Bike Education and Road Safety

This week we started our new topic, “Bike Education and Road Safety”.

Next week we begin our Bike Education program, and we’re all looking forward to learning more riding skills. We will bring our bikes every Friday and spend two hours completing riding tasks. Last week all Grade Four students brought their bikes to school for an official bike check. All of our bikes are now ready and safe to ride!

An important part of riding safely is understanding the road rules. We will complete classroom activities to become familiar with the rules to become safe road users.

To launch our road safety program, yesterday we had a visit from the RACV Street Scene. We discussed a lot of road rules. Five of the rules we learnt were:

* You can ride on the footpath until you are 12 years old.

* Ring your bike bell when approaching other riders or walkers.

* Always ride on the left hand side of the road.

* Wear bright coloured clothing when riding.

* Wear a well-fitting helmet.

What is a road rule that you know?

Why are you looking forward to Bike Ed?

78 thoughts on “Bike Education and Road Safety

I think this is a fantastic post! It is great because the post is about Bike Ed and our topic is on it and we are doing Bike Ed next week!

I am looking forward to Bike Ed because we get to have fun and learn road rules for future rides to and from school.

I don’t have road rules I know because it says the ones I know in this post. But, I would like to know what other people know!

From your friend,

Maha

• Dear Maha,

Thank you for a great comment on our blog!

Yes, I agree this is a fantastic post because it is about bike ed and it i9s next week.

That is a very good reason to be looking forward to bike ed. I agree with you learning road rules is great.

Kealee :mrgreen:

• @ Kealee,

Thank you for replying to me!

I like the way when Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris do posts that are relevant to our school work.

Learning road rules is exactly learning how to spell.

From your friend,

Maha :mrgreen:

I always ride my bike on weekends, I go for a bike ride around the Rail Trail, it’s always importmant to get some exersize into you.

Sincerly
    Loren

• Dear Loren,

Thank you for a great comment!

I always ride my bike on weekends too. I ride on the rail trail some times and it is inportant to get exasize.

Kealee :mrgreen:

• Dear Kealee,
        Thank you for your lovely comment. Wow! Maybe we might see each other on the rail trail.

Bike Ed starts this Friday!
        I can hardly wait, it will be fun!

Sincerely
        Loren♥

I love the post and yes Clancy and Hannah are very keen riders. I ride my bike a lot and love it and unfortunately I don’t have a bell so I better get one.

I reckon since the post is about bikes we will get lots of comments because kids like me and parants not like me like to know stuff about bikes.

Hope we can get lots of comments.

From a friend Trent.

• Dear Trent,

I also love the post and it does look like Clancy and Hannah are keen riders.

I also ride my bike and I love it so much. I think my bell doesn’t work but I must go and see.

I also hope that we get lots of comments and you have a good reason why we are going to get lots of comments.

From your friend,

Maha

I liked the RACV street scene and I liked the picture that you looked at and saw all the bad things that people were doing.

Now to answer your questions:
    Q: What is a road rule that you now?
    A: That you have to ride or drive on the left side of the road.
    Q: Why are you looking forward to Bike Ed?
    A: Because then I will be able to get my bike license and will be able to ride my bike as much as I want to.

I hope those answers were alright and with that I bid you a goodbye from me,
    Brandon.

• Dear Brandon,

Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog!

I also liked the RACV street scene and the pictures.
      I think the RACV street scene was a very lovly idea.

Kealee :mrgreen:

5. Dear 4KM and 4KJ his post it is awesome I am looking forward to Bike Ed because I hope it will be awesome ,by Ethan

• Dear Ethan,

Yes, this post is awesome!
      I also can not wait to bike ed. I really think it will be awesome.

Kealee :mrgreen:

6. Dear 4KM and 4KJ

This is a great post,the RACV street scene was very good. I think the road safety thing really helped some people about the safety of your bike.

That is all,by for now Elijah 4KM

• dear Eli,
      I agree this is a great post!

thanks for the wonderful comment,i loved the RACV road safety thing and now i know what to do and we all lernt how to be safe on our bikes

chat again,
      Haydos :mrgreen:

7. Hi everyone

Hi it’s me again James
    I think it’s a great idea bike ed because
    every night my sister would come home
    and tell us all something positive about
    bike ed and I’d really think it was a great thing to do so
    thats why i’d really like to do bike ed

bye for now not forever
    James

• Dear James,

Thank you for writing a comment on our blog!

I am also looking forward to bike ed. When my brother and sister were in grade 4 they always came home and said “Wow we had such a great day at bike ed.” I would get really jealous.

Kealee :mrgreen:

Bike Ed is really going to be one of my highlights this year as well as pen licence. ♥

I’m looking forward to Bike Ed because I’m am interested in learning new things.

My road rule is that cars have to be 1 metre away from the bike lane.

I have never been this excited about anything as much as this for a long time. :mrgreen:

Has anyone have a brother or sister that has done Bike Ed before? (My sister Tioni has πŸ™‚ )

Good luck in Bike Ed,
    Leah. πŸ™‚ :mrgreen:

• Dear Leah,

Yes, bike ed is one of my highlights this year.

It will be really cool learning new things at bike ed.

That road rule is very good.

I am really excited about bike ed too!

My brother (Kody) and my sister (Claudea) did bike ed.

Kealee :mrgreen:

• Dear Leah,

Thanks for the comment on this blog post. I enjoyed reading it. You are a great blogger! Keep up the great work. πŸ˜€

I can’t wait until we do bike ed aswell. I ♥ my bike. Do you ♥ your bike? ❓

It will be fun to learn new things about bikes. I wonder what we are going to learn? ❓

I like your road rule. Some people don’t follow some rules.

I don’t have an older brother or sister who has done bike ed. πŸ™

Got to go,
      Skye ♦

I can’t wait to start riding my bike! I love riding my bike because I get to go different places with my dad. I normally go to the rail trail or ride around my court.

Road rules that I know are that you ride on the left hand side just like cars do. In America they drive and ride on the right hand side. I wonder why?

In bike ed I’m looking forward to doing all the different activities and seeing what other peoples bikes look like.

I am also can’t wait to bike ed camp. It seems really exciting to me because I have never been on a school camp. Sleeping with all your friends, riding your bikes and being away from home for two days. πŸ˜₯

Georgia

• Dear Georgia,

What a great comment! You are such a great blogger. I also can’t wait to start riding my bike! I normally ride on the rail trail.

I also wonder why in America they ride on he right hand side of the trail? I am also looking forward to doing lots of different activitys on our bikes.

I won’t be going to Bike Ed camp because I will be on a holiday in Thailand.

Sophie

10. Dear Elijah,

Thank you for a great comment!

Yes, this was a great post. The RACV street scene was very good. I think it helped some people too.

Kealee :mrgreen:

11. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,
    Wow what a great post! πŸ™„
    I think it’s a great topic to work on because next week on friday we are starting Bike.Ed!
    I am looking forward to learning road safety and riding skills.

Indiana and Maha’s drawings are beautiful they have so much detail in the scene. I didn’t know that people over 12 arn’t allowed on the footpath until Samantha came and told us all.

The road rule that I know is always have permission to go for a ride don’t just leave the house without asking. I’m looking forward to Bike.Ed because we get to go on camp with all of Year 4.

Happy Blogging.
    Your pal,
    Libst♠r

• Dear Libby,

I can’t wait until bike ED is on.

I did not know that if you where a cap under your helmet and you fall off.That the thing at the top can hert you very badly if your head gets hit in that spot.

I thought Indi’s and Maha’s pictures were nice and neat.

Before I go on a bike ride I have to tell my mum or dad then go with someone

Happy blogging,
      Hannah.

12. Hello 4kM and 4KJ,

I am looking to bick
    ED because we get to learn all
    of the parts of our bikes 8] and
    how to fix them
    from luka

• Dear Luka,

Wow, what a good comment! I am looking forward to Bike Ed aswell, as I love bike riding!

I am looking forward to learning about bikes in our intergrated topic. I am interested to learn about road rules that I don’t know.

Liv S πŸ™‚

I am really excited about Bike Ed that’s starting next week, I know about nearly everything about the road rules, but it’ll be fun to do it anyway. πŸ˜†

So I hope you all have a wonderful time doing Bike Ed next week! πŸ˜† πŸ™„ :mrgreen:
    Patrick

• Dear Patrick,

Wow, what a quality comment! This is also a quality post!

I am really looking forward to Bike Ed. I like to ride my bike around the Rail Trail and my court.

I think everyone is going to love Bike Ed. I know I am!

Liv S πŸ™‚

14. Dear 4KM & 4KJ,
    Well done to Miss Jordon for making this fantastic post about β€œBike Education and Road Safety.

I hope everyone has a nice evening. πŸ˜†

From your blogging buddy
    Lilli :mrgreen;

• Dear Lilli,

You are an outstanding blogger! That explains why you write quality comments!

I agree, this is an awesome post. I am really lookign forward to Bike Ed. I’m sure everyone else is too!

Liv S πŸ™‚

• Dear Liv S,

Thank you for replying to my comment.

You also are a fantastic blogger!

What part of “Bike Ed” are you looking forward to the most?

From your blogging buddy
        Lilli ;mrgreen;

Well done to Miss Jordan for making this wonderful post for everyone to leave a comment on. I hope nobody got a form to get their bikes fixed but the only person I know who did is Will.
    It’s good that someone from the RACV program came to our class because some of the things she told us about I didn’t know .I hope nobody got a form taken home to get fixed and the only person I know who did was Will.

from your friend
    Maddy :mrgreen:

• Dear Maddy,
      I can’t wait until bike ED.

When the lady from the RACV came I learnt a lot.One of the things I learnt was that when you tern 12 your not aloud to ride on the path.

No body in my class had to get there bike fixed.

I like to ride my bike to keep fit.

Happy blogging,
      Hannah.

• Dear Maddy,

Yes well done Miss Jordan for making this post by the way its a great post.

I hope nobody got a form taken home aswell but if some people I’m sure they will get it done soon.

We were very lucky that we got the RACV lady Sam she tought me alot.

From your
      Clancy

I enjoyed this post. I liked the picture of Hannah and Clancy on their bikes. If someone new nothing about bikes or road safety they should come to this post for information.

I learnt many things off the lady that came from the RACV but one of the things that really interested me was: Do not ever wear a cap under your helmet because a cap has a metal button on top of it to hold the cap together. If you fall it might dig into your skull and crack it. Your brain is right behind your skull so be careful, your brain is the only thing that can’t fix itself in your body.

Here is another one: If you have a helmet on, you have two protections, a helmet and your skull for your brain. So always wear a helmet.

I am really looking forward to bike ed because I will learn heaps more about bikes and will go on heaps of bike rides. I ♥ my bike!

Got to go,
    Skye πŸ˜€

• Dear Skye,

Thanks For the great comment.Hannah and Clancy looked like they were ready to ride.The picture of them was really good like you said.Sam the lady from RACV told everyone something they did not know.

We really do need to wear our helmets.

Talk Soon Max πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• Hi Max

Thats a good lesson but it is also important not to wear a cap under your helmet because if you have an accident the button on top of the cap under the helmet can be forced into your head and cause brain injuries. So never wear a cap under your bike helmet.

love aunty donna xx

• Dear Skye,

What a great comment! You are a fantastic blogger! I agree with you, if someone didn’t know anything about bikes or road saftey they should come to this post.

I also learnt lots of things from the RACV lady that came to our school. I am also looking forward to Bike Ed alot. I think it will be lots and lots of fun! I wonder if we will ever go on a big bike ride and where we would go?

From your friend,
      Sophie

What a great post! I think Bike Ed will be lots of fun. I love to ride my bike! I learnt lots of things from the lady from the RACV.

Some things I learnt are:
    Wear bright clothes on dark days or the night,
    Always wear a properly fitted helmet and
    Never wear a beanie or a hoddie under your helmet.

Thank you to Sam for coming to our school and teaching us about road saftey. I am looking forward to Bike Ed!

Sophie

• Dear Sophie,

I agree Bike Ed will be fun too.A lot of people like to ride there bikes on the Rail Trail,the skate park,the footpath and lots more.I like riding my bike a lot too.

I learnt a lot about how to keep safe on a bike,the RACV lady told us so much.My brain was filled with ideas of how to keep safe on a bike when she left.

Where is your favorite place to ride your bike ❓

Thats all for now.

Talk soon!

Your friend,
      Indi πŸ˜€

• Dear Sophie,

Wow, you are an outstanding blogger. You are always writing quality comments!

I am really looking forward to Bike Ed. I learnt lots of things from Sam (RACV) such as:
      Never wear a cap or beanie under your helmet.
      Put two fingers above your eyebrow to check if your helmet is fit properly.
      Lots of other things!

I agree, thanks Sam! Everyone learnt lots.

I like to ride my bike for:
      Fun.
      Keep fit.
      Exercise.

Your friend,
      Liv S πŸ™‚

Wow what a awesome post it is my second
    time leaving a blog comment.I also have a bike
    but it is a bit small so I’m getting a new one for
    my birthday.

from

shakira’s B :mrgreen: 😳 πŸ‘Ώ

• Dear Shakira’s brother,

Well done for leaving two comments on the blog.

I have a bike but it is to big not small. I got mine last christmas. I hope you get a good bike for your birthday.

Kealee :mrgreen:

I think Bike Ed is a great idea to teach bike riders the the safty of riding a bike.I learnt a lot of things when the RACV came in.For example:
    ♥ Never wear a hat under a helment.
    ♥ To measure the height of where to put the helment,put two fingers ubove your eyebrows then draw a circle around your head with your finger.
    ♥ Ring the bell when passing people in your way.

I can’t wait for Bike Ed to start.I am looking forward to Bike Ed because there will be a lot of riding your bikes involved in it.I hope other people will enjoy it too.I bet they will find it fun and exciting.

Well looks like I have to go, bye!

Indi ♥ πŸ˜€

• Dear Indi,
      we don’t have to wait much longer till Bike Ed starts, It’s starting next friday!

I don’t ride my bike that much anymore because I just don’t have the time. πŸ™
      But I hope to have more time in the future.

Your blogging buddy,
      Bronte 8) πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚

20. Maddy is so looking forward to learning the road rules and how to ride her bike properly so that her mother doesn’t nag her when she rides to her Nonna’s house!

A road rule that I know is that it is essential that you wear a correctly fitted helmet at all times when riding bikes and scooters. A another one is that you must always stop at a red light and stop sign, and give way to your right.

Love you Maddy! :mrgreen:

• Dear Joe,

Hi i’m Trent from 4KM.

thanks for the comment on the post.

It is good Maddys looking forward to bike ed. Its also good she can ride to her onnas house on hr own whilst being trusted to do it.

Yes, that is a very good and essential rule and once again a good rule.

By for now Trent (4KM)

21. Hi 4kj and 4km,
    From Matt,(Rebekah and Hannahs Dad.)
    Hannah looks great in the photo,A true image as she loves bike riding.Both hannah and Rebekah have started Bmx racing,and are both doing really well,they also ride to school everyday and enjoy the fitness.
    I hope you all have a safe and fun time doing bike ed,and remember the important road rules.
    Bye for now.

• Dear Matt,

Yes, Hannah does look great in the photo. I also love bike riding.

Wow, BMX racing cool. It is really good to ride to school and home. It is great that the girls enjoy fitness.

It will be fun doing bike ed and I’am sure I will remember the road rules.

Kealee :mrgreen:

22. Hi,
    It Kerrie here, Sophie’s mum. I know that you will all be looking forward to bike ed starting.
    I actually learnt something from reading the blog on bike ed. I didn’t know if you are over 12 years old you shouldn’t ride on the footpath. I will have to remember that next time I am out riding with the family. I am sure you will all enjoy learning about all the rules when riding bikes on our roads.

Bye for now
    Kerrie (Sophie’s Mum)

• Dear Kerrie,

i’m Trent from 4KM.

Yes, we are looking forward to bike ed. Well it is true that you can ride on the footpath until 12.

Thanks for the excellent comment.

From Trent (4KM)

• Dear Muinteoir Mairin,

Hi i’m Trent from 4KM.

Thanks for leaving a excellent comment on our blog.

Yes, I also think it will be fun. Its good you got your bikes checked and I bet they’re safe and ready to go!

I am sure to look at the link and check if they are almost the same.

From Trent (4KM)

Hi those pictures of the bikes look awesome I also
    like the detail on the the bikes I’m looking forward
    to bike ED because it looks fun and sounds like fun.

from

shakira :mrgreen:

• Dear Shakira,

Thank you for leaving a comment on the blog!

Yes, the pictures of the bike’s are awesome. I’am also looking forward to bike ed. It does sound fun.

Kealee :mrgreen:

24. Dear 4km and 4kj,
    what a fantastic post I would like to say what a great photo of Clancy and Hannah im looking forward to bike ed because you get to learn new stuff like dont ride to close to some one els all ways stay in a single file line and I am also
    looking forward to lots of other stuff I hope every other person will in joy this a lot of other schools dont get to do bike ed much most of them dont even do bike ed at all.

your blogging buddy,
    Heath

I love this great post.
    On the road you should go on
    the bike lans and have a helmet
    on your head.

I want to do bike ED becoues i think is would
    be lots of fun.

from Ben

• Dear Ben,

I also love this post.

You have told me a very good road and I will remember it.

I agree I think it will be lots of fun too!

Kealee :mrgreen:

26. Dear Luka,

I can’t wait for bike ED.

I would love to learn better bike safety.
    I like to ride my bike, it keeps you fit.

I ride my bike to school and to home.

Happy Blogging,
    Hannah.

• Dear Hannah,

It is Becky, your twin! πŸ˜€
      I can’t wait until Bike Ed too!

I am learning to do smiley faces. πŸ˜€ πŸ™‚ 8) :mrgreen:

From your sister,

Becky. :0

I think this is a wonderful post!
    I dont really like bike riding, but thats because dad always rushes me.
    Bike Ed sounds the oppeset of dad.
    It sounds a lot more fun then rushing me.

Some people told me that to go to lollie shop on Bike Ed camp!
    I love camping, but mum or dad wont take me.
    Thats because I’v never asked!

I better go!

Iesha :mrgreen:

• Dear Iesha,
      do you know why your dad rushes you?
      I think we might go to a lollie shop on Bike Ed camp, my brother got to go to a lollie shop when he was on Bike Ed camp.

I’ve never been camping in my life ever!
      How do you know you love camping if you’ve never been?

yor blogging buddy,
      Bronte 80 πŸ˜• πŸ™‚

28. Dear 4KM & 4KJ,

It good to hear that everyone is looking forward to Bike Ed. I know Loren is.

Loren and I go for a bike ride on most weekends, and it’s fun!

Bike Ed is important as it teaches the road rules when bike riding and how to ride safely on our roads.
    We all know how busy the Leopold roads are.

“Happy cycling and stay safe”.

Kerryn
    (Loren’s mum)

• Dear Kerryn,

It is Maha here!

I think everyone are looking forward to Bike Ed. I definantly are!

It must be fun rididng on the weekend becuase it is fun for me! Where do you like to ride?

It teaches lots of road rules and it does teach you how to ride safely on roads and footpaths. Sometimes I worry about traffic so much I don’t even want to ride!

From your daughter’s friend πŸ˜€

Maha πŸ˜€

29. Hi 4km and 4 kj.
    Its Matt Hannah and Rebekahs Dad again.The girls have the interschool cross sountry in Torquay tomorrow so good luck to Rebekah and hannah and all the other Leopold school kids involved I hope you all have fun! Also has the topic for the tale trail been decided yet?Thats going to be great looking at the cool topics to chose from.Look forward to seeing the end result.
    Bye for now.

• Dear Matt,

Thank you for your comment! You are becoming a regular commenter know!

I also hope they have had fun and I am very happy knowing their result! I am also saying this to the rest of the people who went into Cross Country Districts! Well done!

The topic has been chosen and the first part has been written out. The topic that won was “Someone finds underground tunnel at school, it takes you to…” and to see the first part of the story you can visit Mr Salsich’s Class Blog. I’m sure either Hannah or Becky will find it for you.

Talk soon,

Maha :mrgreen:

What a super post! πŸ˜€

You will all become really good on your bikes and will ride safely. As a driver I am always very careful when I see riders on their bikes or scooters. Always stop at street crossings and walk across. Enjoy!

Val (Skye’s Gran)

31. Dear 4KM & 4KJ,

This a good post,
    I’m looking forward to Bike Ed but unfortonly I broke my arm.

What are you all looking forward to at Bike Ed?

From Maddy and Lilli :mrgreen:

It’s Aariz again!

I think Bike Ed is a wonderful experience to have because you learn road rules and bike rules as well for learning how to ride onthe road.

Maha has been talking about Bike Ed for a long time and it shows how much she is looking forward to it!

Hope you enjoy it a lot!

From your friend,

Maha :mrgreen:

33. Dear 4kj and 4km,

What a great post. It’s great to see that so many of you are looking forward to taking part in the bike Ed program, I remember doing bike Ed when I was at school in the UK and I loved it.
    We go for bike rides on the rail trail to splash down with our friends, Thomas, Luke, and Kylie. We are always careful on the road and ride in formation with one mum at the front and one mum at the back. We also love riding along the Barwon river.
    You are all very lucky to be going on a bike Ed camp, I’m sure you will all have a fantastic time!
    Happy cycling!!!

Katy x

• Dear Katy,

Thank you for your wonderful comment! I am Sophie and I am in Olivia’s class. I am looking forward to bike ed alot! I think it will be lots and lots of fun.

I won’t be going on bike ed camp because I will be going on a holiday to Thailand.

Sophie

• Dear Sophie,

Thanks for replying to my comment. How wonderful for you that you are going on a holiday to Thailand, it must be the IT destination for holidays this year, we know so many people who are going there. Olivia and Thomas might not be going on the Bike Ed camp either as we get home ( after flying through the night) the day that your class leave. I have told Olivia if she sleeps on the plane and has another sleep at home that I might drive her to Maldon to join in at the camp. You and Olivia will be able to share your thoughts and experiences about Thailand, we are going to Phuket. Have fun and keep blogging
        Katy x

34. hello ^_^,

on 12/5/2012 all the cubs in the leopold distric
    went for a 13 and a 1/2km ride up the you yangs it took me and my Dad 2-3 hours we did the lumberjack track (6km) and the plantation track (7 and a 1/2) im shore there were about 67-91 people

cheers,
    Riley ^_^

35. To Max,

I think it’s really important all the necessary tricks of freestyle street bmx are being taught in school, bunny hops, mono’s, endo’s and skids are vital tricks in a young riders arsenal!

Cousin Josh

36. Pingback: End Of Term Two – Time For Holidays! | 4KM and 4KJ @ Leopold Primary School