The Olympics Have Come To An End

After sixteen days of competition, the 2012 London Olympics have come to an end.

Athletes from the 205 competing nations celebrated the Games with an elaborate Closing Ceremony.

Australia finished in tenth position, with 35 medals, including seven gold. Here was the final medal tally:

http://www.theage.com.au/olympics

What was your favourite Australian gold medal moment? Take our poll!

Everyone in 4KM and 4KJ are very proud of the Australian athletes! We all enjoyed watching the Olympics on television and look forward to the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

What was your favourite moment from the 2012 Olympic Games?

How have the Olympic Games inspired you?

Do you know anything about the 2016 Olympic host city, Rio de Janeirio?

25 thoughts on “The Olympics Have Come To An End

1. Hi 4KM & 4KJ,

My favourite moment of the Olympic Games was when Sally Pearson made it over the last hurdle and when Usain Bolt proved once again that he is the fastest man in the world.

Yes the Olympics inspired me do a sport but I shall not tell you what that is but I will say that it’s not for the faint of heart.

I have not a clue about the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeirio. I really only know that Rio is in Brazil.

Well that’s it,
    Bye from.
    An awesome man Brandon (4KM)

• @Brandon

Nice comment. 😀 Thankyou for leaving a comment on the blog.

I did like when Sally Pearson ran hurdles too.

Georgia

• Dear Brandon,
      Thank you for commenting on the class blog. My favourite part about the 2012 Olympic Games was Sally Pearson winning a gold medal for Australia. By just beating Harper across the finish line.

It is nice to start a new sport. My sister and I just started playing netball. And Becky is on my team. I carn’t do any more sport because we do a lot of sports already.

From Maddy :mrgreen:

What a great post! I really enjoyed watching my favourite athletes compete in the Olympics. For most of the Olympics I was in Thailand but every night before bed I watched some of the Olympics.

My favourite events to watch were:
    Swimming
    Athletics
    Equestrian
    Water Polo
    BMX Racing

I have some questions for you:
    What events did you like to watch?
    If you were in the Olympics what sport would you compete in?
    Do you have a favourite athlete?

From your friend,
    Sophie

• @ Sophie,

Thankyou for writing a comment on the blog! 😀 It is a very long and quality comment.

Here are some of my favourite sports to watch,

*Swimming
      *Running
      *Gymnastics

Here are the answers to your questions,

If I was an Olympian I would compete in Gymnastics because I love to dance and practice Calisthenics.

I do not have a favourite athlete, but I do like to watch the replays of Sally Pearson.

Georgia

• Dear Sophie,
      Thank you for commenting on the class blog. This post looks great. Looks like a lot of people are voting for Sally Pearson 100m hurdels.

It is enjoyable to watch Australia compeite against other countrys. It is sad to see Australia lose but they don’t really mind. They just keep positive.

It is good that you got to watch some of the Olympics while you were in Thyland so that meant that you didn’t get to miss a thing. Thyland is a nice place to stay for a holiday.

My favourite events are.
      .Swimming
      .Cycling
      .Hurdles
      .Athletics
      and lots more

Hurdels,Diving,Swimming,Gymnastics and the other events that the Olympics hold so all of the events.

Swimming and hurdels but it would take a long time for me to practice even though it would be wirth it.

Sally Pearson,Naterly Cook they are really good and I like the sport they compite in.

From your friend
      Maddy :mrgreen:

What an amazing post I liked how you put a poll and the olympic medal tally. I think Australia went great because at one point we were twentyfourth and, we finished tenth.

My favourite moment was the 100m hurdles. When I watched it is was amazing because you thought that Sally was going to win then Sally did win.

Did you like watching Sally Pearson in 100m hurdles?

I really enjoyed watching the Olympics.
    Sincerly,
    Emily

• Dear Emily,

Thanks for the comment on the blog.I agree that they did well.It was really good that they caught up by getting all the gold medals close to the end of the competition.

It was a really good moment when Sally Pearson won gold, but I liked the mens conoe sprint.
      I also did watch Sally Pearson win the hundred meter hurdles.

From your friend,
      Thomas

I didn’t want the Olympics to end, they were so exciting but I cant wait until 2016 in Rio.

The Australian Olympians did well and we couldn’t of done it without them. 🙂

It’s sad that their ending now we have to wait four more years until we will all feel the same way again as well as the exciting things that happens every time.

I don’t know that much about the Olympics and the most confusing sport for me is sailing, especially when they cross the line.

2012 Olympic Games were fun but 2016 will be even better! :mrgreen:

Has anyone ever been to the Olympics?
    My favourite bit about the Olympics was when Sally Pearson brang home gold for Australia and when the girls swimming relay team got gold as well.

The Olympic Games inspired me by how everyone said when they were kids they dreamed of going to the Olympics and they trained all the time, then they made it and finished their dream. (So all that hard work was worth it, and that means:

Getting up in the morning at like 4:00am

Staying up late till 11:00pm

Trying their best

Thinking positive

etc.) 🙂

They did us proud
    Leah ♥

I am really sad that the Olympics are coming to an end. It was fun watching other countrts compete and watching Australia win gold!

My favourite moment of the Olympics was watching Britney in diving, Sally Pearson in 100m hurdles, track and field and gymnastics. I do like a lot of events!

The Olympics have inspired me nto push on and no matter what keep trying!

I don’t know anything about the host city for 2016, Rio de Janeiro. What do you know?

From your friend,

Maha :mrgreen:

What an excellent post! I was sad to see the Olympics come to an end, but I do look forward to the Rio de Janeirio Olympic Games.

My favourite moment of the Olympics this year was seeing Sally Pearson win gold. I watched her run live and I was so happy for her when she saw her name on the board!

The Olympic games has inspired me of the way all the athletes are so talented, just give it their best shot and have fun.

I know some facts about the next Olympics…
    ♥~ It will be the 31 Olympiad.
    ♥~ The motto is “Live your Passion”.
    ♥~ They will start August 5th and finish on the 21st August.

Australia did well in the Olympics to come back from 1 Gold Medal and end up with 7 Gold, 16 Silver and 12 bronze. Another moment of the Olympics I enjoyed is when Brittany Broben won silver in the 10m Platform Diving. I can’t believe she was only 16!

Liv 😉

What a superb post about the Olympics! I couldn’t wait to read the post when I saw what the title read.

My favourite part of the Olympics was the opening and closing ceremony. I also liked when Sally Pearson won gold.

The things that inspired me in the Olympics were that everybody was very friendly and Australia won gold seven times! Some other countries (like USA) got forty-six gold medals.

I don’t know much about Rio de Janeirio, but I do know that the movie Rio is set there. I hope their mascot is a bird from Rio!

In 2016 the Olympics will be on next. That is the year when I will be in year 8 high school!

Georgia :mrgreen:

What a great post about the olympics finishing.
    I am very sad they have finished.
    But it is good the Paralympics are starting.
    My favourite moment of the 2012 London Olympics were Sally Pearson and Anna Mears winning gold for Australia.
    The Olympics have inspired me to start doing sport or having a run or ride.
    I don’t know anything about the 2016 Olympics, but I bet it will be good.
    From Chloe

• Hi Chloe,

Wow what a great comment!

I think that it is very sad that the Olympics Games are ovre but the good thing is that there is still the Paralympics.

Will 8)

9. Dear 4KM and 4KJWow what a post about the Olympic Games it so good that we came 10 out 79 that good for as I hope can do Rio de Janeirio in 2016 games ,
    Bye for now Ethan

I didn’t get to watch the Closing Ceramony. 🙁
    I really would have liked to! But I heard that it was good!

All I know about the 2016 Olympics are that there in Rio and they are already counting down!

From Lilli

11. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

The Olympics post is awesome!

My favorite part of the olympics was when Sally Pearson won the gold medal in the 100m hurdles.
    The next olympics are going to be in Brazil 2016, I will be 13 then and I can’t wait.

Will :mrgreen:

This is a wonderful post.
    I am sad that the olympics are over.I think the Aussies did a good job to yet some gold medels, I am hoping in 2016 they are going to be in the top 5 just like they expected this year.

My most favorite moment was when Patty Milles let the Aussies win to Russier by shooting a three pointer right near the end of the game.
    The olympic games have inspired me to try different sports, like javelin throw I use the handle of a broom and then I throw it as far as I can.

I want to be in the olympic games one year with some people I know.
    If I was going into the olympic and I could choose any sport to go in it would have to be basketball.
    I hope everyone enjoyed the olympic games.

See you later,
    Thomas

Another Olympics is over. This was the 15th Olympics I’ve been around to see, although I was only two years old for the 1956 Melbourne Olympics. Wouldn’t it be good to have the Olympics return to Melbourne or go to Brisbane for the first time?

Your questions…

The gold medallist’s competition was, of course, a favourite but I must say, all our competitors gave us memorable moments whether gold, sliver, bronze or simply competing for Australia. For many, their achievements were their PBs (Personal Bests) even if they didn’t win a medal.
    We cannot expect more than a person’s best effort in any task, whether working in class or competing in the Olympics.

To work, to dream and achieve should be a goal for all of us. Whatever we do in our lives, if we keep our thoughts and actions positive and try our best, we are part of the Olympic dream.

Do you know anything about the 2016 Olympic host city, Rio de Janeiro?

Rio is in Brazil, the largest country in South America. Unlike much of South America, Brazil’s official language is Portuguese and not Spanish. Look at the difference in the languages.

English: Welcome to Brazil.
    Spanish: Bienvenido a Brasil.
    Portuguese: Bem-vindo ao Brasil.

You can see Spanish and Portuguese are similar but not the same. (I use Google translate to help me with non-English languages.)

Rio de Janeiro (Rio) isn’t the capital city of Brazil. The capital is Brasilia and the largest city is Sao Paulo.

Here is a wiki link for Brazil…
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil

and a link for Rio…
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_de_Janeiro

If you were able to see the London 2012 Closing Ceremony, at the end you would have been able to see the Rio 2016 performance with it’s lively samba music and dance. The Rio carnival happens each year and next starts on 8 February , 2013.

I think you have all seen what can happen at Rio Carnivale… Have you seen the movie. “Rio”? Blu, the parrot, finds himself on the run from criminals and finds his samba rhythm with the help of friends.

Have a look at the movie again. You will see the famous Sugarloaf Mountain (Pão de Açúcar) and the amazing Christ the Redeemer statue shown in as Blu learns to fly.

By the time the next Olympics come around in 2016, you’ll be in Year 8 and teenagers. I wonder if any of you will be competing or perhaps have the chance to be in Rio?

Keep blogging.

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

• @RossMannell
      Thanks for Commenting on the class blog. You are a very blogger. Here are the questions.
      Have you been to the Olympics?
      Do you like football?
      GO THE BLUES
      from Ethan

• Dear Ethan,

Thank you for writing a reply to my comment. Blogging and commenting on blogs is something I enjoy.

Have I been to the Olympics? I haven’t had the chance to do this. Back in 2000, I signed my Sydney class up to attend the Paralympics. They ended up going but I transferred to another school and missed out.

Do I like football? Having grown up in Sydney, we only knew rugby league. I lived in the Canterbury-Bankstown so I liked the Bulldogs. They are the Blues in rugby. 🙂

When I came to teach in southern NSW, my school had many AFL fans. I attended some footy clinics with my classes and learned about AFL. It’s a great game.

From where I sit at this computer, I can see a sports ground across the road. It has three soccer fields, an AFL field and two cricket pitches as well as a small skateboard area.

Keep blogging, Ethan. 🙂

@RossMannell

14. I’m so glad you all enjoyed the Olympics. Here in the UK it all went down very well. I couldn’t choose a ‘beast’ moment although I loved the ‘dancing’ horses in the dressage.
    I know very little about Rio but would love to go there. Maybe I’ll start saving up!

15. Dear 4KJ AND 4KM,

wow the oylimpics was AMAZING it was so fun I use to get up early in the moring to watch Usain Bolt. What is your Favorite Sport?? And Who is your favorite Athlete?

From Jasmine.

My favourite moment of the Olympics was when the group of girls that were doing swimming won the first gold for Australia. When I saw them touch the wall first I jumped up and celebrated.
    From Joshua

My favourite moment of the Olympics were when the Equestrian was happening. I enjoyed the Equestrian moment because I am horse crazy! I wonder who won gold, silver or bronze in the Equestrian part of the London 2012 Olympic Games. Too bad that it has ended!!

From your blogging pal,
    Laur@