Internet Safety Comics

The students in 4KM and 4KJ have spent a lot of time this term learning about being safe online.

We were involved in a webinar on Safer Internet Day and have completed some great activities about digital footprints, strong passwords and internet safety.

Having a class blog is a terrific way to learn about appropriate online behaviour and “netiquette”. We have blog guidelines which we all follow to make sure we are being safe while blogging.

Today we watched this fun Garfield cartoon about online safety. Just click on the image below to watch it yourself.

There was an important message in the video about remembering the acronym YAPPY.

YAPPY are the personal details that you should not reveal on public spaces online.

YAPPY stands for:

Y – YOUR NAME
A – ADDRESS
P – PASSWORD
P – PHONE NUMBER
Y – YOUR PLANS

The video also reminded us that we should not meet people we connect with over the internet in real life.

***

The students got creative with the website Make Beliefs Comix to demonstrate their understanding of internet safety and YAPPY.

Make Beliefs Comix allows you to make a comic with two, three or four panels. You can chose from a range of characters, backgrounds, objects, speech bubbles and thought balloons etc. This site is free and doesn’t require you to sign up.

Here are some of the comics that the students produced.

If you want to see the comics in a larger format, click here. 

What do you think of the students’ comics?

Have you tried Make Beliefs Comix? How did you find it?

What are your tips for being safe online?

42 thoughts on “Internet Safety Comics

1. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

Great post!
    All the comics look fantastic on the blog and I thought making comics was fun I would like to make them again soon.I liked changing the background and choosing the comic characters that was the best bit!
    What was your favourite thing about making the comics?
    Did you enjoy making them?
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Eden

• Hey Eden,
      I think the comic’s were awesome♥&hearts♥. It would be really hard to pick a favorite because I like them all!♥

I like choosing the expression of the face of your character!:) ♥

Of course I loved making the comic’s and I was even lucky enough to get mine on the blog! I was so happy about that, and enjoyed looking at all the comic’s.

Next time we should even do a gallery walk! Now that would be cool, being able to look at all the comic’s!♥

I heard Ava and Ms Jordan talking and apparently Ava’s came up with numbers!♥

There are a few questions:
      I didn’t see but did your’s make it to the blog?
      Did you like doing the Tagxedo or the comic’s better?
      Was the comic’s the best thing you did for the day?

There are the questions! Feel free to only answer 1 you don’t have to answer them all♥.

The comic’s were my favorite thing of the day! They were so joyful and fun to make! And some people who look at the blog would maybe even learn a lesson, you never know…

Please write back,
      Paris

• Hi Paris,

Thanks for replying ♥
        I liked doing both Tagxedo and the Comix.Yes mine is on the blog.

Doing the comix was the best part of the day for me.I was looking at yours last night it looked fantastic so did everyone else’s.
        I liked how nearly everyone did a background it really stands out 😆 And I agree with you about the gallery walk.
        That would be so awesome!
        I am happy that yours is on the blog as well.
        Hope to see you soon :mrgreen: 😎 😆
        Eden :mrgreen:

• Hi Eden,
          Thanks for the reply, it was really nice.

I liked doing them both as well. Oh and by the way thanks for answering my questions!:D

I agree that the backgrounds made the pictures stand out!♥

Bye,
          Paris

• Hi Eden,

Great comment. 🙂

My favourite thing was getting the people to go into the right place and not slip somewhere else or something like that. 😀 I thought it was a cool thing to make and I hope we do it again soon. I thought that all of the people were cool and I didn’t know you could still have the same person but use the arrows to change the look. I also think that all of them look good and the same as Paris it would be hard to pick a favourite because all of you put so much effort into them and they came out to look amazing and surprize me. For the background lots of people choose the same because most of my friends always use all of the bright colours and not the dul ones like the grey and white. I had lots of fun making them and will do it again really soon.

From Olivia

2. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

I could see all the messages in the cartoons. My favourite message is You never know who they are like the girl said that she was so exited that JUSTEN BEIBER just E-mailed her! Why would JUSTEN BEIBER send a Hometown girl a E-mail? ( By Shayla). Well I don’t think so unless it was for charity and sent her a letter.

Anyway my message I wrote about was the same as up there I would not EVER think that ONE DIRETiON would send me an E-mail, would you?

Sincerely,

Charlotte 😆

• Dear Charlotte,

Thanks for the great comment.

I don’t think you would get E-mailed by One Direction because they would be too busy touring around the world. But you never know you they just might E-mail you but remember they might try to trick you so beware.

From your classmate,
      Li♣m 👿 😈 😆

• To Charlotte,
      i was happy when you said you liked my comic.I did not spell beiber right but thats ok.I should said that one D emaild page. You could put pets in it there was very funny people there was so much to chose from.There were backrounds aswell.

If you did a comic what would you do it about?

from shayla

Our computer class does internet saftey too. We use the Garfield games and also the NetSmartzKids. I learned lots about the internet saftey games and now I know NEVER to give my information on the internet. If I hadn’t heard of the internet saftey games, I would be in lots of trouble. I have never done internet saftey comics though. Did you have fun doing the comics? What other internet saftey game would you do? This is our sqworl of internet safety sites. http://sqworl.com/fmtdh2

Your Friend,
    Sophia
    Techie Kids

4. Dear 4km and 4kj,

You learned about safer internet day? That is so cool! I did too! 🙂 I remember learning about internet safety, and it was REALLY fun. We didn’t make any comics, though. I love the ones that you guys made! 😉
    Sincerely,
    Anikka from Techie Kids

I think that your video was very cool. I read almost all of them and they were all good facts about how you should be safe. At my school in the beginning of the year everyone learns how to be safe on the internet and how to respond to things the right way. It’s kind of fun to look at all the comics when they’re teaching you things and it’s also fun when they are moving around.

Lauryn,
    Techie Kids

• @Lauryn,

Thank you for your comment.
      My Comic was on the blog, It was the first comic.

It was very fun. Have you tried it yet?

Amelie

I have remembered heaps of things that we’re meant to do for internet safety.Some of those ones are really
    important because if their so in important why did we learn them?

Sincerely,

Jesse

7. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

Awesome post! I thought that the Professor Garfield cartoon was Educational and funny!

Thanks for putting my comic on the post.
    I will show my mum when I get home.

😎 Kind Regards 😎
    8) Leigh 8)

I loved making my own comix. It was a great blog post to put up I also liked all of the comix there were comix that really stand out. They were great. I didn’t really get to make mine because the internet was really slow which is really annoying. I got most of it done.

From your student Mitchell C.

What a great post.

I loved doing the comix activity.

I also see my comix is in the slideshow.

What was your favourite part about the comix ❓

What was your topic ❓

Li♣m 😆 👿 😈

• Hi Liam,

Thanks for the comment!

My favourite part of the comic we did was everything we did to make the comics.
      What was yours?

My topic was “Emailing someone you don’t know.”

What made you chose your topic?

Jordi

• Dear Jordi,

Thank you for the replay.

My topic was about not “giving out your phone number”. I thought it would be a good one since nobody did the same thing.

My favourite part was making my script on Word.

Wow that was a lot of fun.

Li♣m 👿 😈 😆

• Hey Liam,
      great comment.

I♥ved the comic activity as well 😀 ♥! It was really fun and entertained you a lot, although it took a while to load. 😀

I was lucky enough as well to get my comic on the blog! I was really happy about that!

P♥ris

• Hello Liam,
      That was a great thing to say
      and my favorite part was putting the back
      round in what was your favorite part 8)

from Alisha

• Hello Liam,
      That was very good comment
      and my favorite part was downing the back round it was cool because you got to chose the colour it was fun

from Alisha

I really like this blog post. :lol:.
    I loved every ones comics because they all teach you about cyber safety. 😎
    My tips for being safe online are to not put personal information online.
    Warm regards,
    Logan M

• @ Logan,:lol:

I really liked Darcy’s comix I reckon because his really stood out to me. Who do you think was the best and why?

From Yunus 😆 😆

11. dear 4KM/4KJ
    I loved the comics that the teachers[mrs Morris and miss Jordan] put up on the blog. they are so awesome.

I liked the ones that Amelia,Ava and Ebony.

From Mitchell s 4KJ

• Hi,

What a great Comment!

Those 3 girls are really creative.
      I absolutely love their comics they
      made.

Jordi

😛

12. To everyone,
    i loved all of the comics they were all so good.My favourites were
    .molly stands out
    .hallie and rochelles
    .laim lots of talking
    .jess colourful
    .shaun
    .paris
    .ava

from shayla

• Hi Shayla,

One of your favourite comics was my absolute favourite ❗
      That one was Ava’s, I liked it because it was big and clear and the characters really stood out.

I loved a lot more but it is a long list so I will tell you just some.

I really liked yours and Millie’s, I liked yours because the people didn’t always have the same expresion and I liked Millie’s because in most boxes there wasn’t the same characters like what a lot of people had.

See You,
      Haille 😯 😡

• Hi Shayla,
      Thanks for the great comment, And also thanks for liking my comic!♥

I really liked them all know favorite really!&hearts but Ava’s was pretty good!

Paris 😀 😀 😀 😀

• Hi Paris,

Ava’s was pretty good, like I said hers was one of my favourites.

You know that your comic was one on my list of favourite comics. 😆

Bye For Now,
        Haille 😈

13. Dear 4KM and 4KJ

i have been reading comics for a long time

i love it
    anyway what is your fave comic?

i love everyone comics

• Hi Kyle,

What a great comment!

I loved every comic but the ones I really liked were Paris, Ava’s, Jess and Rochelle’s and Haille’s. They were really nice.

I don’t really read comics much, but when I do it is interesting.

Jordi

• Hi Kyle,
      Good comment!♥

I like everyone’s comics as well but Ava’s is a stand out to me!&hearts.

Sorry about the short comment!,
      Paris

14. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,
    Great and interesting post!♥

The comic’s were my favorite thing we did for the day, even though it took a while to load!♥ They were so fun and great to make and someone might even become someone that writes comic’s in news papers!

The slide show was great fun to watch and I loved reading all the cool comics!♥

I tried to get on it at home but it took a while to load… Anyway it was still really fun at school to make.
    I’m so happy that mine made it to the blog loads of people will probably be looking at it!♥

Paris♥♥ 😀

15. Dear 4KM and 4KJ’

what a great post I loved doing the comics they were great I don’t know how you finger out all these fun things but it’s cool.

I loved the comics that we did yesterday they were cool I got mien finished but then it dident email to Mrs Jordan and then it deleted and I had to do it again but it was still really fun.

any way I dident care because it dident take me long to do and then on my next one I changed It a little bit and then It looked diffident but it dident take me long to do the next one.

when I finished the next one it worked and it dident delete this time and that is lucky because my other one dident work so I’m happy about that and I think mien was really good because it was decorated and had lots of writing in it.

see
    you
    later
    Connor:)

16. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

You have all done a great job with your comics.
    It is good to see you are learning about the importance of safety on the internet.
    Keep up the good work.
    From Lorelle (Edens mum)

• Hi Lorelle,
      Thanks for the great comment!♥

I’m so glad that my comic made it to the blog! I’m pretty sure that it’s the second one!♥. If not, it says the names on the top so you can have a look. That’s if you want to have a look!

Paris

• Hi Mum,

Thank you for commenting on the post!
      Yes I think we have done a great job with our comics.
      And I also think that it is important to learn about internet safety.And of course we will keep up the good work!
      Great first comment.
      Eden

17. Dear 4KJ and 4KM,

YAPPY is an excellent acronym (word formed from initials). It is easy to remember and carries an important message.

Your comics carry the YAPPY message very well.

Even adults can sometimes give away their passwords if not careful. No one knows any of my passwords except me. They all involve letters and numbers. The most important also include symbols. For example….

#5!2%ur$5 …would be a very hard password to crack but it might be hard to remember. We need passwords we can remember although I would find it easier to remember this one if it were one of my passwords because it means something to me. I do have a strange mind though.

Here is one way you might make a more secure password you can remember.

Start with a word of at least eight letters you can remember. Let’s use remember.

Now choose a symbol from those above the numbers on your keyboard. Let’s say I choose $ above number 4.

What I now do is change regular letters, say every 3rd or 4th, into the symbol. The password now looks like this…

re$em$er

Now add your favourite number after each symbol, let’s say 7. The password is now…

re$7em$7er

The password might not be quite as strong as my first example but, providing you remember your base word, symbol and favourite number, it’s much harder than simply using the word remember.

TOO HARD? – Try writing a word in reverse then adding a number. gnoleeg2013 is harder to crack than geelong2013 but it isn’t as strong without also using symbols.

It’s also safer not to use the same password for everything. If someone guesses one, they will have all. I have many passwords.

By the way, I do know of people who had password as their password until I warned them how easy it was to break. 🙂

@RossMannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Hi Ross Mannell,

Thanks for the great comment!
      My name is Ava I’m a student in 4KJ.

I love your great password tips. I’ve also got one.

For a password you could also use you favourite rhyme like Jack and Jill went up the hill. You could take all those letters at the start of each word and put into something like this. JAJWUTH. You could also put some symbols like your idea and your favourite numbers number. So it’s like 23J@A@J@W@U@T@H23 and there is another secure password.

Thanks again for sharing your password tips with.

Ava :mrgreen:

• Hi Ava,

Your password tip is a good one. The second using letters, numbers and symbols makes it very hard for password cracking software to find the password. As long as we remember our base word and symbol, your method would be very secure. 🙂

@RossMannell

18. Dear 4KM & 4KJ
    What a lot of important and informative information is contained in your blog post! I love your comic strips, some of them made me laugh and I thought that they all gave out important messages that we should all take notice of. I am certainly going to have a go at Makebelief Comix with my class – they’re great!
    Your friend,
    Mrs Monaghan

19. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,
    Great post, I can’t wait to see the next one!♥

The comic’s were so cool and I made one at home! I was really excited about that I got my comic on the blog!♥

I did mine about a strong password, and that you should never give away your password.

P♥ris