Dynamic Assessment Task

Last week 4KM and 4KJ students worked hard on their Dynamic Assessment Task (DAT).

At the end of each major topic, students at Leopold Primary School complete a DAT, which is a special project. The DAT demonstrates the students’ knowledge and celebrates what they have learnt.

Our first topic for the year was Australian Symbols and Icons. Throughout the term, we learnt about Australian states and territories, our state flags and floral emblems, the national Coat of Arms, popular landmarks, typical Australian food and slang, and famous Australian people throughout history. You can read about our topic here and here.

To successfully complete the DAT, students had to:

1. Pair up with someone in the class and decide what to research. They could choose an Australian state, landmark, place, animal or person to study.

2. Complete research at home prior to the task.

3. Write the research in their own words.

4. Create a PowerPoint presentation to share their information, using headings, images, borders and backgrounds.

5. Present the PowerPoint to the class.

6. Complete peer assessments on each of the presentations.

Everyone did a terrific job with the DAT and Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris were impressed with the final results! Here are four of the PowerPoint presentations for you to read and enjoy.

What did you think of the presentations?

What is your favourite Australian icon or emblem?

What would you choose to research if you had to complete this task?

38 thoughts on “Dynamic Assessment Task

Wow, this post is lovely! The D.A.T was really fun. My partner was Charlotte, our topic was Cradle Mountain.

A fantastic job done to Hannah and Sophie on their topic about Sydney. It was well set out. Both of you spoke confident.
    A big well done to Josh and Brandon, I learnt lots about Tasmanian Tigers.
    Paige, Lochlan and Thomas, your Uluru Rock topic was just breathtaking, I learnt lots and you spoke very clearly when talking in class.
    Georgia, Lilli and Emily, I learnt lots about koalas including where they live and their diet.

My favourite Australian icon is the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House. I like these because they are in Sydney, I love Sydney.

Who was your partner?
    What topic did you do?

From Liv S 🙂

• @ Liv S,
      What a great comment! :mrgreen:
      What a fun topic, Cradle Mountain.

My partner was Maddy, our project was about the Sydney Harbour Bridge. 8)

It is a bit of a shame you didn’t get your work put up on the blog but that’s ok maybe next time we do something like this.

Happy Blogging.
      Your pal,
      Libst★r

Your DATs and presentations are absolutely fantastic! I learned so much from your DATS. I learned a lot about water. I did not know that Koalas did not drink much water. I also did not know that Uluru used to be under water. Wow! I am slightly ashamed to say that I didn’t know that there was such an animal as a Tasmanian Tiger. I would also love to visit Sydney this year, so all the local insight into Sydney will come in very handy.

Thank you for sharing all of this wonderful Australian information. This will help not only me, but my class as we prepare to learn all about Australia this term.

There are so many things to explore about Australia, I don’t know where to start. I might, however, start with the Great Barrier Reef as this is one place I would really love to visit.

Do you have any good websites or tips for my students starting off their Australian projects?

Mrs Murphy and the 3/4 Learning Legends at Lonnie

• Dear Mrs Murphy,
      me and my friend did our D.A.T on The Great Barrier Reef. My favourite one was The Tassie Tiger.

I don’t know any websites to help you with the projects, but hope you do find a website that helps you all a lot!

Your blogging buddy,
      Bronte: )

• Dear Mrs Murphy,

Hi my name is Emily and i am from 4KM.

Thank you for the comment! It was wonderful and i liked the way you had a greeting and a closing.

Thank you for saying our presentations were absolutely fantastic. That is really nice of you.

I don’t have any good things to do a DAT on.

I really liked Sophie and Hannah’s. It was good that you had the same background for each one and you had somethings i did not know.

Emily(4KM)
      ♥ &diams: ♥ &diams:

I love the new post put on the by Miss Jordan.

Term one was realy fun I loves learning about Austrlia Emblems and much more 😉
    Cam and I reaseached the Philip Island and I thought that it worked quite well if I must say.

I very much liked puting all of our infomation into to our powerpoint and also reading all of Cam,s hard work he put into it 🙂

I loved looking at all of the Power points again and I liked them all the same but the one by Brandon and Josh was very interesting.

If I could choose another topic for a Power point I would probably choose Captin Cook.

From Clancy.
    p.S Once again I liked all of the hard efort put into this power point.

I just love the post it is fantastic.

I think everybody did a great job on their D.A.T. I really loved Sophie and Hannahs the sound effectics were great they were the only ones with all those effectics.

In think everybody did a great job. Well done to everybody you all did a fabulous job!

Happy blogging,
    from
    Jess 😆 😀 mrgreen:

WOW! I love the D.A.Ts that are on the blog. My favourite one was the Tassie Tiger, me and friend Iesha did our D.A.T on The Great Barrier Reef.

Did you do a D.A.T?
    What was your D.A.T on?

Your blogging buddy,
    Bronte:)

this is a wondeful poast, thanks for puting myne on the blog and I really loved the other presentations to.

My one was about Uluru. I had three people in our group. Lachlan had bought in a USB so that made it a lot easyer. We had six paiges in our presentation and it took two days to do it.
    We had to print or write out some infomasion about our topic. I did four paiges of infomasion and altogether in our group we had fourteen paiges of infomasion

Thats all,
    from your blogging buddy,
    Thomas

I loved all the dats especially Georgia, Lilli & Emily’s D.A.T I liked the way it expresses the effort and hard work put into all of thier work.

your blogging buddy,
    joshua

What a wonderful post. 😀 I enjoyed reading it and learning facts about Uluru, the Sydney Opera House, Koalas and the Tasmanian tiger.

Great Job Sophie and Hannah, Brandon and Josh, Thomas, Paige and Lachlan and Georgia, Lilli and Emily. I learnt a lot of facts like who created the Sydney Opera House (Authur Phillip), what koalas eat (gum leaves and eucalyptus leaves), Uluru was once underwater and Tasmanian tigers can grow as big as the size 180cm.

Millie was my partner and we did out D.A.T on Delta Goodrem. I thought the D.A.T was great fun and I hope we can do it again.

I would like to visit the Sydney Harbour Bridge because it looks great and it is a large tourist attraction.

Skye ♥

• Dear Skye,

What a great comment!

I’m glad you enjoyed everyone’s powerpoint. I also learnt alot of facts from all of the powerpoints. I really enjoyed seeing the class present their powerpoints.

I didn’t get to see 4KM’s powerpoints but I think they would have done a great job.
      I think you and Millie did a great job on your D.A.T. I leant alot about Delta Goodrem in your powerpoint.

From your friend,
      Sophie

What a fabulous post! I love how Miss Jordan put some presentations from 4KM and 4KJ project! It was a shame that Miss Jordan couldn’t put all of them on but it would take up heaps and heaps of space!

I think that Hannah’s and Sophie’s presentation was excellent and I also liked Josh and Brandon’s and Georgia’a and Emily’s. Well done everyone!

My partner was Loren and our topic was The Great Barrier Reef. If I didn’t do The Great Barrier Reef then I would do Sydney Opera House.

Who was your partner?
    What icon or animal did you do?

From your friend,

Maha

10. @ Mrs Murphy,
    So did I, I learned a lot of infomation about all of our topics. My favourite thing was seeing how much infomation they could get into their projects.

Sorry I forgot to tell you how great you are at writing comments they are so long and easy to read. :mrgreen:

Sorry i don’t really know any good websites but I bet there are some out there. 😳

Happy Blogging.
    Your Pal,
    Libst★r

11. Dear 4Km and 4KJ,

Wow what a great post. The DAT was hard but very fun.

My partners were Travis and Patrick we did New South Wales we found alot of info.

My favourite DAT was the Tasmanian Tiger. It had alot of interesting facts I never knew before.

Here are some questions I would like to ask.

*What was your favourite DAT post
    *What did you do you DAT on

From your Blogging buddy,
    Adam.

The presentations were great! 🙂
    My favourite one was Koalas by Georgia, Lilli and Emily.
    My presentation was on The Great Barrier Reef and my partners were Kealee and Ethan.

Most of those facts I hardly didn’t know any of them. I hope everyone had so much fun on these amazing projects! :mrgreen:

One of my facts about The Great Barrier Reef was the Great Barrier Reef is actually is visible from the moon. Astronauts describe it as a thin white line off the coast of Queensland.
    Another one is that The Great Barrier Reef is bigger than The United Kingdom, Holland and Switzerland combined.

From Leah. 🙂

What a magnificent post. The D.A.T was described very well and it was understandable. Everyone’s powerpoint gave me the WOW! factor. I am sure that everyone elses powerpoint’s had the WOW! factor too.

I learnt some amazing things from everyone’s powerpoint. I will tell you one fact I learnt from everyone’s powerpoint. From Hannah and Sophie’s I learnt that the Centre Point Tower is around 304 metres tall. From Brandon and Josh’s I learnt that a fully grown Tassie Tiger is called a Thylacine. From Lachlan, Tom and Paige’s I learnt that Uluru was once under water. From Georgia, Lilli and Emily’s I learnt that Koala’s usually live for 12-16 years in the wild. Of course I learnt much more and if I did list it I’d almost be typing down everyone’s full powerpoint!

Once again, I thought that everyone’s powerpoint was really good. I’ve just had a little think about what my favourite Australian emblem or icon is and I think that The Twelve Apostles are truly amamzing. If I could do this D.A.T again I’d choose a trainer of The Biggest Loser or The Twelve Apostles.

My partner for the D.A.T was Skye. We decided to do Delta Goodrem for our D.A.T. I think it was a good choice because we got a lot of information.

Sincerely,
    Millie 🙂

• Dear Millie,

What a quality comment! No wonder you already have your own blog!

I also agree, what a magnificent post! The DAT was very describable and I had a lot of fun! Did you?

Everyone did an excellent job and lots of them were very interesting and had the WOW factor ( as you said).

I also learned a lot from everyone’s powerpoint. I learned lots but I would be writing a whole three pages! I learned from Georgia, Lilli’s and Emily’s that koalas occasionally live in any other places than eucalyptus trees!

I have had a think and if I didn’t do The Great Barrier Reef I wouldv’e loved to do the Sydney Opera House!

My partner was Loren and as I said we did The Great Barrier Reef and it was very enjoyable! What did you like about it?

Well got to go,

Maha 😀

Hi I’m a Fourth Grade Student in New Orleans, Louisiana named Kaitlin.
    I’ve done something similar to your project before. I had to do research and a powerpoint of a element on the Periodic Table.
    I really liked your presentations. It was fun watching all of them because I’ve never been to Australia, and I’ve never really learned about it. I really thought everyone did a really good job on researching and their powerpoints.
    Did you enjoy making your powerpoint?

Sincerely,
    Kaitlin

• dear Kaitlin,

i am realy happy you left a comment on our blog i am suprised cause i have never left austrailia.

I Enjoyed doing the powerpoint project and i hope you had fun too.

by the way i am happy
      you liked them

by for now
      your blogging buddy,
      joshua

• Dear Joshua,

Like I said I’ve never been to Australia before, but I’ve gone to Paris and Mexico before!

Powerpoints are really fun for projects, and I think it’s weird that different schools so far away do the same thing for projects!

Kaitlin

15. Dear 4km and 4kj,
    Thanks for teaching me about koalas! I enjoyed learning about them. Your pictures where very nice and so where the facts! Now I know that koalas don’t drink a lot of water, they eat mostly leaves!
    From, Olivia

16. Dear Georgia, Lilli and Emily,
    I really like your slide show about koalas!!! I didn’t know that they lived in gum tress. I also didn’t know that they eat leaves. My favorite part was looking at the koala joeys.
    Brie

17. Dear 4km and 4kj,
    My name is Marley and I live in New Orleans, Louisiana.
    I loved your PowerPoint’s. It looks like you put a lot of work into them. I watched all of them and not a single one was bad.
    How much time did it take?
    Sincerely,
    Marley

18. Everyone always puts so much work into their dats, its always a pleasure to see what the students have learnt on new subjects. There are so many subjects to research on Australia and they are all exciting, they are our heritage!! Well done!

Wow what a great post I also enjoyed
    doing our D.A.T it was awesome my
    partner was Ehberneese.

from

shakira 😀

• Dear Shakira,

I agree, what a great post! I also enjoyed the DAT and I thoght it was fantastic! My partner was Loren.

From your friend,

Maha

20. Dear 4KJ,

For anyone who wants to see Lachlans,Thomas and paiges powerpoint for this very fun D.A.T it is at the middle of the page. It is orange with bubbles at the bottom of it and has a picture of Uluru on it.(of course it has a picture of Uluru on it because my group was studdying it on Wiki to help us with our D.A.T!) If you want to look at the Information we got then click on the link below! 😆 🙂 😉

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uluru

From your blogging buddy (who wants a blog in a nice way) Lachlan :mrgreen:

My DAT was about the echidna and my partner was hayden.

Did you know that the echidna actually is covererd in spines rather then spikes.

well cant talk forever (although that would be nice) sincerly,
    Riley

I like your post about the D.A.T. Josh and I made the Tasmanian tiger slide show. I think the research was the easiest part because there was so many sites to get information from but I usually used Wikipedia.

I picked the Tassie tiger because it’s a unique creature that is extinct making it easier to find info.

My favourite thing about the tiger is it’s stripes. That’s why I call it unique. Plus the stipes would intimidate the predator if any. Also I like how sharp it’s teeth look. It has the looks of a tiger and the smarts of a dolphin and that is what makes it great

P.S.
    Thanks for putting our slide show on.

What a great post!

I really enjoyed making the powerpoint. It was lots of fun. Hannah and I chose Sydney because we both wanted to do a place, but we wanted to do somewhere that we had both been.

I think the other student’s powerpoints were fantastic! I also enjoyed watching people in our class present their powerpoints. I didn’t get to see 4KM’s powerpoints, (apart from the ones on the blog) but I think they would have done a great job.

What did you do your powerpoint on?
    Did you enjoy making the powerpoint?

Sophie

24. Hi everyone,

This is Shazia, Maha’s mum. I have really enjoyed power point presentation compiled by Sophie and Hannah.

Thank you Mrs Morris for emailing me Maha and Loren’s presentation. I thoroughly enjoyed it. everyone has put a lot of effort and hard work in to prepare their presentations. I would like to congratulate all of you.

Talk to you soon…keep the good work up.

Shazia

• Dear Shazia,

What a great comment! I’m glad you enjoyed our powerpoint.

I agree with you, everyone has put a lot of efort in to their powerpoint and did a fantastic job.

Sophie

• Dear Sophie,

Thank you for replying to my mum! I really appreciate it!

It is a good comment! I just want to say that she thought yours was excellent and was informative!

I think everyone should be proud of themselves and they did do a fantastic job!

From your friend,

Maha 😀

• Hi All!

This is Maha’s Dad, Ash. Have been following your blog page for months now, and have been loving reading all your comments and presentations. I think you all show an excellent sense of responsibility and maturity – which is important when you are blogging to the public (and also representing your school!).
          I really, really enjoyed your powerpoint presentations on Aussie icons, and was also SAD 🙁 that I couldn’t see everyones….
          would have loved to see all – as I think it isn’t all about who does the BEST one, but who has tried THEIR best!
          Loved all the ones that were displayed on the site.
          KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!
          AND REMEMBER…THE FUTURE IS YOURS…HAVE FUN WITH IT!
          Ash

25. Love your work 4KJ & 4KM,

I’m sure you could all teach me a thing or two about computer presentations and blogging and I look forward to sharing your knowledge today at school.
    My favourite Australian landmark would have to be the “Great Ocean Road” or the “Grampians” as I love the ocean, bushwalking and being outdoors.
    I would maybe like to research the “Australian Flag” to find out more about its origins/story.

See you today,
    Kylie.

26. Dear Hannah and Sophie,

The powerpoint on Sydney was really good! I did not know that the bridge took 6 years to build. I also think that the Luna Park would be really fun to go to!

Brie