Pippi Longstocking

Mrs Morris has recently been reading 4KM and 4KJ the novel, Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren. This was one of Mrs Morris’s favourite books and movies when she was younger.

Pippi Longstocking is about a nine year old girl with superhuman strength. She lives with her monkey and horse in a cottage and gets up to all sorts of wonderful adventures with her neighbours, Tommy and Annika. Pippi loves to tell stories about her travels around the world. She is great at exaggerating, tricking adults and doing things in an unusual way.

Although this book was written in the 1940s (nearly 70 years ago) it is still fun to read today.

Leo enjoyed reading too!

While reading this book, we have been practising the comprehension CAFE strategy “make a picture or mental image”.

When readers picture what is happening in a story, they can understand and remember more of what they hear or read.

Certain details in the story help us to make this mind movie. Many 4KM and 4KJ students could imagine themselves right there as the story was unfolding. When we return to the book after a break, we can revisit the pictures in our mind to remind us what has happened.

We often need to bring our imaginations and prior knowledge to a text to complete the details and make it our own. Our mental pictures often change as we read.

Sometimes books are made into movies and the picture we had in our minds might be similar or different to the pictures we see in the movie. Here is the trailer to the Pippi Longstocking movie which was made back in 1988.

Does the movie seem similar or different to your mind picture?

What did you think about Pippi Longstocking?

What is your favourite book?

24 thoughts on “Pippi Longstocking

We loved reading your post. The book you are reading sounds very interesting. We have also been practising making a movie in our mind as we read.

Sincerely,
    Five White and Miss Azzopardi

• Dear Five White and Miss Azzopardi,

Great comment. We finished Pippi Longstocking today in it was a great book. We have a reading strategy and also a learning intention. Our intention is “Making a picture in your mind when you’re reading”.

Have you ever seen the movie?
      Have you read the full story?
      Have you seen the full series?

Kind regards,
      Mitchell (4KJ)

• Dear Mitchell,

Thank you for replying to our comment. No one in Five White has seen the movie or read the book, however Miss Azzopardi has.

Sincerely,
        Miss Azzopardi and Five White

2. Dear Mrs. Morris

I loved listening to that book I loved the part when she got the sweet from the cake but I saw the video and I thought the cake would be smaller. Anyway I loved hearing the book and I might watch the movie.

from Logan.

• Hi Logan,

Great comment. I liked the way you tried to guess what would happen in the movie. I thought that it was a great movie and that I will be watching it again soon. How about you?

I am looking forward to finding that book in the libabry and I am going to try and read it myself. It will be interesting to see if I really can.

I am also lookingnforward to watching and reading the next movie and book. I think that it will be another good one and everyone will get exited.

I was thinking that it could be the whiches by Rohal Dhal. I haven’t seenmor read that book and movie so it will be interesting for me if we do watch it.

I hope that you can get back to me soon and start a conversation.

From Olivia

I love your new post about Pippi Longstockings! I must confess, I know the book, but have never read it! I’ll have to put it on my summer reading list.

I do make pictures in my head as I’m reading. For example, we are reading a story right now about a family traveling in a covered wagon during the 1850s. Even though I’ve never done that, as I’m reading I can feel the wagon sway and I can hear the oxen and horses as they plod along. I love to make those movies in my head!

You mentioned that Pippi exaggerates a lot. Can anyone give me a favorite example?

Your pal,
    Mrs. Y♥llis
    California

• Dear Mrs Y♥llis,

Great comment. I loved listening to Mrs Morris read Pippi Lonstocking and before lunch we watched the movie of what we read.

It was a great book even though it was published in 1945 to 1948 they are still very fun to read.

In movies they are not the same as they are in the book.

From a student in 4KJ,
      Mitchell

4. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,
    What a wonderful story it was to read, the movie even better, and the post on our blog, AWESOME!

The story of Pippi Longstocking was funny but interesting because you never knew she was going to do next.

The movie was great. It was funny as well and interesting. Thanks for letting us watch the movie Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris!

My favourite chapter in Pippi longstocking was ‘Pippi celebrates her birthday’ and ‘police tag’.

The similar things and different things in the movie and the story are what I’m going to tell you now. Because 4KM and 4KJ wrote down similar things that were in the movie and different things that were in the movie compared to the story.

Here are some of 4KM and 4KJ’s differences that happened in the movie but not the story:
    . She actually wore different clothes in the movie. Not the same outfit everyday.
    . Her Dad came back to Vilakula cottage from being in a shipwreck
    . Her horse didn’t have a name in the story but did in the movie

There were so many more things but we have to get to some of the similar things!

So here are some similar things that happened in the movie and the story:
    . Pippi’s horse was the same color
    . The monkeys name was Mr. Nelsen
    . She had a monkey and a horse
    . Tommy and Anika were there
    . Pippi looked the same

Thanks for the wonderful post 4KM and 4KJ.

Got to gallop,
    Paris

• Hi Paris,

What a great comment. You are a really good blogger just like the other people in the class.

I am so happy to see you on the blog leaving really great and big comments.

I think that you did a great job of writing down the things that we were surpossed to.

Great job and keep going with the really good work.

From ♥livia

P.S Sorry this was so short I am out of time.

5. Dear 4KM and 4 KJ,
    We saw your post about Pippi Longstocking. We hear about the author and book this week when we learned about Sweden. The author is from Sweden. We saw a piece of the movie where she has many adventures. We have not read the book yet. We thought the movie parts were funny with the monkey and we found it really interesting that she lived on her own without parents. She seems to get into many adventures with her friend.
    Pippi reminds us of a girl in a book we read called Gooney Bird Greene. She likes to come to her new school dressed in different outfits and tell exaggerated stories to her classmates. She says she is from China. We pictured the country China but was surprised that it wasn’t the country but a town in America.

• Dear Mrs Todd and the Roadrunners,

Thanks so much I thought that it was very nice of you to give up some of your time to share some infomation about what you thought of this post so thank you.

It was a great book but I thought that the movie was better because it was one of the old ones so I loved it. I also thought that the book was good to because it described how she looked and where she lived.

I am looking forward to watching and reading the next movie and book. I like the sound of this so it might be interesting and even more fun.

It was great to here that you are leanring about some similar things to us and I hope that you are enjoying it like us. I think that 4KM and 4KJ had lots of fun with this and will enjoy the next movie.

I hope that you are having a great time learning and comeback to have another look at our blog to leave more great comments and share much more infomation.

From Olivia (I am in 4KJ)

• Hello Olivia,
        You do a wonderful job making comments. If you want to look at our post about Sweden you can go to brendatodd.edublogs.org

Would you like to be like Pippi and go on adventures? How about living on your own without parents? I would think that might be scary for a young girl like Pippi.
        What continent would you go on an adventure to and why if you could travel?

Mrs. Todd

• Dear Mrs Todd and the Roadrunners,

Thanks again for your reply. We have now been talking for a while and I am so happy.

Thanks also for all of the questions I will try to answer them all but I do know there is one I can’t do.

I was so exitied when we started reading the book and w read the chapter of Pippi’s birthday on my actuall birthday.

It was a wonderful book and a wonderful surprise for me.

I think that it would be really fun to go on adventures like Pippi.

I don’t think that I would like to have no parents because I know as a true fact that everybody’s mum and dad do most of the things for them.

Even though Pippi has no parents she still has lots of fun and remembers them.

If I had to have the adventures somewhere else I am not so sure where I would have them because I would like to go somewhere warm and I am not so sure where tat would be.

It was really nice of you to give me the address to your blog when I get some time.

As a class we had a quick look at your blog and I thought that it was really good and I am glad that you have one for us to then comment on.

Thanks for saying I am a great blogger and I do well with the comments.

It was really nice to catch up with you and before I do go I have some questions for you.

They are:
          What made you want to leave a comment n our blog?
          Do you like to reply to comments?

I hope that you can get back to me soon.

From ♥livia

Thank you so much Mrs Morris for a great story. 4KM and 4KJ did a great job of listerning to the story and I thought that I would hire the movie that night and watch it the next.

I thought that the book and the moviw was good because the book described how Pippi looked and where she lived. It also explained how Tommy and Anika would look but of course I thought that it was toatally different.

I am looking forward to the next book and movie and I think that it will be really good. I got a surprise when we were going to watch it but then I also got an even bigger surprise because it was my 10th birthday.

I hope that then next one will be a really good one like Pippi Longstocking and I also think that next time we watch the movie and read the book I am going to see weather it is better than Pippi Longstocking.

I am not so sure that there are many other movies that I would like to watch if I got a choice and I think that I would pick Pippi.

I am glad to here that I am now 10 and we watched Pippi on my birthday. (Yay what a surprise!) I think that it was one of the best surprise I have ever had and I so hope something similar will happen again next year.

Leo looked like he had a great time reading the book and listerning to the movie. If I was Leo then I think that I would get a big surprise.

Here is some questions for 4KM and 4KJ:
    Did you enjoy listerning to the book?
    Do you wish you could have read it yourself?
    Did you like the movie or book better?

I hope that you guys can get back to me and enjoy the next movie and book.

From your bl♥gging buddy,
    ♥livia

• Hi Livia,
      This Claudia WOW that was a big comment. Yes I did ejoy the book it was a lovely story I like he movie better but i still love the story.

I do not really care that i dident read the book in fact I rather Miss Morres becaues she dose didfrent voies and it sonds really good.

See you at school Claudia 🙂

• Hi Claudia,

Thanks for the comment it was really nice to see that someone from 4KM and 4KJ has replyed to me.

It was great to here that you liked the book and the movie but I think I liked the movie better.

The reason I like the movie better is because we got to see if the picture in our minds were the same as the movie.

Yes I do agree with you Mrs Morris did a great job at reading and changing her voice when another person talked.

Do you think that it would be cool if we got to take it in turns of reading the book to the class?

I also thought that the movie was better for another reason as well and that is: Because it was an old fasinond movie and I like them.

Thanks again for the reply and I hope that you can get back to me and start a coversation.

From your classmate ♥livia

P.S You are a really great blogger and I hope that you can keep up the good work.

7. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,
    Pippi Longstocking was a wonderful book and a great movie. ♥

Even though I’m changing the topic I would just like to say a congratulations to our 50,000 visitors! 😛

Anyway back to the topic. To be honest I loved the book but I enjoyed watching the movie a bit more, but of course the book was still great.

My favourite book is a series called ‘Horse Mad’. It would be something like- Horse Mad academy or Horse Mad hero’s etc…

The series of horse mad a wonderful books to read if your- horse mad/horse crazy! 🙂 The age for people to read this book series is probably between 8-13 or 14. It’s sort of like Pippi Longstocking even though an 8 year old might read it a 14 year old might read it!

Got to gallop,
    Paris ♥

• Dear Paris,

Like your ending!
      I cant believe we reached our milestone too!
      I wish i will get to that many on my blog. But that would take some time. But first i want to get up to 30 maybe! I only have 25 on my blog and the great thing is that is my birth date!

I would love to read those horse mad books.
      But I dont have the same schema a you. But you know my friend Teresa she would surely have the same schema as you! She has 5 horeses at her nans and 7 horses at her own home!

Best regards,
      Princess

The book is awesome but I think the movie is better.
    Also I wasn’t here for the last chapter of the book!
    My favorite part in the movie is when the little monkey
    is riding on top of the horse to the dock at the end.

What was your favorite part of the book or movie?
    Which is your favorite the book or the movie?

From Jude

• Hi Jude,

Great comment 😆
      My favourite book and the movie of it is the withches.
      But my favourite book in the world is Iggy and me it is very funny and interesting.

Genre – 9/10/teens adults can enoy it too!

Settings- there home and the swimming center.

Main characters – Iggy, Flo, Mum, Dad and Gruffles the hamster.

From blogging buddy,
      Princess

9. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

I know the story of Pippi Longstocking and the wonderful pictures in the book. Her hair style and long stockings create a wonderful mind picture as you imagine her adventures. With so many male superheroes in literature, Pippi Longstocking shows us girls can also have superpowers and love adventures.

The comprehension CAFE strategy “make a picture or mental image”.

As well as aiding comprehension, being able to create mental images helps with writing. As I write stories, I picture the events in my mind. In a way, this means rather than working out what to write, I am retelling the scenes I imagine.

Imagining the scenes can bring you even closer to the characters in your mind movie. They become part of your life and, when the story ends, you can feel sad to know your journey with them is over.

Have any of you created a mind movie then written the story?

Ross Mannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Hello Ross,
      Thanks for your fantastic comment. Pippi Longstocking is a great book. I had never heard of the book before so when Mrs Morris started reading the book I knew it was going to be a great book. My favourite chapter is Pippi’s birthday party and Pippi becomes a heroine.

I was so excited when I found out we were going to watch the movie. In the book and the movie there were a lot of similarities and differences.

In the movie I liked it when Pippi had a bath and then she made all the bubbles go everywhere. It was funny when Pippi, Tommy and Anika scrubbed the floor with brushes that were tied to there shoes. My favourite part was when Pippi, Tommy and Anika were throwing ice-cream to the children. It got very messy on the road after they had finished throwing ice-creams.

The book was awesome but the movie was much better. Astrid Lindgren is a very clever author to have come up with all the adventures that Pippi has with Tommy and Anika.

From Anneliese

• Hello Anneliese,

I think you have noticed something important in books and their movies. Sometimes a film director makes changes to the story or characters to help the movie version flow better on the screen. Providing the movie still tells the same story, some changes are okay. It can be interesting to try to spot the changes if you’ve read the book.

Pippi most certainly has an adventurous, and possibly mischievous, personality but that’s what makes her character so interesting. Some years back, I also saw the movie and found it to be fun. 🙂

Ross Mannell

10. Hi Claudia,

Can I give you a feed back really quickly?
    I think you forgot an O in your text. But thats ok.

Do you call her Livia? Because I sometimes do!

Bye,
    Princess