Reading Strategy: Tune in to Interesting Words

Reading is a big part of our day in 4KM and 4KJ.

We use the CAFE model in our Literacy Block every day. Each week we focus on a different CAFE reading strategy in class. CAFE is an acronym for Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency and Expand vocabulary. All of these areas of reading are extremely important and good readers know they need to read regularly to improve their skills.

Last week our reading strategy was Tune Into Interesting Words. This strategy is part of the expand vocabulary area of reading. Good readers have a great vocabulary, which means they know and understand the meaning of lots of different words.

Tune in to interesting words means you stop and think about words that are new, different or unusual while you read.

Knowing what these words mean helps you in all areas of literacy, as it improves your comprehension while reading andΒ you can use the interesting words in your writing. Understanding interesting words also helps you with your speaking and listening.

Miss Jordan looked through some books on her bookshelf at home and found lots of interesting words. She used Tagxedo to create a word cloud to share the words.

We would love to know what words you have come across when reading. Submit an interesting word you have noticed during reading into our AnswerGarden below.

What interesting words do you know?

Can you write us a blog comment including lots of interesting vocabulary?

What is your favourite reading strategy?

40 thoughts on “Reading Strategy: Tune in to Interesting Words

1. Hi 4KM 4KJ,

Great post! I really like the answer garden thing up the top, very cool!♥♥♥ I think if I earn a blog i’ll do one of those!:)

I think I’ve got millions and billions of numbers I could put in there!:)♥

The reading strategy was really fun and I wrote down heaps of words on a piece of paper that I keep in my tub!♥

Paris

• Dear Paris,

Thanks for commenting!

I like the answer garden too, it’s awesome! I have a lot of interesting words in the answer garden but my three favorite words are dynamic, abruptly and culprit. I think they are all quite interesting, do you agree?

What are some other things you would do if you got your own blog? πŸ™‚

Chat soon,
      Millie ♥

• Hi Millie,
        Great comment, the answer gardens cool, I know. Those words are very interesting!

Some other things I would put on my blog are a Voki and I would do loads of posts and also make sure it was horse crazy! (as you probably already know!)♥♥.

There would be so much more things that I would put on my blog but some of them I can not remember the names of!♥

Some interesting words I had were Logic, triumphantly and lots more!

Thanks again,
        Paris ♥♥♥

• Dear Paris,

Great comment. πŸ™‚ You are a very good reader just like many other people. πŸ˜€

You are doing very good with your comments so keep up the good work. πŸ™‚ I also like the anwser garden and I think it is a good idea for kids to learn more words. πŸ˜€

I have to go now but keep at it. πŸ™‚

From Olivia πŸ˜€ πŸ™‚

From Liv

Some of those words are really interesting!

Some interesting word I know are curious and mumbled.
    (I know to many to list)

See you tomorrow,
    Harry

• Dear Harry,
      Awesome comment! The words on the answer garden are very interesting!

I have way to many words to list but if you want to have a look at some I put mine on the word garden!!:)

Paris

• Hi Harry,

Great comment! πŸ™‚

Yes the anwser garden has lots of interesting words. πŸ˜€ I also had to many words to list but that is a good thing because if you didn’t know the words you found you can learn about them and if there are to many to list then that means you have found a lot and can learn loads of things about them and what they mean. πŸ™‚

From Olivia

3. Dear 4KM and 4KJ’

I love the new post you put you put up it is great.

I would like to have my own blog so I could put up great post like this one.

I really like this strategy it is a good one.

sincerly
    Connor F

• Dear Connor,

Nice Commenting! πŸ™‚

It is a really good thing to have and a wonderful way for students and teachers around the world to learn about. πŸ˜€ If I had a blog I would put on a post about “Why reading is good for you.” πŸ™‚

From Olivia

4. Hi everyone,

I really love learning about interesting words, infact I love learning about any kind of words and I love reading! You should have a very good vocabulary if you read alot. It is great if you read because you will extend your vocabulary.

From your blogging buddy
    Mitchell

• Hi Mitchell,

Nice comment! πŸ™‚ I love to read and I think it is a really good thing for people to do and I am glad it was envented. πŸ˜€ As I said before great comment but I have to go. πŸ™‚

From Liv

5. Hi everyone, :mrgreen:

I really love reading in fact I actually got 30 books for Christmas and my birthday combined πŸ™‚ .So I will defiantly get some vocabulary on the Answer garden.

Who is your favorite author?

From Darcy :mrgreen: πŸ™‚

• Hi Darcy,
      My favorite author is Kathy Helidoniotis. Of course she writes ‘Horse books’ but she also uses some very interesting words!

I got some books for Christmas as well but not 30!!!

Paris

I have some really interesting words and I want to see who can solve them out, Picasso, perplexed, burden, psychologically, strategic, mutual, wacky, eternal, denomic, clique and designated. If you figure them out please tell me.

I probably would not be able to write a comment in interesting words to the class. But that is ok because I will learn to.

My favourite reading strategy would have to be Tune into interesting words.

By for now,
    Meg :mrgreen: πŸ˜€ πŸ™‚

• Hi Meg,
      Once again great comment!:)

They are some interesting words, I have some too:
      .skittish
      .experiment
      and lots others.

Anyway my favorite CAFE strategy is Fluency I seem to have expression!♥

Bye,
      Paris

7. Hi 4KM 4KJ,
    I just put a whole heap of words in the answer garden! Do you want to know how many?… 21!♥

Hopefully we get a whole stack of words in there by the end of the day!♥

Paris

8. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

Great blog post! I l♥ve the CAFE stratergies that we do every week.

Well I learnt a few interesting words today, they are:
    ambitious, procrastinator, procrastination, exclaimed and that’s most of them that I can remember.

Well, my favourite reading strategy is probably F (Fluency).

Greta post Again,
    πŸ˜› Ava πŸ˜›

• Hey Ava,
      I think it was a great post to!♥

My favorite CAFE strategy is also Fluency! I think the tuning into interesting words was one of my favorite strategies!♥

Sorry about the short comment,
      Paris

• Dear Ava,

Awesome comment!

My favorite CAFE focus so far is tuning into interesting words. I l♥ve reading and I have a list of interesting words in my tub, and some of them are dynamic, purposeful, sympathetic, distress, skittish, culprit and disapproval.

Do you have any interesting words?

From Millie πŸ˜€

9. Hi 4KM and 4KJ, πŸ™‚

Congratulations to Ebony, Mitchell S and Eden. Well done to Miss Jordan for putting up a fantastic blog post and a fabulous tagxedo with many interesting words. :mrgreen:

I am reading a book at the moment which has lots of interesting words.

Bye for now

Anneliese πŸ™‚

• Hi Anneliese,
      Great comment!♥♥♥

I’m reading a book as well and it has very interesting words in it (I’ve added loads in the answer garden!)

My favorite CAFE strategy is Fluency I seem to be really good reading with fluency.

Paris

• Hi Paris, πŸ˜†

Thanks for replying to my comment. Your comment was fantastic as well. I think the answer garden is amazing. I have not submitted that many words. :mrgreen:

In CAFE I like doing expand vocabulary. It’s amazing how you can learn so many words.
        I love learning the definition of new words. πŸ™‚

I love reading so much because once I start reading a book I just keep on reading because the book is so interesting. πŸ˜€

I have too many books. I just can’t find the time to read them all. My favourite author is Susannah Mcfarlane. I love reading her EJ12 books because they are so interesting. I also like reading Geronimo Stilton books as well. πŸ˜›

Bye for now

Anneliese :mrgreen:

10. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

Great post! πŸ™‚ I love doing inderpendent reading as it is a very relaxing thing to do. πŸ˜€

My favourite reading strategy is Fluency even though I am not very good at it. πŸ™‚ I like it because you get to listern to how other people would use their voice for the person’s in the book or text your reading. πŸ˜€ I read about lots of interesting words and I will try to remember them as best as I can. πŸ™‚ Some of them are: Auditorium,insulting,sternly,heavyset etc. πŸ˜€ I loved reading the post, πŸ™‚
    From Olivia πŸ˜€

• Hi Oliva,
      What a great comment! lots of smiley faces!♥:).

My favorite reading strategy is Fluency as well but I seem to be good at it, I actually think you are one of the best readers in our grade although we do seem to have a whole stack of great intelligent readers and your one of them!♥.

Paris

• Hi Olivia,

Great comment πŸ™‚

What is your favorite book and who is the author? My favorite author is Paul Jennings! πŸ™‚

From Darcy :mrgreen:

11. Hello!

bonjour
    buenas noches
    buenos dias
    good day
    good morning
    greetings
    hey
    hi
    hi-ya
    how goes it
    howdy
    howdy-do
    Salutations
    G’day
    shalom
    welcome
    what’s happening
    what’s up

Good-bye!

xx

• @ Ness,

Thankyou for your comment.
      Great describing words for you greetings.

Do you know what these words mean?
      Impasse, rational, Interrogration, lull, accumuulating, fraternal, fatal, rigging, imply and grugingly.

Hope you can answer,
      Amelie 4KM

• Hello Amelie

I have put my thinking cap on – those are hard words, though! I’ll have a crack below for you and see if I can write you some creative answers:

Impasse: When I want Logan to eat tomato and he doesn’t want to we’re at an impasse until one of us wins πŸ™‚
        rational: You make a decision that makes sense, like eating an apple instead of a sugary lolly.
        Interrogation: You ask a lot of questions as you really want to know the correct or true answer, like you might interrogate Mrs Morris to find out if she is having a little boy or girl.
        lull: A rest time, a quiet time, no noise.
        accumulating: If you have your own bank account or money box and put money in you’re accumulating money
        fraternal: Logan has a Mum (me) and a Dad (Justin). His Dad is the fraternal side of the family – it’s easy to remember as they both start with ‘f’. If it was my side of the family, it would be the maternal side = m for Mum
        fatal – Woops, something that never comes back and has ended…like my last sentence that disappeared somewhere!
        rigging: This is a hard one, but I think rigging has got something to do with boats. I may have to Google this one, now!
        imply – when you would like to say something, but don’t want to say it outright.
        grudgingly: When I win the impasse with Logan and his tomato and he grudgingly takes a bite.

12. @ 4KM and 4KJ,

Wow great post Miss Jordan πŸ˜†

My interesting word is clot but I don’t know what it means can any one help me?

Best wishes,
    M♥lly πŸ˜›

Here are the interesting words I know:
    Bonzer,
    G’Day,
    Alow,
    Descendent,
    Dependent,
    Amnesia,:???: ❓

Thats all I can think of for now
    Bye,
    Ella
    :mrgreen:

14. Howdy doody, Ava!

I would love to know how many ways we say hello around the world – just in other languages. Ciao is hello in Italian. Perhaps next time I see you all I can say ciao!

Cheers
    Ness

15. dear class,
    When read a book my words were dawn trek
    my favourute cafe is tune in to interesting words.

from shayla,

Wow,what a fabulous post, I remember reading all these posts last year and always commenting on them but now I have a different class blog!

Independent reading was great last year with you guys I loved all the things we did, it was so awesome!
    Now your new class can experience it!

from your old student,
    -Jess

17. Hello 4KJ and 4KM,
    My name is Amy and I am from a class called 5/6L.
    My class is in the process of going through all the CAFE strategies and I am enjoying it a lot.
    We had done 8 strategies

From Amy

18. Dear 4km and 4kj,

I remember learning about reading strategies! <3 It was SO fun! My teacher taught us to think about what we were reading and try to imagine ourselves in that situation. I have used that strategy ever since I learned it, and it is really helpful to me. πŸ™‚
    Sicerely,
    Anikka from Techie Kids

19. Dear 4KM and 4KJ’

love the post it’s awesome it was a good idea for you to think of tune in to interesting words.

I wish I had my own blog so I could leave post like that because you are so good at it and I would like to be as good as you.

see
    you
    later
    Connor

20. Dear readers,

I like to learn about new words, too!
    I like to use new descriptive words in
    my writing. It looks like you have found
    lots of new words.
    from Danielle in year 3

21. I absolutely love the idea of posting interesting words when coming across them when you read. I think I will use your idea for kids to post interesting words on a word wall to stimulate interest in the classroom and allow students to reread the word in the context of the sentence from the story they read.