Our World, Our Numbers Global Project

In 4KM and 4KJ, we love to connect and learn with our friends around the world.

Today we are launching a new global project called Our World, Our Numbers.

We have a blog http://ourworldournumbers.edublogs.org where we’ll meet up with our blogging buddies to learn together for the next five weeks.

In late 2011, many of us worked on an award winning global project called Our World, Our Stories. This latest project is based on a similar format with a mathematical focus.

Classes involved

The students are all from primary (elementary) classes and are from three different continents and five countries.

Mr Avery’s sixth grade class from Massachusetts, USA

Mrs Monaghan’s 3/4 class, Room with a View, from England

Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan’s grade four class, 4KM and 4KJ, from Victoria, Australia

Mrs McKenzie’s 2/3 class, B4, from New Zealand

Mrs Yollis’ 2/3 class from California, USA

Mr Salsich’s third grade class from Connecticut, USA

Mrs Watson’s K/1/2/3 class from Canada

View Our World, Our Numbers in a larger map

How will it work?

Students from all classes will connect and collaborate by sharing their mathematical lives. This will happen through the blog and involve a variety of media.

A different class will “lead” a mathematical topic every four days or so, publishing posts and replying to comments.  The other classes will read the posts, possibly publish their own posts, and leave blog comments.

We will share topics such as currency, seasons, time zones, population data etc.

The learning

Through blog posts, the students will teach each other about different aspects of mathematics based on aspects of their own culture.

The learning will continue in the commenting section where students, teachers and parents will engage in conversations to explore mathematical and cultural topics further.

Students will gain an understanding of mathematics through the eyes of children in different countries and cultures. They will make comparisons and contrasts between their lives and other students’ lives.

If you want to keep up to date with how the fun and learning unfolds, there is a “subscribe via email” box on the right hand side of the Our World, Our Numbers blog.

Get Involved

We encourage all members of the 4KM and 4KJ community to get involved!

4KM and 4KJ are leading the first topic by sharing our currency.

Head over to the Our World, Our Numbers blog now to check out our post and leave a comment.

What do you think about our new global project?

13 thoughts on “Our World, Our Numbers Global Project

1. Hi everyone,

I am really looking forward to this project with Mrs Yollis’ class, Mr Avery’s class, Mr Salsich’s class, Mrs McKenzie’s class, Mrs Watsons class, Mrs Monaghan’s class. Some of the classes have links so you can look at them. But I want to learn about all of the currency like New Zeland, USA and United Kingdom.

Your blogging buddy Mitchell 🙂

2. Dear 4KM & 4 KJ,

I really like this idea. 🙂
    It really brings all of our blogging friends together.
    Every time I want to add a link to my blog , I think it would be polite to ask. Is it ok if I added your blog link to my blog?
    I earned my own blog , my teacher Mr. Avery set one up for some students in my class it is really fun to see how many visitors I have every day.

Ari
    In Mr.Avery’s class

• Hi Ariel,

My name is Anneliese. I am in Miss Jordan’s grade.I agree. This our world our numbers project is awesome. It is great how we can all get together for this project.

Our topic to share is currency. I am so excited about learning new facts about currency. Here is a fact that I didn’t know about Australian currency. On the ten dollar note some of A.B Paterson’s excerpts are printed on it. Australia is the first country to replace paper notes with plastic notes.

I haven’t got a blog but hopefully I can earn a blog soon. It is great to have a fantastic teacher with an awesome blog being shared with Mrs Morris. I feel so lucky to be in Miss Jordan’s grade this year.

Your blogging buddy
      Anneliese
      From Miss Jordan’s grade

I’m really ecxited about our global project. It is the first one I’ve ever done! So ofcourse I’m really ecxited.

I think numbers is a great topic!

Sorry have to go,
    Paris

• Dear Paris,
      I am very exited too about the our world our numbers project.
      and it is also the first one I have done too.
      Jude 😀

4. Hello 4KM and 4KJ,

This sounds like a great project to bring together schools from around the world and talk about maths in our lives. I love doing maths at my school.

I hope you all have fun!
    Sarah from 8C @ Selwyn House School, New Zealand.

5. Hi 4km and 4kj

This is my seacond global projecd but
    im stil veary eaxited.My last one was
    when l yous to live in sydny in preap.:)

From Jason:0

6. Hi 4km and 4kj

This is my seacond global projecd but
    im stil veary eaxited.My last one was
    when l yous to live in sydny in preap.

From Jason :mrgreen:

7. Hi 4km and 4kj

This is my seacond global projecd but
    im stil veary eaxited :mrgreen: . My last one was
    when l yous to live in sydny in preap.

From Jason :mrgreen: