Quality Commenting

Today, Thursday 24th January, Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan are teaching other teachers all about blogging!

We have organised a special day, along with Mr Limb and our friend, Mr Collier, called Technify Your Teaching. Teachers from around Victoria have come to Leopold Primary School to learn about using technology, such as blogging, in the classroom.

One of the most important aspects of blogging is quality commenting.

Leaving a comment is as simple as this…

1. Click on the heading of the post you wish to comment on.

2. Scroll down until you can see the “Leave a Comment” section.

3. You will be asked for your name and email address/website (email and website is optional and will not be published).

4. You will also need to write the “spam word”.

5. Click “submit comment”.

Remember: Your comment WILL NOT appear straight away. It is emailed to Mrs Morris or Miss Jordan to check first. If your comment is okay it will soon appear on the blog!

We love to receive quality comments from students, parents, teachers, and anyone else, on our blog! There are several steps involved in writing a quality blog comment.

Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan created this poster to help their students remember the guidelines to successfully write good quality blog comments.

Here is an instructional video showing you how to leave a comment.

Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan are looking forward to teaching our new students all about quality commenting next week when Term One begins!

Please leave us a quality blog comment!

What are you hoping to achieve with blogging in your class this year?

34 thoughts on “Quality Commenting

1. Hi Kathleen & Kelly, I am hoping to improve our class blog this year. Our students are keen to get lots of visitors. They were very excited last year whenever we received a visitor from a new country.

I’m really looking forward to learning more about blogging and using it in our daily classroom learning. Our school is very small with only 16 students enrolled for 2013! Creating a blog will enable us to establish more collaborations with schools both locally and globally. Thankyou for sharing your expertise.

3. Hi Kelly and Kathleen
    Thanks for sharing your expertise in blogging.
    We are looking forward to trialling blogging with our classes and hope we can be enthusiastic bloggers.
    Thanks
    Jenny & Ann

4. I am hoping to successfully learn how to set-up a class blog that I can use as a learning tool with both students and parents.
    In our system, we have a minor tool but it doesn’t allow enough space for me to inform students and have them interact with me.

5. Hi there
    Looking forward to learning how to help my kids become even more involved and interested in their school experiences.
    Hope your internet connection improves for you!!
    Cheers
    Steve

6. Hi Kelly & Kathleen,
    I love your class blog! I am looking forward to implementing some of your ideas into my own classroom. I team teach grade 5/6 at Killara Primary School in Sunbury. This year will be the second year of our 1:1 netbook program for 5/6 students. I would like to create our own class blog this year but I’m not sure yet how to use it authentically for learning. Looking forward to hearing all of your great ideas!
    Thanks,
    Katelyn

7. Thanks for the great advice on setting up blogs and leaving comments. This year I hope to set up my own blog and encourage parents to visit the site regularly as a way of keeping up with the activities taking place in our classroom. How do you decide which other class blogs you will follow through the year?

8. Hey Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan,

I am really impressed with your blog and all the hard work you have put into it. My team and I started a blog towards the end of last year and the children in our classes absolutely loved it! We are really keen to add to it and make it even more exciting. I am sure I will learn a lot of new information today!

What is your favourite thing about blogging?

Thanks,

Ashley

• Hi Ashley,

Thank you for commenting. There are many wonderful aspects of blogging but I’d have to say my favourite is the opportunity for global collaboration. It really is powerful!

I hope you had a good day yesterday.

Mrs Morris

9. Hi Kelly & Kathleen,
    Thank you both so much for organising this PD opportunity (along with Matt & Simon). I have followed your blog for a couple of years now and am happy to be able to attend today.
    This year I hope to start and maintain my own personal blog, along with a class blog with my year 2 students. From your opening comments this morning, I’m now considering the possibility of maintaining a blog with all 3 Year 2 classes in my team rather than just my class.
    I have blogged myself previously – I used ‘Posterous’ to share my travels overseas! But that’s the extent of my blogging experience.
    My challenge at the moment is deciding on a name/title for my own blog, not the classroom one! Any suggestions about how to decide on a name?
    Thanks again, and I’m looking forward to the rest of today.
    Carmen

10. Hi Kathleen and Kelly,
    I’m really happy to be here today to learn more about Bloggling. This will help me make teaching and learning interesting. Thanks!

11. Hi Kathleen and Kelly,
    This seems to be a great start to blogging…. looking forward to many grat years of blogging with the skills that will be learnt today.
    Thanks for your time and patience.
    Candida.

12. Hi Kelly and Kathleen,
    Your instructions for how to leave a comment are very clear and easy to follow. This year I hope to set up my first class blog. I want the kids to find it interesting and use it to show their parents what they are doing at school. Hopefully the parents will then become more involved!
    Cathy

13. This year I am teaching P-2 and I really would like to introduce blogging to my students. I am completely new to this and feel the need to extend and implement this into my day to day teaching. I find this is such an important part of the he curriculum that can be easily neglected. From today I hope that I can have some basic skills and the confidence to set up a class blog.

14. Hi my name is Carly Wills and I’m a long time reader, first time commenter! I’ve come here to day from Wonthaggi (yes I was up very early!)and I am keen to learn as much as I can about blogging to share with my students and colleagues.

I used Edublogs last year to produce a blog for the two Grade 5/6 classes with great success. I am looking forward to streamlining this blog this year and learning more about how to use blogs successfully in the classroom to enrich student learning.

I have used WordPress as well for a teaching resources website which you can find here:
    http://misslilyscrawl.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the slide handout too! 🙂

15. Goodmorning Kelly and Kathleen,
    Thankyou for spending your day teaching us about the use of technology in the classroom.
    I am hoping to improve my confidence using computers in the classroom, and integrating blogging into everyday use for students. Hopefully, blogging will be a great way to improve global connections, literacy skills, and communication between students. Looking forward to sharing the day with you at Leopold Primary School.
    Thanks, Maddie

16. Hi everyone
    I’m very excited to be here to really get my head around blogging!!! I want 2013 to be my year of being able to create and share blogging with my class. Thank you for this opportunity to meet this challenge. cheers Marg

17. Dear Kelly & Kathleen,
    I have been following your class blog and have learnt heaps about blogging from this. I always find your blog exciting and inspiring. I have dappled in blogging throughout 2012. My aim for 2013 is to use blogging more effectively with our students and launch into more global collaboration and quad blogging.
    I’m very excited being a part of today. Thanks for your inspiration.
    Cheers
    Sandy

18. Hi Kelly and Kathleen
    The main thing I hope to achieve with a class blog this year is to extend learning beyond the four walls of the classroom. Both my own and my students’.
    This will be our second year of a 1:1 netbook program and blogging seems a natural element.
    I am looking forward to learning lots today. Thank you for providing the opportunity.
    Caroline 🙂

19. Hi Kelly and Kathleen,
    This year I am hoping to set up a successfull blog that my students and parents find easy to follow and use. I would also like to connect with other blogs around the world. I am looking forward to learning lots about the world of blogging.

Thanks
    Tarryn

20. Classroom Blogs will be a great way to link our community with our classroom. Students will enjoying tracking their school year and linking up with their class mates. We are excited to introduce this to our school this year!

21. Thank you for having me to your session today. I have dabbled with blogging before and think that it’s time to become more adept. I would like to involve the students in using this tool to respond to language tasks

22. Hi Kathleen & Kelly,I really like your blog, I want to improve my class blog quality, I want to learn advanced education technology from you, can you help me?(Sorry,my English is bad!)

23. Dear Miss Jordan and Mrs. Morris,
    Learning how to leave a quality comment is such an important lesson for all bloggers. You always give specific directions which is so helpful for first time bloggers.
    I am in the US, and for the second half of my year and I concentrating on building collaboration and learning through a new blog I started.

It goes with a student project we are doing to raise money for postage so we can send about 500-600 books so some teacher friends in Ghana, Lesothos and South Africa. Here is the link:http://bookstoafrica.edublogs.org/

When does school begin for you? It must be soon!
    Have a great start to your year!
    Greeting from Seattle, Washington, USA,
    Mrs. Hembree

• Hi Mrs Hembree,

How great to hear from you.

Miss Jordan and I are really looking forward to teaching the students about blogging and quality commenting next week. Luckily, we have some old 2KM and 2KJ students who will be a big help to the new bloggers in the class.

The teachers start school next Tuesday 29th and the children will start the following day on the 30th.

Your project sounds amazing! You’re such an inspiration. Good luck with it all. I know the African schools will appreciate your efforts.

I hope you’re staying warm in Seattle.

Your friend,
      Mrs Morris

24. Dear Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris,

I don’t really have anything much to learn about blogging this year because I don’T have you. 🙁
    But I’m sure I’ll survive grade five! The years have gone by so fast, I used to look up at grade four, fives and sixs, now there’s probably other little kids looking up to me.

I can’t believe school is just on Wednesday! The summer holidays have gone by so fast like the years. I haven’t been relaxing one little bit, I’ve been working with Nim and have been trying to handle Aadessa. She giant! If she stepped on my foot, I think I’d never go back to school it would be that bad. 😆

Through the holidays, I went to this really, really famous equestrian center called Boneo Park. I went with my friend called Rosie on the ferry, it was like three hours away if we drove. We saw an Olympic riders daughter (Mary hanna’s daughter, Geeta). Saw some AMAZING horses, got some stuff for Nim and Stuffed our mouths with food! (It was a special accasion for me).

I would just like to say thank-you so much, Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris for showing me how to blog, helping me with my blog and now I can do so many things that no one in my family can do. 😉

I’m surviving with Iesha in Queensland, though I’m still very sad. And we might go visit her in the first school holidays of this year.

Sorry if this comment wasn’t exactly what I was supposed to type, but I just haven’t been commenting for a while.

Your 2012 student,
    Bronte :mrgreen:

• Hi Bronte,

It sounds like you have had a great summer holiday! I can’t believe school is almost back either. Time does go fast.

I’m glad to hear you’re surviving without Iesha. It is always sad when friends move away but I know you’ll keep in touch.

I hope you keep blogging in 2013.

Best wishes,
      Mrs Morris

• Dear Mrs Morris,

thank-you for a reply. We’re planning to do Skype, facetime,and E-mail.

I’m planning to keep my blog for a long, long time. But I might have to give it up after a long time, I’m going to be competing tons in the next two or so years, and it might get just too much for me. But I’m going to try keep it for as long as I can.

Your (half) 2012 student,
        Bronte :mrgreen: 😆

Our class is just starting to learn about blogging and leaving quality comments. We are using the commenting poster that Miss Jordan created and shared with Mrs. Moore a few years ago. It was nice and generous of you to share with us!

We feel excited about blogging! Some of us are wondering what it would be like to have our own blog. Your video was amazing! We learned never to write our last name. We also learned how to write a quality comment.

Thank you for helping us learn!

Sincerely,
    The 4th Grade Techie Kids

26. Hello,

It is very generous of you to display your poster about courteous and constructive commenting for school blogs.

We have only been blogging for a short while and are now developing our commenting skills, and your poster will be most helpful. I will display it to my class tomorrow at school.
    Thanks again.

27. Pingback: A New Friend on Frole Island | Frole Island

28. Pingback: Emphasis on Comments | Use the web