Natural Disasters Projects

This term, all Grade Four students at Leopold Primary School have been studying the topic, Natural Disasters.

Over the past couple of weeks, the students have been busy working on a Dynamic Assessment Task (D.A.T). This is a special project which demonstrates what students have learnt in a fun and interesting way.

4KM and 4KJ’s D.A.T consisted of four tasks:

1. Creating an an informative PowerPoint presentation (with a partner) about a specific natural disaster.

2. Making a model at home to represent their chosen natural disaster.

3. Presenting their PowerPoint and model to the class.

4. Sharing their projects with all other Grade Four students in our Natural Disasters Expo.

*********************

Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan worked with the students to make some PowerPoint tips. Here are some of our recommendations when creating a PowerPoint:

* Dot points to show key facts or information are better than large paragraphs. As teacher, Silvia Tolisano says, the “audience is there to listen to you, not to read your slides”.

* Pictures tell a thousand words. Use images to make your presentation interesting and memorable.

* Text should be easy to read and backgrounds should be simple.

* Include a slide of references to show where you got your information from.

* When using images or pictures, use Creative Commons images and include an attributions slide to show where the pictures came from.

********************

The students all did a fabulous job creating PowerPoint presentations. Here are four examples for you to read and enjoy.

Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan were so impressed with the effort the students put in at home with their models. Look at all of the wonderful creations!

What did you think of our projects?

Have you ever completed a special project?

Do you have any tips for using PowerPoint?

52 thoughts on “Natural Disasters Projects

1. Hi 4KM and 4KJ!

What a fantastic post! Our DAT day was awesome!

I thought the projects was amazing! Especially AJ’s and Sophie’s.

I did the DAT also and it was a very special project! The day was fantastic because we did an Expo at the end of the day and all the Grade 4’s got to see most people’s models and powepoint!

I have got a tip for Powerpoint, don’t put to much pictures otherwise the person looking at your Powerpoint will look only at the pictures, not the writing. Do you have a tip?

From your friend,

Maha :mrgreen:

• Dear Maha,

What an excellent comment from a superb blogger!

I thought Soph’s and Adam’s were great too! But I loved also loved yours because of how well the eruption worked. Well done!

Other than that I thought everyone’s work was brilliant. They all looked fabulous and had a lot of hard work and time put into them.

But, there was just one other one I’d like to say was outstanding and that was Charlotte’s cake! It looked amazing and tasted amazing too. I think it was cool to see all the the layers of the earth in a cake.

Yes the Expo was very fun and it was cool to see the other Grade 4’s projects. I really liked Meg’s, from 4PR.

That was a really great tip! I will be sure to use it when I do another PowerPoint. One tip I have is don’t choose a really fancy and grand background otherwise people won’t read the writing!

From your friend,
      Liv 😆

• Dear Maha,

What a great comment. Thanks!

I enjoyed yesterday too. It was a lot of fun and everyone projects looked fabulous.
      Like you, I thought AJ’s and Sophie’s looked great. Some other ones that I really liked were Kadyn, Clancy, Lachlan, Liv S, Tyler, Charlotte and Paige’s projects.

I enjoyed the Expo too. It was fun seeing all the work people put in to accomplish their work.

What a great tip. I totally agree. You would over do your powerpoint if you had to many pictures.
      My tip is that you should choose colours that are suitable to your background/writing.

Your friend,
      Millie

i loved the post and the projects i
    especially liked Leah and maddy’s bushfire
    project it put a blaze through everyones mouths.

thats a little saying i learnt at wallington primary my first school it means the project was so good i was astonished.

bye for now your classmate,

Joshua

• Dear Josh,

Thankyou for the terrific comment!

I thought the presentation of Maddy and Leah’s was excellent. I learnt lots of interesting facts.

Now what a good sentence that is! It put a blaze to everyone’s mouths!

I will try to use a sentence like that one day.

I really enjoyed the Expo, seeing every other Grade 4’s D.A.T. They were all great.

Liv 😆

• @ Lochie,

Thankyou for the great comment on our blog!

I agree this is a great post.

I really had a great time yesterday seeing everyone’s wonderful D.A.T’s. They all had a lot of work put into them.

Liv 😆

I had so much fun making my powerpoint with my fantastic partner Maddy! Our presentation was on bushfires.

My favourite presentation was Charlotte’s earth cake (4KJ) and Jeremy and Jack’s Volcanoe (4PR).

I had so much fun making and presenting our projects!
    Hope we do something like this again,
    Leah 🙂

• Dear Leah,

You are a fantastic blogger, and that’s exactly what that comment was, very high in quality.

I really loved your presentation! It had so much detail and it taught me lots of interesting facts.

Yes, I really loved Charlotte’s too! I never the earth tasted so nice…

These were my favourites from the Grade 4 classes:
      4PR: Meg, Volcano
      4KM: Maha, Volcano
      4JL: Zoe, Hurricane

Liv 😆

4. To 4KM and 4KJ,

Wow I have read all the slides and they were great. I also watched all of the photos and all the projects were really inventive.

My project was an avalanche that fell on to cars and Lego people, I used cotton wool for the snow and I used my old shoe box.
    I liked how we went outside and saw all the different projects.

From your blogging friend,
    haydos

• Dear haydos,
      Wow what a great coment.
      ITt would be bad if I was in a
      avalanche. I would never think of
      potting cottin wool on a avalanche.

Mine was a earthquake with a sine saing
      befor and after

from Ben.

• Dear Hayden,

Thankyou for the terrific comment!

What great words to describe the presentations! Like, inventive.

Your project was very creative. I liked everyone’s. They all had a lot of effort put into them.

Yes, I liked seeing everyone’s outside projects, especially the volcanoes!

Your blogging buddy,
      Liv 😆

• To Liv and Ben,

thank you so much for replying to my comment.

Ben- your project of an earthquake shore looked cool.

Liv-i sore your project on the blog and looked like you put alot of effet into it.

here are some questions,
        Liv- what did you make for the project,sorry if you said that,

Ben- do you have any tip for what i could do next time if we do it.

bye for now,
        hayden.

Wow, what a wonderful post!
    You must have put so much effort into it!

What did you think of our projects!-
    I love all the projects in 4KM and 4KJ. In the wonderful pictures that Miss Jordan and Mrs morris took, you can see how much effort everone put into their project. My four most favourite project would have to be Indians(4KJ),Olivias(4KJ),Amealias(4KJ) and Adams(4KM)

Sorry have to go,
    Kealee :mrgreen: 😳

• To Kealee,

thanks for the comment i think all of the projects were good.i liked how you mixed rocks with flour and then made trees and a little house.

here are some questions,
      what did you think of my project.
      how long did it take to make your project.

sorry got to go,

bye for now,
      hayden

What an awesome post. I enjoyed looking and interacting with all the projects. I thurrely liked Kayden’s and Clancy’s cyclones, very clever Kayden with the motor and very well demonstrated Clancy.

As all the project and power points went so well I thought the day went superb.

All the projects were so creative and well made so I give the day a 100/100

Hope you all enjoyed the day.

Talk to you soon.

From, Trent

• @ Trent,

Thanks for the comment!
      You are such a great blogger! (Know wonder you’ve got a blog.)

I agree I liked Kayden and Clancy’s Cyclones. I also liked the day of showing the projects. At first I thought I would hate it, but I was wrong.

Well I better go it’s nearly pack up time!

Iesha 😀 :mrgreen:

7. @4KM and 4KJ,

I thought the DAT was Spectacular!

I think our projects were very creative. I like Emily’s project lots. I like it because it was a piñata. I also liked Chloe’s project because it was a book and she was the only person that thought of that idea.

I have completed a special project before in grade two. We did the Uganda project. We needed to raise money for the Uganda children.

I don’t really have any tips for using PowerPoint but I don’t like to fill the page up with pictures. You want the writing to stand out from everything else.

Your Blogging Pal,

Georgia ♥

• Dear Georgia,

What a great comment! You are a fabulous blogger! I also thought that our projects were very creative.

Chole and Emily’s projects were great. In our class I really liked Kaydn’s project. It was cool that he could make that!

I don’t think I have done a project like this before. I agree with you about the wanting the writing to stand out.

From your classmate,
      Sophie

8. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

I like the post (a lot!). I like everybody’s work. Job well done to everybody. My favourite project that I have ever done was when I was on holidays I complete a mass game of operation. I had to take out the occipital lobe (back of the brain) without touching the spinal cord (inside of the spine)!

Well that all folks,
    Bye from,
    Brandon

P.S.
    I won the game of operation.

• Dear Brandon,

I thought the projects were awesome.
      I loved Kadyns. He was very creative.

My favourite project so far that I have done was proberly the won I did with Sophie , we did it on Sydney.

Happy blogging,
      Hannah

What a lovely post Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan. I like the topic “Natural Disasters project.”
    Thanks for putting the photo of my project and I, I really appreciate it.

With my blog I might be putting a natural disasters post on but I’ll thank you for giving me the idea and I’ll link it to the 4KM and 4KJ blog.

Thanks for doing that wonderful post 😆

See you later,
    Libstar :mrgreen:

• Dear Libby,

Like you sad this post is really good!
      Natural Disasters would have to be my favourite topic this year.

What has been your favourite topic so far?

Got to go,

Olivia

10. @ 4KM & 4KJ,

Wow! From volcanoes to avalanche
    All the DAT presentations looked Awesome
    Everyone looked happy with what they made I certainly was.
    I enjoyed building my volcano it was great fun,

On the day there was lots of exploding volcanoes and wet tsunamis
    It was a big mess! But over all a great day

From James :mrgreen:

• Dear James,

Great comment you have left!

Every ones D.A.T.S did look awesome.

And also they did all look happy with them selves.

I did not get time to look at your room but from the photos they all looked fantastic!

There was a lot of mess especially on the oval and, Ethan’s arm!

But yes we all did have a great day all up!

From you blogging buddy,
      Clancy :mrgreen:

I really liked the post it was marvellous. You would have put a wonderful effort into it.

I loved all the projects but the one that stood out for me was Liv S, Heath and Cam’s on Earthquakes. It was very clear and they did really well.

I have completed a project before. It was in year two when we had raise money for the kids in Uganda.

A tip I can give is when you make a power point don’t write everything you’re going to say on it. Only write key words.

Talk soon,
    Emily

What a great post (like always!) about our natural disasters D.A.T. :mrgreen:

Good job to Adam, Cam, Heath, Jess, Leah, Maddy, Olivia S, Shakira, Sophie and Will!
    But all the grade fours did an amazing job! 🙂

From your friend,
    Lilli

• Dear Lilli,

I also agree that all the time Miss Jordan,
      Mrs Morris always do fantastic job like always!

I really like your comment and I have got some questions for you…

1. What was your favourite thing that happened on the day we were showing our DAT? 👿

2. what was your most top 5 favourite projects from all the grades? 😉

My project did not turn out so well, I reckon the bottles I were using are to big but apart from that it was good! 🙂

My most favourite project was Nich’s in 4PR (I think!?)

From your blogging buddy Lachlan (4KJ)
      :mrgreen: 👿 :wicked: 🙂 😉 😳

What a spectacular post about our projects. They are all very creative and wonderful. Well done everyone. My favourite project was Georgia and Adam’s projects.

At my old school we use to do projects all the time not just every term. I have completed a very special task once and it was at my old school in grade 3. We were learning about sea animals and I chose a sea turtle.

I have got a tip and it is don’t do to many pictures, animations and sounds. It is fine to have some but not to much.

See you later,
    Chloe

• Dear Chloe,

Thanks for leaving a comment on this post! You are a wonderful blogger and I am sure you will get a blog some day.

I also thought all of the projects were wonderful. The projects/experiments were very creative. I would have never come up with some of the ideas. One project that made me go wow was Kadyn’s.

I wouldn’t say I have done many projects but I have done quite a few.

I liked your tip. I think it is good to use pictures or backgrounds to make your power point look colourful but sometimes people go over the top.

Skye

14. Hi,

I had a really good day that day, my favourite project would have to be hmm… probably james’s (noticed i used an apostrophe) i thought it would hit the hut but it didnt it also looked splendid, mine was the one with the pictures and the hill

the presentation was hard cause they all looked awesomely awesome

cheers,
    Riley

15. Dear 4KM, 4KJ and all our blogging buddys,
    The projects were fun to make, at times. eg. I had my project all ready but when I brought it to school it wouldn’t go together.

But other times like when I finished it it felt great. Ow and by the way I did my project on earthquakes.

Trav

• Dear Travis,

It was fantastic making the models for our D.A.T. I spent about two hours on mine but it was really fun.

I Did my D.A.T on a Bushfire.

It felt good to present it to all the grade 4 classes.

I really enjoyed it and it sounds like you did to.

From Your Friend Max

Sounds like a lot of fun! I wish I was there then I could show my model I made before we even chose partners! Well I’m back today (Wednesday) and I hope I can show it today. I made a seismograph (say size-mo-graf)
    Well I have to go. Bye
    From your blogging buddy
    Patrick

What a wonderful post about out D.A.T on Natural Disasters. Miss Jordan must have put a lot of effort into this post because she put four great Power Points and she even put on the photo’s that they took before we showed the class with our Power Point.

When everyone got their protects out of the middle room everyone was going to other peoples table and commenting on their project and I’m not saying it’s but to do that but it was going out of control.

Everyone’s project looked fantastic and everyone tried there hardest and then they looked amazing. It was nice of the mum’s and dad’s to help their kids with their project. My mum helped me with my project and she was a big help.

Will brought a cake in and it was nice of him to share it with his class mates. And his family had the left overs. I liked how when he was presenting it he put whipped cream for the Avalanche and that made it look really effective.

Adam- it looked like a real avalanche
    Travis- I liked how he named everything and cut it in half to make it look like an earthquake
    Maha- Very creative to use plaster to make the volcano
    And Icould keep going on

From your blogging pal
    Maddy

WOW, what an awesome post. I watched all the slides and they were amazing.

I made a avalanche for my project,Will was my partner.

I made my avalanche with playdoh,cardboard,stickytape and some leaves for the trees. My mum and dad helped me make the avalanche.

Adam

• Dear Adam,

What a awesome comment. Good job.

I enjoyed watching all the slides too. The peoples projects and powerpoints were amazing. You and Will did a great job on your powerpoint too.
      I really liked your project. It was effective and realistic. Just what Millie ordered! 😀

You must have put a lot of work into your project to make it look really good. It’s fun making projects at home (and at school)with your parents and siblings.

Your friend,
      Millie

19. I enjoyed viewing your class slide show about natural disasters. I love the colors of your tagxedo.Pink is one of my favorite colors.The peace symbol really brings life to your tagxedo.I can relate to a few of the natural disasters from your project.I live on the Gulf Coast and sometimes we get flooring,heat waves,lighting,tornadoes and hurricanes.

• to Kabrina,

Thank you for commenting on our blog.
      my name is Hayden but people call me haydos,im in 4km with a wounderfull teacher Mrs Morris.
      her is a equations
      how old are you.

bye for now,
      hayden.

These projects are amazing . My favourite project would have to be Trent’s, Liv H’s, Kadyn’s, Hannah’s and Shakira’s.

See you soon
    Ronan

21. Dear 4km and 4kj,

I think it was a great project it was realy fun and I learnt a lot of stuff about natural disasters I hope other people liked it. It was amazing that all that hard work paid off. 😆 I cant realy choose which one was the best they were all just to good to choose 😆 I am surprised how much hard work was put in it.

bye for now,
    From heath

I am at the Christchurch airport and we just flew in. Now we are waiting to get our motor home because the place doesn’t open till 8 o’clock.

Anyway I thought the projects were great. I really enjoyed making my project. I made a paper mâché volcano and then painted it grey. I thought all of the PowerPoints were great as well. I was with Jess and Shakira.

From your friend in a different country,
    Sophie

• Dear Sophie,

Thanks for leaving a wonderful comment on this blog post! Wow, you are still blogging and you are on a holiday in New Zealand.

I also thought the projects were great. The projects/experiments were very creative. I liked your volcano. Didn’t it have cellophane for it’s lava?

Skye

• Dear Aariz

Thankyou for the great comment on our our blog.

I also liked the bushfire and earthquake powerpoints too. They were great.

The natural disaster photopeach was awesome too.

Your friend,
      Millie

I love the post on the natural disasters projects we did. I think everyone did a great job on there project. I think I did a good job on mine too.

My project was on earthquakes. I created a little town with part of the road tilting upwards. I made a power point with Char & Ben.

The outside projects were fantastic! And I bet everyone liked the pinyarder also.

I better go now.

Bye for now!

Indi♥

24. Dear 4kj and 4km,

What a fantastic unit of work you have all been involved in this term, ‘natural disasters’. You have all done a wonderful job in finding out about the disaster you chose and creating fun and interesting ways to present your information to your peers and teachers. I know we had fun helping Olivia do her paper mâché volcano at home.
    Hope you all have a fun and safe holiday, bye for now,
    Katy
    PS I feel really bad for not making a comment on the blog for ages and will endeavour to rectify this in term 4!!!!

25. @ Mum,

Thank you so much for comment.As you know I quite enjoyed Natural Disasters, I’m looking forward to next term’s topic.

I really liked doing my volcano but the only part I didn’t like was all the paint on my top as my friends might’ve seen. Luckily the paint was child friendly, but thats a whole different story.

Your daughter,

Olivia

26. Hello 4KM and 4KJ,

What did I think of our projects?
    I think your projects, both the PowerPoint and models, are brilliant.

Over the years, I have prepared many projects in written project sheets, as books, in models and on computers. In a way, my blog posts and extended blog comments are like projects.

I have used PowerPoint a number of times and can see how skilled you are. In my current situation, I am more likely to prepare blog posts including video, photos, graphics and/or audio because they suit my needs as I no longer present in front of a class.

Now to your presentations and my experiences…

Avalanches –
    This is a problem in many countries including Australia, whether rock fall of now. I have seen an avalanche and the aftermath of some. In 1985, I took a group of 12 parents and children on a trip to New Zealand to share some of my experiences in that beautiful country. As their bus driver, tour guide and teacher, I showed them many beautiful places including Milford Sound.
    As we travelled the road through the mountain valleys, we saw the effects of snow avalanches from other times. The force of the falling snow and rock had knocked down large trees. Signs along the road warned of areas we should not stop just in case there was an avalanche.
    The final part of the road takes you through a long tunnel, down a winding mountain road until your reach the settlement where you can board a boat to explore Milford Sound.
    While out on the sound, we heard a loud rumbling. Looking back up the valley, a huge avalanche of snow and rock was falling from the mountains on the southern side of the valley. Luckily, the road we had used was on the northern side but if it hadn’t been, we might have been stuck in the area for some time until the road was cleared.

Earthquakes –
    A number of years back when I was still a school student an earthquake occurred in Sydney. Families came outside in the night to talk about what had happened as the houses shook. What do I remember? That time I remembered nothing because I slept through it. 🙂
    It was a number of years later while I was a university student the house was again shaken by a small earthquake. This time I was awake but my mother thought it was me shaking the house. I didn’t know I was that strong. 🙂

Bushfires –
    I have seen bushfires close up. The first thing you notice is the severe heat even when a number of metres away. I once had a Gould League group who, with the permission of National Parks studied the recovery of one area after severe fire had destroyed much of the Royal National Park near Sydney.

Volcanoes –
    I’ve seen lava flowing in Hawaii and the smoking active volcanoes in New Zealand but I think you already know this from other comments of mine.

Keep blogging.
    @RossMannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

It was so interesting to watch your disaster powerpoints! I can tell that everyone learned a lot in the research process.

It was also fun to see that some USA facts were included! Mount St. Helens caused quite a problem when it blew in 1980! I live only 80 miles from Mt. Rainier and I hope it doesn’t erupt anytime soon!

WE had a 6.8 earthquake in the Seattle, WA area in 2001. It happened while we were in school and lasted 45 seconds. That may not seem long to you, but when the earth is shaking, believe me, it’s a very long time.

We practice what to do in an earthquake and every one of my first graders done under their desk, covered their head and waited until it was over.

Nobody at my school was injured, but it sure was an experience I won’t easily forget!

Have any of you experienced an earthquake before?

From your Washington librarian friend,
    Mrs. Hembree