Question for Parents – Healthy Choices

The students in 4KM and 4KJ are enjoying learning about how healthy choices affect the way we all live.

Here are some 4KM and 4KJ students with healthy lunch options

We would love parents and our other blog readers to share some of their healthy tips with us. Please leave us a comment and consider sharing with us:

• Your favourite healthy meal or snack
  • A healthy recipe you and your family enjoy
  • Your favourite form of exercise
  • A tip for a healthy lifestyle

Feel free to ask us questions too. You can start a new comment or reply to another comment.

We look forward to hearing some healthy advice from parents and our other blog readers!

45 thoughts on “Question for Parents – Healthy Choices

1. /Dear 4KM and 4KJ,

WOW great food choices eveyone. I have loved learning about Healthy choices.I hope that you like learning about Healthy choices.

See you soon

Ronan

• Dear Ronan,

I to love learning about Healthy choices.
      its great that the teachers are getting us to learn about this topic because we all somtimes have unhealthy foods somtimes
      and we should all eat a lot of healthy food all the time.

well by
      for now
      Brodestar :D

• Dear Brodey,
        It’s good to have junk food, sometimes but not all the time. I don’t know what my favourite healthy food is because in my family we have a lot of different foods.

I love learning about healthy choses because the our teachers are healthy too.

Iv’e got healthier since we started this topic, I think.

What foods do you eat?

From your friend,
        Trav

2. Dear 4kj & 4km,

I think that healthy food choices is a very important topic. It is very important to ensure we eat fresh fruit and vegetables every day and also dairy products for our bones. We need carbohydrates and protein for energy and muscle growth.

I am a vegetarian and eat lots of fruit and veg every day. I cook meat for Skye, her dad and brother. I try to make sure that my family eat all the required food groups each day. We have lots of favorite family recipes but it will take too long to type them!

HAPPY EATING…Cassie

• Dear Cassie

I agree, It is very importnant to
      eat fruit and vegetables evey day.

I like eating fruit, my favourite type
      of fruit is mango because its sweet. :lol:

Do you have a favourite fruit or vegetables?

Happy blogging
      L♥ren :shock: :lol:

• Dear Loren,

I love fruit aswell!

Yes, I do like fruit and my favourite is mango.

My favourite vegetables are carrot and roast potato.

Happy Blogging,
        Becky.

3. Hello 4KM and 4KJ,

Of course, I’m not one of the class parents but I am a regular reader of your blog so I thought I’d provide some answers.

Your favourite healthy meal or snack
    I’m a fan of salads, particularly in summer. Whether as sandwiches or on a plate, I always enjoy them. In main daily meals, I also like an assortment of vegetables.

A healthy recipe you and your family enjoy
    A recipe? My favourite would be microwave cooked vegetables with grated cheese sprinkled over them while hot. This is then added to a main meal.

Your favourite form of exercise
    The hands down winner here is walking and hiking. I have two bicycles but I more enjoy being out along a track somewhere. Hiking gives me time to think and opportunities to photograph nature.

A tip for a healthy lifestyle
    Eat healthy, exercise when you can, be happy and remember to keep learning if you want a healthy body and mind. Our minds have to have exercise too.

Did you know intelligence tests normally assume as you get older, say my age, you won’t have as many answers correct? This means you only need to stay as smart as when you’re young to seem much smarter when tested. Maybe if I live beyond 100 the test might say I’m above average if I keep my mind young. :)

Keep learning.

@RossMannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Dear Ross,
      Thank you for commenting on the class blog. It doesn’t matter if you are not a parent we just want more parents to comment on the class blog. It is just that we haven’t been getting much parents lately.

Wow what a great comment but it is not a surprise because you always vist the class blog and you always write a very big comment and 4KM and 4KJ like that. You always put a lot of effort into your comments.

It was nice of you to make a post on your blog for us about shapes. You always do wonderful posts for us and we love that you are doing. It is sad that when you are doing posts for us (sometimes) people don’t leave comments on your extended comments post. From now I leave a comment on your post when you have a post for us but that is if I remember.

I like salads, sandwiches and vegetables as well. All those things that you like are healthy for you. You don’t always have to eat healthy. Your body needs fat in your life. My favourite healthy snack or food is probally has to be fruit salad with yought.

That meal seems easy to make (cook.) I have never herd of that recipe. But it sounds interesting. My mum always makes hard meals but they are really wonderful. I always thank mum when she makes very hard and tiring meal bevcause she has a hard day a work then she has to come home and cook dinner.

They sound very fun exercise but it is hard working and you have to put a lot of work into it. My mum has to always tell Ash my little sister that you don’t lose weight in one day.

From Maddy

• Dear Maddy,

Thank you for caring about whether or not people comment on my Extended Comments blog. I am not worried if comments don’t appear on the blog as I post to share ideas and thoughts. Sometimes students and teachers leave comments on their own blogs or use Twitter to thank me but I don’t mind if no comments appear. I can see the number of visitors, page views and national flags growing so I know the blog is being seen.

As you read, I do make a number of healthy food choices but I have to admit to a weakness for chocolate. A trip to the cinema usually involves a Kit Kat and a choc-top ice cream. ☺

I know what your mum means about weight loss. While we can lose weight in a day, that can be part of the way our weight changes during shorter times but real weight loss takes time. Real weight loss is when it goes and doesn’t return and that most certainly can’t be done in a day.

Before I first arrived to live in my town in 2000, I had made some unhealthy choices and decided to make healthier choices. I started walking then hiking long distances and never thought of this as hard. Over time I have lost weight and become fitter and hope to do even better. The effort taught me we can all make changes if we put our minds to it.

Live healthy, live longer.
      @RossMannell
      Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Dear Ross,
        Thank you for replying to me. Like I said when I replyed to the first time you are a great blogger and you always leave a comment on our blog and you always leave a long comment on our blog and Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan and the tow classes think that you are fantastic. Because you have spare time and you use most leaving a comment on our post.

That is very nice of you but I think it is not very nice because you put a lot of effort into those posts and you deserve some credit when you make a post. Like I said because you use your spare time writing our comment on our or other people’s blogs or you create a post for 4KM ans 4KJ or other class blogs.

It is good to share your thoughts to other people because that person or people learn new things and then they might tell another person and they might learn someting new and if it is a treacher that learns something new they might tell their class. It is always good to learn other things.

Well at least you know that lots of people have visited your blog. I might have a look on your whern the internet starts working again. That’s right I said the internet is not working down here in Australia. Is your internet working alright?

It is really hard to stay away from junk food. Junk food is real good but it is not healthy as you already know. When you go to the cinima you have to get something unhealthy because you can not pass the popcorn.

When you move house you normally celerbrate because you have move house and you are living somewhere else. But when you get used to it you start eating better.

From Maddy

4. Hey team

Healthy snack- I loved insalted nuts and fruit. I probably eat too much a day. On an average day I would eat about 8 pieces of fruit. I stay clear of junk food and may have a can of coke after a long training session or race to get instant sugar into my body to help with recovery.

Healthy exercise- I try and ride every day of the week as well as two run sessions and three swim sessions. That coupled with 22 hours of PE classes a week keeps me very fit and healthy.

I look forward to seeing the results.

I wonder how the leopold community would rate in a healthy online poll?

Keep up the good work

Hairy

• Dear Hairy,

thanks for leaving a comment on our blog. Fruit is one of my favourite food. I probaly eat two peices of fruit a day.

I get my healthy exersise by playing outside with my sister and running around the garden. And I noramelly go for a walk to the shops once a week.

What is your favourite type of fruit?

Well I have got to go now

See you soon!

Indi :lol:

• @ Mr Hairy,
      Thanks once again for commenting on our class blog.
      Wow, you are very fit. I also like nut but only cashews, macadamia and the ones with the shells on them, you break open the shells and eat the insides.
      I also LOVE fruit. Another fruit that I never knew existed was a fruit that I tried last weekend was Dragon Fruit, from Thailand.

I also like Coca-Cola, like you do. The cokes I like are Coke Zero, Diet Coke and Vanilla coke.
      Wow, 8 pieces of fruit each day, very fit.
      I ride on my bike like every weekend, not every day and wow, 2 run sessions and 3 swimming sessions a day.
      I reckon on a Leopold online poll I would rate it 100/100.
      Thanks for the lovely comment Mr Hairy.
      Keep up the great quality commenting. I hope to see your comment on another one of our posts very soon.
      See you later,
      L16574R (Libstar in number letters) :mrgreen:

:-) What a terrific topic! Healthy living comes from making healthy choices! :-)

Your favorite healthy meal or snack:

I love eating mini bell peppers! They come in red, yellow, and orange. I like the orange the best because it tastes a little sweeter to me. They are all healthy and crunchy! Here is a photo of the day with my healthy snack:

http://yollis365project.blogspot.com/2011/10/303-peppers.html

A healthy recipe you and your family enjoy:

We love to eat artichokes. We peel off a leaf, dip it in a sauce, and scrape the leaf off. Yum! Mr. and Mrs. Morris had a chance to taste them when they were at my house in America. Here is a photo of the day of some raw artichokes. We steam them for an hour before we eat them.

http://yollis365project.blogspot.com/2012/05/131-artichokes.html

Your favorite form of exercise:

I love to practice yoga. Three days a week I attend a one-and-a-half hour class. It strengthens my body and is great for my mind.

A tip for a healthy lifestyle:

Look for joy in your life! We all have many things to be happy about…good families, health, teachers who care, food to eat, cheeky pets, friendships… Every day I think about all the good things in my life and that helps keep my mind healthy. :-)

I look forward to reading more from my friends!

Your pal,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

• Dear Mrs Yollis,

Thank you for writing a comment on the blog!

It was very nice of you to say that this a terrific topic.

Bell peppers sound nice. Did you know that bell peppers are like our capsicum.

Mrs morris told us about what you do with the dip because we didn’t really know what it meant. It sounded really nice.

Well, I can’t really relate to you with doing yoga three times a week for an hour and a half.

When I read your comment where you said just think happy things. Like your family. You reminded me of my mum. She has gone on a holiday to Bali for nine days and she has already gone for 2 hole day. I already miss her a lot.

All this talk about food has made me hungry.

Kealee :mrgreen:

• To Kealee,
        Thanks for replying to Mrs Yollis you have been doing a lot of blogging,
        Here are some questions,
        Do you want a blog,
        What’s your favourite colour,
        What is your favourite subject at school.
        Go to go,
        From your friend,
        haydos

• Dear Hayden,

Thank you for replying to me!

Do you want your own blog?-
          It would be great to get my own blog but I don’t have the time. I have after school sports every night and I always have to go to my brother and sisters thing as well.

Whats your favourite colour?-
          My favourite colour is ocean blue.
          My favourite colour is blue because that colour reminds me of happyness and kindness.

Whats your favourite school subject?-
          My favorite school subject is art and maths. I love them so much.

Well bye for now,
          Kealee :mrgreen:

6. Hi 4kJ,

I love eating avacado and lemon juice on rice cakes with a bit of salt and pepper. My friend gave me this quick snack as I had a number of lemons given to me and didn’t know the best ways to use them.

I love personal training but if I can’t get there due to work or family commitments, I also enjoy jogging or having a hit of tennis with my children.

A healthy recipe – cut up carrot/celery/cucumber dipped – home made. The recipe for the dip is 1 cup of sour cream, half cup of mayonaise, small tin of tuna and cut up boiled eggs.

A tip for healthy living – smile and take in as much sun and fresh air whenever you can.

From Jacqui (Clancy’s mum).

• Dear Jacqui,

Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog.

Eating avacado with lemon juice on rice cakes sounds very delicious.

Well got to go.

Adam

• Dear Adam,

thanks for commenting on the blog.I injoy staying and eating alot of fruit and vegies. The way I stay fit is run 10km each day after school and ride my bike and play alot of Hockey and Basketball.

From your blogging buddy
        Lachstar.

What a great post! Clean eating is so important for growing strong bodies and healthy minds. My favourite snack is tuna in spring water, its full of protein and and it gives me plenty of energy for the day.

Keep up the good work,

Duncan

• Dear Duncan,

Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog. Clean eating is important for our bodies. As you know I am a fan of a lot of foods.

Eggs also give you protein to get your body stronger.

from your friend,
      Thomas

8. Hi 4KJ & 4KM

What a great topic the students are learning about?

Our favourite healthy meal are chicken and salad wraps.
    We as a family love to ride the bikes along the rail trail especially when the weather is fine.

At the moment we are all very busy keeping ourselves fit. We are doing lots of different sports including swimming, running, athletics, bike riding and cricket.

A tip for a healthy lifestyle is keep active and eat heaps of fruit and vegetables and drink lots of water to keep you hydrated.

Kerrie (Sophie’s mum)

• Dear Kerrie,

What a great comment. Thanks for writing a comment on our class blog. I think it is a great topic too because we get to go to the Etihad Stadium, Ice Skating and Splash Down.

You sound like you are a very fit family. Yum, Chicken and salad wraps! I think a healthy lifestyle is to keep fit, eat healthy food, stay happy and have fun as well.

From Chloe

9. 4kj,
    Well of course I have to comment your blog on my most favourite subjects of food and excercise!!!:-)
    I’m definitely going to try steaming an artichoke as I have only ever tried artichoke in a jar and LOVE to try new things.
    Thomas and I love Mexican food with lots of kidney beans and fresh salad.
    We use a lot of refried beans both as a spread in wraps and mixed with salsa as a dip.
    I love being outside in the sunshine and love walking, aerobic and swimming.
    Happy eating and moving,
    Kylie

• 4KJ,
      Sorry, I am replying to my own blog comment to make the correction that it was sent by Thomas’s mum Kylie (not Thomas as incorrectly stated).

“Food for thought”….today I am donating blood at the blood bank which is a “feel good” thing to do to know that you are helping other people that need help with their health!
      Have a lovely day,
      Kylie (Tom’s mum)

This is a great post, I love eating junk food but don’t get to eat it much.

my favourite healthy meals are chilli concarne, wraps and curry with rice.wraps can sometimes be unhealthy but we have it with meat and salad in them.

I like wraps with cheese and lettuce, sometimes I have chilli in them.
    This morning I have had porriage with milk, bananna and vinilla yogurt.I also had some toast.

I hope everyone is eat healthy and eat all of the food groups.
    from your blogging buddie,
    Thomas

• Hi Lilly,

Great reply to Kylie.
      It is good that you did not say that OK that you made a mistake in a bad way.

Donating blood is very good and could save many peoples lives. My dad donates blood.

From Trent

• Thanks for your reply Lilli,
      Donating blood is an easy thing to do if you are able to and it’s a win/win situation.
      It helps someone in need and it also makes the person donating feel good to know they can help.
      I hope you are having a nice day.
      Best wishes,
      Kylie

11. @ 4KM and 4KJ,
    Wow, what a great post, Miss jordan.
    I think this is a good idea for a post, espeacially the ” Quesion for Parents” idea you added on. Well done to the people who volenteered to be in the photo, nice confidence ;)
    Well got to go.

See you later,
    Libstar :mrgreen:

Well, I don’t know any healthy choices in fact 8 glasses’ of water is all I know. Can you tell me some choices?
    Anyway I haft to go
    Patrick

• Dear Patrick,

Great comment,I don’t normally drink so much water each day.

I can tell you some healthy choices, you’re meant to have five different varieties of fruit every day,
      eat fresh fruit more and eat salad instead of ice-cream.

From your friend,
      Thomas

I enjoyed reading the amazing post you put up!
    I think it is a really good idea to have a post for parents to leave a comment on.

There is alot of healthy things in the picture like a banana and a pear.

Tonight I am going to ask my mum to leave a comment on thhe post.

Emily

Being healthy is one of the most important things in life.
    If you’re not careful and don’t stay active you could end up with different types of diseases.

Some foods you could eat are:
    Variety of salads
    Steak and all sorts of meat
    Grains like cereals and bread
    Fruit and vegies

Some exercises are:
    Stretching when you get up in the morning
    Yoga to relax
    Running
    Walking
    Bike riding

Keep staying healthy,
    Leah

What a great post about healthy choices. Miss Jordan, you did a good post. I’m not suprised because they are always good!

Ok now it is time to answer the questions.

My favourite snack- My favourite snack would have to be a carrot, I like to nibble on a carrot every now and then.

A family recipe- I don’t know if my family has a favourite recipe.

My favourite form of exercise- My favourite exercise is running. I like to run out the back and also bike riding. I always ride to school and back home.

A tip for a healthy life style- To keep fit, eat healthy food, stay happy and have fun as well!

Got to go,
    From Chloe

16. Hi 4KM and 4KJ
    I love food you are eating nice and healthy.

I love fruit salad,apples,mandarins and more

I like to have water becouse it is very healthy for you
    it is good for you to have some junk food sometimes got to go bye

17. Dear 4KM and 4KJ

What a great post, It’s great to be
    fit and healthy, here are some tips to be
    healthy:
    ~Eat fruit and vegetables.
    ~Be active.
    ~Play outdoors.

My favourite type of food is fruit,
    my favourite type of fruit is a mango
    because its sweet.

Happy blogging
    L♥ren :shock: :lol:

What a great post. The food and drinks they are holding in their hands are very healthy.

My favourite meal or snack would probably be celery.

My favourite form of exercise is basketball.

Well got to go.

Adam

19. Pingback: Value of a class camera | Tasmanian Blogs