The Grade Four Netbook Program Has Launched!

It has been an exciting week at Leopold Primary School, because we launched the Grade Four Netbook Program!

The students in 4KM and 4KJ were thrilled to receive their very own netbooks on Wednesday. Netbooks are small laptops, and for our netbook program we are using the TravelMate Acer B113.

We will be using the netbooks to improve our learning in the classroom and beyond. The students will soon have the opportunity to take their netbooks home each night.

Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan are really looking forward to seeing how using the netbooks will help the students develop their knowledge across the curriculum.

4KM and 4KJ enjoyed exploring their netbooks this week. Here are some students using their netbooks for the very first time!

We have already learnt some important skills, including how to look after our netbooks, how to be safe online, using the school network, using the EduSTAR programs and emailing. We’ve also enjoyed doing some quality blog commenting. We will learn lots more in the coming months!

Here are some thoughts from a few of our excited students…

Riley: I am looking forward to doing homework on my netbook.

Olivia: I can’t wait to do more blogging.

Yunus: I think it will be really fun to do maths on my netbook.

Ebony: I am looking forward to researching information on my netbook.

Liam: I am looking forward to being a part of the netbook program.

Jordi: It will be really fun to learn new programs on my netbook.

Logan P: It is amazing to have my own netbook to use at school and at home.

Mia: It is exciting to learn more about technology.

Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan have a lot of netbook activities planned for literacy, numeracy and our inquiry unit. We can’t wait to share all of our netbook learning adventures with our blog readers!

****

How do you think your learning can improve by using netbooks in class and at home?

What are you looking forward to doing with your netbook?

Have you got any ideas for activities we could do using the netbooks?

61 thoughts on “The Grade Four Netbook Program Has Launched!

1. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,
    what a great post Miss Jordan.

To introduce myself, Hi my name is Libby and I am from 5TM. Click on my name to access my blog. I will keep checking this blog and I’ll leave lots of comments.
    Have your student met Mr Avery, Mrs Yollis or B4 yet?

Peace Out,
    Lobo :mrgreen:

• Dear Libby,

Thanks for the comment.

We haven’t met Mr. Avery or B4 yet but when the school went into there classromms for this year we skyped with Mrs Yollis. It was really fun and she sounds like a really nice teacher. I hope you enjoy visiting this blog and if I get time I will try and leave a comment.

From Olivia 4KJ

• Dear Libby,
      What a great comment! My name is Paris and I’m in 4KJ this year.
      Our grade has Skype Mrs Yollis and Mr Avery has left comments but we Haven’t Really talked to B4 before but I think they’ve left some comments on our blog before.
      Are you enjoying your grade this year?
      Paris

2. Hi again 4KM and 4KJ,
    What a fabulous opportunity you have been given. When I went to school we didn’t even have computers, so this is fantastic.
    I love the fact that you are able to talk with and share information with other schools, all over the world.
    Take care and be safe with your internet.
    Catharina

• Dear Ella’s mum,

It’s sucks that you did’nt have computers
      when you were at school our teachers told us as all
      about being safe on the Internet

4km student,
      Kyle ๐Ÿ™‚

• Hi Kyle,
        It didn’t bother me to not have a computer, because I had not even heard of them. We used books, paper and pencils. We just had to keep safe in the playground and walking to and from school.
        Life was a bit different then, but we still had lots of fun.
        I hope you have a great day.
        from Catharina

• Dear Catharina,

Thanks for your great comment.

It must have been a little bit hard for you to work without computers. It also sounds like it would be a bit fun to try and challange yourself. I hope you enjoyed the days back then and visiting our blog.

From Olivia

• Thanks Olivia for your great comment.
        I had lots of fun at school and when I was about your age.
        Our learning was different, we had lots of books.
        Sometimes when Ella asks me a question about her work we have to talk about it lots because your classes use different names for things than we used to.
        Have a fabulous day learning.
        Regards Catharina.

• Dear Catharina,

Thanks for your great comment.

I’m sorry about the other short one. I didn’t really have time so I thought I would be able to do it but unfortunetly I guessed wrong. Anyway the netbooks are so cool and we are so lucky to have them. Someone else left a comment and said I wish we had them because they sound really cool and fun to use. It would all so be a much better way to learn healthier. Sometimes I wish you could get laptos and then you get them and don’t really want them then you wish you could go back to just using books.

Did you wish you could have them when you were in school?
          How would you use them?

From Olivia

• Hi Olivia, What a very detailed post,thank you for taking the time to post again. If I had a laptop when I was at school, I think I wouldhave used it to find out information that was only available to me in encyclopaedias and big text books. I find it amazing that so much information is in a smallpiece of equipment,that fits in your school bag.Imightalso use it to read books, I love reading. Keep up the fabulous blogging.Iwill enjoykeeping up with you and your classmates.Bestwishes Catharina.

3. Hi 4KJ and 4KM
    We are from Mount Annan Christian College and we loved looking at your blog post about your net books. We think you are very lucky and we would like to have some too!

We hope that you have a safe year while you are learning about the internet. We think you could use your netbooks for homework to look up information. You could use an online dictionary. You could find games and programs to help you learn Maths and other subjects.

Your blog has some great advice on how to be safe on the internet. We hope that you will take the time to look at our blog too!

Happy Blogging

4T and 3/4B
    Mrs Todd and Miss Berrell
    Mount Annan Christian College

• Dear 4T and 3/4B,

thanks for your comment.

I wish you guys could have computers like us and many other people. As I said to someone else it would be a little bit fun to work without computers and use your brain. I am sure you would have computers you could borrow some. It is really fun to have our own and be able to take them home and enjoy them with your family. I hope you liked visiting our blog and come back.

From Olivia

• Dear 4T and 3/4B,

I am Keira from 4KM. We thank you for your great qulity comment.

Our netbooks are so cool, and we could use them for homework at home. But we have to pay the full thing before we can take them home. We have also done lots of fun activities on our netbooks.

I’m sure we’ll look at your blog sometime soon, but we have been flat out.

Nice meeting you all.

Bye for now Keira. ๐Ÿ˜†

4. Hi 4KM & 4KJ

Great to hear the netbooks have arrived and you are learning all about how to use them and look after them. It is also lovely to see some photos of you..nice pic Amelia and Paris!

From Lara
    (Paris’s Mum)

• Dear Lara,

Thanks for your great comment. I love the netbooks and learning how to send Emails.

Paris and Amelia look like they really enjoy them and whenever I look over to them they are always laughing and having fun. Paris is a great friend. Today we made like a slide show on PowerPoint and it was really fun. I think everyone is enjoying there laptop.

From Olivia ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜€

• Hi Olivia

Thanks for replying to my comment. What was your PowerPoint slide show about? I sometimes do PowerPoint presentations for my work. They are fun to make aren’t they?

Bye for now
        Lara (Paris’s mum)

Hi my name is Tom. Last year I was in Miss Jordan’s student last year. This year I am in Mr Mac’s class. I am happy to see your class blog up and running again. Here is the address to my blog: http://tom5tm.global2.vic.edu.au/

You grade fours are lucky you got net books this year but we shared them last year and we were on them a lot. I also really enjoy net book hour last year. My favourite activity is, up beat I hope you would enjoy it.

great post,
    your old student,
    Tom

• Dear Thomas,

Thanks for leaving us a comment and I hope you like our blog.

It is so cool to have our own netbooks. I will try and leave you a comment.

From Olivia

P.S your brother Luke was in my brothers class.

6. Hello again 4KM and 4KJ,

How exciting! Your own netbooks to use at school and home means you can be online at anytime (provided you have wifi access).

The closest I was able to come to this with my students was to lend them one of my computers to keep at home. I had enough at one time to lend one to each member of my class but they were desktop computers and the children didnโ€™t have access to the internet at home. They would bring floppy disks to school to share work or print.

The times have definitely changed. These days I would probably have been buying netbooks just like you will be using.

I hope to see some of the brilliant work I know you will be doing with your netbooks. ๐Ÿ™‚

@RossMannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• To Ross Mannell,

It’s great to finally get our netbooks.
      I’m looking forward to doing homework on my netbook.
      What do you like to do in your free time.
      Speak to you soon,
      Harry (4KJ)

• Dear Harry,

Thank you for replying to my comment.

With my hobbies and interests, I don’t really have free time. I enjoy trying to do as much as I can in a day but do sometimes take a slow day. ๐Ÿ™‚

You can often find me bushwalking of at the local cinema. With a hobby of photography and video, I can also often be found working with cameras. As part of this hobby, I make DVDs and CDs for school and community groups. Another hobby is blog commenting.

@RossMannell
        Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Dear Ross Mannell,

Great comment.

Yes it is exciting to have our own netbooks to use at school, I am also excited to be using heaps in the classroom.

Wow, lending computers to people to use at home, that is creative. I think that it is creative because you are sharing and sharing is a good thing.

Wow it must of been a hasel to not have internet access at their houses but at least that got to use them.

Floppy disks, that sounds cool. I have never seen or heard of a floppy disk before, They must be helpful.

Talk to you soon!

From a 4KJ student,
      Meg

• Dear Meg,

Back when I had those computers to lend, the Internet in schools was a reasonably new thing. I had access with my account and would sometimes plug a modem into a phone socket so children could access the internet but it was much simpler than it is today so you couldnโ€™t share videos or music. It was in the 90s I installed the schoolโ€™s first network and we started to have internet access at school.

Floppy disks were once the only way to store your work. When hard drives were developed, storage was easier. When I first used computers back in 1975, computers were large, didn’t have screens, disk drives, CDs, DVDs or internet access. The programmes I wrote for computers were on long cardboard tapes with holes punched in them. Much has happened to make computers what they are these days. ๐Ÿ™‚

Imagine, this is my 38th year using computers. ๐Ÿ™‚

@RossMannell
        Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Hello RossMennell,

I loved your comment. My name is Jesse and i’m in 4KM.

I love my new netbook because its keys are soft and easy to press. Wow, your comment is HUGE and packed with info!

Why do you like to blog alot ?

Where are you from?

From your mate,
      Jesse

• Dear Jesse,

Netbooks are a great idea. Not as expensive as a full laptop, they make it much easier for schools to afford.

I do have six blogs but two are my main ones. One is where I share some short stories with writing challenges for adults but the busiest was set up so I could write long blog comments for classes and include photos, video and audio if needed. The extended comments blog has a Flag Counter telling me it has been visited by people from 151 countries since it was set up in May last year.

Here is a link to an extended comment I wrote for last year’s 4KM and 4KJ…
        http://rossmannellcomments.edublogs.org/2012/10/26/wrong-shapes-for-4km-and-4kj/

Where am I from? I live in a small coastal tourist town in southern New South Wales. I have had family living in this area since 1847 although I had spent much of my teaching life in Sydney. ๐Ÿ™‚

@RossMannell
        Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Dear Ross Mannell,

Thanks for the great comment!

Hi, my name is Jess and I am in 4KJ.
      I know it is very exciting about our netbooks but it is still great to have a computer to keep at home.

I have never seen a floppy disk before. Now I think we have CDs and DVDs.

What do you like to do on the computers?
      What do you like about computers?

From Jess
      4KJ

• Dear Jess,

Floppy disks are no longer normally used although I think I still have some in a cupboard. They were once the way we stored our work. Unlike CDs, DVDs and BluRay disks, floppy disks used magnetic heads to write and read on the disks.

I use computers for many things. I have friends I can contact through many ways. I store photos, videos and music on them. I edit video and audio to make CDs and DVDs for schools and community groups. Of course, I also blog and blog comment.

What do I like about computers? They can be troublesome at times. I have six in my home office but two need some work. What I like is not so much the computers but what we can do with them.

@RossMannell
        Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Dear RossMannell,

I am Rochelle from 4km.
      Thanks for leaving a qaulity comment we really apriciate it.Mrs Morris told us that you really like to start conversations well thats good.

from Rochelle

• Dear Rochelle,

Sometimes I try to tell myself to not write long comments but it never seems to work. Too many times I end up writing long comments, some so long I have to add them to a special blog I have so I don’t use up too much space in someone else’s blog.

@RossMannell
        Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Hi Ross Mannell,
      Thanks for the great comment!

I am a old student from 2KM and 2KJ 2011.
      I got a blog in 2011 and it was called Jordi’s Joyful Blog and you used to comment on it when I had a post up that caught your eye.
      http://jordisblog.global2.vic.edu.au/

The netbooks are really exciting. As I am replying to you I am using my netbook. They are really good to use.

I have a question for you:

When you were at school and you used black boards and pens some of the time how many years later computers come out to use?

Jordi ๐Ÿ˜›

• Dear Jordi,

Hello again. I remember your blog. I was wondering if some from 2KM and 2KJ would find themselves in 4KM and 4KJ this year. It was 2KM and 2KJ plus a few other classes back in 2011 that started my interest in blog commenting. ๐Ÿ™‚

My first serious use of computers was in university back in 1975 although I did see a very large computer back in 1972. Anyone’s mobile phone of today is far more powerful than that large computer yet, at the time, the huge computers were very advanced.

I first used a computer in school back in 1981. It was an Apple II computer with 16Kb of memory. To give you an idea, the computer I am using now has 8Gb of memory. That is 8,000,000 Kb of memory and could have more added if I needed. That’s a big difference in the memory a computer needs to work.

When I first started teaching, I used an 8mm movie projector and film, an overhead projector, a slide projector, and a cassette player if I wanted children to see and hear. These days we cannot only use computers to play videos, music, and photos, we can create our own. Computers of today have allowed me to do many things once not possible or very difficult.

@RossMannell
        Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Hello Ross Mannell,
      Thankyou for the great comment.
      You might not know me but I am 4KJ.
      I was new last year.
      Good Blessings,
      Princess

• Dear Princess,

I think you are in for an exciting year of learning experiences. I have been following the blog for close to two years now and have seen many interesting shared activities.

You will probably see me dropping into this blog a number of times and might even see I have visited some other blogs you will visit. ๐Ÿ™‚

@RossMannell
        Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

7. Hi 4KJ,

Nice photo Paris and Amelia! I’m looking forward to blogging this year. Looks like the computers will be a great asset for your classroom. Have fun.

Damian (Paris’ dad).

• Dear Damian,

Thanks for your comment. You might remeber me from last year. I am so glad we got them. We have already done a slideshow on powerpoint.

Blogging is one of my favourite thing to do on the computer so it sounds great.

Did you get one when you were in Primary School?
      What is your favourite thing to do on the computer?

From Olivia! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜€

8. How do you think your learning can improve by using netbooks in class and at home?

Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

My favourite part about the netbooks is how we have our own netbook! ๐Ÿ˜† Having our own E-mail is pretty cool too.
    My learning can improve by using programs like powerpoint, Mathletics and classroom blogs. For an activity I would love to skype someone!
    from your pal,

Charlotte ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @ Charlotte,

Thank you for your comment.

I did not get a net book this year as I am moving schools, but I got a laptop for Christmas last year.

I am looking forward to doing some blogging on my blog. Here is the address: ameliesblog.global2.vic.edu.au

What are you going to do on your netbook this year?

Amelie

• Dear Charlotte,

great comment, what I think the netbooks can help me improve my learning is research, you can learn so much about things when you research. I Like to search about doctors, animals and our body’s, what do you like to research?

Some typing activities I found were Tux typing or math Genius maker, have you got any ideas to do you have for some activities?

Peace out,
      from Mitchell

9. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

The netbooks are a great success, I have learnt alot in the first few days and can not wait to take them home.

I am looking forward to getting as much out of the netbook program as possible and cant wait to learn about the netbooks capabilities.

From Darcy ๐Ÿ™‚

• To Darcy,
      Great comment.

I can’t wait to take my netbook home as well.

What are you looking forward to doing on your netbook at home?

Harry

• Dear Darcy,

I can’t wait to take them home either! But when I do I probably will do reading on there instead of reading my own books from home it will be great!

I can’t wait to do lots of things like maths,literacy and playing all kinds of different things!

Kind regards,
      Eb

• Dear Darcy,
      Your right the netbooks have been great and fun to use. I can’t wait to learn about more things on our netbooks.
      What is the best thing you’ve done on your netbook?
      Paris

• @ Darcy,

Hey Darcy I think the laptops are really great and that that I have learnt a lot.
      Do you want to learn anything else?

From Yunus :]:}

10. Hello class!

I am so excited to hear you’ve got your computers up and running. I think online learning is a great way to experience new and wonderful things at school and around the world. I wish I had computers when I went to primary school – all I had were paper and pens and a black board…

Have a wonderful week, everyone!

Cheers
    Ness

• Dear Ness,

Thank you for the comment.
      It has been fun on our netbooks so far.
      We have done E-mails blogging and much more!
      It really sucks that you didn’t have computers when your were a kid.
      Were computers invented sometime when you were still a kid.
      from,
      Jude

Wowie! Your very own netbooks? That is outstanding! My wheels are spinning with all of the wonderful things my students could do if we had the same program. This is sure to be an exciting year for all of you!

I teach Technology as a special class to my students. We see each other one time each week for 40 minutes. Do you have special classes that you go to? Since we arenโ€™t together every day, I would love for my students to be able to take home the technology we use in class and create stories or scripts at home. Then, they could bring back the work they started and we could explore more publishing possibilities together. It would be exciting to see my students use EduGlogster to publish some of their research. I would also love to take their scripts and create โ€œhow-toโ€ video tutorials that we could share with other classes. Another idea that I am very interested in is creating songs about our learning in the classroom that could help other students learn about the same topic. I have found that words set to music really stick with me. Have any of you ever written a song?

I canโ€™t wait to see what you will be able to do this year!

Sincerely,
    Mrs. Moore
    Techie Kids

• Dear Mrs Moore,

Hi my name is Charlotte and am a 4KM student for 2013.
      Yes the netbooks are pretty cool ๐Ÿ™‚ we have been doing a lot of work with them like I got a netbook, in fact I am using it for the comment!

I have always tried to write a song but I just can’t ๐Ÿ˜ฅ
      We do have cool classes that we go to they are like, Indo, art, P.E and lots more.

Your friend,

Charlotte ๐Ÿ˜†

• Dear Charlotte,

Thank you so much for replying to me! It’s wonderful to hear you are already making good use of those netbooks by leaving comments. I think it would be amazing to learn Indonesian! I took a few classes in school to learn Spanish, but I am definitely not fluent.

I’ve been thinking about writing songs for a while now. The strategy I used was just rewriting lyrics to tunes I already know. Last year’s second graders were learning about plants, so we thought about things they had learned that they wanted to share with next year’s students. We picked the topic first, plants, and then we picked the tune. They chose “If You’re Happy and You Know It.” Next, we wrote out the original lyrics and started to replace them with facts about our new topic. The next step was to practice singing the new lyrics out loud to see if they sounded nice with the tune. We fixed things that didn’t sound right. Finally, we practiced the song with our lyrics and recorded it to make our own music video. It was very fun! You can click here to see the finished product. We also made a song about different reading genres for March is Reading Month. You can click here to see that one too.

If you are still interested, you should definitely keep trying to write a song. I’m sure you could do it! Just have fun!

Your pal in Michigan,
        Mrs. Moore ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Hi Paris

Just learning about Blogs, you will have to teach me next time i see you. Good luck learning about Computers, you are doing well.

Love from Poppy (Paris’ Grandfather)

13. Pingback: Grade Four Special Visitor Afternoon | 4KM and 4KJ @ Leopold Primary School

14. Pingback: A Special Visit From Minister Hall | 4KM and 4KJ @ Leopold Primary School