The Global Children’s Challenge

4KM and 4KJ are currently on holidays.

Just before the term break, the Global Children’s Challenge was launched. We are taking part in this event along with other grades at Leopold Primary School and classes worldwide.

What is the Global Children’s Challenge?

The Global Children’s Challenge aims to help students learn about the importance of health and fitness. Classes join up, receive pedometers and track how many steps they take every day throughout the challenge. The students’ daily steps in the “real” world takes them on an online web-based journey throughout different countries of the world.

Who can participate?

Primary/elementary school classes (Grades 4 – 6) from around the world.

How long does it run for?

The event goes for 50 days, beginning on Wednesday 19th September and finishing on Wednesday 7th November.

How does it work?

1. Teachers sign their class up online to join the challenge.

2. Students receive a pedometer to wear each day and a recording booklet. A pedometer measures how many steps you take.

3. Each day, students record their step count in their booklets. These steps are also recorded on the Global Children’s Challenge website and the average steps taken per day (per class) is calculated.

4. Classes compare their performances with other grades on the leaderboard.

5. On the Global Children’s Challenge website, students can explore over 50 destinations across the world and learn about geography, history and different cultures.

Watch this video to learn more about the Global Children’s Challenge

Over the holidays the students in 4KM and 4KJ are recording their daily step count. When school goes back on Monday 8th October, we will collate the results and see how active everyone was!

***************

Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan would love to see the 4KM and 4KJ students replying to comments over the holiday break!

***************

How is the Global Children’s Challenge going for 4KM and 4KJ students?

What is your highest step count so far?

What do you like about this challenge?

What do you enjoy doing to keep fit?

21 thoughts on “The Global Children’s Challenge

I love the great post about the GCC (Global Children’s Challenge.)

My GCC is going really well.

But i thing I might need a new on because, The clip that connects to the pants has snapped off.

Well I’;m not sure what my highest record of steps is yet. But I think it is around 30000.

I like that this challenge is a very good idea and that it can also help you with your number counting.

I enjoy well most people know but footy, cricket, running and lots more.

What is the GCC challenge actually for?

From you student,

Clancy

:mrgreen:

• Dear Clancy,
      I don’t really know what the challenge is for.
      I have had VERY bad luck. The first Saturday of having it I was up feeding my pony, I was tipping the feed from the bag into the feed bin, then it came off as I was kneeling down and fell into the feed! 😳
      Then I had to get some sticks out of the pool but they were just on the second step so I thought it was fine. Then againg as I was kneeling down, it came off! Into the pool.
      😳

Your class mate,
      Bronte 😛 😈

• Hello Bronte,

Thanks a lot for the great reply!

Yes I have already read your comment but ny reply did not work.

But I agree you have had just about the woarst luck out of all of us!

Well see you soon, Bronte,
        Clancy

:mrgreen: !

• Dear Clancy,

I agree it is a great post!

I am enjoying the GCC. My highest score so far is 17,328. I hope to get a higher score than that.

I think that the GCC encourages us to do more sport, get more fresh air and that can help us with our health too.

Do you think I’m right?
      Could you add more?

From your friend,
      Lilli 😉

• Dear Lilli,

Thanks a lot for the great comment!

I am glad you are enjoying the the GCC challenge as am I.

You have also got a very good score 17,328!

WOW that is a great explination and no I don’t think there is anything else to add you have said everything there is to say!

And yes I think you are very correct.

From your friend,
        Clancy

• Dear Clancy,

Wow, 30,000 steps in one day, that’s a lot.

My best is properly around 23,000. The holidays have been a bit lazy for me.

Athletics has started up again and so I am going to get more steps when I practise.

Keep fit,
      from,
      Hannah

2. Hi everyone!

What a great post! The GCC is a great project!

I am having fun in Pakistan, but I am sure missing everyone!

My highest step count was 10000 I think.

I like to go for walks to keep fit!

Have fun with the GCC!

Maha :mrgreen:

• Dear Maha,

It’s great to hear your having fun in Pakistan.

Lucky I have not fegot to where my step counter, and it has not got broken. Although some days of the holidays I have fegot to put it on untill around 10am.

Keep safe,
      Hannah

3. Hello 4KM and 4KJ,

I think the GCC is a great idea. I have no idea how many steps I take in a day. Sometimes I am out walking for hours and can cover many kilometres although when I reach about 20 kilometres my feet can start complaining. Other days I might only walk two or three kilometres.

When out walking in a national park I carry a phone in my backpack but I wouldn’t use it unless there was an emergency. When I’m walking, I want to enjoy the outside free of technology.

I wonder who in the class will have the highest daily tally or who might end up with the overall top count?

@RossMannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Dear Ross.

Thank you for commenting on our class blog.

You seem quiet fit. Sometimes our family might go to the Geelong Botanical gardens. Sometimes while where there we will go on a walk for a while, and then have a picknick.

I ride my bike a lot so that gives me a lot of steps.

I don’t know who will have the most steps over all but if we do check that, I think it will be close with some people.

your blogging buddy,
      Hannah

• Dear Hannah,

Being outside walking or hiking can always be enjoyable. Even when I’m out and there is light rain on a warm day, I have a raincoat in my backpack and can enjoy a walk.

I also used to ride a bike. It can be fun as long as there is a safe place to ride. I would often ride my bike to school while I was teaching at the local school although know I prefer walking.

When recording your number of steps, have you noticed we sometimes don’t realise how many steps we take in a day?

I don’t know how many steps I take when out walking but I did once work out my average speed for walking distances was 4.8 kilometres per hour but built to approaching 6 kph over shorter distances when I can take steps up to nearly a metre each time.

There’s plenty of maths and science in being outdoors if we keep our minds and eyes open.
      🙂

@RossMannell

• Dear Ross Mannell,

What a great comment. Wow it is amazing what people can do. I think the GCC is a great idea as well and my highest score has been: 25,000 and about 600 hundred more but I can’t remember the tens and ones.

I ride my bike and sometimes walk to school. When my brother comes to visit (which he lives in Melbourne) we go for rides to places and my feet complain and they start hurting.

It is good that you like the fresh air and don’t use technology. Well I better get back to replying on the other comments.

Chloe

• Dear Chloe,

After posting a reply for Hannah, I began wondering how many steps I might have taken while out walking. I mentioned to Hannah for distance walking (over level surfaces) I average 4.8 kph. Here’s some maths…

If I assume my average step over a distance is say 60cm and I walk 4.8km in the hour, how many steps is that?

4.8km = 4800m = 480,000 cm

Divide this by 60cm…

480,000cm ÷ 60cm = 8000 steps

This means for each hour I walk at that speed, I add 8000 steps so a two hour walk gives me 16,000 steps and 3 hours gives me 24,000 steps. When I have rarely walked around 20km, the steps increase to around 33,300 steps.

When we also add the walking we do around the house or out and about, the number is even higher. Of course, a pedometer works even if we jump, skip or run so even playing adds to the count.

Your 25,000 record steps would take my larger steps a little over three hours and carry me 14 to 15 kilometres. Isn’t it hard to believe all of the maths involved when we look at the simple act of walking? ☺
      @RossMannell

4. Hi everyone,

What a great post, I also liked the video!

The GCC is a really good idea 💡 .

To be honest with you I haven’t been very active, persides Grand Final day.

My best score so far is 24,912. But inclooding the school day it is 26,000.

Got to go,

Olivia 🙂
    8) 😛 😉

5. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

What a marvellous post!

I think the GCC (Global Children’s Challenge) is great. I have never thought about how many steps I have taken but the GCC makes me think about it more.

I haven’t got a big amount of steps but my highest is 18,208. I think I have got more steps at school because I run around more at snack and lunch.

To keep fit I like riding on my bike. I think I have improved a lot from Bike Ed because I can ride longer distances.

From Skye

This post is awesome. I have not been getting very much steps lately.

I think the challenge is going really well. My highest steps that I have got is 27033.

I like looking at how many steps I have gotten every few minutes. To get a lot of steps I run around my back yard.

from Tom

Wow what an exceptional post, I really love the effort you put into it!

I am really enjoying The Global Childerns Challenge and it is really great how we are learning about keeping fit and healthy when we are doing The Global Childrens Challenge.

My highest amount of steps is…..
    27,735

I think a lot of poeple have got higher than that but it is also a realy good step count.

To keep fit I run around my backyard every night because I live on an acre. I am also taking up netball in Skye’s team for summer season then I will probably stop again. (I used to play netball till grade three then I quit also from grade one.)

What I like about this challenge is, that the whole world can participate and that it is also really great fun! 😀

Jess

well, as I said, my pedomitor broke on the first day of having it. 😳 I cannot be trusted 🙁

Then about a week later I tried to count how many steps I took all day, it just got frustrating. And when I went to bed and couldn’t sleep (for some odd reason), I tried to count how many steps I took by remembering what I did that day. And I ended up with 5,000.
    It was the day of my show jumping competition, so I was rushing around to get feed, leg boots, my helmet, whip, brushes (for grooming pony ofcourse) some I’d of taken about 5,000 steps just doing that!

Your blogging buddy,
    Bronte :mrgreen: 😛 😯

The GCC is going really well. I’m not trying to brag or anything but once I got 20,000.

I enjoy horse riding to keep fit. Oh it’s time to pack up so I’ll see you soon.

Iesha 😀 :mrgreen:

10. Pingback: Term Four Begins | 4KM and 4KJ @ Leopold Primary School