Interviews with Aussie Olympians

Olympic fever has hit in 4KM and 4KJ and we can’t wait for the Games to begin! 

This week we researched, scripted and filmed an interview with a famous Australian Olympian from history.

We were inspired by the biography interviews that Mr Avery’s class worked on last year.

The students had one hour to research their Olympian and 40 minutes to create a script and rehearse. The results in such a short amount of time were magnificent!

Check out the videos of our interviews with Olympians.

What did you think of the interviews?

Can you share any facts about an Australian Olympian?

Who is your favourite Olympian?

14 thoughts on “Interviews with Aussie Olympians

1. Wow you all did such a great job.
    Kadyns Grandpa and Great Grandpa used to run with Steve Moneghetti.
    They where in the same team in a run called “Around the Bay”

• Dear Tracy,

Thank you, I think we all did a FANTASTIC job!

Wow, that is really cool. Kadyn’s Grandpa and Great Grandpa got to be on Steve Moneghetti’s team and run with him!

From your new friend
      Lilli :mrgreen: 🙂 😆

2. Dear 4KM and 4KJ
    It seems that you all work very effectively under time pressure! Well done for the interesting interviews. Even though I’m a New Zealander I recognised the names of many of your Australian athletes.
    I don’t usually watch a lot of sports but I will over the next two weeks. I especially enjoy the gymnastics, but all sport-watching becomes compelling when so many athletes are trying their hardest.
    Good luck to your Aussie athletes – as long as they are not up against a New Zealander for a gold 🙂

warm regards
    Mrs McKenzie

• Dear Mrs McKenzie,

Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog! It was wonderful and we appreciate it!

The interviews was a very fun activity to work on! I would love to do it again.

I watch a bit of sport sometimes like netball and football.

I will definitely be watching the Olympics! It is such an exciting event. Nearly everyone is talking about it. I think I will be watching most events.

Skye

3. Hi 4KJ,

Well done to you all on your interviews.
    When Clancy told me you all had only a limited time to prepare for the interviews I was surprised. But after seeing them all, you all did so well and looked like you enjoyed this project very much.

Love the yellow (ooops orange hair) Steve Hooker. Great job Clanc and Max.

Some Olympic facts of interest that I know are as follows:

– My daugter Zali was named after the great Zali Steggle. A down hill skiier for the Winter Olympics.
    – The Olympic flag for the Sydney Olympics passed through the streets of Geelong on the morning of my daughter Zali’s birth in 2000.

My favourite Olympian would be Lauren Jackson at the moment. She was so gracious and pleasantly surprised when she was announced as being the official flag bearer to represent Australia in the opening ceremony at the London games this year. She is a 4 time Olympic athlete.

• @Jacqui,
      Wow what a great comment!
      Thank-you on our interviews 🙂 . I was surprised as well when I realized 😉 I agree Clancy and Max did an ace job.
      They are interesting facts about Zali and The Olympics.
      Here a question for you:
      What sport does Lauren Jackson play?

Happy Blogging.
      Your pal,
      Libst@r

You interviewed past Olympians? What an opportunity and the Olympians still look so young. 🙂

I can see by the interviews you have been researching Olympians. It can be hard to role play someone but you all were very impressive.

The closest I ever came to having a connection to the Olympics was when I was learning to swim. My coach at the time was also an Olympic coach. He instructed swim classes and was always on the look out for young talent and future Olympians. I definitely wasn’t one of them. 🙂

When I last taught in Sydney, my school had a couple visits from Louise Sauvage. She was a Paralympian. The Paralympics are held after the Olympics so we have athletes in training for those games as well. Here is a link to information on Louise Sauvage…
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Sauvage

When the Sydney Olympics were approaching, I signed my class up to visit the Paralympics as spectators. I received a transfer to Merimbula during 2000 so I wasn’t able to be with them but their new teacher took them along.

The Olympics and Paralympics are a great chance for athletes to meet and compete.

You may already know about this site but here is a link to show what events are on each day in the 2012 London Olympics…
    http://www.london2012.com/schedule-and-results/

Thanks for sharing. 🙂

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

• Dear Ross,
      WOW!
      What a wonderful comment 😆
      Thank you for leaving a comment on the blog.
      I agree, the Athletes do look so young still! I didn’t do a video because I was sick the day 4KM and 4KJ did it.

My favourite sport is of course the Equestrian sports. My favourite catergorie would have to be the show-jumping. The other sport I would like is the long jump.

What’s your favourite sport?
      Do you like the Olympics?
      If you were an athlete, who would you be?
      Your blogging buddy,
      Bronte :mrgreen: 🙂

• Dear Bronte,

Thank you for the reply to my comment. I also like the equestrian events.

Each year in January I help our local country show committee set up the show. As well as helping if there is a computing need, I set up displays and take photos. One of my favourite subjects is dressage and show jumping. I have a number of photos on file.

While I watch a number of events as I work on the computer, I tend to like gymnastics. It can be very graceful and is something I was never able to do.

If I were an Athlete? I might be interested in cycling as I once used to ride many kilometres for fun.

I hope you saw and enjoyed the opening ceremony. While not an event, it’s something I look forward to each Olympics. 🙂

@RossMannell
        Teacher, NSW, Australia

I loved all of the interviews they were all great too watch.

It was hard memorizing all of the words that we had to say.

I thought the interviews were all great.

In 2000 the Olympic torch was walked threw Geelong on the 29th of July.

My favourite Olympians are Natalie Cook and Steve Hooker.

See you at school,
    Clancy

6. Dear 4KM and 4KJ

I thought that the interviews were great. Even though I’m from New Zealand, out of all the names I only recognised Ian Thorpe who I think is a swimmer? My favourite athlete is Mark Todd who is in the eventing team I watched him do the dressage and he came 3rd which I think is really good but there is still the cross-country and the show jumping.
    Who are your favourite Olympians? Are they the ones that you interviewed or are they different athletes?

Yours sincerely
    Georgia, Room 24

7. Dear All,

How fantastic were the interviews! A very good effort, and Edwin Flack’s interview with Brandon made me laugh. Brandon was very spontaneous as an interviewer, loved it. Well done to everyone!

Ash (Maha’s dad) :mrgreen:

8. We are from Clifton Springs Primary School in Grade 2. We have just created our own blog page. We saw your interviews and thought they were fantastic! We are now working on creating our own athlete interviews. You gave us some really good ideas to make ours great, thanks!