4 Pics 1 Word

Thanks to our friends in Mrs Phillips’s class for the inspiration for this lesson and post!

4 Pics 1 Word is a popular app available for iDevices. The game involves solving word puzzles. Each puzzle contains four pictures that have something in common. You have to guess what the common word is.

Here is an example:

I’m sure you can guess that the answer to the puzzle above is SIGN. The pictures show the verb (doing word), sign and the noun (name of thing), sign.

4 Pics 1 Word can help us improve our spelling, logical reasoning and vocabulary.

4 Pics 1 Word often uses homonyms. These are words that are spelt the same, sound the same but have different meanings.

For example, the word bat is a homonym. This can be an animal (noun), a thing used for hitting in sport (noun), or a verb (eg. it was his turn to bat next in the cricket match).

***

The students in 4KM and 4KJ created their own 4 Pics 1 Word puzzles for you.

They used Microsoft Word and learnt skills such as:

• sourcing Creative Commons images and using attributions (or using clip art)
  • setting transparent colour
  • spacing and aligning objects well
  • formatting text, images, text boxes and shapes

Can you guess the answers to these puzzles?

Leave a comment with your answer. Don’t forget to say which student’s puzzle you’re solving!

Do you play 4 Pics 1 Word? What do you like about it?

55 thoughts on “4 Pics 1 Word

1. Dear 4KM 4KJ,

The answer to Paris’s 4 pics one word is hold i hope that is the right answer.

bye for know,

From Logan,p.

• Dear Logan P,

Great comment. I liked Paris’s one and all of the restthat got put on the blog. Mine didn’t make it to the blog but thats OK because I got my comic about Internet safty on there.

I liked Shayla’s picyures because they all had a real meaning to them. If I got mine on there it would be cool to see someone try to guess what I had but it was pretty easy I must say. I had to change mine because I couldn’t find a picture on any of the website so I looked at all ofthe other ideas I thought of that had six letters in there and I found one.

From Olivia

I really like this blog post.:lol:

The answer to Ryley H’s 4 pics 1 word is bat.
    Yes I do play 4 pics 1 word, I play it on my IPod touch.

Logan M

• Dear Logan M,

Great comment. I liked doing 4 Pics one Word because I had never seen it before.

When I got home i downloaded it and I also showed my Mum,Dad and my little brother Aiden. They thought it was a great way to learn and I play it on Saturday and Sunday. I am on level 30 and i just can’t get past it because by the looks of things it dosen’t make any sense to me but it does to my brother.

I have to go now but I will keep checking to see if you leave a reply.

From Olivia

3. Dear 4KM 4KJ,

The answer to Annelise’s 4 picks one word is hang
    I well i think it is that although i hope it is right.

Bye for know.
    Logan,P.

• Hi again Logan P,

You are doing good with your comments. You have got the right answer Anneliese’s and all of the other ones you tried to guess.

I like the way you are trying to have a go at what they are.

I am trying to figure out Yunus’s and it is so hard he has got me on that one. He won’t even give us the answer when we tryed to guess it on the floor this morning and if you ask me someone will get it very soon I just know they will.

by for now,
      Olivia

• Dear Mitchell’s,

Great comment by using the 2 of you. As there is the saying “Two heads are better than one.”

You have both of the answers right and you two took great guess’s. I would love to leave a much better comment and a longer one but we have to pack up so see you later.

From Olivia

• Dear Sophie,

Great comment. I think you left a really good comment and I enjoyed reading it.

I think you have the right answer to Ryley H’s and I will have a look now… Yes you are right Sophie and is it Ok if I have a guess at yours? Well I will anyway. Is yours “Wave?” the reason I thought that was because there was someone on a surf borad riding a wave then there were two people actually waving and for your last picture there was a flag waving at some type of race.

I thought that your 4Pics one word was good and so was your comment.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Olivia

• Dear Olivia,

Thanks for replying to me and yes my 4 Pics 1 word is “wave”

Can you tell me what yours is?
        From your classmate,
        Sophie :mrgreen: 😀

• Hi Sophie,

Thanks for your reply. yes I thought yours was that because it was pretty easy but I still liked it.

My 4 Pics one word is not up there but that’s Ok because we can still talk though comments.

My 4 Pics one word is sports just like somebody else’s but I won’t tell you who because it will give it away.

I also thought this was a really fun game for you to learn and use different things you haven’t used before.

I would love to see another post like this and I would also like to do it again.

I have to go now but be back soon.

From Olivia

Wow what a great post.

I think Harry’s is arrow.

I think Lee’s is train.

I think Longan P’s is light

I’m not sure about Mitchell’s.
    I can’t tell you mine of course.

I think Mia’s is also light.

I not sure about Paris’s either.

I think Anneliese’s is line.

Logan M’s is trip.

Meg’s is circle.
    Hallie’s is Light.

I don’t know what Molly’s is.

Jesse’s is measurement.

I’m out of time.

Liam

• Dear Liam,
      If you want to know what mine is you have to have a really close look at the people and what there doing. Your lucky that you get a hint!♥

I think Lee’s is TRAIN as well!

Sorry about the short comment!

Paris

• Hi Paris,

I think you leave really good comments all of the time weather they are short or long.

It is a very nice way to give Liam a tip for your 4 pics one word and if I were him and I didn’t know it (Witch I do) then I would be giving you a big thank you and I would also be going back onto the blog to have another crck at it.

Would love to stay but I have lots more to reply to (Not that I have to but I want to just like when Saint Nicohlas gives us all our presents.)

From your friend Olivia 🙂 😀 (Heart)

• Dear Liam,

No, measurement is not my answer but it was close. The letter has 4 letters not 11.

I recon Annelise’s is hang

Logan M’s is trip

Meg’s is round

Hallie’s light

And Molly’s dress

Try again,

Jesse

• Dear Jesse,

I am sorry about what happended with the other comment. I clicked enter to go down to the next bit but instead it submited the comment and it has never done that before.

You lefta great comment and the same like Paris by telling Liam that it wasn’t 11 letters long. I have a question for you and it is you said to Liam that yours is not 11 letters long and it is 4 but it says 5 on the 4 Pics one word?

i would love a reply from you because I have asked you a question. if you normally get home and read a book or play a video game don’t give up that time to leave a reply to me because after school you always have to read and I know that playing video games can be lots of fun so only if you want to then give up that time to give me and whoever else leaves you a reply the time of fun to reply to me.

It would also be great to see you trying to guess all of the other ones you didn’t get time for but I’m not saying “Give up your time now to try to guess them.”

Have fun trying to get the rest if you are going to guess them and keep up the hard work.

From Olivia (4KJ) 🙂 🙂 :0 😀 😀 😀 😮

• Hi Liam,

What a wonderful and interesting comment. I had a quick read over some of your answers and I don’t know any of the answers from 4KM but I will soon find out.

there was one thing I just want to tell you about Anneliese’s answer that it wasn’t what you said it was but that is Ok that you made a mistake because when I first looka t it I tought that it was the same as what you’ve said.

I can’t wait for when you have a next shot at going on the blog because that was one of the best comments I have ever seen 1 because you used paragrahs,Then because you have made it nice and clear witch is a good way for people to read it.

I would love it if you have time when you are at home or during reading groups for you to try and guess more and so that you can leave a reply or make a continued comment.

I would love a reply from you but I also like the way you have had a go at trying all of the ones you had time for.

Love to see you guessing more and see you a guessing the ones you didn’t get time for.

Once again great comment,

From Olivia (heart)

5. Hello,

It looks like Liam (previous comment) is all over it! I agreed with Liam on a lot of the answers and I have a feeling that Mitchell’s is Match. I think this is a great idea for you to create your own 4 pics and one word puzzle. You guys have a great blog and we will keep coming back to see what else you have been up to. Feel free to visit our classroom blog (although it is fairly new) we are still learning how we can get the most out of it.

From SGD http://oneclass.global2.vic.edu.au

• Dear Mr Darma,

I am Keira from 4KM for this year in 2013.

Well you did get Mitchel’s 4 pics 1 word Match.

My family has 4 pics 1 word on the ipad, iphones and a ipod.

It would be great if you could keep visting our blog.

From your new blogging buddy,
      Keira in 4KM. 😆

• Dear Mr Darma,

Thank you so much for your comment on our blog. I love it when people leave a coment on our blog because it just makes me exited.

I thought this post was cool and I have never heard of 4 Pics one word before and now that I have I went home and downloaded the app.

I played it with my brother and he thought it was really fun and a good way for people to learn because you have to try and guess what the word is.

I have to go now but I will be back to see if I have a reply. (I would love one if you have time ther wise don’t worry.)

From Olivia (4KJ)

6. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,
    Great post, I think Meg’s is circle or round, Haille’s is light but I’m not sure what Sophie’s is!

It seems that not really anyone know’s what mine is. You have to look carefully at the people and what there doing♥.

Paris

• Hi Paris,

You got mine right I knew you would. By the way I think yours is “Hold” am I right. Mine was “Round” not circle. It doesn’t matter because you did say both.

Yes, I think Hallie’s is “Light” too, I think Sophie’s is “Wave”. Don’t you think? You will probably notice if you see it again.

Paris I think yours is “Hold” am I right. It was great how every bodies 4 Pics 1 Word were not too hard or not too easy just right, Don’t you agree.

When I looked at your I saw that the people were holding the things. One picture gave it away to me it was the picture of the people holding hands at the beach.

I loved you 4 Pics 1 Word!
      Happy blogging and keep up the good work.

Best Wishes,
      Meg 😀 😉

7. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

I think this is a really good post about the activity we did on 4 Pics 1 Word. By the way that was really fun and I think a few people got mine.

I play 4 Pics 1 Word on my iPod, but I don’t get to most of the time because I am a bit too busy.

I think all of the 4 Pics 1 Word were excellent, not too hard or not too easy. Some of them were just a bit tricky and some a bit easy but that doesn’t matter.

I think Paris’s is “Hold” and I think Mia’s is “Pole”.

I am not sure what I like about 4 Pics 1 Word but I am just going to say, it gives some people a challenge, so it is a good time to think. It helps me alot.

Best Regards,
    Meg 😆 😀 :mrgreen: 😉

• To Meg,

Fantastic comment.

I love playing 4 pics 1 word too.

I think I am pretty good at.

Are you stuck on a level?

I am!

Harry :mrgreen:

• Dear Harry,

Yes I am stuck on a level but I forgot wich one it was. Oh well.

Yes Harry, I bet you are good at it.

Do you have an idea of what mine would be? I know yours is “Arrow” Am I right?

Do you think that all the other 4 Pics 1 Word were great? I think they were!

Do think it is fun playing 4 Pics 1 Word or is it super dooper fun to play?
        That is something for you to answer.

Happy Blogging,
        Meg :mrgreen: 🙂

• Dear Meg,

Wow, What was a great comment.

I think the 4 Pics 1 One word was a good post to!
      It gets me thinking on some of them. I think we have all done a great job on the 4 Pics 1 One word. I though it was a lot of fun.

From Jess

8. Hi 4km and 4kj,

This is a grate post because people can guess it and they can look at them.

I think shayla’s is match and meg’s is round every one did a good job, they all look loveley.

Your class mate
    Claudia

• Hi,

Thank you for the great comment!

Shayla’s and Meg’s are really nice and creative. I think.

Every ones 4 pics 1 word that is on the slide show are very pretty and crafty.

Good Bye,
      From Jordi 😛

9. Hi 4km & 4kj,

I loved being introduced to this game on my phone thanks to you & Claudia. I now play it all the time when i can get my phone out of Claudia’s hand. I think that Yunnis’s word is Label? Am i right?
    Best wishes Claudias mum 🙂

• Hello Sarah,

Yes mine is Label.
      Can you figure out what Sophies is?
      Can you figure out what Logan M is?

From Yunus 😆 🙄 🙂

10. Hi its me Kyle

i’v been scrolling down until i found this
    i don’t know if i’m write but i think Ryley.Hs got
    bat
    bye 4km 😉 😯

11. Dear 4Km and 4KJ,

I think Molly’s 4 pics 1 word is Dress.

I love the game 4 pics 1 word it is so fun.

Keira. 😆

• Hi Tess,

great comment!

I think 4 pics 1 word was a great lesson. I think Leigh’s 4 pic 1 word is train aswell.

It gives some people a challenge, so it is a good time to think. It helps me alot.
      Do you have 4 pics 1 word on your phone?

From Mitchell B (4KM)

Wow! I really love this game, i can’t stop playing it. Your class did an excellent job of making these. They look just like the game. They are even tricky like the game using words that have different purposes. I was looking at Mia’s, I think the answer is POLE??? I really love it!

13. Dear 4KM 4KJ

I am also happy to be at school.
    I think school is fun i also think your blog is cool.

My favorite part of the blog is the 1 word 4 pics

From Ermin

I think your 4 pics 1 word is fun but challenging.

I could only solve the 1st and 3rd pics.i don’t know the rest.

It is very hard to do.can you help me?
    Fram Andrew

15. Dear 4km and 4kj
    I really like the 4 pics 1 word.
    It is very intresting and I love to play it.
    You are very clever to have made it.

I hope you like my comment!
    Best wishers
    Maria

16. Dear 4KM and 4KJ
    You have very intelligent people in your school all of these are unique and have alot of effort and thinking i also play this game, even though im still stuck on leval 5!. To answer Logans one i think it is ‘trip’ i hope i am correct.
    Do you have a favourite 4KM and 4KJ?
    From Ethan

17. dear 4KM and 4KJ,
    I love your 4 pics 1 word! I think it is cool that you made your own. I love that game.Was it fun to make? I would like to make my own . Maybe I will ask my teacher.
    from Erna
    p.s your blog is great!

18. dear 4km and 4kj

i like the 4 work one pic my mum play’s it and my mum is at level 3502 or higher

ps. i hope you like my comment.

from monique

19. Dear Paris,

I like the picture 4 pics one word.
    I like all four picture’s they are very intresting.

My favourite part of the 4 pic’s 1 word is the hand with shopping bag’s oooon it because I love shopping.
    From:Kayla

20. Dear 4km and 4kj

I really like the 4 pics 1 word, I think that was really creative and makes it challenging for people.
    The best thing about it was how you created and designed it.
    what was your best thing about it?

21. Dear Sophie,

I really like your 4 pics one word.It was very intresting it gets your brain thinking.

My favourite part was the race one.

From Natalia

22. Hi Harry
    My names Ashleigh from holmwood public school. I think i guessed yours, is it an arrow. If you would like to visit our blog at any time go to Mrs Lewis’s 4/5/6 class blog. Maybe you could guess one of our 4 pics 1 word.

23. Hello,4KM and 4KJ
    Hi I am Hayley.
    I love your ‘4 pics 1 word’s’. My school Holmwood Public school,also did 4 pics 1 word and loved it.Would you like to visit our blog anytime at 4/5/6 Mrs Lewis class blog,THANKS

From Hayley!

24. Hi I like the trip 4 pics one word.Come onto our blog wich is called 4/5/6 blog and we have some 4 pics one words to

25. Hi evryone my name is Claire I relly like your 4 pics one word you shoud come on to our blog sometime on Mrs Lewis 4/5/6 class blog
    from Claire