Writing Narratives

4KM and 4KJ have been focussing on writing narratives in Literacy during the past few weeks.

A narrative is usually a fictional story and should include…

1. An introduction – This includes “who, what, where” information. Who is in the story? What is happening? Where is the story set?

2. A complication – Narratives usually have some kind of problem for the main characters.

3. A series of events – Several events happen in the story as the main characters attempt to solve the problem.

4. A resolution – The complication is solved.

5. A conclusion – The narrative finishes with a concluding paragraph to sum up the story for the characters.

6. A Moral – Sometimes the characters in the narrative learn a lesson, or a moral, about life.

Recently, students had to discuss a topic for a narrative with their families at home. All students came to school the following day with ideas for their stories.

For this task, everyone had to complete a narrative plan before beginning the writing process. After spending a few sessions working on their narratives, the students typed them up on the netbooks.

Here are some of our narratives

What kind of stories do you like to write?

What tips do you have for other students who are writing narratives?

19 thoughts on “Writing Narratives

1. Dear 4KM and 4KJ

Hello everyone WOW I read the naritive stories and their brilliant!
    I didn’t get to do a naritive because I was away sick but I wish I could of wrote one.
    I like writing mythical stories and I really liked the punctuation too by the and I hope to see more great stories in the future of blogging

From your friend
    James
    😯

2. Hi guys,

Wow the narratives are fantastic, I really like Hannahs story. It is awesome in Hannahs story that they get to keep all that gold, I would want to!

I also really like Tylers story how they get stuck in the rollercoaster, that is really creative. Also at the end they just start playing the playstation that is awesome.

I really like to right adventurest storys because they have awesome problems and there is a really cool complication. I think everybodys story was good because all the storys were different.

I also dont really have any tips for them, but I think they are all fantastic writers! 😀

Happy blogging,
    Jess 😆

3. Dear 4KM and 4KJ.

Good work to Tyler,Hannah,Lilli and Brodie for getting there fantastic work on the blog 🙂

I like to write stories about sport that love to play and a big adventure that a person goes on.

Here is a tip that I use all the time so here it is all ways check over your work in every sectence or two you have wrote.

Well great post your studet,
    Clancy 😉 🙂

This is a really great post. Good storys by Tyler, Hannah, Brodie and Lilli.

The kind of storys I like to write are adventure storys.
    This is a tip always use the correct punktuation.

I write a story about someone who almost drowns and they use a weird machine called the Grabber 2000.
    I didn’t finish typing it though.

bye for now,
    From Thomas

What a wonderful post! I enjoyed reading the stories. Well done Hannah, Tyler, Brodey and Lilli! 🙂

I have heard of the movie ‘Beaconsfield’. It is a very sad story and movie. It is true though. 🙁

I love writing narritives because you get to think of an intersting problem and then think of how to solve it in different ways. I also like using interesting words.

I like writing stories that have mysteries and adventures in them.

I don’t really have any tips because they were all so good! 😀

Why do you like writing narritives?

Skye

great post I love it.Writing the narratives was fun. My story was really long, like about five pages or so. The others were good to. Well done to Tyler and Hannah for getting there stories up on the blog.

I like writing scary stories with lots of adventure in it. Some tips I could give to new narrative writers is to always use capital letters and correct punctuation in the right places. And use interesting words as well.

Thats all for now.

See you later!

Indi 😉

7. Dear 4KM & 4KJ,

Congratulations! To Brodey, Tyler and Hannah for getting your narratives on the blog. I was also one of the people that got their narratives on the blog.

I can give advice to people that want to write their own narrative:
    1. Make sure you actually have something written down. 😆
    2. Your narrative has to be interesting like people want to read it.
    And lastly 3. Get your narrative finished and publish it.

Do you have any questions for me about writing narratives?

From your friend,
    Lilli :mrgreen: 😆

• Dear Lilli,

What a wonderful comment. You are a wonderful blogger. Keep up the great work! 🙂

I thought the narrivtives were great as well. I liked your story. The Beaconsfield mine disaster was very bad and sad. 🙁

That was great advise. You do have to have something written down if you want to call it a story. 😀

I have got a question for you, what type of stories do you like to write?

Skye (4KJ)

WOW! What an outstanding post! Well done to Tyler, Hannah, Brodey and Lilli. I really enjoyed reading your fantastic stories. They were so descriptive, so you feel like you’re really at the setting of where it is. Also, they were so entertaining and interesting, they were great ideas.

I thoroughly enjoyed Lilli’s, as it was based on a real story, but it was written in Lilli’s own words. It was really entertaining. Great job!

Tyler’s story was a really creative idea. It was cool how there was a magic button and it was the resolution. Well done!

Hannah’s story was fabulous. I would too love to have and keep that great big pot of gold! Great story!

Brodey’s story was great. It had a fantastic use of imagination. It was also really creative. Super job!

I love writing narratives, and all stories! I like to write them because you can use your imagination and just let your mind flow with ideas. I enjoy reading fantasy, mystery, adventure and scary books. I enjoy writing all of the above. Some of my favourite books are:
    The Harry Potter series.
    Enid Blyton books.
    All of these books J.K Rowling and Enid Blyton write are narratives.

See you tomorrow!
    Liv 🙂

9. HI,
    I am a teacher in Australia and really enjoy your class blog. One of the things I am doing this year is taking a creative writing class, so I was delighted to see your post on narratives. I think I most enjoyed the fact that you took your ideas from the world around you and I especially liked the narrative based on the Beaconsfield mine disaster. I will share these with the teachers at my own school. Keep writing – you have an audience out there.

• Dear Layla,

Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog. It was fabulous. We love getting comments. 🙂

I love writing especially writing narritives. I love thinking of the problem and then thinking of ways to solve it.

The Beaconfeild story is very sad. 🙁 I thought the stories were all good.

Skye (4KJ)

• Dear Layla,

I am Trent from 4KM.

Thanks for your comment on our wonderful blog.

Well since you are doing a narrative, this post should defintly help you get started.

I also liked the BEAKENSFIELD by Lilli.

Yes I also think you should share these awesome tips and storys with your teachers.

If you have the time again please visit our blog.

Thanks againn, Trent

10. Dear 4KJ,

What an awesome post. I loved those narratives, you must have spent a long time writing them.

They are great tips to writing a narratives. I think they have even me some great ideas to writing a story.

The Beaconfield story is very sad, but it is a great story.

Well done to Lilli, Tyler, Hanna and Brodey they are great storys.

From your friend,
    Ashleigh 🙂

What a fabulous post! Congratulations to Hannah, Tyler, Lili and Brodey.

I loved writing the narratives. It was so fun. My story was named Bruce Bubble Bottom: Egg Head Easter. It was about about Bruce and his friend Gary travell to Fiji because the Easter Seamonster dosen’t come an visit them. But luckily they find their friend and it ends happily.

Lili’s story was very entertaining. I like the idea that it was based on a true story. The story Beaconsfield has inspired me very much.

Brodey’s story about the dragon was imaginative and cool. It is also surprising when the dragon just disintergrates.

Hannah and Tyler’s stories were awesome too. They are so creative.

I really enjoy writing fantsy and adventure stories.

I don’t have any tips because the stories were amamzing!

By for now,
    Millie 🙂

12. HI!
    We are a class of 3/4 students from North Ringwood and we have just had a look at your blog. We are new to blogging and have just started our own. We would love you to visit our blog. Here is the address:
    34mk2012.global2.vic.edu.au
    Would you believe it but we are learning about narrative writing too? We have been learning about different ways to plan a narrative using a mind map, a story hill and the 5 W’s. What tools do you use for planning your narratives?
    From 3/4 MK, Mary and Krystyna

I loved everyones storys. Thay where great.
    My fav was tylers becouse some of it was funny and
    I loved it.I loved everyones too.

ceep up the great work
    paige 🙂

This was an interesting collection of narratives. I’ll add a comment on each story in turn…

Lilli – “Beaconsfield” – Your opening is wonderful. Telling people the story is based on real events captures the interest of people, particularly people like me who remember the Beaconsfield rescue.

Brodey – “The Dragon” – One thing researchers or archaeologists would not expect when visiting Flanders would be to find a dragon. You have added a touch of fantasy to what could have been a real adventure. Well done.

Tyler – “Bob and the Rollercoaster” – This could have been based on a real event as we have probably all heard of people being trapped up high on a rollercoaster. I am certain people who have would have liked a magic button to start up again.

Hannah – “The Rainbow Adventure” – What a wonderful fantasy! Being able to climb a rainbow would be an experience. It’s very true, gold is a very heavy metal and would be hard for one person to carry more than a small amount. Hannah was lucky to be able to share the find.
    I’ve chased the end of rainbows but have never reached them. Do you know why?

Thank you for sharing. 🙂

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

15. Pingback: Writing narratives… | Making Connections.............