Sincerely,
    Ms.J

• Hi Ms J,

I am from 4km and I want to say thank you for commenting on our blog. I have never played Volleyball I am sure it is fun. Rugby is a very rough sport but we did not do it as rough as it is we did not tackle at all thank goodness.

From Claudia ๐Ÿ™‚

• Hey Claudia,

Great comment again. This is a wonderful thing to play and I am glad we did it.

Did you have fun? It is also great to see you are replying to Mrs J and I think that she would love it. I wonder if she will reply to you.

I can’t wait to do Rugby League again next year beat all of the other teams and have a great time.

It is an awesome sport sop keep going with the commenting about it.

From Liv ♥

• Hi ms J

Thank you for your comment on how blog.
      Doing rugby was fun. now one in owe grade plays volleyball.

yes we did learn a lot of new sills about rugby like you can kike it past the team to score a try.

Got to go(:
      Jack(mrgreen)

• Hey Jack,

Great to see you up and about on the blog leaving great comments on the blog to Connor and your other friends.

I think that the Rugby League was a great thing to be doing and I know that I certainly learnt a lot about it and I now play it with my family.

It is a great sport for kids and adults who like to play sports so I think this may be the one to look for.

From Liv ♥

3. Dear Connor

Yes I had so much fun to.

From your blogging mate Andrew,

• Hi Andrew,

Thanks so much for the comment on our blog because now I can reply. It is great to see you leaving a comment for Coonor. Which Connor is it?

I also had lots of fun and I think that lots of other people did to. Even though I missed the first week it was still fun.

I think that I have learnt so much from just two lessons on how to learn to play and that is what helped us girls win every game of Rugby League.

I still haven’t got a ball yet but I already have won from last years P.E lessons on rugby League so I may not need a new one.

From Liv ♥

4. Dare 4KM and 4KJ,

I loved Melbourne Storm Rugby league did you like Melbourne Storm Rugby League? And my favorite spot is
    calisthenics.Sorry it was a shot comet

best withes
    Heather

• Hi Heather,

It is great to see you leaving a comment. I never new that Calisthenics was a sport so there is something I just learnt.

I enjoyed the Rugby League Clinic and I had lots of fun. I thought that you could pass the ball anywhere you like to anyone on your team but you can’t just throw it anywhere.

It was a great fun and I even had enjoyed trying to pull off the other teams tags. (Which was my favourite thing to do and I am happy to do it any other time. :P)

It was great to talk to you on a Sunday afternoon using our fingers and having some fun with it. ๐Ÿ™‚

See you at school tomorrow and hey keep going with the awesome blogging you are doing. ๐Ÿ˜€

From Liv ♥

5. Hi Conner,

WOW you said you play ruby with your 16 brother and I think that would be HARD. Also I think it would be hard on the Trap I could not do that on my trap.

FROM Claudia

• Hi Claudia,

Great reply to Connor on the blog. It would be great if I knew which one it was but that doesn’t really matter.

It was so nice of you to leave a comment on the blog and the thing I liked the most about it was how you have used words of how you think it would be to play against someone who is 16.

I also think the same thing as you: It would be hard to play against someone who is 16 and even if he is your brother. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for leaving a comment for someone to reply to. ๐Ÿ˜€

From Liv ♥

6. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,
    I play netball it is a fun sport
    we once got 14 goals it was fun this sesen I get to
    be center center means you can go any were on the court but you cant go on the circles on the court
    got to go

from Alisha

• Dear Alisha,

Thanks for leaving a comment on the blog and saying you play netball. I also do and you already know that because we have played against you. (That was fun.:P)

Even though we won you still acted like a good sport and I gave you so many tips I can’t even remember how many.

I also had fun with the Rugby League and I want to do it all over again. I missed the first week because of my sore leg but got to play the 2nd and 3rd.

Once again great to see you leaving a comment o the blog and saying which sport you like to play. ๐Ÿ™‚

From Liv ♥ ๐Ÿ˜€

• Dear Olivia
        I think I can rily count on you because you are a good friend and I now I can count on you ๐Ÿ™‚

from Alisha

Great post.
    I loved the Rugby clinic and I am sure that lots of other children did as well. It was really cool when I got the free Rugby league ball. I would love to say thank you Mr Hear for orgenising it for us.

Thank you Miss Jordan for taking 4KJ out so that we could do the Rugby clinic with Ben. You got some good photos of some of the girls and some of the boys.

From Riley

• Dear Riley,

Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog. I also enjoyed the Rugby League and I want to do it again. Ben put lots of work into all of the lessons and he did a great job.

I liked it when he smiled at us all because it lit up his face and that was great to see. I hope it will be like this next year if they don’t change anything.

From Liv ♥

• Dear Liv,

Thank you for replying to me.
        I liked it when I saw you in the photo it was funny. I think that Ben put lots of great effort into all of this.
        It must of taken a long time to orgenising this for lps.

I would love to do this agen in grade five and six. The boys in my team did a good job, and we did not lose any games.

Did the girls in your team do a good job?

Riley[:

• Hey Riley,

Thanks for the other reply back to me. I think that was a great comment and was your longest.

I think that was good you had won all of your games.

The girls did as well and we also ha he fastest team and that came in handy for us as well.

I think that this was fun and very good for our energy.

Thanks again for the reply and I will see you at school on Tuesday.

Have fun with Bike Ed on the Tuesday and keep up with the great blogging.

From Liv ♥

8. Hi guys,
    I really enjoyed doing the rugby league clinic.
    I wish I got to make him a card at home.
    I really like the photos that Miss Jordan took.
    Can I ask you guys some questions?

What did you enjoy about the Melbourne storm clinic?
    A. I enjoyed Ben teaching us the skills.

Q. Did have any idea what Rugby League was?
    A. Not really!

Better go,
    Prinnie (Princess)

• Hey Princess,

thanks so much for the comment on this post. I think that this Rugby League thingy was a great idea.

I also think that Ben put lots of effort into it.

From Liv ♥

I learnt so many things about playing rugby league,I learnt to score a try, to play the ball, to kick the ball and a lot of other stuff.

No, I don’t know any more rugby league facts.

In the rugby games I got hurt a bit but it was still fun.

I enjoy playing basketball, football and rugby league.

Loganm

• Hey Logan M,

I am the same as you: I learnt lots about how to play Rugby League. I never knew you had to pass the ball backwards I thought you could pass it anywhere but no.

As I have said to most people I think that Ben put in lots of effort to teach us all of the skills and how to play the game. The reason I think this is because don’t forget he had to teach all of the grade 5’s and 6’s as well.

I think he did a great job and desevered something from us just like he did. I think he will be more than welcome to come back and I think he will want to.

From Liv ♥

• Hi Connor,

Yes I did have fun doing the Rugby League Clinic and I want to do it all over again. Even though I missed the firs week I still had fun in the second and third.

Ben was a really nice guy and he deserved the card and thank you we gave to him. I think that he did a hreat job and was nice.

From Liv ♥

My favorite sport is soccer and football.

I play football with my friends in 4KM and 4KJ.

There is only one in 4KM and 4 in 4KJ my friends and I play for Leopold green under 10s in 4KJ I am the only one who has played in the under 12.

From Jacob

• Hey Jacob,

That is really interesting to know that you have been the only one who has played in the under 12’s.

I love to play football and that is my favorite sport. I play netball and that is the only sport I am allowed to do.

I would love to do football but at least I get to do one of them. It was great talking to you and I can’t wait to start another day at school tomorrow.

From Liv ♥

Did you have fun playing the Melbourne Storm rugby league clinic because I did

From Connor (mrgreen)

• Hi Connor,

Yes I did have lots of fun with the Rugby League comment and I can’t wait to do it again next year with the grade 5’s.

I hope that it will be Ben again but if it isn’t I am sure he or she will still be nice like Ben.

I hope we can all play it some day and have a little laugh at the things we did not do right.

From Liv ♥

Did you have fun playing the Melbourne Storm rugby league clinic because I did.

I dont play rugby league I but I play under 12s football.

From Connor (mrgreen)

• Hi Connor,

I think that Football is a great sport and it is my favorite. I would love to play it but I already do netball so I am not allowed.

Great to see you on the blog again and I think you are doing a great job with the commenting so keep up the great work.

I think that playing the Rugby League was fun and I enjoyed it. I also think that Ben did a great job a teaching us the skills and he deserved Ebony’s card.

He was such a great teacher at showing us the skills we were to learn. It was all great fun and I am so sad that I missed the first week. ๐Ÿ™

From Liv ♥

• hey Jess,

My favorite sport would have to be netball and football. They are great team sports to play and I like to play them with really close friends.

I think that if you and Yunus went against each other in scooer it would be a really close game. I would love to watch it.

From Liv ♥

13. Dear 4KM and 4KJ, ๐Ÿ˜†

I really enjoyed doing the rugby league clinic and was a bit upset when it finished.

I also enjoyed looking at all of the photos of us, one looks like I was about to kick the ball but I had just tapped it on my foot so I was running. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Haille :mrgreen:

• Dear Hallie,

I like your smiley faces in the comment. I think that I was sad to when it finished because it was so fun.

Even though I only played 2 rounds I was still having fun the whole time even if our team did not win.

The other thing I liked about it was the way Ben taught us it because he had the words perfect for each skill he said.

Now I know you aren’t Ben but well done for the skills you showed us and I learnt lots so thank you.

He did so well and I ave been watching him play. He uses the skills he showed us and does a really good job just like us.

Great job Hallie for leaving a comment on the blog and keep on going because you are doing a great job.

Keep going with the great blogging,
      Liv ♥

14. Hi Connor,
    Well I enjoyed it too!
    Well I dont play football to and I dont play Rugby league.

My mum dosen’t really want me too she said it is too rought.

Bye,
    Princess

• Hey Princess,

I think that if I tried to ask my mum to let me play she would say “No it is for boys and you are a girl plus you already play one sport.”

I don’t really mind because I can understand where she is coming from so that is why I play Football out on the oval during my snack and lunch.

Great job with the commenting you are doing so far and keep on going.

From Liv ♥

Great post you did on the Melbourne Storm Rugby League Clinic. I was really sad when the 3 week clinic was over.

I learnt that you can kick the ball and that you can only throw the ball backwards.

I think I went pretty well on the Rugby games. They were hard because everyone on the other team was surrounding you, and you didn’t know where to go. But other than that I think I went pretty well.

I enjoy playing 3 sports. They are:
    1.Netball
    2.Football
    3.Soccer

I would like to keep on going with this comment but I have to go.

Happy Blogging,
    Meg ๐Ÿ˜Ž :mrgreen:

• Hey Meg,

I like the way you finished your comment. It is nice and it makes me want to blog all day long.

I think the same as you: I wish the 3 weeks of it did not have to go so fast on us.

I only got to play two weeks of it because of my sore leg but I think the rest of it was fun.

Everything Ben taught us was so fascinating and the skills were so fun to learn.

I wish everything went for longer but it didn’t. I also thought that the Billy Cart Incursion was fun and I wish we could do that all over again.

Great job with the comment on how you wish the Rugby League Clinic went for longer just like me.

I think that no matter what Ben said it was all fun to learn and I could do it all over again.

I hope I am not making this comment to long for you but it is just I have so much to say.

I think that Football is a really fun sport to play and it is my favorite. I play netball with Ava and it is really fun.

I do not play soccer because I am not really interested in that because I can not really get the ball so it is no use.

Great job again on all of your comments you put on the blog and I will see you at school tomorrow for Bike Ed. (YAY!)

Keep up your fantastic blogging,
      Liv ♥