Grade Four Special Visitor Afternoon

On Thursday afternoon, all of the Grade Four classes held a “special visitor afternoon” to celebrate the netbook program.

Our netbook program is called CLIC. This stands for Collaborative Learning In Classrooms. The aim of our CLIC afternoon was to celebrate theย  learning that is happening in Grade Four with the netbooks. Students invited a family member or special visitor to come to the classroom to complete some fun netbook tasks.

Students each made an invitation for the event

In 4KM and 4KJ we use the netbooks every day. We regularly use them in our reading activities and sometimes include them in our writing, maths and inquiry lessons. We also do lots of learning with our books, paper and pens, concrete materials and other learning tools.

The students had a wonderful time sharing a variety of netbook activities with their special visitor.

The menu below shows the tasks everyone completed.

Here are some photos of the afternoon.

ย *****

One of the netbook activities was visiting this problem solving post on our class blog. The challenge was to solve the number problem and write a blog comment with the solution. Well done to everyone who had a go at solving the problem! The task came from the NRICH website. There are many solutions to this problem. Check them out here!

*****

It was wonderful to see so many mums, dads, siblings, grandparents, uncles and aunties learning from the 4KM and 4KJ students.

We thank all of our special visitors for joining us to celebrate the wonderful learning that is happening in our classrooms!

*****

What was your favourite netbook task from the CLIC afternoon?

What did you teach your special visitor?

What have you learnt through the netbook program so far this year?

Do you have any other ideas for netbook activities that could be done at a future CLIC afternoon?

29 thoughts on “Grade Four Special Visitor Afternoon

1. Dear 4Km and 4KJ,

I really enjoyed the CLIC afternoon with Sophie, i enjoyed the clay your self activity it was funny to see how to make yourself different.

Sophie taught me that using netbooks is fun and how many different things are on them.

Sharon (Sophie’s mum)

2. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,
    my favorite activity
    was the avatar because I made my
    baby sister on clay your self and
    my mum.Also the zip tales and I also
    liked the CLIK afternoon it was a lot of fun.

I hope you all had a great time
    with your special visitor on the
    CLIK

3. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,
    Great post about the CLIC afternoon! :mrgreen:

Q. What was your favourite netbook activity?
    A. 10 fast fingers (spelling test).

Q. What did you teach your special visitor?
    A. I tought my special person how to make an avatar.

Q. What have you learnt through the netbook program so far?
    A. I have learnt so many blogging skills and learnt how to use different websites and things like Google chrome, internet explorer etc.

Q. Do you have any other ideas for netbook activities that could be done at a future CLIC afternoon?
    A. I don’t have many ideas but I have one. To show the special visitors some of our class blogs.

Paris ♥

• Dear Paris,

Great comment! I love the paragraphs and punctuation.

My favourite activity was build your wild self. I made one of Mum and I.

We attempted to go on spelling city but it took for ever. But we were patient. When we finished the test our score didn’t work. but I bet Mum beat me.

Harry ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

4. What a wonderful way to share your learning, and show off your skills! I love this idea, and wonderful too to see so many enthusiastic parents & grandparents joining in and taking time to become involved in that learning.
    A very joyful post to share – thankyou!
    Mrs Monaghan

• Hello Mrs Monaghan,

I am Jordi from 4KM…

Thank you for the comment on the post of our special visitors!

My pa came with me and hes favourite activity was typing and the subitising ones.

I had lots if fun showing my skills on my netbook to my pa.

Jordi
      4KM

• Dear Mrs Monaghan,

Thank you so much for the comment on our blog. I had so much fun reading it. I am also having fun replying to it.

I also thought that this was a good opportunity for us to show off our skills to whoever came. I think that my uncle had a great time because he even said it.

I also want to be a teacher when I grow up so if it does happen I could do an activity like this one.

I was so exited when I heard it was going to be on and I was even more exited when I found out I was going to be making the announcements to welcome and say good bye to everyone.

It was good to hear you enjoyed this post and I am glad to see you even left a comment.

Unfortunetly I am out of time and have to go to learn much more things. It was nice talking to you and getting to read and reply to your comment because that is what I love to do the most.

From Olivia (I am in 4KJ)

5. Hello 4KM and 4KJ,

I was very impressed with the range of activities you had prepared for your special visitors. When not at school any longer, it can be hard to know what is available for use in the classroom.

Such an experience makes me wonder what might be happening had I still a class of my own. I know I would be exploring many new ways of learning, something I had been doing since first using a computer in class back in 1981.

Keep your eyes and minds open to learning possibilities.

Ross Mannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Dear Ross Mannell,

Thanks for your comment on our blog. I had lots of fun reading it and could do it over and over again.

I had fun with our special afternoon and so did Warick (my uncle who came.) I always have fun when something special is on and we get to take people with us.

I like it when you leave comments on the blog for us to read and reply to. I will say it again “thank you for the comment on our blog I enjoyed reading it.”

I have always thought that when you test all possibilities the you are sure to find an answer. Sometimes I even try but not always.

Yunus also shows me the comments you leave on the blog and I think that they are always good and fun to read. Sometimes when I am not on blogging for reading groups I wish I could get on and reply.

I am afraid that is all I have time for at the moment but I will be back soon. It was nice talking to you and getting to read and reply to your comment because that is what I love to do the most.

From Olivia (I am in 4KJ. Or the other way to remeber it is I am Yunus’s friend)

• Dear Olivia,

I see you are also a skilled commenter. ๐Ÿ™‚

It can be fun visiting blogs and leaving comments. Some of my comments become so long, or I need to share photos or videos, I have to create a blog post of my own.

There are so many interesting posts being shared around the world it can be a big task visiting as many as possible. Luckily, I’m interested in so many topics, I find it easy to enjoy many posts and can sometimes share extra information with the blogger.

Keep blogging. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ross Mannell

• Dear Ross,

Thanks for the reply and the comment on saying how I am a great blogger.

I liked the way you signed off you comment by saying: Keep blogging. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think that now you have replied we can start a conversation.

I also think that someone else left a reply to you and said something about how 32 years is a long time ago.

I also agree that there are lots of interesting things you can do when you visit other post’s.

Now I am going to ask you some questions:
          How long have you been blogging for? ๐Ÿ˜€
          Do you find it fun? ๐Ÿ˜›
          How many blogs have you had? ♥

From Olivia ๐Ÿ™‚

• Hello Olivia,

I first looked at blogs in the second half of 2011 but I didn’t really start blogging until the beginning of 2012.

I had no idea how much I would enjoy visiting blogs when I started but it has become an important part of my life. Yes, I find it fun and I learn more along he way.

I have seven blogs and a You Tube channel. My Extended Comments blog is the most successful followed by the You Tube channel then my story writing blog.

Ross Mannell

• Dear Ross Mannell,

Thanks again for the comment back to me. (In other words the reply.:) )

It is interesting to find out how long you have been blogging for.

I have been doing it since I was in grade 2 so only for two years.

Even though it is only that it is still a long time to me.

Last year I had a change of teachers half way through because the other one I had (Mrs Wilson) went to Europe so I got Mr. Seach and we got cut it low on the blogging.

And to then come to grade four and fnd out I have two amazing teachers that teach me lots have a really big and popular blog it was an amazing moment.

I am afraid I don’t want to make this comment to long for you to read so I am going to go and find something else to do like much more commenting to other people.

From Olivia ๐Ÿ™‚ ♥

• Dear Ross Mannell,
      1981 was 32 years ago that’s was a long time ago.

Yes it would be hard to know what is available for use in class rooms.

Thanks for the fantastic is was a good quality from,
      Rochelle

• Dear Rochelle,

32 years ago is quite a long time. It is close to half my life but is still a little more than half as I am still a little over 5 years away from 64.

I have seen very many changes in computers and other technology in those years and still enjoy the challenge of learning about new equipment. When you decide to be a lifelong learner, challenges keep you thinking. ๐Ÿ™‚

Keep blogging,
        Ross Mannell

I loved that afternoon so did my mum. My mum and I did half of the activities on the menu and we did not seem to get the answer.

Thank you for choosing me for the speech. I really enjoyed it. My mum said I was great up there.

When us three practised with only 4KM and 4KJ I mucked up, but when we did the real thing I did not muck it up so that was good.

My mum’s and I’s was the word cloud.

I tought my mum heaps of stuff.

I have learnt a lot more in 4KM and 4KJ, and it will be sad when Mrs Morris goes.

I did when the menu was up, but I have forgoten.

Keira. ๐Ÿ˜†

7. Dear who ever is reading this

Me and My dad liked tagxedo. Tagxedo is a word builder to create shirts, mugs etc.
    I told my dad that your netbook is very smart(well not very):lol:
    Dad learnt that he could put videos on his computer. I told him to to type it on windows start bar.
    Got to go… No wait!…….
    From Kyle :mrgreen:

My poppy and I enjoyed the CLIC afternoon. He thought that it was a marvelous idea because it’s a great way of people all age’s can learn how to get better at typing, spelling, maths and all other kinds of subjects.

So far this year I have learnt how to type faster, add links to my blog and also I’ve learnt keyboard shortcuts.

Kind regards,

Jesse

9. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

I hope every one had a great afternoon doing CLIC CLIC stands for collaborative learning in classrooms and I also hope everyone had a great time trying to finish all the activities.

My Nanna and I didn’t to get to do all the activities because we spent to much time doing clay yourself, build your wild self and mini mizer.

My favorite activities were clay yourself and speed grid challenge.

What was your favorite challenge or activitie?

Do you have any feedback for me?

From Jude

10. Hello 4KM and 4KJ,
    I enjoyed the CLIC afternoon a lot. My favourite activity was the typing test. I got 29 words. I taught my dad how to subitise. Throughout the year on our netbooks I have learnt how to write a post, some keyboard shortcuts and lots of other things. For a future activity we could do a post with our special visitor.

I have looked at the solution page to sealed solutions. My dad and I got the right answer. We submitted 8+0.

Thank you very much to the organizers of this special afternoon. Thanks to you it was a very fun afternoon.

Best Wishes,
    Anneliese

11. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

What a wonderful afternoon we all had last thursday! I know I had a great time with Charlotte exploring all the different sites and completing all the different tasks that were set for us. I think we got through most of them.

I really enjoyed the typing test and making the clay version of myself, that was quite funny ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for a great afternoon and keep up all the excellent work on your netbooks grade 4!

Happy blogging ๐Ÿ™‚

Martine

12. Hi 4KM and 4KJ, ๐Ÿ˜†

I had a really great day on the CLIC afternoon. Emi (my mum’s mum) came for me so my mum went for Claudia.

Here are my answers for the questions.

Q. What was your favourite netbook task from the CLIC afternoon?
    A. My favourite activity for the CLIC afternoon was the typing test.

A. I tought Emi how to pronounce the word subitising.

Q.What have you learnt through the netbook program so far this year?
    A. I have learnt a few key board short cuts and my favourite on is: Ctrl T to open a new tab.

Q.Do you have any other ideas for netbook activities that could be done at a future CLIC afternoon?
    A. Maybe we could show our special person how we put posts and pages up on our blogs.

Haille. :mrgreen:

Great post. I really like the slideshow it really stood out to me.

My sister Hilal came. I thought no one could come but my sister was free on Thursday.

We got through everything but Ultranet. We got stuck on the envelope question last post. Our favourite was the “oswego speed addition grid” because we got to see who was better at Maths. She was because she had more time. ๐Ÿ˜†

I was a bit nervous when I had to talk to everyone. Me Olivia and Keira were nervous because we had to talk about what we were going to do and why.

What was your favourite part of the day?

From Yunus ๐Ÿ™‚

14. Pingback: Grade Four Special Visitor Afternoon | Glogster...

15. Pingback: Celebration of Learning Afternoon | 4KJ @ Leopold Primary School