Monster Global Project

In 4KM and 4KJ we love working on projects with our blogging buddies. We also enjoy learning about traditions in other countries.

It was recently Halloween and we have just completed a fun monster-themed project with our friends in Mr Avery’s class. Mr Avery’s sixth grade students live in Massachussets, USA.

This is how the project worked:

1. Students in 4KM and 4KJ were matched up with a partner in Mr Avery’s class.
    2. All students drew a picture of a monster.
    3. Next, the students wrote a detailed description of their own monster.
    4. The two classes switched their writing (but didn’t swap their pictures).
    5. The students had to draw their partner’s monster using the detail in the written description.
    6. We compared the original drawing to the drawing our partner made of the monster!

The results:

The results of the project were so interesting! Here is the writing that 4KM and 4KJ students prepared along with their picture and the picture that their partner in Mr Avery’s class prepared.

We learnt:

• Writing needs to be very clear and detailed for someone to generate the same mental image that you started with.
  • Writing is an excellent way to help people create a mental image when it is done well.
  • When you leave details out of your writing, people can’t read your mind to imagine what you were thinking.
  • Good readers create mental images when they’re reading.
  • Working together with other classes is fun!

Be sure to check out Mr Avery’s blog post to see the results of his students drawing our monster pictures!

Last year Mr Avery completed the monster project with Mr Salsich’s class. Click here to read about it.

What else did you learn from the project?

After reading our descriptions, did our monsters look the way you imagined?

Have you got any tips for writing good descriptions?

26 thoughts on “Monster Global Project

Great post Mrs Morris. I can see you put a lot of effort into it. It is great!

Now for the questions and enough of the compliments,

What I learnt from the project?-I learnt you need to do your best and have a go!

After reading our descriptions, did our monsters look the way you imagined?- I think the person who read mine did a good job!

Have you got any tips for writing good descriptions?- Take your time, think about it and have fun!!!

I have to go now,
    Chloe

• Dear Chloe,
      I thing Mrs Morris put a lot of time and effort into this post that’s why I am commenting on it.

What else did you learn from the project?:
      I learnt that it doesn’t mater if your picture is good, grate of bad, it is all about fun and excitement.

I looked at Mr Avery’s blog then, and he hasn’t put the post up about the monsters. That’s bad luck because I really wanted to look at the post.

After reading our descriptions, did our monsters look the way you imagined?:
      My monster looked a lot alike to the monster they drew. My monster was the one called “My Monster”.

Have you got any tips for writing good descriptions?:
      Give as many details as you can but don’t make it too long.

Trav

• Dear Chloe,
      Thank you for commenting on the class blog. Since you came to Leopold Primary School and 4KM and 4KJ you have been a great blogger. You always leave a comment on other teachers blogs, other students blogs and even the class blog.

You must of listened to Mrs Morris when she said to 4KM and 4KJ that they will be very happy if she see that there are commnents on the blog. You must like making Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan well I know I do. It is good to she that you were the first person to comment on this post.

When Mrs Morris sais we were doing a Global Progect everyone seemed so excited. Maybe that is because all our progects have been really fun and we knew that this progect would be the same. My favourite progect would have to be the Natral Disasters progect. Itw as fun and creative to make and we learnt how to make a proper power point. I liked how we got to see the volcanos eurruped now that is creative.

Then a fw days later Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan said that we are doing it with Mr Avery and it has something to do with Halloween. As an excemple they showed us the post that Mrs Avery put up when his class did it with Mr Salsich.

Mrs Morris did put a lot of effort into this post and that is why she wants lots of people to comment on the post.Mrs Morris was very disapointed that the internet wouldn’t work so she could publish the post then it finally worked.

Well I learnt that your writing always dosen’t have to be perfect. It just has to be very detalied.

Some people could of been a little more detalied so the people could undersand what the person is amaging in there head.

Your picture dosen’t have to be the exact same as the person who drew the picture.

From Maddy 😈

I loved all those pictures! 🙂 And I’m so glad that all the results are in!

I reckon that the closest pictures were probably Eathan and Georgia’s picture with Joe. M.

I did mine with Ben, ours was Pum Pum.

Sorry, got to go.

Your blogging buddy,
    Bronte :mrgreen: 😯

• Dear Bronte,
      I think the person who drew my picture (Ben W) did a great job at drawing my picture from the description. All that was wrong with it was the body shape but that was my fault.

I tried to look at Mr Avery’s post, but I can read it but I can’t see their pictures.

Trav

What a great post! Both of us really enjoyed drawing the picture and writing the description. Jess’ monster was called ‘Jelly Blob’. Sophie’s was called ‘Mermacloud’.

We thought some of the pictures looked like the orignal ones. The pictures were very creative!

Some of our favourite ones are:
    Pum Pum by Bronte and Ben
    Fuzzy by Georgia and Ethan
    Meowlady Stripe by Indi
    Wartset by Kealee
    Wildfire by Leah
    And much much more

From your friends,
    Sophie and Jess

• Dear Sophie and Jess,

thanks for typing a comment on the blog. Great comment!

I thought it was very creative and it was fun. I liked mermacloud and jelly blob alot to menchan 2.

I also like Fuzz by Georgia and Ethan,
      Meowlady by Indi and Wildfire.

I have got to go,
      Chloe

What a wonderful post! I have been so excited about seeing this post. I think the monsters that we drew were quite good. I can’t wait to see Mr Avery’s post about it.

I thought all of the pictures were awesome but I didn’t get time to read the descriptions. I really liked Georgia and Ethan’s. There monster Fuzzy was really cute.

I think Mr Avery’s class did a good job drawing our monsters. I thought Mr Avery’s students did Brandon’s, Bronte and Ben’s, Ethan and Georgia’s well just to name a few.

Skye

5. Dear Boys and Girls,
    Thank you for sharing your descriptions and drawings. I am just getting started with this project in my Grade 3 classroom in Pennsylvania, USA. I plan to show them this post as an example so they know what to do. I really like how you used measurements in your descriptions. That probably made it easier for your partner to draw the monster. Nice job with those monsters!
    Mrs. Schmidt

• Dear Tina,
      thanks for leaving a comment! 🙂
      Who are you doing the project with?
      So I guess that you’re stuck in the hurricane 🙁
      Yes, I think that measuring things for the description did make in easier, a lot easier.

I did mine with Ben, ours was Pum Pum.
      And Joe D did a great job of drawing her! 🙂

Your blogging buddy,
      Bronte :mrgreen: 😛

• Dear Mrs Schmidt,

Thank you for the comment on the 4KM and 4KJ blog!

Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan (our teachers) told us that to do very descriptive writing so Mr Avery’s class can imagine what we imagined.

Georgia 😆

Thank you so much for working on this project with us! We had so much fun. It’s really interesting to see how close you were able to draw some of the monsters. It definitely shows just how important detail is in your writing. If somebody said that their monster has a hair on top of its head, you wouldn’t know exactly what to draw. If you said that your monster has one blue, curly hair that curls to the right, you’d have a much better idea of what you needed to draw!

I’m glad my class was able to do some different projects with you this year. You’ve been a great class to work with!

Sincerely,
    Mr. Avery

• Dear Mr Avery,
      looks like the power is back on! 🙂
      I had so much fun with it too, it was a great activity.
      Yes, it’s very important to put LOTS of detail in your writing.
      Like you said before, about the hair.
      I’ve got one about a body:
      My monster has a big body that’s like a rectangle.
      So the person draws a big rectangle with squiggly lines that red and orange. Then the person that came up with the monster, drew a big rectangle with spots that are green and purple. The size and shape were corect, but the detail and colours weren’t.

Your blogging buddy,
      Bronte :mrgreen: 😛 😯

• Dear Mr Avery,

I had lots of fun working on the project with you too!

Thank you for the fantastic comment on the blog. Everyone in the grade enjoys seeing your comments and other teachers comments.

Georgia 😆

I love the post and i think we all did a great job on great work everyone.

I think a lot of them looked really good and some were a little bit worse.

I have only got one tip for people always read the writing CORRECT!

Good work to everyone who has already left a comment on this post!

Well bye bye everyone,

Clazza / Clancy

8. Hi everyone,

My name is Nichole. I have been on my class blog and sw your link so I decided to come and have a look at your blog.

Your blog looks fantastic. I like youyr design and how you have set out your post.

You should have a look at our class blog and my blog sometime at:

http://iramoo5na.global2.vic.edu.au
    That is the class blog

http://cooltimeswithnichole.global2.vic.edu.au
    That is my blog

Well I will catch you guys later.

Happy blogging,
    From Nichole 🙄

• Dear Nichole,
      Thank you for commenting on our blog. Thank you also for saying that our blog is organised, because it is.

Sorry, My name is Travis but lots of people call me Trav. I am in 4KM and 4KJ at leopold primary school

I looked at your blog and your kittens are soo cute.

How old are your kittens?

Got to go
      from your new blogging buddy,
      Trav

• Dear Trav/Travis,

I love to comment on peoples blogs so I will be commenting on your blog for now and on.

My name is Nichole. I go to Iramoo Primary School but people call me Nicky.

Thank you for looking at my blog. Did you like it? Why or why not?

My kittens are cute arn’t they. They are about 1 month old and a bit. Do you have any pets?

From Nichole
        P.S. Could you comment on my blog sometime?

• Dear Rebecca,

Thanks for the comment.

Yes most of them did look a bit the same.

I also think they were scary. Wouldn’t want them looking through you window at night.

Did you enjoy doing it?

From your new blogging buddy Trent.

Congratulations! These examples of monsters and drawings are terrific! I love how you integrated art, writing, math and creativity in this global collaborative project.

I also think that your students now understand what authors and illustrators experience. When an author writes a book, generally speaking, they do not ever talk to the illustrator of their book. The editor does the talking back and forth, but rarely do the authors and illustrators communicate directly.

I think you learned that you have to be really detailed in your writing. I also think you learned that we all see and interprete things differently.

I wonder what project you will do next?
    Mrs. Hembree

10. Hello 4KM and 4KJ,

We are a grade 2/3 class in Melbourne. Our school is called Thomastown East. We have been learning about descriptions this term. We have so far written descriptions on Mario and other characters from Mario Kart. This week we worked with a partner and drew monsters using your monster descriptions. Our teacher, Miss Whiteside, has just let us see what your monsters looked like. Aidin and Tanmeet did The Blob- their monster looked most like the original one.
    Thanks for sharing your work. We enjoyed comparing what we had drawn with what you had drawn.
    Grade 2/3W

• Dear Thomastown East,

Thank you for commenting on the 4KM and 4KJ blog!

Thank you for drawring our discriptions like we did with Mr Averys class.

From your new blogging buddy,

Georgia

P.S I am from 4KM and 4KJ, sorry I forgot to introduce myself! 😆

11. Pingback: Monster Descriptions Global Project | Frole Island