The Victorian State Schools Spectacular

Yesterday Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris travelled to Hisense Arena in Melbourne to see the Victorian State Schools Spectacular.

Miss Jordan won the tickets at the Victorian Education Excellence Awards back in May, when Mrs Morris won her teaching award.

The Victorian State Schools Spectacular is one of the largest performances in Australia. It has been running since 1995 and this year’s event featured nearly 3000 school students. The three hour show included a variety of performances, including dance, vocal, choir, orchestra, drama and acrobatics.

Here we are before the show

Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris were so impressed with the amazing performances! It was wonderful to see the variety of talent in Victorian primary and secondary schools.

All Victorian government school students are eligible to audtion for the Victorian State Schools Spectacular. Check out the website for more information about the event.

Congratulations to all of the students involved, it was a truly spectacular show!

Have you ever been to a live performance?

Have you performed in front of a large audience?

What kind of performance would you like to do at the State School Spectacular?

32 thoughts on “The Victorian State Schools Spectacular

wow! That would have been magnificent. I remember Miss Jordan explaining to the class about the tickets and how she got them, I forgot that Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan were going to the state schools spectaculer. How I would wish to go there.

3000 school students! That’s a lot, I knew it was very big, but I realise that it was that many ๐Ÿ˜ฏ And it was three hours for the show, that’s half of our school time, it doesn’t seem that much but when it’s happening it’s like a lifetime.

No, I haven’t been to a live performance but would like to. Well, unless the school play and end of year concert counts. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Yes, I have performed in front of a large audiance. It was at the school concert last year. And for my first horse riding competition.

I’m not so sure what performance I would do, in fact I think I wouldn’t even get on the stage! ๐Ÿ˜†

Your blogging buddy,
    Bronte :mrgreen: ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

• Dear Bronte,

Thanks for your terrific comment!

Being at the State Schools Spectacular was a great experience and I am sure all of the students just loved being part of the show. They must have practised a lot!

Performing in front of a large audience isn’t always easy but it is a great achievement. I am sure you did yourself proud at the school concert and in your horse riding competition.

Best wishes,
      Miss Jordan

2. Dear Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris,

What an excellent post about the Victorian State School Spectacular! It looks as thought you had an amazing time and I’m sure it would be an experience to remember.

I have peformed in front of a very, very large performance before and it was at the You Can Do It concert back in 2011. I was so scared on that stage!

3000 students? That’s a lot to perform in a performance! What school had the most amount of participants?

Well, I wouldn’t call it like a singing or dancing performance or anything like that but I have been to a type of live performance…
    The Australian Open, 2012!
    And I absolutely loved it! Best live performance of my life…

If I had a choice of doing a type of performance at the Victorian State School Spectacular, I would go for the acrobatics, if I was any good at it! But like Bronte said, I’m not sure I’d have enough courage to even step on the stage in front of all those people!

I’m sure every performance would have been mind blowing…

See you tomorrow!
    Liv ๐Ÿ˜†

• Dear Liv,

What a quality comment you’ve written, well done!

We really enjoyed The State School Spectacular. I was blown away by the talented students. I’m not sure which school had the most participants, as the performances were all mixed, including a variety of students from many schools.

The acrobatics were really amazing and among my favourite performances of the show.

Live sporting performances, such as the Australian Open, are very exciting! I’m sure you would love to be on Rod Laver Arena representing Australia one day!

Best wishes,
      Miss Jordan

3. @ Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris,

Wow, what a spectacular, quality post as usual! I would have loved to have seen the Victorian State School Spectacular. It would have been amazing seeing so many students with talent.

When I was younger I went to see the Fairies at G-PAC.. I also saw the Miley Cyrus concert in grade three. That Miley Cyrus concert was sure loud. Too loud actually.

I have performed in front of an audience before. I have done five ballet concerts and six in October. It is so fun performing in front of an audience. I have also done a concert in Prep for school and a concert in grade three for school.

If I was ever able to perform in the Victorian State School Spectacular I would do ballet. I have done ballet for nearly six years now.

Skye

• @ Skye,

When Mrs Morris and I were chatting about the show, we said that everyone in 4KM and 4KJ would have really loved it! Especially when the dancers started shuffling! ๐Ÿ™‚

I know what you mean, I don’t like it when concerts are too loud either. Luckily the State Schools Spectacular wasn’t too loud.

You are a seasoned performer with all of your ballet concerts. You must be used to being on the stage! I’m sure you’ll be a star at your upcoming ballet concert.

See you tomorrow,
      Miss Jordan

• Dear Miss Jordan,

Thanks for replying to me!

Yes, I would have loved to have seen the State School Spectacular. Was a song on when the dancers were shuffling? If there was what song was it?

I am really looking forward to my ballet concert. I am really looking forward to my jazz dance though. We are dancing to Jumpstart. Have you heard of that song?

Skye

• @ Skye,

The shuffling song was Party Rock Anthem. There were two big groups of dancers and they had a dance-off. It was pretty cool!

I have heard of Jumpstart. It’s a very energetic song so it is a perfect choice for your jazz dance.

Good luck for your ballet concert!

Your teacher,
          Miss Jordan

4. @Miss Jordan,

I love dancing and singing!

I have been to G-PAC to see a show called “The Best Show on Earth!” It was about magic tricks. I went last year with my sister and Dad.

I have performed in front of a large audience before at calisthenics. All of 4KM and 4KJ have performed last year at the school concert.

Just yesterday I went to G-PAC to perform for calisthenics. We came third overall. I have done calisthenics for five years and we do five competitions every year. So, I have done 25 competitions.

If I went to the Victorian State Schools Spectacular I would perform calisthenics, or I would be in the choir.

Your Blogging pal,

Georgia

• @ Georgia,

Thanks for your wonderful comment.

It sounds like you really enjoy calisthenics. My sister did calisthenics for years when we were young and I went along to all of her concerts.

I performed in front of large audiences when I was in high school. I played the flute in the school band and we performed at school concerts and events.

GPAC is a great venue. I’ve been to a few performances there.

Good luck with all of your future calisthenics concerts and competitions!

Best wishes,
      Miss Jordan

• @Miss Jordan,

Thank you for your reply!

I do enjoy calisthenics very much. My competitions are normally at Melbourne and Frankston. It is a long drive there and back. ๐Ÿ™

Wow! You played the flute. When I was little I always wanted to play the flute because it looked cool. Now, I want to play the violin because I ♥ the sound of it.

I love GPAC. It is a great place to go to.

Your Blogging Pal,

Georgia

P.S Thank you for the comment! ๐Ÿ˜›

5. Dear Miss Jordan,

What a wonderful post!
    I didn’t know the consert had that many people. Well I knew it was going to be big but not that big.

No, I don’t thnk I’ve been to a live preformance before. Well not that I can remember. Mabye I have (when I was little and couldn’t remember anything.)

Yes I have preformed in a large group of people, first I remember in school asebley. Ms.Garnhams class sung in front of the whole school! The second time was more scary than before in the school concert with more than 700 people! But the last time I remember is were I rode in a dressarge test at Koombala park and I did the same with jumping.

I would like to do a gymnastics preformance and if I couldn’t do that I would do a horse preformance insted.

Well I’d better go!

From your student,
    Iesha :mrgreen: ๐Ÿ˜€

• @ Iesha,

I wasn’t aware that there were 3000 students involved in the show either. The orchestra and choir were very large and when all of the dancers were out at the same time, it was quite a spectacle!

I think most students would feel a little nervous about performing in a school concert. It is a great feeling when all of your rehearsing pays off though!

I am sure you will succeed in many more horse riding events. ๐Ÿ™‚

Your teacher,
      Miss Jordan

• Dear Miss Jordan,

Thanks for replying to me! ๐Ÿ˜€ I agree 3000 students thats alot!

Yes the students would be very nervous.(somtimes I feel nervous for them!)

One the day of the jumping competition I felt so nervous I nerly fell off the horse!

From your student,
        Iesha ๐Ÿ˜€ :mrgreen:

6. Hello 4KJ/4KM,
    What an AWESOME blog you have guys. We are grade 6 students at Leopold Primary School, Sophie and Macy. The School Spectacular looked AMAZING I hope you had fun. Did you know one of the grade 6 students in Ms. Clissolds grade was in the choir he said he enjoyed the experience. You guys should come check out our blog, make sure you leave a comment and show your family. check weekly here is a link http://lpsbeingactive.global2.vic.edu.au/ bye ๐Ÿ™‚

• @ Sophie and Macy,

We had a a lot of fun at the State School Spectacular. I knew that Liam from Grade Six was in the show, but I wasn’t sure what his role was. The choir were amazing so I am sure he did a wonderful job!

Thank you for the link to your blog. We’ll show 4KM and 4KJ very soon! ๐Ÿ™‚

Best wishes,
      Miss Jordan

• Dear Macy and Sophie,

Thank you for your comment.

My class checked out your blog. It is a really nice blog.

Maybe you could check out my blog:
      lillisblog.global2.vic.edu.au

From Lilli (4KM) ๐Ÿ™‚

Wow, what a wonderful post!

Have you ever been to a live performance?-
    I have been to a few live performances. Some of them are:
    Cat Dolls 2009
    lady GaGa 2012
    It is funny because at the start of the cat dolls performance lady gaga performed.

Have you ever performed in front of a large audience?-
    Yes, i have performed in front of a large crowd. this was when i went to acting. we did all different plays and i really enjoyed it.

what performance would you do at the Victorian State School Spectacular?-
    I would sing or dance at the performance. I am going to ask my mum if i can be init next year

Kealee :mrgreen: ๐Ÿ˜ณ

• Hi Kealee!

I know, what a wonderful post! Thank you for your fabulous comment! You are an amazing blogger!

I haven’t been to a live performance yet.

Wow! Going to Lady GaGa and the Cats Dolls performances must have been an experience!

I have performed in front of an audience! In 2010 I was at a Diwali ( Indian) function with my friends and we danced to a song.

I would sing if I go in it. I will also ask mum and dad if I can go too! ๐Ÿ™‚

From your friend,

Maha :mrgreen:

WOW!That seems like a great concert to go to.
    I can’t believe anyone can try out. I don’t think I could have that much courage to take part.

No, I haven’t been in and concert that big, but I could give it ago one day. ๐Ÿ™‚

Leah ♥

• Dear Leah,

What a great comment! I also think it is a great concert to be in and even go to!

I would love to try out! I also think that it is rather nerve-wracking for people who are and going to try out for it!

It would be great if you had a shot and tryed to be in a concert!

From your friend,

Maha :mrgreen:

Wow sounds like you had a great time Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan.
    Next year I might be in the choir or singing, but I would very nervous going out in front of a huge crowd. Here is a question, what was your favourite act?
    From Patrick

I don’t know if I want to go into The Victorian State Schools Spectacular because there would be lots of people there and I wouldn’t know anyone. It sounds great and fun though.
    Would you be scared if you went in The Victorian State Schools Spectacular?

Trav

11. Dear Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris,
    What an excellent post about the Victorian State School Spectacular. It looks like you had a wonderful time. It will be a great memory.

I used to do dancing and every year we had a concert. Also the You Can Do It (Y.C.D.I) concert and I was so nervous but I think I did a good job.

I have watched my cousin do a live play were they do the School Specactilar. And also my auntie took me to a play (just me) because it was my favourite movie at that arena as well.

If I had a choice it would have to dancing or singing thats why I’m doing a dance at the next grade 4 assemberly I’m doing it with Becky and Libby. And I always sing in my room at home.

I think all the students had a lot of practise and that’s why they were so good. It doesn’t matter if they stuff up all that matters that they try there hardest.
    From Maddy :mrgreen:

• @ Maddy,

Thankyou for the terrific comment!

You are a superb blogger and your comment was os detailed.(Just like always!)

I agree that this is a ‘Spectacular’ post and I think too that it would be a great experience to watch the Victorian State School Spectacular LIVE.

I also participated in You Can Do It concert. I was nervous aswell but everyone did an excellent job.

What play/movie type did you go to see?

I think you would be good at doing singing or dancing. I can’t wait to see your performance at the assembly with Becky and Libby!

They sure would have practised a lot for such a special event!

Liv ๐Ÿ˜†

Way back in 1983, the principal of the school where I was then a teacher asked if any teachers would like to see The N.S.W. Schools Spectacular. I was amongst those who accepted the invitation.

On arriving, we were seated in the huge Sydney Entertainment Centre. The opening came with the singing of the National Anthem. It was the first time I had seen such a large student choir. I think there were close to 2000 singers. To my surprise, I knew the conductor. It would be hard to imagine so many eyes watching you as you raise your hands to conduct a choir performing for thousands of people.

It was only later I found this was the very first N.S.W. Schools Spectacular. This means next year, 2013, the N.S.W. Schools Spectacular will celebrate its 30th year. Imagine the tens of thousands of students who have performed over the years, many going on to become entertainers.

Have I ever been to a live performance?
    Yes, many but not as many as I would like to visit. Music and dance brightens my life. That very first Schools Spectacular made me a fan. I donโ€™t sing or dance so my skill is being a member of the audience.

Have I performed in front of a large audience?
    I was normally one of those background people few see. I might be controlling lights or sound. Perhaps I was helping with props or organising children so they were ready to come on stage. These days, Iโ€™m involved with filming local school performances and making DVDs for them. The most recent DVDs were of a 15 school performance. I had to produce over 200 sets of DVDs.

What kind of performance would I like to do at the State School Spectacular?
    I would like to perform what I am best at doing, being in the audience watching the performers and being amazed at some of the incredible talent students have. ๐Ÿ™‚

@RossMannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• @RossMannell,

Thank you for your wonderful and long comment!

I would of loved to watched the States School Spectacular!Better still to be in it!

2000 singers is a lot. It would be hard to keep in time, but easy to keep in tune.

I wonder if they will have a special School Spectacular next year?

That is a nice way to say it. Music and dance brightens my life.

When you wrote that you help children with their dances, I would be one of those children. I do calisthenics, which is a type of dance.

Here is a link to my blog to tell you more about calisthenics…

http://www.georgiaw.net/blog/

Lots of students have amazing talents. I ♥ it.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Your Blogging Pal,

Georgia

• Dear Georgia,

Thank you for replying to my comment. You can check your blog as I have visited it. ๐Ÿ™‚

If I were rich, I would be supporting children in dance, music, singing, drama, gymnastics, and school subject areas. There are so many talented people needing help to bring out what they can do. We only need see shows like The Voice, XFactor and Australia’s Got Talent to see how many talented people could use some help.

As I am not rich, I can’t give money but I can give supporting comments through blogs, You Tube and Twitter. As well as teachers, my Twitter followers include performers. In one case, with many others, I was able to provide some money so a talented Adelaide musician/singer could release her CD. It’s a good feeling to know youโ€™ve been able to help someone working on their dream.

Keep blogging.
        @RossMannell

• Dear RossMannell,

Thank you for replying.

I’m not rich ether but I wish I could be.

If I was rich I would help the poor and the sick. I am very sorry for those people as it is not their fault.

Your Blogging Pal,

Georgia ๐Ÿ˜†

13. Dear Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris,

What a great post! It must have been a very lucky night for you at the awards for Mrs Morris to win and Miss Jordan to get tickets to The Victorian State Schools Spectacular.

3000 students is a lot to perform. What was your favourite part of the show? Did you see the student from our school perform?

Your student,
    Sophie

• Dear Sophie,

Thanks for commenting. It was a very lucky night at the Education Excellence Awards – you are right!

Miss Jordan and I didn’t see the student from our school perform as we weren’t sure which part he was in. We have now found out that he was in the choir. It was a very big choir!

Miss Jordan and I loved the acrobatics. There were students performing from the National Institute of Circus Arts. They were so talented and had so many amazing tricks!

I would recommend going to the State School Spectacular next year. The tickets aren’t too expensive which is great. It would be a fun day out for the whole family!

Your (other) teacher,

Mrs Mโ˜€rris

14. Dear Miss Jordon and Mrs. Morris,

What an excellent post about the Victorian State School Spectacular! I know I would have enjoyed this event. I have performed in front of a big audience before and I know the excitement you get from it. If I was at the State School Spectacular, my performance would be a dance routine because I have danced for many events before.

From Shannon