Pen Licences

We do writing every day as part of our two hour literacy block.

Part of being a good writer is making sure that others can read our writing easily. Having neat handwriting is important and we are always working on our writing in class.

We use Victorian Modern Cursive joined writing. To improve our joined handwriting, we aim to do one formal handwriting lesson each week. We use this time to practise our joined handwriting, while Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan give us feedback. Joined handwriting is sometimes challenging, especially when you first learn, so it requires a lot of practise.

Click here to view the Victorian Modern Cursive joined writing that we learn.

Each week we do a variety of writing lessons with different learning focuses. We balance our handwriting lessons with writing activities on our netbooks. It is important to write well and type well.

In Grade Four, students are eligible to earn a pen licence. Once a student has their pen licence, they can do all of their writing with a pen. They receive a certificate and a licence card. To get their pen licence, students need to consistently demonstrate:

• That they can form all letters of the alphabet correctly
  • Neat joined handwriting at all times
  • Good posture at their tables and a comfortable pencil grip
  • An excellent attitude towards writing.

There are eight students in 4KM and 4KJ who have already received a pen licence! Congratulations!

Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan are looking forward to handing out more pen licences throughout the year!

What writing activities do you enjoy?

What are you working on with your handwriting?

Do you have any advice for students who want to get their pen licence?

26 thoughts on “Pen Licences

1. Dare 4KM and 4KJ,

Well done to the students that got there pen licence. I wish I got my pen licence too but I might get my pen licence.

Bye for now

Heather

• Dear Alisha,

Nice commenting. I like Pen Licences because you get to write with Pen whenever you want and I love writing in pen.

I hope that you get yours soon and have lots of fun when you do.

From Olivia (Liv)

• Hi Olivia,
          Thank you I hope you
          Get your pen licence
          Thank you for replying 🙂

And yes it would be fun
          To have a pen licence
          😆 good Luke

From Alisha,

• Hi Heather,

Great comment for the blog. I don’t have my Pen Licence yet but I am really looking forward to it and I have been practicing.

I think that you will get yours soon because you have really neat handwriting. I can’t wait till I get mine as I said before but I think that it will be soon for me and most other people in our grade.

Talk to you soon.

From your classmate Olivia

2. Dear 4KM and 4KJ

Great post I enjoy the literacy block and righting in
    Jarnup. I’m working on my jarnuy righting for my pen lisens.

seya sone
    Jack :mrgreen: 🙂

• Hi Jack,

It is great to see you commenting on the blog. I hope that you and the people who don’t have their pen licence yet get them soon. (I don’t have mine yet but I think it will be soon.)

I am looking forward to getting mine so that I can write with pen and have lots of fun like the students who have their’s now.

From Olivia

I am working on with my handwriting trying to not do small letters up to the big top line.

Also to do neat joined handwriting.

Sincerely

Jacob

• Dear Jacob,

It is great to see you on the blog and saying what you need to work on.

I think that I am working on the same goals as you and it is really fun to try and achieve them.

I will catch up with you soon and see you in class working on your goals and trying your hardest.

From Olivia

4. Hi 4km and 4kj,

I love the post well done to all thous kids. My writhing activities I enjoy is when we do weekend writhing not on our net book I like to right on paper.

from Claudia

• Hi Claudia,

I like the same as you writing out our handwriting on a piece of paper. It is fun and you can learn how to write propley.

I don’t have my pen licence yet but I think it will come to me soon.

I am having lots of fun and it will be much more when I have mine.

From Olivia

5. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,
    My Favorited writing
    lesson is doing our join up
    because it is fun to join up 🙂
    it is good to learn to join up
    very neat so then every one
    can tell what you are writing 8O.

I love to join up but i’m not that
    good at it 🙁 but ill get better 🙂

from Alisha,:)

PS great job Haille,Michell,Kiera,Logen M,Princess,Paris,Ava and Millie

• Hi Alisha,

Great comment and I like the way you have used lots of different ways that you like joined up writing.

I don’t have mine yet either but I think that I am improving a lot and will have my Pen Licence very soon.

Do you know what I thought was really nice of you? (you don’t but read on) how you said great job to the people who do have their pen licence.

From Olivia

P.S Great game of netball the other night. (I hope you use the advice I gave you).

• Hi Olivia
        Thank you for
        The reply again
        I hope you get your pen licence
        And your a great commenter
        You now when there are new post on the blog it is fantastic 🙂

6. Dear 4KM and 4KJ

Conngrations Princess, Paris, Ava and Millie in 4KJ

at getting pen licent’s at school.

I am also trying to get pen licen’s to.

from Andrew

• Hi Andrew,

Great comment. It is great to see you on the blog and you have used lots of space’s inbeetween you writing.

I am the same as you: I don’t have my Pen Licence yet but I think that most of the people i our grade willget them soon.

I hope that you also get yours and have lots of fu withit just like I think you will.

From Olivia

7. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

Great post!

I can’t believe that I earn’t my pen license yesterday. I was surprised because I didn’t think that my join up writing is neat.

The writing activities that I enjoy are holiday writing and learning each letter for join up writing.

What I’m working on with my writing is
    taking my time and making the writing a bit more neater.

Yes, I do have some advise for students to learn their pen license and that is to take your time and don’t rush, hold the pen properly, sit properly, have a steady hand and just foccus.

Ava

• Dear Ava,

Thanks for the comment and the advice. I wilk try and do all of that next time we do handwriting so that I can earn mine to.

I like handwriting as well but my favourite thing to do is Literacy Block. I think that your handwriting was neat and Miss Jordan was right when she said you have really neat writing.

I amlooking fxorward to getting mine and I hope that, that is going to be soon so I can have fun with it and learn how to get even better.

What do you like the most about having your Pen Licence?
      Who do you hope gets their’s next?
      Will you use pen a lot?

From Olivia ♥

• Hi Ava,
      I think you were definitely going to get your pen licences because I think you writing is neat!

The tips you gave out to people were correct and luckily I could do those things so that’s why I earn’t my ‘pen licence’.

What I’m working on is trying to have a steady hand and don’t press so hard.

Got to gallop,
      Paris ♥

8. Pingback: My Term 2 Learning Goals | Meg's Blog

I love that post it is a great post about pen licences.

I was so happy when I got my pen licenes. I was saying to Mia I so not going to get it. Mrs Morris said my name and I was like OMG! 😆

I enjoy all handwriting activities.

I have some advice for the other kids who want to get there licence., is to practise at home and not just do neat joined writing when you are doing handwriting. Do it all the time.

Keira in 4KM.

Well done to those students that have practised their joined handwriting skills and earned their pen licence.

I practise my handwriting every weekend when I have nothing to do and sit on my bed for an hour doing it.

I find it fun because I write story that just come into my head. I think for a bit then write it down on a couple pieces and stick them together.

from your blogging buddy Rochelle

11. Hi everybody,
    I am Christine and I am from Sacred Heart Primary School. I have been looking at your blog and it is really good maybe you should visit our blog one day.

We have pen licences as well at our school and I am hoping I get mine before grade 5.

From your blogging buddy Christine 🙂 😀

12. Hi everyone,
    I am Gabriella I am from Sacred Heart school
    I would really like to have a pen lines.
    Your blog is cool you sould try to go on ow blog.

Does any one eles who deos not
    have a pen lines
    From gabriella!

13. Hi everybody,
    I am Hayat and i am from Sacred Heart
    Primary School.Your blog is a amazing maybe
    you can visit our School blog one day.
    At our School you can get pen licence in grade 4, 5 or 6 and nobody has got them. I hope to get mine
    first.

Our school blog site is http://www.34mblog.global2.vic.edu.au.

Have you got your pen licence yet?

From your blogging buddy

Hayat.

14. Dear 4KM and 4KL,
    We are 2/3B from Wanniassa School in Canberra, ACT. We have been looking at your awesome blog.
    We enjoy lots of writing activities, especially, persuasive writing, spelling activities, punctuation practice, contractions, narrative writing and of course writing about ourselves!
    We don’t have pen licenses in Year 2 or 3 but we can try for them in Year 4.
    In handwriting at the moment the Year 3s in our class we are starting to work on cursive writing. It is easy for some of us and hard for some of us too!
    2/3B