Natural Disaster Tagxedos

This term the Grade Four students are beginning to investigate natural disasters.

‘The Violent Volcano’ http://www.flickr.com/photos/95572727@N00/3534586145

A natural disaster is generally caused by something happening in nature, such as the weather. Unfortunately, natural disasters can cause serious injuries and destroy many things.

It’s important to learn about natural disasters so you can find out what to do if they happen. This is information you can share with other people too. Being prepared for natural disasters can save lives. It’s also interesting to learn about why natural disasters happen and develop our understanding of science and geography.

We have been doing some reading this week to find out some background information about natural disasters. We look forward to working on some projects and activities throughout the next month to develop our understanding.

Today the 4KM students learnt how to use Tagxedo and created a word cloud demonstrating what they think of when they hear the term “natural disasters”.

Tip: click on the full screen button to make viewing easier.

What did you think of the Tagxedos?

What do you know about natural disasters?

What would you like to learn about natural disasters?

46 thoughts on “Natural Disaster Tagxedos

I did love making the Tagxedos. I thought it was a fun idea sending it to other people and making pictures with your words.

Here are some comments for some tagxedos:

-Kealee, I love the colours and the lightning bolt makes it stand out.

-Lachie, I like the colours and it on Australia (Land Down Under)

– Leah, the words are relevant, (natural disasters) and it looks fantastic

2. Sorry. I will continue.

– Eli, The picture is great because there are words on one side and none on the other.

– Lilli, the peace sign stands out with the colours you have chosen and so do your words.

– Brodey, the same as Kealee and Leah it stands out, the words are relevant and looks good.

– Chloe, I like the lightning bolt coming out of the cloud and the colours look striking.

– Hayden, the word FIRE is like bushfire but it looks really nice.

I thought all of the tagxedos were fantastic and I hope in future we can make more.

I would like to know what scientists, firefighters etc are trying to do about it!

From your friend,

Maha :mrgreen:

• Dear Maha,

Thank you for leaving two amazing comment on the 4KM and 4KJ blog!

Wow, you are very kind. all the things you said were amazing. You are such a kind girl.

When you were writing things for all the people you forgot one person, you.

-Maha, I love the shape you choose. Did you choose it to make peace in the land?
      I also adore the colours that you choose. Did you choose the red and brown to make it like fire or just because you like them colours?

I also hope we can do it again another time.

Kealee :mrgreen: 😳

• I enjoyed viewing your class slide show about natural disasters. I love the colors of your tagxedo.Pink is one of my favorite colors.The peace symbol really brings life to your tagxedo.I can relate to a few of the natural disasters from your project.I live on the Gulf Coast and sometimes we get flooring,heat waves,lighting,tornadoes and hurricanes.

I love reading about natural disasters!

I think natural disasters are very dangerous and amazing thing to learn about. I wish that we could put a stop to it.

I think the Tagxedos are amazing! I like Lillis with the cool shape in the middle.

I didn’t know anything about natural disasters, but from reading about websites on the IWB with Miss Jordan, I know a lot.

I would definitely like to learn more about natural disasters cause its got my interest.

Georgia

😀

• Dear Georgia,

Thank you for writing an amazing comment on the blog!

I also love reading about natural disasters.

Yes, they are very dangerous and I also think that putting a stop to it would be a good idea. Yes, the tagxedos are amazing and Lillians was very nice.

Yes, I didn’t know anything either about them. what amazing teachers they are to teach us that. Yes, also carn’t wait to learn more.

Kealee :mrgreen: 😳

My tagxedo was the last one. I don’t know why I did a hand but its not about the picture, its about the words.
    I liked Brandon’s tagxedo because he had lots of words and because he had a lighting bolt. It looked cool, great job Brandon.

Who’s did you like?
    Have you made a tagxedo before?

Your bloging buddy,
    Trav (4KM)

Wow what a fantastic post about natural disasters, natural disasters are really dangerous specially the volcano’s and earthqakes some people die from natural disasters.Like earthqakes volcano’s fires and much more

from

shakira :mrgreen:

• Dear 4KM and 4KJ,

Thank you for your comment.I agree that it is a fantastic post.

It is always bad when volcanos urupt and other bad things happen.

from your blogging buddie,
      Thomas

• Dear Shakira,

I really like learning about natural disasters too. I really like the volcano eruptions and the earthquaks. I can’t wait to learn about hurricanes aswell.

Do you know anything about natural disasters?
      Do you have any questions for me?

I hope I get to see real live volcano erupt some time. Ross Manell was lucky to have seen a volcano erupt from up in the air. I can’t wait to learn more about natural disasters.

Bye for now!

From your friend,
      Indi 😆

• Dear Shakira,

I agree, Natural Disasters can be dangerious, so you never go
      near something dangerious.
      I also love all of the tagxedos, everyone
      did a good job.

From your blogging buddy
      L♥ren 😆

What a great post about natural disasters!

I think it would be very scary to be in a natural disaster. But I can’t wait to learn a lot more about them.

I think the slide shows were just spectacular!

I especially like Travis’s and it was also great that he left a comment on this fantastic post.

Now from school l have learnt that natural disasters are not caused by humans or man kind they are caused by nature.

I would like to learn about the worst natural disasters known to earths face.

I would also like to see a clip of a natural disasters.

see you at school
    your buddies,
    Clancy
    :mrgreen: 😉

• Dear Clancy,

Thanks for the comment.I agree that it would be very scary to be in a natrul disaster.I thought the slide show was wonderful to.

It is true that land slides and tornados aren’t caused by man kind,if they were there would be a lot of people in jail right now.

I wanted to know how big the biggest bush fire was and how small the smallest bush fire was.

It would be very nice to watch a vidio about the topic we are learning about.

From your blogging budie,
      Thomas

7. Dear 4Km and 4KJ,
    Sigh,my pitcher isn’t on the blog. 😥
    anyway I’m exsited about our topic for the term,I love seeing the demalition of all the bildings on TV,sad that people died,I feel sorry for them.
    I like everyones Tagxedos thay’er awusome!
    Well bye for now.
    From your blogging buddy
    Patrick

• Hi Patrick,

Don’t worry, I’m planning on putting more Tagxedos in the post. I forgot to save the ones saved on the network before I went home. If yours is on the network I’ll put it on! I’m sure it’s great.

Thanks for commenting from home. Here is a tip for you – if an adult isn’t around, you can proofread your comment but typing it in Word first and then using spellcheck. Hope that helps you and others!

Your teacher,
      Mrs Morris

• Dear Mrs Morris,
        Thank you I’m existed to see my Tagxedo on the blog. 😆
        I took your advice and did this comment in Word
        PS, thank you for replying to my comment! 🙄
        From your bogging buddy
        Patrick

• Hi Patrick,

Could you let the other kids know that I have now put the rest of the Tagxedos on the post?

Thanks!
          Mrs M☀rris

8. @ Mrs Morris,

I can’t find my blog? 🙁 I tipped in my blog address about three times!
    How can I find it because I really want to show my dad, mum, brother and aunty! 🙂

Hope you can find out why it’s not working. :mrgreen:

From your blogging
    student
    Lilli :mrgreen: 😆 🙂

learning about natural disasters. It’s so much fun! And all the taxedos were good too. I liked the simbles everyone chose aswell.

I would like to learn about earthquaks and volcano eruptions. When we stop learning about natural disasters I bet everyone will know most things about them. Well i better go now.

See you later!

Indi♥

I have seen a actual lightning strike before. It was pretty cool. But only in the distance.
    Well I better go now

10. Hello everyone in 4KJ & 4KM,
    I loved your very creative Tagxedos.
    How very interesting to be learning about natural disasters. Toms Dad and I went to Vanuatu about ten years ago and visited an active volcano. We walked up to the edge of the crater and saw lava erupt right there in front of us just meters away. It was one of the scariest things I’ve ever experienced. It was like thunder rumbling beneath us…very loud, very powerful and very, very scary! Enjoy learning more about natural disasters, I’m sure it will be fascinating!
    Kylie (Toms mum)

11. Dear Lilly,
    I left a comment on your blog. I got the address from Mrs Morris.

Have you looked at my comment yet?
    Are you exitied for your blog?

From your bloging buddy,
    Trav (4KM)

Great post I really enjoy the topic Natural Disasters. I’m looking forward to reading more Natural Disasters at school.

See you soon

Ronan

• @ Ronan,

What a quality comment! You are a fabulous blogger.

I agree, this is a great post on Natural Disasters. I am too, looking forward to learning more about Natural Disasters. I would like to learn more on volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. What type of Natural Disaster would you like to learn about?

Liv

This is a wonderful post.It would be horrible to be in a tsunami or a tornado and other things like that.My brother always talked about tornados,so I want to learn about tornados so I can tell my brother what happens with them.

The slide show was really nice, I enjoyed all the tagzedos but my most favourite one was,Maha’s one.I liked all the colours and the piece sing she used to make it.

The things I know about natrule disasters are.
    There are different types of lightning like fork lighting.
    A normal one they that you can see in the sky.
    There is also a sphere of lightning that just floats around in the sky, scientist don’t know much about it.

The other things I want to learn about are how big was the biggest bush fire was and how small the smallest bush fire was.I am enjoying our new topic just like I am.

Thomas :mrgreen:

• Dear Tom,

Wow you left a long comment.Natual Disasters will be fun to learn about.Natual Disasters are caused by Nature I did not know that before we started learning about Natual Disasters.

I am going to enjoy learning about Natual Disasters.

Keep Comenting from Max

14. Dear 4KM and 4KJ students,

Natural disasters are scary things and it’s so important to learn about them so people are prepared just in case.

I love using word clouds and so do my students. I have had trouble opening your slideshow, but I can see that others are impressed by your work!

We are having a natural disaster in Washington state at the moment.A wildfire started a couple days ago and is burning up thousands of acres of land and many homes.You can read about it here:
    http://www.king5.com/news/local/Kittitas-Cle-Elum-Taylor-Bridge-Wildfire-Wednesday–166245586.html

One of my friends had to pack his belongings yesterday because his home is on the path of the fire. At least he had some warning, and hopefully the fire won’t reach his home.

Have any of you experienced a natural disaster?
    Mrs. Hembree

• @ Mrs Hembree,

Thank you for commenting on our Natural Disaster post.

I agree Natural Disasters are scary I think the scariest would definitely have to be the hurricane.

I am sorry there is a natural disaster in Washington. I hope it is under control now.

Everyone in 4KM and 4KJ enjoyed reading your comment. Sorry it has take so long to reply.

bye for now,

Joshua 4KM

15. Dear Mrs Morris,

What a great post about the tagxedos everyone made. I loved the tagxedos, it was so much fun making them.
    This is what I know about natural disasters!
    A natural disaster is a major negative event that comes from earth’s natural hazards.
    Here is a list that I know that become natural disasters,
    .tornados
    .heatwaves
    .floods
    .lightning
    .tsunami
    .blizzards
    .valcano eruptions
    .droughts

• Dear Mrs Morris,
      Sorry I will continue.
      .hail storms
      .wildfires
      .earthquakes
      .avalanches
      That’s all I can think of!
      From Chloe

16. Dear 4KM and 4KJ ,
    Wow what a great post I Think that Natural disasters Are The most dangerous Topic we’ve ever had I think there are a lot of different Types of Dangerous thing like Earthquakes , Tornadoes , Lighting Strike , Volcano and many more dangerous things. I have been in a tiny Earthquake at home before with my sister.
    has anyone Ever been in a natural Disaster?
    Who has never been in a Earthquake before?
    bye for now
    Brooklyn

17. Dear Kylie,

Thanks for the great comment.I never knew you to Vanuatu and visited an active volcano, that would’ve been very scary and very fun at the same time.

bye for now,
    Olivia

• Olivia,
      Thanks for your reply.
      I’ll have to show you our photos from our trip to Vanuatu.
      Did you also know that Phuket, where we recently visited, suffered a terrible natural disaster in 2004?
      Have a good day.
      Kylie

• Dear Kylie,

Thanks for replieing to me. That’ll be great to see the photos!

Yes I do know about the Tsunarmi that happened on Boxing day. The worst hit place in thailand was phi phi Island.

Got to go,
        Olivia 🙂 😉

I would like to learn a lot about Natural Disasters. I would like to learn about Earthquakes. 🙂 I liked Travis’ tagxedo.
    from your blogging buddy,
    Tyler 😀

• Dear Tyler,
      thaks for commiting on the blog. I want to learn about natral disasters too.
      I relly liked Tavis’s too.

From your buddy
      Kadyn

• Dear Tyler,
      I relly liked Tavis’s too.

From your buddy 🙂
      Kadyn

Natural disasters are part of living on an active planet with an atmosphere.

What do I think of your Tagxedos?

Brandon, Brodey, Ethan, Lean, James, Kayley and Kealee – Your Tagxedo lightning flashes were shockingly good.
    Elijah – Your yin-yang was the yinniest yang Tagxedo I’ve seen
    Georgia – Your swan Tagxedo was swimmingly good
    Hayden – Your FLAME Tagxedo was really hot stuff
    Joshua – Your World Tagxedo was out of this world
    Lachlan – Your Australia Tagxedo was just like home
    Lillian and Maha – Your Peace symbol Tagxedos were so cool
    Luka – Your tree Tagxedo was a living wonder
    Riley – Your BLAZE Tagxedo was burningly hot
    Travis – Your hand Tagxedo was easy to handle
    Chloe – Your storm Tagxedo really blew me away

What do I know about natural disasters?

You probably all know I can get carried away with comments. Here is a link to my answer.
    http://rossmannellcomments.edublogs.org/2012/08/16/natural-disasters-for-4km-and-4kj-volcanoes-earthquakes-and-tsunamis/

Keep blogging and discovering new things about the world we live in.
    @RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

• @ Ross,

Once again, thankyou so much for your extended post and super duper long comment! 4KM and 4KJ are so lucky to have such a great blogging buddy.

Yes, a natural disaster is a major adverse caused by nature, not man kind. Popular natural disasters include:
      ~Earthquakes
      ~Bush fires/wildfires
      ~And floods

What a great way to describe 4KM’s Tagxedos! Like for the lightning strike, shockingly good!

I agree, 4KM’s pictures are very, very excellent. As they included all natural disasters!

3 fun facts I learnt from your post are:

1:
      The MANTLE is the thickest layer in the Earth.

2:
      In different countries, the volcanoes tend to be different. Eg. In Hawaii, you have lava flows but New Zealand’s volcanoes are more ash and gases.

3:
      The temperature in the Inner Core is thought to be about the same as the surface of our sun.

Thanks for sharing!
      Liv 😉

20. Dear 4KM & 4KJ,

What a great post!

I am looking forward to learning about the topic, “Natural disasters” this year! :mrgreen:

I don’t know much about Natural disasters, but I do know how an earthquake starts. It is when plates under the ground move. It can cause the ground to shake or possibly crack the ground.

I have to go now
    Lilli :mrgreen: 😆 🙂

• @ Lilli,

No wonder you earnt your own blog, your comments on the class blog are very high in quality! You are such an outstanding blogger.

I am looking forward to learning more about Natural Disasters in the future aswell.

What an interesting fact about an earthquake! I would never, ever like to be in or near a natural disaster. It wuld scary!

Liv 😉

21. Dear 4km and 4kj,
    What a great post.
    All the tagxedos look great.
    Fantastic job.
    Did you know that Mt Dandenong is part of the ring around
    the edge of an extinct valcano. Silvan dam is the pool of water
    that has formed in what would have been the crater.
    Lots of earthquakes and valcanos are on whats called the rinv
    of fire which is part of a fault line which is where 2 plates
    under the earth meet.
    From Daryl

Although born in Montana, I have spent the majority of my life living in California. I have experienced many earthquakes. Most have been quick jolts that last a few seconds…sort of like a big, hard shake, but quick. I’ve also experienced long, rolling ones where it sounds like a freight train is rolling by. It’s always interesting to watch the chandeliers swinging or pool water sloshing back and forth following a quake.

One time I was on the telephone with my mother-in-law. I was in Los Angeles, and she was in San Diego. The ground started to shake and I heard that rumbling and I said to her, “Hey, we’re having an earthquake right now!” About thirty seconds later she said, “It’s here! I feel the earthquake!”

The worst earthquake of my life was the January 17, 1994, Northridge earthquake. It registered a 6.7 magnitude and lasted about 20 seconds. I know that doesn’t sound like a long period of time, but it was scary! The ground kept jolting and shaking and I didn’t think it would ever stop! It hit at around 4:30 A.M., so I was in bed. I remember hearing glass break as some crystal fell off some shelves.

Mr. Yollis lived in Northridge in 1994! He said that when the two tectonic plates slipped, one plate jumped about 12-15 feet north in an instant. Consequently, everything in his house that was on a north wall was destroyed. His t.v. fell down, and all the large items in any cabinets that were on a north wall were thrown into the center of the room. Items on the south wall, like his refrigerator, had the contents pressed against the wall and did have much damage. The shaking continued and lots of items were destroyed from just general shaking. There were lots and lots of after-shocks, many of them were quite strong. Mr. Yollis said the jolt nearly threw him out of the bed. When he got up and went down the hallway, he was hit by the wall as the ground and the house were moving. Scary! I’ve lived through many, many small quakes and never really worried much, but the Northridge earthquake scared me.

Do you have earthquakes in your area of Australia?

Your friend,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

• Dear Mrs Yollis,

Thanks for the fantastic comment!

In California, how many earthquakes have you encountered? The earthquakes that sounded like a freight train must have been scary!

When your mother-in-law said that she felt the earthquake what were you feeling and saying?

The Northridge earthquake must have been freaky. Lots of valuable prizes must have been destroyed! The house moving? Scary!

Yes, a month ago, my brother and I were in our bedroom, and my brother yelled out,”Stop moving the floor!” Of course I wasn’t and when I told him he yelled to my mum to say that there was an earthquake. My mum said it was one because my mum felt the dining table move. It was very scary because it was my first earthquake. What was your first earthquake like?

Maha :mrgreen:

• Dear Maha,

Thanks so much for the reply!

I have encountered numerous earthquakes in my life. Most of them have been little shakers. Perhaps a ceiling lamp might swing, but nothing too scary. For example, when the one occurred while I was on the phone with my mother-in-law, I wasn’t scared at all. After I said, “We’re having an earthquake,” I was quietly looking around. That’s when she said, “It’s here! I feel the earthquake!”

The Northridge earthquake was big. When I hear the stories Mr. Yollis tells about the earthquake, I can hardly believe it. He said that in one instant, all the contents of the kitchen cabinets that were on the north wall…were one the floor.

I lived about 30 miles from the epicenter. In my house, cups fell off the shelves, but I had very little damage.

Did anything break at your house during the past quake?

Your friend,
        Mrs. Y♥llis

• Dear Mrs Yollis,

It is my pleasure to reply to your splendid comment!

Wow! You must be very used to earthquakes by what you said! It was good you weren’t scared. Being scared just makes you panic. Were you surprised to hear your mother-in-law saying she felt the earthquake as well?

The stories sound likethe earthquake did some damage! I would be freaked out if our kitchen cabinets contents fell out!

It was good that it did very little damage to your house.

Fortunately, nothing broke or fell down. It was just a little rumble.

Maha :mrgreen: