ANZAC Day

All the 4KM and 4KJ students are at home today as it is a special public holiday, ANZAC Day.

Photo courtesy of http://en.wikipedia.org/

On the 25th April each year we remember the bravery and sacrifice of all soldiers who have served our country in times of war.

ANZAC, stands for

Australian
New Zealand
Army
Corps

The ANZAC tradition began during World War I when Australian and allied troops landed in 1915 at Gallipoli, Turkey.

The Last Post is often played on a bugle to remember those who fought in wars and didn’t return home.

The Last Post (tip: right click and select “open in new tab” to play)

Do you know any more information about ANZAC day?

What special events are held on ANZAC day?

What do you and your family do on ANZAC day?

26 thoughts on “ANZAC Day

What a lovely post! I especially like it because the theme is on ANZAC and today is ANZAC day!

I don’t have any information but reading this post has given me a brief explanation about where it was.

I do not actually know what special events happen on this day but I will like to know!

We don’t usually do much today but I would like to know what other people do today. What do you do on ANZAC day?

Maha

2. Hi guys,

I love the post it is fantastic.

On ANZAC Day my family and I dont really do anything. All we do is stay home and have a quiet day.

I dont really know much about ANZAC

3. day I only know about the war and all the fighting.

Well see you soon,
    from
    Jess 😆

P.S my comment posted before I had finished it.

I loved the blog post, I loved how you put what ANZAC means because now I have leant something new.
    Australian
    New zealand
    Army
    corps.

On ANZAC day I usally go to the ANZAC march.
    But this year I couldn’t go to the march because a person my mum nows started a casting agency. So They took photos of me and put them on a website for people who want me to be on catalogs and staf.

I did not know much information about ANZAC day but I now have a breif explenation about it.

• @ Hannah,
      wow what a great comment!
      Our class would love to see you on catalogs :mrgreen:

Happy Blogging.
      Your pal,
      Libst☀r 🙄

5. Hello 4KM and 4KJ,
    wow what a great post! I watched thing that was on TV at 5:00am! 😳
    OK well see you tomorrow 🙄

Happy Blogging.
    Your Pal,
    Libst☀r :mrgreen:

• Dear Libby,

There are so many quality comments these days…Yours is one of them! I love the post too!

I watched the ceremonies aswell. Did you watch the ones n Gallipoli, New Zealand or Australia?

Liv S 🙂

6. To 4KM and 4KJ

Wow! What a brilliant post
    What I like doing on ANZAC day with my family is:
    Relaxing ,watching movies and just chilling out and remembering our
    Soldiers who fought and died for our country

From your mate
    James

7. Dear 4KM and 4KJ

I liked your post it was interesting.
    I don’t know anything else about ANZAC day.
    I know there is a dawn service but we haven’t been to it but my Pa has.

Best Wishes
    Ella C

8. On 11th November each year we have our Remembrance Day, also called Armistice Day, when we remember all soldiers everywhere who have given their lives for others in war. We don’t have a day off school but we always have a special assembly, and we wear poppies to remember the fallen. We play the Last Post, just like you, at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month. It is always a very sombre and serious service. I see that poppies are also significant for you from your photo.
    Once again it is interesting to observe the similarities and differences between our cultures.
    Mrs M
    A Room with a View
    UK

• Dear Mrs Monghan,

Thank you for your comment!

We also have a Remembrance day on the 11th if November.

I didn’t know that we would have a day off since we didn’t have one last year but things change. Having a special assembly and having to wear poppies is very significant to this day. I have never heard of the Last Post till today. It must be very sombre and serious because this is a very serious day because people have died for us to make this country ours and have all the freedom we want. Poppies are very special to us.

It is interesting to see similarities and see differences, as you said to see our cultures the way they are.

Maha ( 4KM )

9. Dear 4km & 4kj,

ANZAC day sort of reminds me of Memorial Day. It is a holiday that kids get off of school here in America, it a day that we honor the men and women in America who died protecting our country.

Your friend,
    Matthew
    (Yollis’ student)

10. Dear 4KM and 4KJ blog,

Happy ANZAC day to all.

Well there are probably lots of special events held on ANZAC day but my Dad goes to the dawn service every Anzac morning.

Also every Anzac day the scouts troop hold a march wich they also do every ANZAC day

On Anzac day my family usually watches the Anzac day movie.

By for now
    Clancy 😉

• Dear Clancy,

Happy ANZAC Day to you too.

I also think there is lots of different events held on ANZAC Day. Also what is the dawn service?

Also what is the ANZAC movie? Is it about the war?

Happy blogging,
      from
      Jess 😀

wow what a great post.

ANZAC day is a great thing to do because those solders don’t have to go out there and rick there lives but they do they do it for us they do it for the country. The die being happy and brave that they’ve done this for thousands of people.

My great uncle joined the war and he didn’t come back to us. We were very sad when they sent us a letter to say that he got shot in the heart. And every ANZAC day we go to were he lies.

I had a sad start of the day yesterday but it got better by the way I’m not the only one that has lost family. After lunch we watched the Adventure of TinTin.

Frm your blogging buddy
    Maddy :mrgreen:

I love this post and I love ANZAC day!

What do you and your family do on ANZAC day-
    On ANZAC day me and my family have one minute silence with candles and a fake poppy.

What special events are held on ANZAC day-
    On ANZAC day there are special sera mones held and sometimes you have to wake up at 1 o,clock or 3 o,clock

On ANZAC day it is very nice that some people remember the soligers that past.

Your blogging buddie,
    Kealee :mrgreen:

• Dear Kealee,

I love ANZAC Day to but it is also a sad day.

I like ANZAC Day because you get to remember all the soilders who faught for our country.

On ANZAC Day my family and I dont really do anything all we do is stay home.

I think it is great thatthe soilders faught for our country.

Happy blogging,
      from
      Jess :mrgreen:

Great ANZAC day post. I loved reading about it because it was interesting.

I don’t know any more about ANZAC day but I learnt that it was in Gallipoli.

I think every year there is a special ANZAC day parade. If you know pease tell me.:cry:

My family dosent do anything for ANZAC day but my mum makes ANZAC biscuts. The ones my mum makes are very yummy!(Well, at least I like them.)

On ANZAC day I listen to “The last post” and think of all the solders that fought in war.

Your pal,

Georgia ♥

Wow, I just love this post! Our blog look so good because…
    Our posts are always bright and colourful.
    We get so many comments.
    We have wonderful students in 4KM and 4KJ!

On ANZAC day, I watch the ceremonies. I know why there are Dawn Services, because that is when the soldiers arrived at the shores of Gallipoli. My great Grandad fought in World War 2. Did any of your relatives fight in wars?

On ANZAC Day there are:
    Dawn services in Australia, New Zealand and Gallipoli, Turkey.
    At the Australian War Memorial, there are special services all day, starting at 10:15

I am proud to be Australian!

Liv S 🙂

15. Hi all,

At Ruskin Park, we have a memorial ceremony in our gym. All the children attend, as well as some veterans from our local RSL. During the ceremony, we lay wreaths, listen to the Last Post and the Ode and sing the national anthem.

Afterward, the teachers, veterans and any other special guests share a morning tea in the staffroom, provided by our wonderful Parents and Friends.

!/2A

16. Hello 4KJ and 4KM,

ANZAC Day always sees me out for the Dawn Service at 06:00 then to watch the marchers at 11:00 in town. This year the Dawn Service went well but rain and strong winds had everyone in the march and watching it soaked through.

Here is a link to a comment about ANZAC Day I made for another class…

http://rossmannell.posterous.com/for-23-class-anzac

If you wanted to see what my town’s Dawn Service looked like this year, here is a link to my website. At the bottom of the home page you’ll see a video has been added. It is this year’s Dawn Service. I was unable to film our town’s march this year because of the chance rain would damage my camera.

http://rossmannell.net

Keep blogging everyone. 🙂

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

17. Hi 4KM and 4KJ

We also commemorate Anzac Day and we have been learning about Anzac Day and our local memorial in History.

We have learnt about some of the special symbols of Anzac Day.
    One symbol is the War Memorial. Lots of towns, cities and districts have war memorials to remember the Anzacs. We have one down the road from our school. On Anzac Day some people march from our school to the War Memorial.
    Poppies are another symbol of Anzac Day. In World War I lots of soldiers fought in the fields where poppies grew. The red of the poppies can remind us of the blood of the soldiers who were hurt or who died. The black seeds in the centre of the poppies reminds us of sadness and grief.
    Other symbols we have learnt about are rosemary for remembrance, slouch hats that the soldiers wore, and Anzac biscuits.
    We made Anzac biscuits last week. They were yummy.

From 2C in Queensland

What a great post! I liked the photo of the wall with poppys on it.

On the public holiday my family and our friends were going to ride to Drysdale and have breakfast there. But the weather was bad so we decided to drive to Queenscliff for lunch.

When we were there we had lunch at the Vic hotel and then we did a bit of shopping. We also went to the Seaside lolly shop.

On our way to Queenscliff we saw a ANZAC parade and stopped to watch it.

Sophie

19. Hi guys,
    ANZAC day is very speshel to me because my pop died in the war. My family dose the march every year. We ware popy’s every year.

From your blogging buddy Justyce.