Descriptive Writing – The Olympics

4KM and 4KJ have loved learning about the Olympics over the past four weeks.

We have enjoyed reading and researching the Olympic Games but…a picture tells a thousand words!

One of our writing tasks this week involved describing photographs of athletes from the Olympic Games. Using newspaper photos, students had to describe what was happening in the pictures. They had to consider who was in the picture, what they were doing, the background and how the athletes were feeling when the photo was taken.

We hope you enjoy the selection of photographs and our descriptions.

(Tip: click on the full screen button to view the photos and descriptions).

What did you think of our descriptions?

Have you ever taken a really great photo? Can you describe it?

57 thoughts on “Descriptive Writing – The Olympics

• Dear Anonymous,
      Hello my name is Becky and I am in 4KM,What lovely words you wrote in that comment, yes we are lucky at Leopold Primary School and we have great teachers especially Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan!

From Becky.

• Dear Anonymous,
      Thank you for commenting on the class blog. We love this school because it has a good education and it helps you learn a lot. But it is not just the school it’s the teacher’s as well.

Well it is good that some kids do love writing. Anyway my favourite activity is writing. We have some really good writers in 4KM and 4KJ.

From Maddy ๐Ÿ˜ณ

• Dear maddy and Becky,
        I am paiges dad.Thank you for replying to me.Paige liks reading,writing,maths and P.E.She loves this school to.

your new blogging friend
        Brett (Paiges dad)

• Dear Paige’s dad,
          Thank you for reply to me. The things I like aboutthis school is
          . teachers
          . learning
          . PE
          and lots more

• Dear Paiges Dad,
          Thanks for replying to my comments from Becky,I have known Paige since Kinder and have had lots of fun with her.We are lucky to have teachers like ours this year that let us blog on the computer.Keep blogging from Becky.

I have just come back from football.We won by three points and it was our last game of the season, next I will be playing basket ball.

I really enjoyed writing about some olympics players.I did an Australian bike rider that had just finished his heat to go in the semi-finals.Well thats what I think.

I really liked all the other peoples writing.My favourite piece of writing would be Clancy’s.

see everyone tomorrow,
    Thomas

• Dear Tom,

Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog!
      You are getting very good at blogging.

Good job for winning football. I can,t wait to here about basketball.

I also really enjoyed doing the Olympic description.
      The person you choose sounds very interesting.
      Do you know if he won the semi finals?

Yes, Clancy’s is one of my favorites too. He did a very good job and put lots of hard work into it.

Kealee :mrgreen: ๐Ÿ˜ณ

• Dear Kealee,

Thanks for the reply.Thanks for the nice statements too.

In basketball I will be playing for the leopold lakers.I am hoping to be with Max.Max and I play basketball a lot together we play at lunch and snack time.

bye for know,
        Thomas

• Dear Thomas,
      Thank you for commenting on the class blog. That is good that you are interested into a sport. Lots of boys are intrested into football.

It is good fun doing things about the Olympics. It is fun watching Australia getting medals expectally getting a gold medal. And listening to the news about the Olympics.

Everyone did a great job on their writing. I bet the one’s that didn’t make it on the blog were good as well.

From Maddy

• Dear Maddy,

Thanks for the reaply.It is true that a lot of boys like playin sport such as football, cricket and baketball I am looking forward to playing basketball.

It was harder to beat the team that we played against.We played the Oceon Grove cobra’s.

from Tom :mrgreen:

I loved all the thoughts! They used lots of adictives ๐Ÿ™‚ My favourite heading was I see London I see gold! I remember what that sayings from, I see London Isee France, I see Captains under pants ๐Ÿ˜†

Your friend,
    Bronte :mrgreen:

• Dear Bronte,

Thanks, I would really love it if some-one would love my heading. I chose that heading because it really matched with the photo.

Sorry it was a short comment. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

From your best friend,
      Iesha. :mrgreen:
      p.s good luck on the new blog

• Dear Iesha,
        thanks for repling to me!
        Your a great blogger ๐Ÿ™‚

My heading was ‘The pressure is on!’
        It was on lauren Mitchell, she does gymnastics. It didn’t get on the blog, but that’s fine. It’s good to let other people have their work on the blog.
        Thanks for congtulating me on my blog. ๐Ÿ˜†

Your friend,
        Bronte :mrgreen: ๐Ÿ˜›

• Dear Bronte,
      Thank you for commenting on the class blog. The thoughts are good and they are very creative. Everyone did a great job and it had a lot a of discriptive writing in every piece.

All they headings that the kids made up. My favourite heading was Rowing to Win.The heading all suit the writing a the picture.

From Maddy

• Dear Maddy,
        thank you for replying to me.
        My favourite heading was Iesha’s which is ‘I see London, I see gold!’.

My one was ‘The pressure is on!’ About Lauren Mitchell, she does gymnastics.

Your friend,
        Bronte ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜›

Wow what a great post about our descriptive writting,
    I really liked doing the descriptive writting. I did mine on
    Lauren Mitchell she does gymnastics.

Nice chatting

Shakira :mrgreen:

• Dear Shakira,

Thank you for writing an amazing comment on our blog! You are getting great at blogging and congratulation on achieving a blog.

Yes, it is a very good post about our descriptive writing.

I also really enjoyed doing the descriptive writing. I did mine on Sally Pearson jumping the hurdles. Wow, Lauren Mitchell sounds cool.
      Does she do trampoline?

Kealee :mrgreen: ๐Ÿ˜ณ

• Dear Kealee,

Thanks for repling to me on the blog, also thanks for congratulating me about achieving my own blog.

Now I will answer your question, no she doesn’t do it on trampoline I think she does dancing withing with the ribon.

got to go
        nice chatting

shakira :mrgreen:

• Dear Shakira,
      Thank you for commenting on the class blog. This post looks amazing and it has been done well and Miss Jordan put a lot of effort into this post.

From Maddy

• Dear Maddy,
        Thank you for commenting on the class blog.Miss Jordan did put a lot of work in this post.Also great job eeveryone. I enjoyed reading everyones writing:)

from Paige ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Dear Maddy,

Thank you for repling to me on the blog,yeah your right Miss Jordan did put alot of effort in the post.

nice chatting

shakira mrgreen:

I very much enjoyed reading your marvelous descriptions of the images from the Olympics. It might take me too long to list all of the things I liked about your descriptions, so instead I’ll share some of my favorite words that you used; victoriously, excitement, achievement, determined, expression, encouraging, exceptionally, teammate, and stoked.

I have been enjoying the Olympics very much here in the USA. I watched the hurdles race that Sally Pearson won. She was amazing! As soon as she won, I thought of my friends “down under” in 4KM and 4KJ, and how excited and proud you must have been.

We start school in two weeks. I can’t wait to show my new students your magnificent blog!

Your blogging buddy,
    Mr. Salsich (Connecticut, USA)

• Dear Mr. Salsich,
      Thank you for commenting on the class blog. I enjoyed it as well and it is fun to read. It was hard to chose a picture from the paper because there is so many good picture’s.

I know what you mean there is so many things that are great about everyone piece of work.
      From Maddy

I love all of the descriptive pieces of writing everyone did.
    That we’re all so great and suburb!
    At my old school I did exactly what we had worked on yesterday,but I did it about anything we wanted but it had to be appropriate or that would have to start again!
    From Chloe

• Dear Chloe,
      Thank you for commenting on the class blog. I love love all of 4KM and 4KJ’s work they look so creative. That is good that you do something at your old school and then when you come to your new school your remember you doing the same thing but different.
      From Maddy :mrgreen:

6. Dear 4KM & 4KJ
    One of the aspects I’ve enjoyed about the Olympic games has been the fabulous photography showing a whole range of emotions such as joy to despair; and determination to exhaustion.
    I think you’ve all done a great job of identifying how each athlete may have felt as the photo was being taken.
    I’m sad the Olympics are coming to an end, although now I’m looking forward to following the Paralympics.

I wonder if any of you have been enthused to try a new sport after seeing it on the Olympics?

your blogging buddy
    Mrs McKenzie

• Dear Mrs Mckenzie,
      wow, what a great comment.
      I realy liked it how you used interesting words.

I’m sad that the Oympics are coming to an end too.

I think the Australian olympion Sally pearson uses a lot of expression on her face.

I am excited to try out diving. it looks so fun.

If you were in the Olympics what sport would you do?

Happy blogging,
      Hannah

• Dear Hannah
        If you were a diver would you use the springy diving boards or go right up to the concrete high-board?
        I think those divers are so courageous.

If I were younger and more lithe I’d give gymnastics a go. The rhythmic gymnastics were beautiful to watch.

warm regards
        Mrs McKenzie

• Dear Mrs Mckenzie,
      thanks for writing a comment on the blog and using interesting words.
      I sad the olympics are over but atleast the paralympics are coming up.
      What’s your favourite athlete mine is Stephanie Rice, but she isnt’t been as good as the last olympics.
      From Chloe

• Dear Mrs McKenzie,
      Thank you for commenting on the class blog. One of the things I enjoyed about the Olympic Games is that they tried their hardest and never gave up.

I’m very sad that the Olympics finished today. I got to watch the opening cermony and one of the bands that were performing was One Direction and they sounded really good.

When the photo was taken most of the feelings were happy. What I like about the athletes lost they always stayed positive and was happy for the athletes that came first second and third.

Itis always good to try something new.

From your blogging buddy
      Maddy

Maha โ€“ Well writtenโ€ฆ Even being in the Olympics would be an emotional experience but to win a medal? Wow!

Loren โ€“ Sally Pearson made Australians jump up and cheer for her outstanding effort.

Travis โ€“ It never ceases to amaze me how far people like Mitchell Watt can jump.

Clancy โ€“ Steve Hooker, as in all athletes, tried his best. Win or lose, no one can expect more of a person than their best effort on the day.

Kayley โ€“ Sally Pearson sums up what would be the feeling athletes. After four years preparing, the race is finally run with a Gold as the cream on the cake.

Iesha โ€“ Jamaicaโ€™s achievement in the London 2012 Games has been stunning. Who will forget the achievements of Usain Bolt?

Millie โ€“ Concentration is the key in many things we do whether in sport or when working on an important topic in class. The ability to focus can make a huge difference in life.

Tyler โ€“ With the Closing Ceremony just ending and the Olympic Flame extinguished as I write, I think all of Great Britain should be proud of what has been achieved.

Sophie โ€“ Competing in the Olympics is an achievement in itself as it puts athletes at the top of the world. The Silver medal would be very exciting to win and something to keep and show throughout their lives.

Well done, everyone. I enjoyed your descriptive writing on the Olympics. Now we need only wait 1,454 days to see the Rio 2016 games in Brazil.

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

• Dear RossMannell,
      Thank you for your comment I only go for Great Britan because I was born their. There comming third in the olyimpics I am happy for them :).
      from your blogging buddy Tyler:) ๐Ÿ™‚

• Hi Ross
      I think sally is a great athlete and a great roll modol for all kids to look up to when thay are getting older and that is why I picked her for my descriptive writing and she is awesome.It is like cream on cake after all she is a great athlete she can ran and jump farster then you can take a step.

Wow what a fabulous post, I think Miss Jordan did a great job on this post!
    All the peoples descriptive writings were awesome.

My piece was on Usain Bolt, when he just won his gold for Jamacia. Usain Bolt is the fastest man in the world and only a few days ago he got a gold for Jamacia.

I actually have taken a really good photo at my house. It was in the backyard and I had my camera, I put my camera inside a green tree and then I took the photo and it turned out so cool. The picture looked like it was taken in a rain forest.

Ever since I took that photo I have been taking alot of photos and they have also turned out really cool!

See you soon,
    Jess

9. Dear Ross,

Thank you so much for replying to all of us. It must have taken you agers!

I think everyone did an outstanding job as you have said in your comment.

I like a lot of the words that you have listed in your comment like:

Cmpeting, stunnning, ceases, extinguished and heaps more.

It is interesting to know that four years is 1,454 that is a long time.

Well I can just wait another 1,454 to see the next Olympic Games,
    Clancy :mrgreen:

I thought all of the descriptive writing was great.
    I really liked Millies heading “Jumping for Joy” when the man is jumping.

Not to think I’m great or anything, but I chose my heading because Asafa was heading off the track. So that is how it became I see London I see gold and thats why his heading of track because his under the power of the gold!

Well I better go now-it nearly pack up time!

Iesha :mrgreen: ๐Ÿ˜€ oops:

• Dear Iesha,

Thanks for leaving a comment on the class blog!

I agree, all of the descriptive writing was good. Actually, not good, fantastic, fabulous! Millie’s heading was very good.

Iesha, you are hilarious. I loved your heading. It sounded like a real headline. Well, everyones did.

From your friend,
      Skye

• dear Ieasha,
      wow great Comment I liked Millies heading jumping for joy to and I liked your heading too.
      how did you think of all that writting?
      well got to go bye
      brooklyn

• Dear Iesha,
      Thank you for commenting on our class blog.

I loved your heading. “I see London I see gold.” I also loved Sophie’s heading ” Second is ours.”

I thought the discriptive writing on the olympion was such a great activity.

Happy blogging,
      Hannah

11. Dear Ross,
    I’m Trent from 4KM.

Thanks for your wonderful comment.
    Well Yes,all the peices of descriptive text were superb.

Since we did it on the Olympics it was good because we got to think about what they were thinking not what they really were thinking.

Most people did Sally Pearson because most of the pictures were of Sally.
    Who is your favourite Olympian?

I know people should not have favourite but my favourite is… EVERYONES.

When I made mine I thought about her facial expresion, her clothes and even the backround.

If you made a peice of descriptive text what would you do it on and what would you think about?

I know you love writing so is descriptive text your favourite, it is mine as the same as narratives.

You must also be a great mathamatic to be able to work out how many days till the next Olympics. Do you think we will do well? I do.

Thanks again for taking out some time out if your day to make a comment.

From, Trent (4KM)

P.S well done on such a long comment. And can you visit my blog.

What a spectacular post! I thought the descriptive wrting was fabulous and I loved the describing words you all used.

I think descriptive writing is such a great activity in writing. It is my favourite.

I did my descriptive writing on Brooke Pratley and Kim Crow. A couple of other people did the same as me. I chose the photo because it looked like there were lots of things there were to describe.

Fron,
    Skye

• Dear Skye,

What an excellent comment! You are a great example of a student blogger.

I agree, this post is fabulous. As well as all the descriptive writing. I especially like the title of Iesha’s, ‘I see London, I see gold’. How creative is it?

I also like writing descriptive texts. Same here, it is also one of my favourites.

I also did my descriptive writing on Kim Crow and Brooke Pratley. Yes, you are right, there were lots of things to describe in that photo.

From your friend,
      Liv ๐Ÿ˜‰

What a great post! I really enjoyed reading all of the descriptive texts that got put on the blog. The writers used lots of interesting adjectives and I could picture the photo in my head.

I really liked Iesha’s heading, “I See London, I See Gold.” I liked all of the descriptive texts that I couldn’t chose a favourite! They are just magnificent!

From your friend,
    Sophie

14. Dear 4Km and 4KJ,

I think that the post was excellent I especialy liked Clancys one, it was very good. ๐Ÿ™‚ :p

I think everyone put in such hard work that they should get a prize! :mrgreen:

From Lachlan ๐Ÿ˜‰ :wicked: ๐Ÿ‘ฟ (4KJ) (I hope the smileys worked ๐Ÿ˜ณ )

• Dear Lachlan,
      I think the post was exellent to and Clancy’s was good but my favourite was Tyler’s.
      Everyone did try their best and gave it all they got.
      From Chloe

the new post is great! And everyone did a good job on there descriptive writing. Here are the titles that I liked.
    ♥ Rowing to win
    ♥ The golden girl
    ♥ Another great victory
    ♥ A victory in the hurdles
    ♥ Flying high
    ♥ I see London, I see gold
    ♥ Jumping for joy
    ♥ Team great Britain
    ♥ Second is ours

Yes, I liked all of them. They were all great!

Well it looks like I have to go now!

See you soon!

Indi ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿ˜†

What an interesting post. I enjoyed reading everybody’s descriptive writing.

@ Maha- You described a lot of the detail and information that was in the picture. One picture tells you a lot of info. ๐Ÿ™‚

@ Loren- I liked your writing because all of your information was correct and you described Sally very well.

@ Travis- You described Mitchell very well and all of your writing matches the picture.

@ Clancy- You described Steve very well in your writing. You could write down his facial expressions and his jump clearly which is a pro in writing.

@ Kayley- Your writing about Sally was very interesting. I found it fasanating that you could tell what Sally was saying in her head.

@ Iesha- Your writing was very descriptive and I really liked your heading, ‘I see London, I see Gold’. It was quite entertaining.

@ Tyler- I really liked your writing because you choose an Aussie Olympian, but two Great Britain Athletes. Your writing was really descriptive to me.

@ Sophie- I liked your writing because you put a lot of effort in to it and it turned out really nicely.

My dad has taken a very cool photo of the sunset in Fiji before. It was very pretty because you could see the glistening ocean and lovely sunset.

Got to go,
    Millie

17. Dear Millie,
    thank you commenting on the class blog and I agree they were enjoyable and the post was very interesting. It was good that you wrote a comment to everyone’s that had their writing on the post.
    I love all of the discriptive writing but my favourite was Tyler’s, it was very satasfing.
    From Chloe

18. Hi 4KM and 4KJ I love the post I love all the desciptive writing on the olympics I did not get to watch the olympics but I just would like to say congratulations to all the people how got there desciptive writing on the blog got to go bye by kayley in 4KM

19. Dear Miss. Jordon,

I really enjoyed this post as I am a big fan of the Olympic games. I especially liked the gymnastics competition. The funniest photo of the Olympics is of the world champion vaulter McKayla Maroney. She was supposed get gold but instead fell on her bottom and got silver. She was so disappointed that she scrunched her face when she got the silver medal. The picture went viral. I also found the photo hilarious! Here is the link of the photo. http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2012/08/06/sports/olympics/06gymnastics-maroney.html It was such a funny photo that people superimposed her photo into different people and situations. For example, they placed her face on the Mona Lisa and called it McKayla Lisa.

Sincerely,
    Miriam (Mrs. Yollis’ former student)

• Dear Miriam,

Thank you for your quality comment, it is great to hear from you! The Olympics is a wonderful worldwide event and it’s a shame they only go for sixteen days!

The gymnastics competitions at the Olympics are always interesting to watch. I really admire the gymnasts with their amazing skills, balance and flexibility. I enjoyed doing gymnastics in high school P.E, but I wasn’t all that talented . ๐Ÿ™‚

That is a comical picture of McKayla Maroney, I bet she didn’t think it would go viral when she was standing there receiving her medal! She shouldn’t feel too disappointed, a silver medal at the Olympic Games is a brilliant achievement!

Your blogging buddy,
      Miss Jordan