Happy Holidays, USA Friends!

We love collaborating with our blogging buddies overseas and there are special some classes who we have long running friendships with.

Mrs Morris’ class first connected with Mrs Yollis’ class and Mr Salsich’s class in early 2009. This is our fourth year of collaboration!

Mr Avery’s class became our blogging buddies in late 2010. This is the third year that Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan’s students have connected with his class.

As our friends in North America live in the Northern Hemisphere, their summer is approaching while we are experiencing winter. 

Summertime means the end of the school year and holidays!

This week Mrs Yollis’ third grade class, Mr Salsich’s third grade class and Mr Avery’s sixth grade class are all finishing up their school year.

Check out Mrs Yollis’ final post for the summer as well as Mr Salsich’s last update for the school year.

We’d like to wish all our American blogging buddies a very safe and happy holiday. We hope you will keep visiting our blog over your break.

We look forward to connecting with a new group of students in August/September.

What do you enjoy about collaborating with our blogging buddies?

Do you have any plans for your winter/summer?

How are the school years in the USA and Australia the same and different? 

24 thoughts on “Happy Holidays, USA Friends!

Thanks for a wonderful end-of-our-year post! The year has been quite eventful, but our collaborations with you have been so special. It feels as if all of you are in the room next door and not in a completely different hemisphere! It is a great friendship!

I have some very special plans this summer. I’ll be meeting my good friend and colleague Mrs. Morris this month! I look forward to greeting her at the airport and presenting at the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) conference in San Diego.

Throughout the summer I will be working with my six month old puppy, Buck. He is learning to sit, stay, and lay down. Buck weighs about 65 pounds (around 29 kg) and looks more like a dog than a puppy. Have any of you ever trained a dog?

A big summer event here in America is our Fourth of July. It is also called Independence Day. Families get together and have barbecues and some communities have parades. At night people go and watch fireworks. A few years ago we retired some old flags on the Fourth of July.
    4th of July Flag Retirement Ceremony.

What are some winter activities that you have planned?

Your northern hemisphere friend,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

• Dear Mrs Yollis,

Thank you for your lovely comment! 🙂
      Yes, we do have such great friendship together and i agree it does feel like our classrooms are next door to each other.

Buck sounds like he’s growing very fast, I have actually trained a dog before he is my dog and his name is Anzac.

The fourth of July sounds like fun it also sounds very familiar to our Australia Day.
      Have you ever gone watch the fireworks?

From you blogging buddies student,
      Leah 🙂 ♥

• @ Leah,

Yes, Buck is growing up quite fast! He is learning, but he gets so excited because he is still a puppy. Does Anzac do any tricks?

I enjoy going and watching the 4th of July fireworks. When I was little, they used to sell fireworks and people could buy some small ones to set off in their backyard. Now they are illegal because they can start fires.

I really love sparklers. They are little handheld fireworks that sparkle!

Your American friend,
        Mrs. Y♥llis

• Dear Mrs Yollis,
      Thank you for the lovly comment on our blog. We are all going to miss your old students and still hope they visit our blogging buddys blogs.

I bet you had a great year with your students and your going to miss them but it is exciting to get new student at the end of the year.

It will be fun meeting your new students. And becoming blogging buddys with them and I’m shore they will to. They will be very lucky to have you as a teacher.

It shore does seem like were next door because how much we are friendly toe each other and were always connected to each other.

Mrs Morris is very lucky for meeting you in person and I think she is thinking right now that you are such a great friend foe welcoming her at the air port. And I wish you both luck at the confrence in San Diego it will be a hoilday for you as well Mrs Yollis because your coming with her.

Mrs Morris was telling us about the fourth of the July ceromony you have in America yester day and you and Mrs Morris are very lucky you get to see it. Because of it we made some wind meals yeserday that had a the American flag on it.

Well I we are going to stay here in Austraila but next year we are going over seas weeven might shoot past America.
      Maddy :mrgreen:

I had a lot of fun with all of our blogging buddy friends. Espesially the Tail Trail, that was fun. It’s to bad they have to leave so soon, when we get together some time we could do something like the Tail Trail

I havn’t got any plans for Winter yet. Australia and USA are different because in the USA it’s the end of the School year in Summer and in Australia Winter has just started.

I hope that one day I can actually meet one of our blogging buddy friends. That would be cool 🙂

Thats all for now.

See you soon!

Indi :mrgreen:

• Dear Indi,

What a great comment! I had a lot of fun with all our blogging buddies, but it is a shame they had to go. I also liked the Tale Trail.

I have not got plans for winter either.I also think that Australia and America because America are one day behind us.

From your friend, Emily (4KM)

• Dear Indiana,
      Thank you for commenting on our blog. We are all going to miss our American friends but will enjoy having them bach again soon.

I have to agree with you I really enjoyed listening to the other storys they thought of it was to bad that I wasn’t here to make up the end of the story.

I don’t have winter plans ether but what I do know that my parents are going to make it a fun hoildays even though we are not going to on a hoiday or any thing.

It would be very exciting if we got to see one of our blogging buddys in real life that’s why Mrs Morris is really lucky to meet Mrs Yollis and her class.

Bye for now
      Maddy :mrgreen:

WOW! What a lovely post! It’s so sad to see our blogging friends go, but we will get to meet some new ones in August! Yay! I can’t wait to meet them through out the wonderful world of blogging.

Mrs Yollis’ last post and Mr Salsich’s last post were really enjoyable.
    I really enjoyed how:
    The posts were detailed very well about the last day and throughout the school year.
    The photos were very cool.
    It showed how good of a school year you had!

With blogging, I really love the way we collaborate togther, like Skype. It is very cool how we can share differences throughout blogging. I love blogging!

My plan for winter is to stay inside and watch movies, while drinking nice, warm milo. Yum!

Liv

• @ Liv S,
      Thanks for the great comment!
      I agree what a great post, it’s amazing that we can contact each others classes through blogging, and global collaboration. Exactly, I don’t like seeing our USA friends leave either.
      I agree, the photos were fantastic, as usual, especially Mr Salsich’s video. Mrs Yollis’s probably got a photo of her whole class and her on the 366 Project.

Happy Blogging.
      Your pal,
      Lib :mrgreen:

• Dear Liv S,
      Thank you for commenting on our class blog. Everyone will miss their American friends. It is sad to see our American friends go but like you said we will enjoy meeting our new ones.

I also liked their last post of the year because they were about the topic they were really fun to read to read loved the photos they picked.

It is very cool how we connect with our blogging buddys but not also that it is so much fun. And I’m entertained to hear what their up to.

That seems like a very good winter plan and it also sounds entertaining my plan is mostly the same as yours but also my mum and dad have to work some days so I have to go out. 🙁

from your friend
      Maddy :mrgreen:

I loved having our blogging buddies around, it’s so fun and exiting having them with us. But it’s a shame they have to go. Although, Mrs Yollis’ and Mr Salsich’ students will have fun when their in grade four, and Mr Averys class will be in year seven.

For winter, I don’t really have any plans, but my parents might organise a little holiday, they always do something. But anything is possible.

Your blogging buddy,
    Br♥nte 🙂 😆 :mrgreen:

• Dear Bronte,

Thanks for leaving a wonderful comment on our class blog.

Yes, our blogging buddies were very nice but we will be having new ones soon. It’s hard to believe that they are finished their school year and we are only in the middle of ours. 🙂

If you are going on a holiday in winter, go somewhere warm. When you get back though it will be very cold for you because you won’t be used to it.

Skye

• Dear Bronte

That is exciting to hear that you might go on hoidays on the winter hoildays. You very lucky to be going on a hoilday I bet it will be a lot of fun. And if you don’t go I’m shore your parents will think of something fun to do.

from your friend
      Maddy :mrgreen:

5. Dear USA friends,

It must be great for it to be your school holidays, and sad at the same time because you will miss your teachers!
    I hope you all have a fantastic holiday!

And I can’t wait to meet our new USA friends! 😆

From your friend in 4KM,
    Lilli :mrgreen:

• Dear Lilli,
      Thank you for commenting on the blog. I bet everyone will love to meet Mrs Yollis and Mr Salsicks new students but will miss there olsd ones.

Their kids will very much their teacher but will enjoy their hoildays and they might even see them in the school yards some time.

from your friend
      Maddy

6. Dear 4KM,4KJ and our USA friends,

I hope everyone has a great holiday! By August/Spetember, 4KM and 4KJ will be having new blogging buddies as well as the old ones! Have a nice holiday Mrs Yollis!

I enjoy collaborating with our blogging buddies because we can do fun projects like the “Tale Trail.”

My plans for winter is staying warm and comfortable, relaxing and catching up with cousins. What are your plans?

I am very excited to meet our new USA blogging buddies!

From your friend,

Maha :mrgreen:

• Dear Maha,
      Thank you for commenting on our blog. I bet everyone will enjoy their hoildays but will mis their teachers but hopeful enjoy their new ones.

I have enjoyed doing progects with our blogging buddys but will look for doing more with our new ones.

My plans are NOT staying inside and relaxing because my parent have to work. So I will be going to school hoilday program some of the time.

It will be very exciting to meet our new blogging buddys. And will enjoy doing stuff with them.

Bye for now
      Maddy :mrgreen:

7. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

We are Quadblogging with students from the US! I can not wait to do Quadblogging with the students.
    Your blog is looking Wonderful you have put in lots of effort keep up the good work!!

You have had lots of people looking at your blog they must think WOW they have put in lots of effort.

From your blogging buddy Shaylise 🙂

P.S Keep up the good work 4KM and 4KJ

• Dear Shaylise,
      Thank you for commenting on our class blog. It is very good that you do class blogging as well. It is very fun doing quadblogging with students from other classes.

Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan put a lot of effort into this blog and all the kids from 4KJ and 4KM are realy grateful for that.

We do have a lot of people visit our blog our goal this year is to get more than 25,000 by the end of the year and I think were going to make it.

From your friend from the inside
      Maddy :mrgreen:

Thanks for the great post! We’re very lucky to have connected with you this year. It’s always an incredible experience to be able to learn from classes from around the world. Yours just so happens to be one of our favorites 🙂 Yesterday was our last day of school so I should hopefully be getting a post up shortly about our great year.

We look forward to connecting with you again in September with a new group of kids.

Sincerely,
    Mr. Avery

• Dear Mr Avery,
      Thank you for commenting on our blog. We did this post only because we like you connecting with us and we all will miss you.

We are very lucky to have you as a friend this year. And we will love to see your new class and we all hope they behave for you because you are a great teacher.

It is entertaining to learn lot of thing from class on the other side of the world. It is very nice to have you and everyone else by our side.

That is so nice of you to say that about a class you are friends with.

got to go
      Maddy :mrgreen:

9. Dear 4KJ, 4KM and our USA blogging buddies,

What a wonderful idea of a post. Blogging has been one of my highlights this year. I love the idea of collaborating with people from across the world. I think some more grades in our school should be blogging.

I don’t really have any plans for Winter, probably just relaxing and getting into my cosy bed. I have my ballet exam in August.

Some of the things that are different between America and Australia at school is:

In America they don’t have to wear school uniform. They just go to school in casual clothes.

They call Maths Math.

They start and finish school at a different time to us.

Skye

• Dear Skye,
      Thank you for commenting on our blog. I think everyone have enjoyed blogging this year and I bet a lot if people will get there blog next term. There are a lot of people that want to get one!

I have a lot of things planned because my mum and dad have to work so we will go to do some fun things at School Hoilday Program.

American schools have a lot of different things then Austrailan schools. It would be very cool if we got to wear normal clothes to school but when we go on exersions noby will find us if we get lost.

Maddy

It has been a great start to the year allthough it is the end of the year for some of our blogging buddies.

I find it hard to belive that it is summer in America and winter in Australia.

I have allways wondered what a whole time of holidays in summer would be like.

Some ways we collaborated was.
    – commenting on each others blog.
    -Skiping each other.

Happy blogging,
    Hannah