Maldon Camp

We have just had a fantastic three days at our

On Monday 30th July, 4KM and 4KJ boarded the bus, full of excitement about what was ahead. After three hours, we arrived at the Derby Hill Blue Light Youth Camp in Maldon, in central Victoria.

Maldon is a small country town, with a population of 1500. It is about 175km from Leopold. Maldon is in the heart of the Victorian Goldfields and the town has preserved a lot of its authentic historical appearance.

Here is the route we took from Leopold to Maldon.

Everyone enjoyed staying in the camp units and meal times in the dining hall was lots of fun. There were many on-site activities at camp and we also ventured into and around town for some bike rides and exploring.

Here is an itinerary of our time in Maldon. (Tip – click on the full screen button at the bottom right hand corner).

Here are the photos from our camp. Enjoy!

We had a wonderful time on camp and enjoyed all of the new experiences. We improved our bike riding skills and learnt lots of interesting facts about Maldon during the three day adventure!

A very BIG thank you to our terrific helpers, Paul, Scott, Sandi and Min for joining us on camp!

What did you enjoy most about our Maldon camp?

Have you ever been on a school camp before?

If you could go on a school camp somewhere, where would you go?

43 thoughts on “Maldon Camp

Thank you for a great time at Maldon camp. I enjoyed it so much but I am nearly ready for bed! It was my first camp with Leopold Primary School too. My favourite part was watching you all have so much fun and get along so well.

The rides and walks were challenging but everyone should be so proud of themselves. I know I am very stiff but am glad that I did it!!!!!!!!!!!

What amazing views from up at the tower!!!!!!!

My absolute most favourite part was the Maldon Lolly Shop………..feeling like a kid again myself and watching you all choose lollies for yourselves and family! It felt like the lolly shop on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie where they went and bought their Wonka bars from.

Thank you for letting me be apart of your first camp!

Hope you all sleep well and see you at school soon!

Your Maldon camp buddy

Sandi πŸ™‚

• Dear Sandi,

Thank you so much for the great help at our Maldon Camp.

I’m gad you had such a good ntime and I can tell you I also did!

It was my first and all of the other grade fours as you know.
      It did feel Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a bit but just a bit smaller!

I agree the rides and walks were really hard but it felt good after doing it. It is a gerat achievement.

It was a great view from the top but it was a bit scary going up and down. πŸ™‚

I just love the Maldo lolly shop too.
      I like it because most of the lollies are home made.

Thanks for coming again.

Your Maldon camp buddy,
      Clancy
      πŸ™‚ :mrgreen:

• Dear Sandi,
      Thank you for commenting on the class blog. Thank you for coming to camp with us. It was wonderful having you there. You helped all the students that needed help and the teachers,parent helpers and staff.

Everyone had a great time at Maldon. They would love to go again they carn’t with school but they can always ask their parents if they could stay their for the hoildays or the weekend.

I was ready for bed when I came home. But I had that feeling when your tired all day and then you think I’m going to go to bed early tonight but when you go to bed you carn’t sleep.

It was 4KM and 4KJ’s first camp at Leopold Primary School as well. And we had a great time just like you. Everyone carn’t wait untill they go to Cambrra for a week.

It is nice to take time off school and have fun.

From Maddy

Wow! What a fantastic excursion for all of you! Thanks for the terrific photos! I felt like I was pedaling right along with you!

I used to teach fifth grade, and we went on a week long camp called Outdoor Education. We hiked, learned about local wildlife, and learned about the water cycle. The teachers had the option of staying over night or going home. I lived quite close, so I went home each night.

I’ll be curious to hear about the highlights of the camp in the comment section.

Your friend,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

• Dear Mrs. Yollis,

Thnks for visiting our blog and leaving a spectacular comment. We appreciate it! πŸ™‚

The excursion was great and very fun. I felt like I have impproved a lot from all of the bike rides we did.

The camp you went on sounds interesting. Did your students enjoy it? I learnt about the water cycle in grade three when the topic was Water.

I can tell you some of my highlights:

♥ Disco
      ♥ Movie
      ♥ Bike rides
      ♥ Walking up Mount Tarrangower
      ♥ The meals we had
      ♥ Lolly shop

I enjoyed heaps of things!

Your blogging buddy from down under,
      Skye

• Dear Mrs Yollis,
      Thank you for commenting on the class blog. We all said wow when we arrived at the Blue Light Youth Camp. And I’m glad I did because it was so much fun.I could stay there for a year.

It was very exciting for everyone becuse it was our first camp with school and some people’s first time away from their parents for three days.

You must of had a great time looking a the photo’s because I sure did. It makes you want to ask your family if you could stay for the weekend our even maybe the hoildays.

It is nice that you felt that you mwere riding right next to us. It would be nice if you were actally were riding right next to us. You would of had a great time just like we did.

The Outdoor Education would of been a lot of fun. When you go out oof school it is good that your still learing new things as well as having a lot of fun.

From your blogging buddy
      Maddy :mrgreen:

camp sounded so much fun. I wish I could have been there. The disco and the night walk sounded exciting too. It looks like everyone had a great time, there was a lot of photos too. I think I will go to the next camp also.

Here are some questions for students:
    .What did you think of camp?
    .What was your favourite bit at camp?
    .Do you think grade six camp will be better than grade four camp?

Well I must go now.

See you next time!

Indi πŸ˜† 😎

• Dear Indi,
      Wow, what a great comment.
      I realy liked it how you asked some qustions.

I thought camp was awesome.
      My favourite bit about camp was the disco and I realy enjoyed the night walk.
      I don’t know if grade six camp will be better but what my brother tells me it is awesome. It is more days so you do more things.

Got to go,
      Hannah

4. Dear 4KJ & 4KM,

I’m so happy to hear that you had such a great time away on camp. Skye has told us all about it and it sounds like a wonderful experience!

I love all of the photos, well done to Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris for capturing all of these! We can certainly see that you were busy doing lots of fun things.

I’m sure you were all worn out Wednesday night but hopefully you recovered after a good nights sleep.

I did go on a few camps when I was at school. The highlight camp for me was the Year 10 Snow Trip. We stayed in Mansfield for 3 nights and went skiing every day, now that was fun!

I hope you enjoy discussing your camp in class and concluding Bike Ed.

Cheers,

Cassie πŸ™‚

• Dear Mum,

Thanks for visiting our class blog and leaving a magnificent comment! πŸ™‚

It was a wonderful camp and I would be happy to go on another camp there. There are so many things you can do there.

It was great that Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan took all of these photos. I will be looking at this post all of the time.

Yes, I was very tired last night. That’s why I had a very good sleep.

That snow trip you did in year 10 sounds like fun. Were you good at skiing? If I went I wouldn’t be good at all. I would probably get better though.

From your daughter,
      Skye

5. Dear 4KJ and 4KM

Your camp sounded awesome. I wish I could have been there, I can not wait till Grade 4. It looks like everyone had a great time.

Love from Kayla
    P.S I really miss you

• Dear Kayla,

Hi I’m Jess from 4KJ!

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on our blog you are a really great blogger!

Camp was so cool I really loved everything about it. But the thing I loved the most was probably riding on the BMX track.

See you soon,
      Jess πŸ˜†
      PS: I think you will love it!

• Dear Marellous Merewether Hights,

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on our blog, you are fabulous bloggers!

Camp was really good I just wish I could go again. I lso can’t believe you are going on camp too. You will have a great time!

I t is not that scary being away from home because you forget about everything when you are having so much fun.

Jess 😎

well I hear in the comments that everyone has enjoyed grade four camp. I do hope to go next time. It really does sound fun!

If I went to camp then I bet my favourite part would have been the disco and the night walk. I have never been on a school camp before but it sounds exciting. And if I had to go on a school camp I would go to……
    I don’t know!

Were would you go if you were to orginise a school camping trip?

I hope you leave a reply.

See you later alligater!

Indi πŸ˜€

• Dear Indi,
      If I was to orginise a camp I would go to Blue Light camp again because I loved it so much I could go there again.
      Are you going to our next camp?
      Where do you thing we are going next time?
      Hope you come next time,
      Trav πŸ™‚

Wow what an awesome post about camp I really liked camp, I wished that we could stay there for one more day. The walk to Mount Tarrangower was really fun and exsusting my right leg started hurting my favourite part at camp was when we had the dico. The thing that I bought at the lolly shop was Gorllia Gum it was delectible my favourite free time activity was riding around the track.

from

shakira (Shazza) :mrgreen:

• Dear Shazza,

I know right! I also liked camp, I wish we could stay there for 3 more days!

I also thought the walk to Mt Tarrangower was fun but exshausting and my right ankle started to ache!

My favourite part of camp was also the disco and the DVD.

I didn’t buy anything at the Lolly Shop but I really wanted to get the Wicked Fizz and Gorilla Gum.

My favourite free time activity was also riding around the track and going aroung the obstacle course.

From your friend,

Maha :mrgreen:

• Dear Maha,

Thanks for repling to me on the blog. My right leg started to hurt too, Mt Tarrangower was exshausting. It was a shame that you couldn’t get what you wanted at the lolly shop. The thing that I got at the lolly shop was gorllia gum I only got one thing because I didn’t have enough money.

from

shakira :mrgreen:

Wow! What an entertaining post about camp. I really, really enjoyed camp in Maldon. I slept in a cabin with: Char, Millie, me and Emily in 4KM. In our whole unit, there were 16 people!

Riding to the BMX Track was so fun. The little hills and humps were so cool. It was that good, I didn’t stop for a break!

I think the lolly shop was a big, big highlight for everyone. When I walked into the shop, my eyes lit up with excitement. I also enjoyed answering the questions about the town that day.

Mt Tarrangower was so hard to climb to the top of, but it was worth it as the view was very rewarding. I learnt lots about it.

If I could choose anywhere to go for a school camp, it would just have to be Sydney! (Even though it’s way too far away, I know it’s never going to happen!) When I went to Sydney, I loved the Opera House, the Harbour Bridge and the ferrys. I liked the fact that there were so many exciting tourist attractions to see.

Thanks so much to the parent helpers. We couldn’t have gone without you!

Liv πŸ™‚

What a spectacular set of photos you’ve been able to share with us. I can see as well as bike ed., you’ve had outdoor activities and adventures, great meals and even a chance to visit a lolly shop a little like the one in my town.

Over the years, I’ve been on many camps both in scouting, as a student like yourselves, and as a teacher. I’ve always managed to have fun even on one trip where my bus of the two was dubbed the chunder bus. On that camp, we were almost two hours late back at school and were met by smiling parents who knew why we were delayed.

My first camp as a full time teacher was back in 1981. I was in a small isolated school north of Nyngan with about twenty children who only had me as their teacher (poor children). We joined five other small schools and travelled to Newcastle. For some children, this was the first time they had seen the sea.

My second year at the school had us travelling to Bathurst. Not only was it a chance to experience the old gold fields similar to your visit, we were there to see the Queen. Delayed for two hours, hundreds of children waited. Even a police helicopter overhead had a cheer.

When finally the Queen arrived, the police let me through the security barrier. They saw i had a video camera and thought I was from a television station. I was able to stand so close I could have reached out and touched her but I was more worried about my toes. When I looked down, the car tyre had missed my toes by only a few centimetres. Back then, few people had video cameras.

More camps came along over the years. They taught me camps can not only be fun, they form lifelong memories. Perhaps one day you’ll have children going on a school camp and will find memories flooding back of your time in Maldon.

Thank you for sharing.
    @RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

10. @ Ross,

Thankyou for your detailed comment. It was really good.

We did take a lot of photos at camp. As well as Bike ED, we did do a lot of other activities that you listed.

Camp is very fun. I’m looking forward to my next camp. You must have been on a lot of camps and now would be very experienced. Being in a ‘Chunder Bus’ is not what I would have bargained for. I’m sure the parents would have realised why you were delayed.

Your first camp as a teacher was a very long time ago. If my calculations are correct is was excatly 31 years ago. πŸ™‚ I’m sure the children were very glad to have you as a teacher. It’s always great on your first time by the sea. I’m sure the children had loads of fun.

Wow, going to Bathurst and getting to see the Queen is a great experience. Goldfeilds are really fun. I enjoyed going gold paning in Sovergin Hill located in Ballarat. It was fun. I found a few small nuggets even! The children must have been very pationt at such an exciting moment. Being able to see the Queen is a once in a life time experience.

What a funny story, The police thought you were from the television station! πŸ˜† You were very lcky to get close to the Queen. I’m sure that I would have been more worried about my toes too. getting your toes run over by a car in front of the Queen would not of been nice.

I’m looking forward to the other camps over the years. Maybe I will be able to tell my children how fun camp is when I’m older (much older).

Bye for now and thanks again,
    Millie 4KJ πŸ™‚

• Dear Millie,

Thank you for a reply as detailed as my comment. πŸ™‚

Over the years, I have seen the Queen a number of times. On another occasion, I took my Kindergarten (Prep) children to see the Queen in Bankstown, Sydney. I think that was in 1980.

Traditionally, the Queen would walk along the right side and Prince Phillip on the left side of the road. As we needed to be near a toilet for the littlies in my class, we had to be on the left. Prince Phillip spoke to one of the excited children.

I have also been to Sovereign Hill. It is one of the best replica gold rush settlements I have seen. Ballarat also is interesting because of the Eureka Stockade rebellion.

While they lost their fight, it set Australia on a path of greater democracy. All men were later given the right to vote in Victoria. Women had to wait till 1902 to gain the vote in the newly formed nation of Australia.

Keep blogging and enjoy every chance you have to go on camps. πŸ™‚

@RossMannell
      Teacher, NSW, Australia

• Dear Ross,

Thankyou for you reply. You must take a lot of time to write/reply on our blog.

I’m sure the little preps would have been beside themselves to see the Queen and Prince Philip. The little prep that had a conversation with Prince Philip must remember that as an exciting memory.

Yes, Ballarat is a great historical place. My mum grew up in Ballarat so we go down there to see my Nana, Grandad, Great Grandma, Great Grandpa, my cousin, Aunty and Uncle.

I have never heard of the Eureka Stockade rebellion. It does sound interesting though.

What an interesting fact. There is something new I learnt today.

Your friend,
        Millie 4KJ

I loved camp it was so much fun :). Number one is visiting the lolly shop their was so much lollies in that little shop. Number two is going on the night walk it was a nice long walk :). Number three is probaly going on long bike rides πŸ™‚
    from your student Tyler πŸ™‚

What a great blog post! I bet Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan put a heap of effort into it.

I enjoyed the Mount Tarrangower walk. On the way up, I felt tired and fell behind to the back. Luckily Min, (One of the helpers) said to walk backwards and it won’t put so much preshure on your legs.

When we got to the top of Mount Tarrangower I climbed the tower. I first got to the first level. I had to wait for the people to come down. When I got to the very top I was frightend.

Your Blogging Buddy,

Georgia

:mrgreen:

The 2012 grade 4 camp was great fun, I never wanted it to end. :mrgreen:
    These are some of my favourite things:

Climbing Mount Tannangower
    Walking to the top of the tower
    Going on the night walk
    Going to the lolly shop
    Seeing lots of minesharfts
    Etc

The food and cabins were great and it was fun playing in the backyard.

On the last night we had the disco and the movie that was my favourite night.
    At the disco nearly everyone made a performance like singing and dancing.

Bike Ed camp was the best I wish I could do it all again! πŸ™‚

Wish we could go on more camps like this,
    Leah πŸ™‚

I didn’t go on the “Moldon Camp” but it sounded really really really fun!

Instead, On Monday I stayed home with my mum and my brother, Jake. But my mum had to take my nonno to the docters after that we took my aunty to a special docter.

The next day my mum and I went to town to do some shopping, we met my other aunty there for cofee.

The last day of camp I went to my mum”s shop, Wish Fish, and helped her there.

I hope you all had a great time,
    From Lilli πŸ˜† :mrgreen: πŸ™‚ =)

I love the post.
    I enjoyed the Mount Tarrangower walk and all of the bike rides.
    No, I have never been to a school camp before
    the school camp.
    From you bloggind buddy Becky.

16. Hi Everyone at Leopold,

We have just looked at your photos and comments regarding the time you spent at camp. It is wonderful to see everyone having a good time and enjoying all the outdoor activities that we provide. Looking over the photos I was most impressed with the hut building. The creativity you all showed was fantastic. Its amazing what you can create with your own imagination. Ric was most jelous of all the photos taken at the lolly shop ( he has a sweet tooth). It is a pleasure to have your school come to our camp every year and we look forward to seeing you again next year. Regards Denise & Ric.
    Victorian Blue Light Youth Camp

• Dear Denise and Ric,

Thanks for visiting our blog and leaving a terrific comment! We appreciate it. πŸ™‚

I had heaps of fun at the Maldon Blue Light Youth Camp. There are so many fun activities there. I would love to go back.

The hut building was very fun. It was a great activity to do outside.

The lolly shop was fun to go to. I couldn’t decide on what I wanted to get. There were so many varieties.

Thanks again for your comment!

Skye (4KJ)

17. To Mrs Morris,
    That was a great camp. My favourite part of the camp was the night walk and seeing the Roos + potholes.
    I hope you had fun as well as me and others.
    From your friend Chloe

• Dear Chloe,

Thank you so much for commenting from home!

The night walk was a lot of fun. It was pretty cold but we warmed up when we got walking – especially up that steep hill!

What was your favourite meal on camp?

Best wishes,
      Mrs Mβ˜€rris

18. Hi Leopold,

Fantastic to see so many positive comments regarding our camp. It was a pleasure to have so many polite, well behaved and enthusiastic students stay with us. They have continued to excel the previous high standards set by Leopold Primary School in the past. Its a pleasure to have your school attend our camp and I look forward to meeting next year’s group. Cheers for now. Michael. Camp Manager.

• Dear Michael,
      Your comment was great.

I thought the camp was great, as well as everyone did. On the first day of camp I was very excited to see what my unit looked like. In my opinion I thought the units were great. I was in the small girls unit. It was so amazing to have two bedrooms, a heater,a bathroom and a mini kitchen in one unit.

I loved it how you and everyone else was so nice and kind.

The food was delicious.

Happy Blogging,
      Hannah

I loved the camp a lot that I can’t expaine how much! πŸ™‚

First I would like to say a big Thanks to teachers, pearent helpers, Ric, Michel and everyone who helped out.

Some things that I enjoyed about our Maldon camp were:

Climbing Mount Tarrangower, the BMX track, Ric and the night walk.

I must say I did love every thing we did! :mrgreen:

If I could ever go on a camp with school again apart from grade 6 camp I would go to Darwin.

I hope every one had a great time,
    Clancy :mrgreen:
    P.S Thanks so much Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris.

I loved camp! It was great πŸ™‚ It must have taken a long time to organise it.
    That slide show seemed to go on forever! But it was worth it.
    The thing that I enjoyed most was the lolly shop, night walk, Mount Tarrangower and about everthing else! But it was very very exuhsting.

Your blogging buddy,
    Bronte πŸ˜† :mrgreen: 😐

I really enjoyed the Maldon camp!
    Here are some things that I enjoyed at camp:
    ♥ The disco
    ♥ movie
    ♥ BMX track

From your blogging friend,
    Laura :mrgreen:

22. Dear everyone,

I really enjoyed camp and I thought it was fun! πŸ™‚
    It was really funny when Policeman Ric got lamingtons for us and he shaked the coconut onto our heads so he new wich one of us already had a lamington.

I just can’t put how much fun I had at camp into words (obviously)

From Lachlan :wicked:

23. Pingback: Term Two Reflection | Yunus's Blog