Skyping With Sophie From The Block!

This week, 4KM and 4KJ were surprised and excited to learn that Miss Hannan, who is a student teacher in 4KJ at the moment, is related to someone special. Her sister is Sophie, from The Block!

The Block is a popular television show in Australia. It features four couples who have to renovate very old, rundown adjacent townhouses in Melbourne, Victoria. They have just ten weeks to complete a full house renovation! Sophie is on the show with her husband, Dale.

Dale and Sophie, from The Block.

They have a specific budget, they compete in challenges for extra prizes and there are strict building regulations they have to comply with.

Each week the couples have to renovate and decorate one room and there is a prize for the winning room. Once the houses are complete, they go to auction, live on television.

It is currently the fourth week of The Block on television, but the filming finished up earlier in the year. Check out Sophie and Dale’s house so far!

Sophie is a teacher, and she is currently teaching a Grade 5/6 class at Stonnington Primary School. She kindly gave up some of her time this afternoon to skype with us!

Many students had questions for Sophie and we skyped with her for about 25 minutes.

Here is a transcript of the questions and answers.

***********************

Let’s get behind Sophie and Dale by voting for them in The Block’s Suzuki competition! Click here to vote for Sophie and Dale as the “best sports” on The Block. If they get the most votes, they’ll win a Suzuki Swift Sport car! You’ll go in the draw to win a new car too! Students – please ask your parents to vote for you.

***********************

A very big thank you to Sophie for skyping with us today. It was a highlight of the year so far for the students!

What did you enjoy about skyping with Sophie?

Would you like to go on The Block?

If you were renovating a house, what would you do?

56 thoughts on “Skyping With Sophie From The Block!

Wow, this is a lovely post! I really loved skyping with Sophie. It was so nice to take time and Skype us.

The Block is my favourite T.V show. My favourite team are Dale and Sophie, my second are Brad and Lara. I just can’t believe neither of my favourite teams have not won a room! They deserve to!

I would love to go on The Block, even though it would be lots of hard work.

Liv S 🙂

• @ Liv S,
      wow what a great comment!
      I agree that she could have the time to Skype us. The Block is a good show but I don’t really watch The Block that much but I watch it sometimes.

Here are some question for you:

Why are your favourite couple Sophie and Dale and Brad and Lara your second?

If you were on The Block what would your favourite room to be renovated and why?

Would you like to be on the Swisse ad and why?

Happy Blogging.
      Your pal,
      Libst♥r

• Dear Libby,

Thanks for a great reply. This is a super post!

It was so nice for Sophie to take some time and Skype us.

I like Dale amd Sophie as they are always so cheerful.

I would probably like to renovate a bedroom because it wouldn’t be as hard as a kitchen, or bathroom. What room would you like to renovate?

I’m not to sure about that one. Would you like to be on the Swisse ad?

Liv S 🙂

• @ Liv S,
          Thanks for replying back to me.
          The room that i’d like to renovate would probably be the backyard and bedroom.

I don’t think i would particuley like to be on the Swisse ad but if I had to make a choice out of the Swisse ad or a Peanut ad or something like that I would have to choose the Swisse ad.

If you had a choice of the bathroom or the backyard what would you choose?

Happy Blogging.
          Your pal,
          Libst☀r

What a great post! I really enjoyed reading what people said in the skype call. I thought skyping Sophie was lots and lots of fun.

I thought it was funny when I sat on the chair and said, “My name is Sophie.” Then Sophie(The Block) said, That’s my name!”

I am a big Block fan! I watch the Block every night that it is on and I am watching it now! I enjoyed watching the photopeach. I thought it was funny when it said, “Sophie talking to Sophie.”

From your friend,
    Sophie

• @ Sophie (The Second),
      I agree what a great post.
      I think it’s a bit funny because Sophie is off the Block and one in 4KJ.

Well got to go have tea,
      Happ Blogging.
      Your pal,
      Libst♥r

• Dear Libby,

Thank you for replying to my comment! You are a fantastic blogger!

I also think it is funny because my name is Sophie too!

From your friend,
        Sophie(4KJ)

• @ Sophie,
          Thanks for replying back to me. Your an awesome blogger and I cannot believe you have earned your own blog.

Happy Blogging.
          Your pal,
          Libst@ Liv S,
          Thanks for replying back to me.

Happy Blogging.
          Your pal,
          Libst☀r

• Dear Libby

Thank you for replying to my comment. You are also an awesome blogger. Do you watch The Block? If you do what is your favourite room that Sophie and Dale have renovated?

Sophie

• Dear Sophie,
      I to realy enjoyed the skype call today.Yah it was funny when sophie(the Block)said thats my name i am also a big BLOCKfan and iam also waching the Block right now.

well by for
      now Brodey 😀

• Dear Brodey,

Thank you for replying to my comment! What was your favourite part about the skype call?

Sophie(4KJ)

• Dear Sophie,

You are a wonderful fantastic blogger!

I agree that was funny that you, Sophie were talking to Sophie (off the Block.)

I am also a really big “Block” fan!
      And Skyping with Sophie was the most awesome thing that has happened this year!

From your friend
      Lilli:mrgreen:8):)

• Dear Lilli,

Thank you for replying to my comment! You are a great blogger!

I thought it was really funny! Did you watch The Bock last night?

Skyping Sophie was also one of the most awesome things that has happened to me this year!

From your friend,
        Sophie(4KJ)

3. Hi guys,

I really love the post it is fantastic!

I really liked sykping with Sophie today and I think it is very nice that she gave up her some of her time to skpe with us. My favourite thing about skyping with Sophie was hearing everyone ask her the questions and her answering them. It was great!

I might not really like to go on the block because buiding isn’t really my thing, but if I did go on there it would proberly be great fun. I dont really watch the Block but I do see the end when we are waiting for a show to come on after it.

If I was renovating a house I would make it a really fun play house for kids but it also has the things you need for a everyday house.

Happy blogging,
    from
    Jess 😆

• @ Jess,

Wow, what a quality comment. You are such a fantastic blogger. Are you excited about your blog?

I agree, this is a super post! I think it was kind of Sophie to take some time and Skype us.

I would love to go on the Block, but I’m with you, I’m not that good at building!

The room I would probably like to renovate the most would have to be a bedrroom. It wouldn’t be as hard as a kitchen or bathroom. What room would you like to renovate?

I would probably do the same. Make a fun play house for kids, but keep it like an every day house. I would love to have a two story house.

From your friend,
      Liv S 🙂

• Dear Liv,

Thankyou for repling to me and you are an awesome blogger too!

I would proberly like to renovate a Master bedroom that would be so much fun.

Also yes I am excited about my blog are you? I am also going to call my blog,
        Jess’ Joyful Blog.

I really like the idea of a fun kids playhouse but it is also an everyday home! I would proberly like a two story house too.

From your friend,
        Jess 😯

• @ Jess,

Wow, what an awesome reply! You are such a wonderful blogger.

I am so looking forward to my blog! I also look forward to seeing ‘Jess’ Joyful Blog’. Mine will be called ‘Liv’s Live Blog’. How did you get the idea of Jess’ Joyful Blog?

We have something in common, we would both like to renovate a master bedroom! Secondly, I would like to renovate the backyard. What would you like to renovate secondly?

I was really excited to hear that Miss Hannan was Sophie’s sister. I never knew that Miss Hannan would be related to someone so cool!

From your friend,
          Liv S 🙂

I was really excited when I heard that we were going to Skype with Sophie from The Block.

I got to say a question to Sophie and the question was, what was the favourite thing you have experienced during The Block? It was relly nice to Skype with Sophie. So now when I watch The Block I will cheer Dale and Sophie on.

Well got to go,
    Adam

• Dear Adam,

Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog!

I was also really excited when I heard that we were going to skype with Sophie from the block.

You have a really creative mind to think of that great question you asked Sophie.

It was really nice to skype with Sophie. I will also cheer them on when I watch The Block.

Kealee :mrgreen:

• Dear Adam,
      I was very excited as well as you when Miss Hannan gave us the exciting news.

When we skyped Sophie I asked a question it was what was the hardest thing you have done on the block? She said that it was the sleep, she never got much sleep.

I am going to get my mum to vote for them. So far they are comming 2nd.

Happy blogging,
      Hannah.

• Dear Adam,

Thanks for the wonderful comment on our blog.

I was very excited when I found out that we were skyping with Sophie from the Block. I only found out on the day we were skyping Sophie so I didn’t get to think of any questions the night before. I think everyone was excited about Sophie skyping us.

I don’t really watch the Block so I don’t know a lot about it but from this post and the skype call I have learnt heaps about it. I watched a bit of it last night and I think Sophie and Dale are going pretty well.

Do you watch the Block?

Skye ♦

5. Hi Grade 4’s of Leopold Primary.

Thanks for the skype call today. It was lots of fun and all the students had such wonderful questions prepared. I hope some of my answers gave you all a little insight into what it’s like on the Block.

Maybe some of you will be able to visit me at the Open Inspections in June.

Thank you so much for a lovely afternoon,

From Sophie (and Dale says ‘Hi’ too)

P.S. Be nice to Miss Hannan

• Dear Sophie,

My name is Olivia and I am in Miss Jordan’s class. I was the student that asked about Dale and his Swisse.

Wow! It was so nice to hear from you! It was so lovely of you to take so time and Skype us! I had lots of fun too.

You gave all of 4KM and 4KJ a great insight of what it’s like on the Block.

You and Dale are my favourite team, and always have been!

You have created amazing rooms! I can’t wait to see your backyard and kitchen.

Good Luck!

Liv S 🙂

• Dear Sophie,

Thank you for leaving a wonderful comment on our blog! I agree with you, the skype call was lots of fun!

Your answers gave me an insight on what it is like to be on The Block. I watch The Block every night! You and Dale have been my favourite couple from the start.

Sophie(4KJ)

P.S. I voted for you to win the car!

• Hello

Hi its James Im the one who asked you would you live in the house your renorvating
      Thank you for your comment on the blog
      when I saw it I thought it was sophie from 4KJ but I read on and saw (from the block) and think,wow its sophie from the block!

from your friend
      James!

• Dear Sophie,

I really enjoyed the skype call,it was excellent!It was nice that you could use some of your time to skype with us.I am the girl that asked what you will be doing after the Block is finished.My name is Indi.

I hope I will be at the open inspections too.If I get a chance to vote I will vote for you for sure. 🙂

I hope I will get a chance to talk to you in person.All the other couples are great too,but I think that you are the best couple out of all of them.

What do you think the other couples rooms look like ❓

Do you think you will win at the end of the ten weeks ❓

Well looks like you had a great time skyping with us.I hope we will meet again soon.

See you later!

From your new friend,
      Indi 😆

P.S. Say hi to Dale for me.

6. Dear 4kjand 4km,
    Wow how fun to hear from Sophie,as a landscaper we sometimes have to work under pressure to meet deadlines so I know a little of how hard the block must challange the contestants.I have only watched the block once and Sophie and Dale did a great job on that episode.It was where they made the bed head from old doors and the lamps from jars,a real rustic recycled look. I thought they did a great job.Sophies students must be so proud!I bet they all follow the block.
    I can see many of 4kj and 4km will be keen to watch it now. Bye for noe Matt (Bek and Hannahs Dad.)

• Dear Matt,

Thank you for comment on our blog. Your family is doing a really well with the comp. I agree it must of been fun I didn’t get to skype with Sophie because I needed to go to the hospital.

I think the block is very hard ind Keath doesn’t make it any easyer for the conpediters. Like it is rediculus that you have to have a 900m wall in the middil of your bathroom.

I watched that epersiod but I’ve watched the other shows. The one you watched the did really well but they didn’t win but at least they came second and that’s a good efort.

from
      Maddy :mrgreen:

What an exciting post! I certainly didn’t see this coming when I went to check the blog this morning. Who would have thought that Miss Hannan would have someone so cool as her sister.

Everyones questions were great and Sophie (The Block) seems like a really nice person. (Of course Sophie from 4KJ seems really nice too.) I’m sad I missed it. 🙁

I would definitely like to go on The Block. But I think I’ll wait untill I’m a bit (meaning a lot) older.

If I were renovating a house I would choose a sort of bluey grey for the walls and use recycled bottles and papers to make finishing touches to the room.

See you on Monday,
    Millie 🙂

• Dear Millie,

Thanks for the fabulous comment! 🙂 It’s great that you are blogging in Fiji. Are you doing it at an Internet Cafe?

Yeah, we were all excited about the skype call. I didn’t know until yesterday that we were skyping Sophie because I was in Melbourne the day before. I will tell you why on Monday.

I don’t really watch The Block but I was watching a bit of it last night. Sophie and Dale are doing a great job!

If I were renovating a house I wouldn’t know what colour I would do for the walls. Maybe a pale green or something like that.

See you on Monday,
      Skye ♥

P.S I miss you!

P.P.S We are having our first Bike ed lesson today.

8. Hello 4KM and 4KJ,

We loved watching your Skype chat with Sophie from The Block! Here at St Therese in Torquay we all LOVE The Block. Because Sophie and Dale are from Geelong, they are our favourite couple.

We think your class is very lucky to have had the opportunity to Skype with Sophie. We think you asked her fantastic open ended questions. We also loved Sophie’s wonderful responses.

Thank you for sharing your fantastic Skype experience on your blog.

From 3/4 Yellow @ St Therese.

P.S. Go Sophie and Dale!!!

• @ Miss Milani,
      Wow what a great comment and a big thanks to you for commenting on our class blog! Also thanks for watching the PhotoPeach of 4KM and 4KJ Skyping with Sophie off The Block.

Here are some questions for you and your class:

How often do you watch The Block?

Why is The Block you and your class’s favourite TV show?

Happy Blogging.
      Your new pal,
      Libsr♥r :mrgreen:

• Dear Miss Milani,

Thank you for commenting on our blog!

It is good that you enjoyed the skype chat. I am like your grade at St Therese. I LOVE The Block as well! My favourite couple would have to be Sophie and Dale. They’re really friendly.

It isn’t every day that you get to talk to someone from a T.V show! I also thought that everyone had great questions and I loved Sophie’s response!

It is 4KM and 4KJ’s pleasure forn showing everyone our skype call on our blog.

Comment again,

Maha :mrgreen:

9. Hello 4KM and 4KJ,

We loved reading your Skype chat with Sophie from The Block! Here at St Therese in Torquay we all LOVE The Block. Because Sophie and Dale are from Geelong, they are our favourite couple.

From 3/4 Yellow @ St Therese.

P.S. Go Sophie and Dale!!!

10. Dear 4km and 4kj,
    That is a realy good post I cant belive my eyes when I saw shophie of the block I thought it was a dream the next morning not many people in my family belived me when I said that I was going to skype sophie off the block one thing is I have proof because she left a comment on our blog some.

I realy wanted to talk to sophie off the block but I had no questions to ask my brain was blank I was disapointed that I did not ask her a question I hope everyone enjoyed skyping with her.

bye for now,
    From Heath

Our Skype with Sophie, it was amazing!
    I can’t beleave we skyped with someone from The Block! It must be hard work to make an inside of a house, but never give up!

Sincerly
    L♥ren

• Dear Loren,

Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog! 🙂 😀

Yes, I was very excited about the skype call. I only found out the day that we were skyping Sophie because I was away the day before. Actually, I think everyone in 4KM and 4KJ was excited about it.

Who is your favourite couple on the Block?

Skye ♥

I really enjoyed skyping with Sophie from the block.Mrs Hannan is lucky to have Sophie as a sister.I asked her what she will do after the Block is finished.

A lot of people were excited to meet her and ask her quesstions.The quesstion Liv S asked her was really funny.(Did Dale really feel better on swisse?)

I am going to vote for Sophie,to see if she wins the car.I hope she will! 😀 Sophie and Dale are my favourite couples on the Block.They did a really good job on the house so far,every thing looks great.And I hope they manage to finish it all in ten weeks.They will hopfully win.

It’s great that Sophie is teaching at a School.I bet she is a great teacher to her students.

Well looks like I have to go!
    Good luck to Sophie and Dale.

Indi :mrgreen:

• Dear Indi,

I think it is really exciting that Sophie from the Block is Miss Hannahn’s sister it is really cool.

I also really hope that Dale and Sophie win the Block they are an awesome couple. I proberly wont be able to vote but I hope alot of other people do.

I think it is great that Sophie is a teacher too. I also think she would be a fantastic teacher.

Happy blogging,
      from
      Jess 😀

• Dear Jess,

Thank you for the lovly comment.Not many people reply to my comments.

Your right,Sophie is a nice teacher.I bet her students are excited to have a famouse teacher.I would like to be on the Block when I’m older.

What was your favourite thing you liked about the skype call ❓
        Mine was getting to know her and asking her my quesstion.

I hope you will get a chance to meet her again,mabye this time in person.

Well hope you enjoyed it.
        See you later.

From you friend,
        Indi 😆

13. Dear Jess,

Thank you for commenting on our blog
    got a question for you, do you watch
    the block? I don’t watch the block but
    I’m gonna watch it tonight.

from

shakira &heart; :mrgreen:

14. Dear Miss Milani,

It was great of you to leave a comment on the post about skyping with Sophie from the block. Do you know any of the students from Leopold Primary?
    My niece and Olivia’s(Y) cousin is in grade 5 at your school – Abbey S is her name and she loves St Therese Primary. We all love watching the block, the students all seemed to be quite starstruck, skyping with a tv star!!
    Thanks for visiting our blog, bye for now
    Katy x 🙂

I have loved reading all the comments about our Skype call with Sophie. I’m glad you all enjoyed it. Sophie was very impressed with all the questions and loved meeting you all.

It is very cool to have Sophie as my sister, but I think she is pretty lucky to have me as a sister too.

I would love to go on The Block, but I don’t think I would be very good at it.

See you all on Monday.

Miss Hannan

• Dear Miss Hannan,
      I wish I could go on the block, but I think I would’nt be that good at it either, and I don’t think they would eccept chidern on the block too.

I don’t watch the block that much at all, I’ve only seen about two/three episodes.

Your blogging buddy,
      Bronte 🙂 80 :mrgreen:

16. Hi 4KMand 4KJ
    I was so excited Sophie from the block is
    Miss Hannahn’s sister is so cool

I relly hope sophie and Dale will win the block I had to go to the block websit and vote for Sophie and Dane so I can see the house that Sophie and Dale made

I think it is great that Sophie has a job as a techer and is on the block and has 2 job’s but it is pretty hard to do it in 1 day but is easy to do if you have a great slep

17. Hi Miss Jordan , Mrs Morris and the gang from 4KM & 4KJ,
    I’m Mrs Buckby and I was a student teacher at Leopold Primary School last year. I have my own class of grade 1&2 students now and have been blogging with my grade since the start of term 2. My students are loving the connections they are making with people all over the world!
    You are all very fortunate to have Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris as your teachers – you will learn so much and have fun doing it.

How very lucky you are to have made a connection with Sophie from ‘The Block’. I am about to start a project on my own house that will be similar to ‘The Block’. I wonder how it will turn out?
    Has anyone ever had improvements done to their house? What did it involve?

Bye for now
    From Mrs Buckby

• Dear Mrs Buckby,
      hi, I’m in 4KJ. I was so excited when I herd Miss Hannans sister was on the block! I don’t watch the block much at all, but I’ve seen two/three episodes.

I moved into my house when I was just in grade two, one year later, my mum decided she didn’t really like half of our house so she said “I want renovate th house.” And we did! But then my mum decided to get a pony. So in one lounge room, there’s no carpet new but unpainted doors, and a mini deck that looks really weird, and new frames around the windows and very last, white walls that look ridiculouse and some old wallpaper that has been ripped off.

Have you ever had renovating disasters?

Your Blogging buddy,
      Bronte 🙂 :0 😉

• @ Bronte,
        Wow, it sounds like you could be a renovating expert! I’m sure your house will look fantastic when it is finished. TV shows like The Block are a bit different to renovating houses in reality because they have all day, every day to get it done. It’s not like that for most people so renovation becomes a ‘work in progress’!
        I’m about to start my renovation so I’m sure we will have plenty of renovating disasters!
        You can check out my class blog at http://hfpsroom6.global2.vic.edu.au/
        We love receiving quality comments like yours!
        From Mrs Buckby ☺

I think skyping with Sophie was a great idea.Mrs Hannan is lucky to have Sophie as a sister.She is really nice,and it looked like she really enjoyed skyping with us too.

The thing I enjoyed about skyping with Sophie is getting to know her and asking her my quesstion.
    I would love to go on the Block if I had a chance to.It looks like fun.
    If I was renovating a house the first thing I would do is plan out where everything is going to go.Then I would go get the stuff you need for the room.

I hope I get to see Sophie again soon.
    See you later!

Your blogging buddy,
    Indi :mrgreen:

19. Hi 4km and 4kj,
    Congratulations Kathleen Morris on taking out the teachers award.Well done! I m sure your students past and present can all see your efforts as a great teacher have shone through ! and would all be very proud of you!The kids sure appreciate and enjoy your enthusiasm to enjoy school,and share these experiences.Its been fun following the class activities on the blog too. Its good as a parent seeing what the kids are upto by just logging on and having a read of the days most talked about subjects keep up the good work.From Hannah and Beckies Dad.

20. Dear 4kj and 4km,

That is not far you got to see Sophie of the Block!
    I think that being Sophie’s sister is so cool Miss Hanine

Oh,I figot to say the post is so cool!

Joel (Charlotte’s brother) 🙂

21. Dear 4km and 4kj,

What am awesome post Miss Jordan! The way you set it out and the way Mrs Morris wrote the questions and anuses from Sophie is truly amazing!

When Miss Hanan reveled her sister (Sophie of the Block!) I was so surprised because I am the biggest fan of the Block!

So existed for the next post,
    Charlotte

• Hey Guys,
      Talking to Sophie from the block would have been so much fun. I think both her and Dale are the funniest on the block. Charlotte will do anything at home if it means she can watch the Block, even if it means chores she doesn’t like.
      I think it is her favourite show.

From Lindsay

• Dear dad,

I am the biggest fan of the block and I do anything to watch it and yes it is my favorite show!

by the way thanks for the comment to my class blog! 🙂

I am going for Sophie and Dale because they are the best sports on the block along with Brad and Lara.

Miss Hanan, you have a grate sister and you are so the best teacher in the world.(you to miss Jordon)

Love from,
        Charlotte

22. I am so jealous!
    I am addicted to the Block and would loved to have been involved in the Skype to Sophie.
    I heard all about it from Kadyn and it sounded like so much fun.
    We are cheering in Sophie and Dale.

Go the Block!

23. Hi 4KM and 4KJ!

We think it would be awesome to Skype someone on TV! The questions you asked look well thought out and are very informative.

Most of us would like to go on The Block. Some of us would like to win the money; others want to be challenged. There are a couple of us who think it would be lots of fun!

If Jan was renovating, he would make it a colourful house. Aidan would use lots of pictures to make it look fun. Paul would like to have a very nice kitchen, with a grey toaster. Sasa’s bedroom would be big and have a huge framed photo of him and his family hanging on the wall. Taylah would love to have a beautiful outdoor setting, with daisies and roses all around it. Bianca would make her house feel warm and cosy by using lots of vases and nice pictures.

Thank you for sharing this experience with us!

Mr Polh’s Yr 3 Literacy group