Question for Parents: Olympic Games

The 2012 Summer Olympic Games begin in London on Friday 27th July. 

In 4KM and 4KJ, we have started learning about the Games and everyone is excited to cheer on the Aussie Team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Olympic_Rings.svg

We’d like to extend a special invitation to parents and other readers of our blog to share what you know about the Olympic Games. 

Please write a comment and consider telling us:

• What do you like about the Olympic Games? Do you have a favourite athlete or sport?
  • Do you know any fun facts about the Olympic Games, the host cities, the athletes, events, mascots or medals?
  • Have you ever been to the Olympic Games or do you have any memories of watching it on television?
You might even like to ask us a question. You can start a new comment or reply to a comment.

We look forward to reading and replying to your comments!

57 thoughts on “Question for Parents: Olympic Games

What a fantastic post! It matches the Olympic theme we are doing in class.

I like the Olympic games because it is a fantastic sporting event and the athletes co-operate and use great sportsmanship.

I know two fun facts that in the 2012 Olympic games, there are 410 athletes and 319 officials and that Australia is competing in 23 to 26 events.

I haven’t been to the Olympic games and I don’t have any memories watching it on TV.

From your friend,

Maha :mrgreen: 😀 😆 🙂 🙄 :8:

• Dear Maha,
      Thank you for commenting on the class blog. It is a really good and it was nice forparents to comment on the blog again. It is a good way tolearn more about the Olympics when the Olympics start in a few days.

It is good that all the athletits have good sportspamship. A nd that they don’t try to hurt othe players. The thing I like about the Olympics is there are so much events that you can enjoy.

That is good that you know those facts about the 2012 Olympics Games and that it is very intersting to know facts about the Games.

It is good that you have good memirories.

From Maddy

I’ve always wanted to go to the Olympic Games and watch.

It seems very interesting.
    My favourite athletes are Sally Pearson and Stephanie Rice.

Here are two facts I know about the Olympic Games:
    London has hosted the Olympics three times.
    The Olympics started in 1894.
    (That’s a LONG time ago!)

My sport in the Olympics would probably be:

Running
    Hurdles
    High Jump
    And a load more

It must have been very disappointing when they had to cancel because of the war and they cancelled three times.

The Olympics is my favourite event of all time and I can’t wait till 2016 in, RIO!

GO AUSSIES GO,
    Leah
    PS. I really really do hope Australia will win! :mrgreen:

• Dear Leah,
      Thank you for commenting on the blog. You are a great blogger. It is going to take a lot of effort to try and get into the Olympics. I watch it every year and every body has tried their hardest.

It is very intersing to me because I looking how talented other people are and what they are good at. And because to see all the sports you can try.

I have heard about Sally Pearson a lot on the radio. I do not know who Stephanie Rice is bet I will when I watch the olympics this year.

It is good that you remembered that from when Mrs Morris told us that. They are interesting facts and I’m hoping to hear more from other kids. That was a lng time ago.

My favourite sports are.
      .Hurdles
      .Running
      .Cycling
      And lots more

It must be very dispointing because or children who were going to go annd they were very excited and people that spent a lot of money on it.

It will be very exciting to watch it in 2016. I carn’t wait.

I hope Australia win aswell

GO AUSTRALIA:mrgreen:

From Maddy

3. Hello,

my favourite sport is pole vaulting, i dont have a favourite athlete though,

i do know a fun fact about the London mascots,
    they are made from drops of steel when they made the stadium one has the british flag on him/her i dont know, the other is a bikie i think i cant really discribe him/her i dont know their names either

Happy blogging,
    Riley ^_^

• Dear Riley,
      Thank you for commenting on the blog.
      My favourite events are
      .Swimming
      .Running
      .Cycling
      .Long jump
      and much more.
      I only one of the athletets and that kiis Sally Person

From Maddy

I ♥ the Olympic Games! I love the Olympic Games because there is lots of competitors, medals, competition and racing.

My answers to the Olympic Games quiz

•I do have a favourite sport but not an athlete because I am not really familiar with them. My favourite sport is dancing because I do calisthenics.

•I don’t know many fun facts, but I am hoping to learn some over the next weeks.

•I have some memories of watching the tennis when I was little, but not many.

I can’t wait for the Olympics to start!

Your Blogging Buddy,

Georgia
    :mrgreen:

5. Dear 4KJ and 4KM

I think it is always very exciting watching the Olympics on TV. It seems to inspire you to get active yourself.
    My favourite events are swimming, athletics and the cross country equestrian events.
    I haven’t been to an Olympic Games however I have been to many of the cities where they have been held. eg London, Moscow (1980), Beijing (2008), Rome (1960), Mexico City (1968).
    I went to the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne to watch the athletics/hurdle events which was exciting. The mascot was Karak – a black cockatoo.
    Hope the Aussies do well in London.
    Kerrie

• Dear Kerrie,
      Thank you for commenting on the blog. The olympics has lots of events you can watch and enjoy.

They are good events and I like them as well but here are some other ones I like
      .Swimming
      .Horse Riding
      .Hurdles
      .Running
      .Cycling
      And Much more

It costs a lot of money to go to the olympics. My Uncle won a compition and got two tickets to the olympics and a free pass to the after party so they were very lucky.

We learned about the host cities yesterday and it was very sad that they cancelled a few of the olympics because of world war 1 and 2 lots of people were dispointed.

That must of been very exciting a you would of loved it.

From Maddy

• Hi Kerrie,

I saw that you said that the mascot of Karak the Black Cockatoo was mascot at the 2006 Commonwealth Games and it just so happens that I have a toy of Karak.

He has the Commonwealth logo in the middle of his chest just over top of the numbers 0 and 6. On his foot he has the name Karak and on his tail feather he has the letters MM.

Brandon’s favourite sports are:
      Taekwondo, wrestling, archery, shooting and pole vault.

Ethan’s are:
      Wrestling, archery, discus, swimming, taekwondo and sprint.

What is your favourite sport(s)?

Brandon & Ethan (4KM

6. Dear 4 KM and 4 KJ,
    I have never been to any olympic games either, but I do remember as a child being able to stay up late to watch an opening ceremony. I love watching the swimming especially when Ian Thorpe was representing Australia. Let’s hope we get some gold medals this year!
    Happy cheering, Kay (James Mum)

• Dear Kay,

Thankyou so much for the great comment you have left on this post!

I have also never been to the Olypic Games but my sister Zali was born when the torch was walked threw Sydeny.

I have never seen the ceromony before but I think it would be great to see.

I like watching the Basketball the most it is very fun to wacth.

Thanks for the comment,
      Clancy 🙂

7. Hi! 4KM & 4KJ,
    I don’t have a favourite sport that I like to watch or a favourite athlete. What I like about the Olympics is watching all the athletes from around the world compete. I love it when athletes win medals and beat their personal best times.
    When I have watched the Olympics previously I have stood up and yelled support at the television to try and help the athletes!!
    Have you thought about all the other people who help the athletes win their medals? Do you know what some of those peoples jobs are and what they do?
    From Anna

• Dear Anna,

Thankyou for your fabulous comment. We like hearing from others around the globe.

I don’t have a favourite sport or athlete either. I agree with you that it is cool to see an athlete win gold medals or beat there PB (personal best). They must feel proud.

This is the third Olympics I have been alive for. I don’t remeber 2004 because I was only one year old. I can only remember a bit of 2008 Olympics because I was in Prep. I hope I will remember the 2012 Olympics in 2016 and onwards.

Today with our class we disscussed about all the people that help the athletes win their medals. Some of them were coaches, manages and agents. Coaches help train the athletes to fit for the day. Agents help book the athletes on to T.V. comercials and so on. Managers probably book the athletes’ flight to London and other countries. They would also book their hotel too.

Why do you like the Olympics?
      If you were an Olympian, what sport would you be best at?

Your new blogging buddy,
      Millie 🙂

• Hi! Millie,
        I teach 5 year olds and when I asked them if they knew about the Olympics they didn’t know what I was talking about. I think they will be excited when they get to watch the games.
        Cruz thinks he will like a sport that has tricks in it.
        Caylee thinks she will like to watch Basketball.
        Sky thinks she will like the swimming.

When I was younger I loved swimming so maybe I would like to be an Olympic swimmer. I really like watching the synchronised swimming, diving and gymnastics too. What would you like to compete in?

My friend is going to the Olympics and the Para Olympics too. She works with the athletes in the Australian team. She is a physiologist. Part of her job is to help the athletes recover after they have competed. Do you know some of the athletes will have to get in baths full of ice afterwards?

I can’t wait to see what other learning about the Olympics your class will do. Maybe your learning will teach my class more about the Olympics too.
        Have a great day.
        From, Anna

• Dear Anna,

Thanks for the reply. i don’t think I had much of an idea of what the Olympics of when I was in Prep. It’s nice to hear what the students would like to watch.

I think I would enjoy the aquatic and gymnastics the best.

It must be cool being a physiologist and getting to work with the athletes. I think that most of the runners and gymnasts would need to bath in ice mostly because the would pull a lot of mucels.

Like you, I am looking forward to learning more about the Olympics.

Millie 🙂

Watching the Olympic Games is always very exciting! I know that my class will be following the Games, and keeping up with Australia’s medal tally throughout the London Olympics.

I was fortunate enough to be living in Sydney in 2000, when the Olympic Games were held there. I was in year 8 and I was able to go to 2 days of Track & Field events – which was very exciting and inspiring. On the first day we were even sitting below the Olympic torch. I also attended the Paralympic Games in Sydney with my High School.

I’m looking forward to seeing how Australia performs in these games. There are lots of fantastic athletes representing us!

All the best,
    Stefanie Galvin
    Teacher (Melbourne)

• Dear Miss Stephanie Galvin,

Thanks for visiting our blog and leaving a terrific comment. We appreciate it! 🙂

I agree, it is very exciting to watch the Olympic Games! I like watching the Australians compete!

What is your favourite Olympic sport? I like the swimming, running and hurdles.

I don’t remember the 2008 Olympics, but I remember the mascots. I was in Prep.

I think the Olympics is a great topic to learn about in class. Do you?

Skye ♦

• Dear Skye,

Thanks for the great reply!

I enjoy watching the gymnastics, diving and the running events during the Olympics.

I agree with you about the Olympics being a great topic to learn about in class. It’s great to share such a special event with a group of people and to discuss what’s happening. It’s also fun to tally the medal counts and to learn about the different countries competing.

I hope you enjoy learning about the Olympics and that you enjoy watching them as well!

Your blogging friend,
        Stef Galvin

These Olympic games were the ones that were cancaled by the world wars 1916,1940 and 1944. I really like watching the Olympic games. My favourite Olympic sport is Europian Handball.

See you soon

From Ronan

10. Hi 4KM and 4KJi love lerning about the Olympic Games I didn’t now much about it but now I do now. My favourite sports are .Swimming.Horse Riding and .Hurdles I have only done hores riding 1 time but it was relly fun I have to go bye bye 4KM and 4KJ

• Dear Kayley
      I remember when I was in prep and I would come home and find the TV on and on the TV would be the Olympic Games.
      My favourite sports are pole vaulting, swimming, shooting and hurdls.
      What do you think we will be doing this term about the Olympic Games?
      Travis

11. Dear 4KM and 4KJ.

I am really excited to be taking you for Environmental Science this semester. I am looking forward to looking after our school environment with you all.

In 2000, I was very lucky to be able to go to the Sydney Olympics. I went to the tennis events. The Olympic village was amazing and the stadiums were interesting structures. The atmosphere was exciting and it was wonderful to be around so many international and national visitors.
    I visited the Olympic Stadiums in Barcelona in Spain when the Olympics were held there in 1992.
    I must look through my photos and see if I can find any.

I also went to the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne in 2006. We went to lots of gymnastics events as my daughter Amy was a very enthusiastic gymnast.
    I am amazed at how dedicated athletes are and how much training it takes to be an international athlete. I have met Alisa Camplin who was a gymnast but the went into aerial skiing. She won gold at the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics and bronze in Turin four years later. I had held her gold medal.
    We also were able to skype and chat to a champion olympian canoeist, Robin Bell during the Beijing Olympics in 2008 where he created history by winning an Olympic Games bronze medal. He also finished fourth at the 2004 Athens Olympics.

I have been very fortunate in my life to go to the Olympic games, meet Olympians and visit Olympic stadiums.

Good luck with your Olympic studies and Environmental Studies.

Mrs Moreno

• Dear Mrs Moreno,

Thanks for your awesome comment. I’m looking forward to Enviromental Studies this semester.

It must of been cool to see the Olympics. I have never been. I don’t remember the previous too well because I was quite young. I have always liked the country Spain since I have learnt bits of Spanish (from Dora). I would like to go there one day. You should look through your photos and you will be surprised on what you find.

You were lucky to go to the Commonwealth Games. I’m guessing Amy does or did gymnastics. 🙂 You were lucky to meet Alisa Camplin and hold her gold medal. We were all wondering how you got to meet her?
      How did you get to Skype Robin Bell? You are really lucky.

Got to go,
      Millie 🙂

What a great post! I really love to watch the Olympic Games!

What do you like about the Olympic Games?
    I like that you can watch your favourite athletes compete and not only know who they are.

Do you have a favourite athlete or sport?
    My favourite athletes would be Sally Pearson, Stephanie Rice and Leisel Jones.

Have you ever been to the Olympic Games?
    I haven’t been to the Olympics Games. I remember in prep doing lot of activitys about the Olympics.

As my Mum(Kerrie) said she went to the Commonwealth Games with my Dad and she bought me a stuffed toy of the mascot Karak.

From your classmate,
    Sophie

I love learning about the Olympics in 4KM and 4KJ, I would like to go see it one day. I think my mum has already seen it. But I would definitly like to. My favourite sport is swimming and I would like to be in the Olympic Games if I could.

Here are a few questions for you:
    ♦ What is your favourite sport in the Olimpics ❓
    ♦ If you could be in the Olimpics what sport would you compete in ❓

From Indi :mrgreen:

What a awesome post about the Olympics, I enjoy watching the Olympics on the T.V. because my mum couldn’t get the tickets because they are to expensive.

Here are my favourite events I like:

♥ Swimming
    ♥ gymnastics
    ♥ Running

♦ Do you like any sport that I like ❓
    ♦ wich sport do you like ❓

from your blogging buddy

shakira :mrgreen:

P.S I hope one of you’s can anwer my qusetion

15. Dear Shakira,

Your in luck because I like some of the sports you like here thay are:
    Swimming
    Gymnastics
    Hores ridding and
    Running. 🙂

From your friend next door,
    Lilli 😆 🙂 :mrgreen:

• Dear lili,

Thanks for repling to me, I also like horse riding too! I’ve got some qusetions to ask you 😀

♥ Have you ever been to the Olympics?
      ♥ who’s your favourite olimpian?

from you friend

shakira :mrgreen:

• To shakira my name is esaccally the same as yours but spelt diffrent.my name is shekira im from st thomas aquinas school,norlane my favorite sport would be GYMNASTICS,DISCUS,RUNNING AND SWIMMING.good luck!

• Dear shaekira,

Thank for leaving a comment on our blog
          I’ve got some qusetions for you

♥ Have you got a blog?

♥ what grade are you in?

from

shakira

16. Dear 4KJ & 4KM,

I’m so pleased to be able to put a comment on your post about the Olympics! It’s exciting to think in one week they will be starting.

My favourite Olympic event is Equestrian. I also enjoy watching the swimming and track and field events, especially the 100m, 200m, 400m and relay events. In the Equestrian I love watching the dressage. The horses are magnificent and watching the riders complete their dressage test is inspiring!

Here is a fact for you : Equestrian events have a unique place in Olympic sport — they are the only events where humans are teamed with animals.

It is also the only Olympic sport that pits men and women against each other as absolute equals. Amazing hey!

I haven’t been to any Olympic Games but have always enjoyed watching it on the TV and I’m sure I will again this time!

Go Aussies!

Cassie 🙂

17. Hello 4KM and 4KJ,

I am a teacher in Melbourne who enjoys reading your blog.

The Olympic Games are very exciting. I went to London for my holidays and sent my Prep class a video from Tower Bridge where the Olympic Rings are all lit up at night. You can watch the video on our blog if you like.

prepsholyrosary.edublogs.org

I found it interesting that the people who live in London were being told to use different tube (the underground transport system) lines during the Olympics. There were signs all around warning people that the stations on the line going to Olympic Park would be extremely busy during the Games. The signs told people that they should consider finding a different way to work during the games.

My favourite events are Gymnastics and Swimming.

Enjoy learning about the Olympics,

Sinead

• Dear Sinead,
      Thank you for commenting on our blog.
      We’re guessing your Irish, so how long have you been in Australia for? We watched your video about the Olympic Rings, it was very nice.
      That’s funny because I like Gymnastics, Swimming and Running. 😆
      Lilli 🙂 😆 :mrgreen:

• Hi Lilli,

You are right, I am Irish. I have lived in Australia for nearly two years.

I’m glad you enjoyed my video. Enjoy watching the swimming and gymnastics. Go Team Australia!

Sinead

• Dear Sinead,
      Hi, I’m Patrick part of my family is from Ireland and I have Irish name, anyway I’m very interested in the Olympics I have lived through three Olympics, my favourite sports are Swimming, pole vault and Running. 😆 🙄
      Well bye for now.
      Patrick

• Hi Patrick,

The Olympics sure are very interesting. Did you know that they started in Olympia in Greece?

Perhaps one day you might get to visit Ireland and see where some of your family come from.

Thanks for replying,

Sinead

I see you are well under way into the new term. 🙂

I saw a link to this post asking about the Olympics. A while back a class in England was studying the Olympics. I wrote one of my longer comments for them. It contains some information about the modern Olympic Games. Here is the link…

http://rossmannellcomments.edublogs.org/2012/05/23/for-haggonfields-year-23-about-the-olympics/

I have memories of a number of Olympic Games. While I was around for the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, at a little less than two tears old, I have no memories. By 1960 Rome games, I was in school. I had started what you call prep and I call kindergarten. For the 1964 Tokyo games, like you, I was in Year 4.

When the 2000 Sydney games were coming up, the Olympic torch passed through my town. The whole town took part in an Olympic party that afternoon. There was music and a local torch lighting before the torch continued its journey to Sydney. I still have a video tape of the opening of the Sydney Olympics in 2000.

Enjoy your learning journey this term.
    🙂
    @RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

• @ Ross Mannell,
      Wow, what a great comment. Thanks (Once again) for commenting on our blog!

You know how you said you had a class a while back? What was the classes name?

Did you ever go to an Olympic or Commenwealth Games in Australia, ever?

Happy Blogging.
      Your pal,
      Libst&#9728r

Fantastic post about the Olympic Games. We have also begun to learn about the Olympic Games at school. We have learnt about the special torch relay and the olympic rings. Did you know, the five colours of the Olympic Rings represent the colours of the countries that compet in the games and that the 5 rings represent the 5 continents.

Some of the sports we are looking forward to watching are swimming, tennis, basketball, badmintion, cycling and running.

None of us have been to the olympic games before but we remember watching the 2008 games.

What sports are you looking forward to watching?

Is anybody going to the Olympic games?

Do you know how the flame in the Olympic torch stays lit?

3/4M in Melbourne

• Dear 3/4M
      Thank you for commentoing on the class blog. It is a good post to put on the blog because their is only four days untill the Games begin.

It is good that you are also learning about the Olympics. It has a lot of events you can enjoy watching and people that do not like the Olympics is missing out on all the fun.

Those things that your learning about at school is really inportant for the Olypics to have. The rings are on the Olympic Flag.

Those sports sounds like a lot of fun. My sports that I am looking forward to is
      Swimming
      Running
      Cycling
      Long Jump
      Tennis
      Basketball
      Badmiton
      and much more

I have not been to any Olympics Games yet butr maybe when I am older I might go.

They dont blow it out when it finishes they keep it lit when they travle

From Maddy

I am really excited about the Olympics! It’s a wonderful time where the world’s athletes come together to compete and have fun. What I love is the good sportsmanship that is so often demonstrated during the games.

I enjoy watching lots of the summer sports, but this year I am following men water polo. My chiropractor is the coach of the mens water polo team. He is a former Olympian himself, and I am hoping they do well!

One of my former parents, Ben’s mom, was an Olympian. Here is a link to her story:

An Olympian in Our Room!

Her experiences were very interesting. She did not medal, but she said she learned a lot from the experience.

I’ll be cheering for Team USA and of course, my Aussie friends!

Sincerely,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

• Dear Mrs. Yollis

Thank you for commenting on our blog and it must have been extremely exciting to have an Olympian in your very own class room.
      it must be weird having an Olympic coach as your chiropractor.

From Brandon.

• Dear Brandon,

It was a thrill to have Ben’s mother in our classroom. Listening to her talk about how hard she worked was inspiring.

I really like my chiropractor. Although he has been involved in the Olympics as an athlete and now as a coach, he still needs to make a living for his wife and two children. That is why he is a chiropractor. He is a lovely person, and I really hope they do well.

Your friend,
        Mrs. Y♥llis

• Dear Mrs Yollis,

Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog!

I like the Olympics as well. It’s fun watching the Olympians compete against each other. I don’t really remember watching the Olympics in 2004 or 2008, I only remember the 2008 mascots.

That must have been very exciting to have a parent who was an Olympian.

What is your favourite event in the Olympics?

Skye

21. Hi
    I’m Sharon Smith a teacher at Footscray North Primary School and I often read your fantastic blog (and share it with the students at my school).
    In 2000 when the Olympics were in Sydney I was on a teaching exchange to Cambridge in the UK. I remember watching Cathy Freeman win the gold in the 400m with the students in my class and another class – this was very special because at my English school it was not very common to not be doing the daily curriculum, so watching the TV at school was REALLY special. I was so proud to be an Aussie that day.
    I was in Denmark, at friends, for the finale and that was so amazing – this made me both proud and very home sick and I thought “we” did a great job of hosting.
    I hope you all enjoy watching this year’s Olympics – it will be the reverse for me sitting in Australia watching them in England.
    Cheers
    Sharon

• Dear Ms. Smith,

Thank you for your amazing comment on our blog!

It was very nice of you to say our blog is fantastic and share it with your kids.

In 2000 when Cathy Freeman won gold it must have been very exiting.It must have been nice to watch tv at school. Did you watch TV at school for any other accation?

It is great to be an Aussie. It was really nice for australia to be a hosting Country.I was also very proud of australia.

I also hope you enjoy watching the Olympic this year and have fun in reverse.

Kealee :mrgreen:

22. @ Skye,

Thanks so much for commenting back to me!

I enjoy watching all of the Olympics. The opening and closing ceremonies are always spectacular and the sporting events are exciting. Besides water polo, I enjoy the track and field events, swimming events, diving, and gymnastics. I guess you could say I love the Olympics!

What will you be watching?

Warmly,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

• Dear Mrs. Yollis,

Thanks for replying to my comment! 🙂

I will be watching the opening and closing ceremonies as well. I wonder who will be holding the flag?

I like all of the events but I enjoy the running events and the swimming events.

Skye

I am excited about the Olympics and can’t wait for them to start. We have Foxtel at home so I will be able to watch any of the events when I feel like it.

I remember the 1984 Olympics which were held in Los Angeles. I was 16 and remember being able to stay up late to watch them as we didn’t have Foxtel back then.

Dean Lukin won a gold medal in the super heavweight category. He was so strong with big muscles. He remains Australia’s only olympic gold medalist for weightlifting. He also carried the Australian flag at the closing ceremony.

I was lucky enough to receive a gold pendant from my Grandad that year which was Willy the koala. Willy was the Australian team mascot that year and it was the first time the Australian team had a mascot. Do you know what a mascot is and is there one for the London olympics?
    I could bring it to your classroom so you could see it if you would like!

My mum went to the 1956 Olympics with a school group. She said it was a wonderful experience.

Have a great day and not long to wait now for the Olympics to start.

Bye for now.

Sandi (Max’s mum):)

• Dear Mum,

Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog.I am looking forward to the Olympic Games.We have watched highlights fom the past Olympics. It was a long time ago when your Mum went to the Olympics.

I am looking forward to 100m sprint,basketball and the other track nd field events.

I love learning about the Olympics.

See You Soon From Max 🙂 🙂 🙂

24. Dear 4km and 4kj,
    I liked your picture of your Olympic rings. My class is also learning about the Olympics. Yes I do have a favourite kind of Olympic sport, I like shooting and tennis. I know one fact about the Olympics. It is that the Paralympics starts 2 weeks after the Olympics.
    From Jack 2K

• Dear Jack,

Hi, I’m Millie from 4KJ.

Thanks for your comment.

I like learning about the Olympic Games too. My favourite sports are gymnastics, swimming and the track events. What an interesting fact. I did not know that.

Millie 4KJ

25. Dear 4km and 4kj,

It’s great to hear that you have been learning about the Olympics. I get very excited about the Olympics every time they come around, and am even more excited this time because I get to share the experience with a class of students for the first time. What sorts of things have you been learning about to get ready for the games?

In 1/2L, we have been learning a lot about the different countries that will be competing and some of the things that make the games special. We especially enjoyed learning about the 2012 Olympic mascots, Wenlock and Mandeville. Check out our post at http://bnps12l.global2.vic.edu.au/2012/07/24/2012-london-olympic-games/ to see the cool mascots that we made ourselves.

I hope you have lots of fun during the next few weeks!

Mr. L from BNPS.

• Dear Mr L,

Thank you for your wonderful comment. It was a joy to read.

I get very excited when they Olympics are near too. It’s such a big and exciting event. I’m definitely looking forward to it.

In our class we have read some news articles about the Olympics, talked about diffrent athletes and sports and of course we talked about the mascots Wenlock and Mandeville.

I will be sure to check out your post,
      Millie 4KJ

26. Hi 4KJ and 4KM,

I love that you’re learning about the Olympics as well – I bet most students around the world might be doing the same thing!
    I have been teaching my class about the Olympics this week too. The coolest fact we found was that the white background on the Olympic flag represents peace.
    The Olympic Games are taking over our classroom at the moment because we have our concert in 3 weeks time and our act is all about the Olympics!

I’ll be watching the swimming, diving and gymnastics – they’ve always been my favourite events!

From Miss T

• Dear Miss T,

Hi, I’m Skye from 4KJ.

Thanks for visiting our blog and leaving a marvellous comment! We appreciate it.

Yes, I love learning about the Olympics. I think it is a great topic. Most people would have Olympics as there topic. Everyone is talking about the Olympics Games.

That’s a cool fact! I didn’t know that.

I hope your class goes well at there concert. I have done heaps of concerts and they were very fun.

I like those events as well. I will be watching the swimming and the track events.

Skye