Learning Maths with 4KM and 4KJ

We were recently inspired by the work of our blogging buddies in B4. These students from New Zealand made some maths videos with their teacher, Mrs McKenzie. When 4KM and 4KJ saw the videos they decided they’d like to make their own.

All of the students chose a topic that we had covered this term in our maths classes.

We came up with some tips for making a maths video that teaches the audience something.

Some of our tips were:

• Introduce yourself
  • Talk about the learning focus
  • Define new words
  • Give an example
  • Solve your problem step-by-step
  • End with a tip/farewell message
  • Speak clearly and loudly
  • Use kid-friendly language
  • Do things slowly

Some students found that being a teacher isn’t as easy as it looks, but everyone did a great job and had fun making their videos!

What did you learn?

What do you think you could teach someone?

We are on holidays now for two weeks. We will be back on Monday 8th October.

18 thoughts on “Learning Maths with 4KM and 4KJ

I wasn’t at school today because I’m VERY tired, I got up this morning sat on the couch while I was putting my socks on then fell asleep, then almost fell over heading to the kitchen 😳

Well, I loved the maths videos, my favourite one from 4KJ would have to be Millie and Skye’s video.
    I didn’t learn much because we learnt most of it at school! 😆 But if I wasn’t told that at school, I reckon that I would have learnt a ton more!

I think I could teach someone how to horse ride, it wouldn’t be that easy because I haven’t had the privlidges to get the job. 🙂

Your blogging buddy,
    Bronte :mrgreen: 😛

• Dear Georgia,

Thankyou so much for the terrific comment!

I really enjoyed making the Maths Videos too! Everyone put a lot of effort into them.

I was with Jess and we did short division.

That’s a great way to explain it! Everyone can learn what we learnt!

Have a happy holiday!
      Liv 😆

2. Dear Bronte,

We all missed you on the last day of Term 3. We hope to see you back on Monday the 8th of October. I feel the same some times, tired!

I really liked Millie and Skye’s aswell. They would have taught people who didn’t know much about equivalent fracstions a lot!

You sure would be able to tecah horse riding. As you are horse crazy, you would know lots of things about taking care of a horse and how to ride, therefore, you would make a great horse riding teacher!

Happy Holidays!
    Liv 😆

3. Pingback: Happy Holidays in Australia | Skye's Super Blog

4. dear 4KM and 4KJ,

wow what a great post i loved everyone’s videos i think they all were fantastic.i have shown my mum and she said you all put alot of work into them.

my favorite maths subject probably factors or short division.here are some questions,
    what is your Favorite maths topic.
    what have you enjoyed during term 3.

i hope you all have a good holiday,
    from your friend,
    Hayden.

What an outstanding post this was. I like that on this blog there isn’t just writing there are other things like videos, pictures, PhotoPeaches and power-points.

I only got to see a few videos as our Internet is slow, but the ones I saw were really good. Even though I already new what the topic meant I think the people I saw were explaining it very good.

I think I could teach someone how to play netball or do ballet. Even though it would probably be hard to teach someone ballet I would give it a good go. If you don’t know how to pronounce ballet you say it like this: bal-ae

Skye

I was stunned by the quality of each section of your instructional video clips, so much so I shared the link on Twitter to hopefully spread your messages to many more students. Video is a great way of sharing. After email and a web page, my next major online presence was my You Tube channel.

With an old saying telling us a picture paints a thousand words, a video must paint 10 or 100 times more because they include writing, audio and moving pictures. I was impressed by the way you followed the tips for making instructional video, in particular your use of expression while speaking.

Did any of you notice when you have to explain something to others you actually learn more yourself?

Teachers know they don’t just teach a class, they learn with a class. Some of my fond memories of being in a class included seeing something in a new way after working with my students. Each person can bring their unique way of thinking or doing things into a group.

Even today, without a class of my own, blogs from students, and the comments I leave, have allowed me to continue my learning journey. What could I teach someone? I suppose almost anything we wanted to learn together.

Keep learning and blogging. Enjoy your holidays. 🙂

@RossMannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Dear Olivia,

Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog.

I also thought the maths videos were great!

I would love you to teach me about clocks!

From your new
      Friend,
      Lilli 🙂

7. Dear 4KM and 4kJ,
    I was amazed at how much you know about math for your age. I’m in the 8th grade. And when I was your age would have never been able to explain how to do those math problem like you did. I was really shy when I was your age and doing what you did would have been really hard for me. Nice job on making those videos.

From, Jesse

• Dear Jesse,
      Thank you for commenting on the class blog. It was hard to pick a topic that you and your partner would agree on and also a topic that we have learnt in only term three.

Some people made mistakes and took a lot of trys to get it right. But everyone makes mistakes. Even it took my partner and I two shots to get it right.

There are some really good maths people in our grade and we do have great teachers to help us get better. We had a lot of time to write down what we had to do and practise what we had to say.

I carn’t wait to be in Hight school but the thing is then I will have to pick my two little sisters up from school. But I get to catch the bus to school.

It was very hard but we tryed our hardest and like you said we did a very good job. If you keep practiceing you will get as good as us.

Sometimes it is hard to explain things. The problem normally is that you know what to say but you don’t know how to say it.

I think nearly everyone was shy before they had to record their show I was even nervous and so was my partner.

From Maddy :mrgreen:

8. Hi 4KM and 4KJ! I am writing to you from North Carolina in the United States. I just watched a few of your videos and I already learned a new way to solve division problems. Your way is simpler than the way I learned in school so I appreciate you teaching me! I am impressed with your videos and can’t wait to show them to my students as an example of how our class can help other kids learn new strategies for math. Thanks for your help!

9. to 4KM and 4KJ,
    WOW it looks like you know lots about maths and thats a pretty cool video you made there.
    From Paolo:D

• Dear Paolo,

Hi, I’m Emily and i am in 4KM and 4KJ.

What great comment. It was very good.Thank you for the nice for saying “cool video you made there”

What school are you from?
      Where do you live?

From your new blogging friend,
      Emily

10. Dear 4KM and 4KJ students,

What fantastic videos! I often look for videos to explain maths concepts to my students. I also teach Grade 4 maths. I use Maths Is Fun website and some other ones, but I think there should be a student website for Maths. Where students can access other students teaching maths concepts. You students often explain it better than we ever do!!

Well done on all your hard work!
    Mrs Murphy
    Learning Legends @ Lonnie

11. Dear Mrs Murphy,

Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog.

I agree they were fantastic videos.
    I also think there should be a student website for maths.

I think you come up with very good math ideas.
    Here’s a question for you,
    whats your favourite subject in math?

From your new blogging buddy,
    Adam

12. Pingback: Maths | Clancy's Corner