Turning Sounds into Words

4KM and 4KJ have been doing some more descriptive writing this week.

Yesterday they listened to this rainforest soundtrack while trying to put into words what they were picturing in their heads. The students couldn’t watch the video, just listen.

Maha: The birds chirping sounds like a pleasant whistle and the thuder is deafening. The wind is absolutely calm and it makes the chirps sound light and soft. The rain sounds like it is hitting the bank of a river. As the water rushes down the bank, it makes a relaxing sound.

Brandon: Birds are chirping in trees as you are hearing a small waterfall in play. Small drips come down from trees as small storms rumble the earth. There is a soothing sound of wind floating through the trees. Gently, pieces of water go up through the tide while a storm grows louder and louder. Raindrops now pelt down on the water.

Jess: Birds are chirping with the sound of thunder in my eardrums. I can hear the sound of trees rustling with thunder through it. The birds are like a song in my mind and it feels like they want to wake me up. Rain is pouring down with a couple of little tip taps. The tapping of the rain is very loud and clear.

Today the students listened to a different soundtrack and tried to describe what they were hearing and imagining.

Thomas: Noisy trains pull up at the big train station. Someone is puffing and panting through the city. A lot of loud music plays in the beautiful streets. Cars rumble right through the busy city as people talk really loudly. People are honking horns in their big cars as children and parents run through the crowded streets.

Iesha: Noisy people are chatting on the freeway as lots of ear piercing trucks screech by. A loud wedding in a tall church plays music. Lots of honking horns come from bad tempered drivers. The long traffic jams make people late for work, plane rides and school.

Travis: The angry policeman chases the streets after a man who just ran a red light. People trip as the man pushes them out of the way. Cars screech their brakes as the man dodges traffic and runs across the road. 

What did you think of our descriptive writing?

What adjectives did you see in the students’ writing?

Can you write a description of one of the soundtracks?

42 thoughts on “Turning Sounds into Words

Your descriptive writing is wonderful. Sometimes on my walks through the local nature reserve or national parks, I’ll sit and listen to the sounds too distant from roads to be bothered by human noises.

When we use our senses, it’s amazing what descriptive writing we can use to describe what we feel.

As I sit alone, listening, I hear the sounds of birds and the rustle of wind through the leaves. I see the colours of nature and the way light makes its way through the trees casting dappled light on the ground. I smell the scent of the gum trees and the earthy smells of the scene around me. Sitting, often on a rock, I can feel the texture of the ground beneath me, sometimes sharp, other times smooth and comforting. The serenity can be so engrossing I can almost taste the beauty. All too soon, I stand and move away leaving nature at peace.

“pleasant whistle…”, “soothing sound”, “little tip taps”, “Busy city”, “long traffic jams”, “angry policeman”… using adjectives, particularly in descriptive writing, can help paint pictures in the minds of readers. (I’m not listing all noun/adjective combinations so there are more to find.)

What also interested me was the use of similes in some of your writing. Like adjectives, they can help a reader better picture a scene.
    “like a pleasant whistle”
    “like a song in my mind”

Well done everyone. I hope I have the chance to see more of your writing. ☺

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

• Dear Ross,

Once again, your comments are amazingly long and very good quality. I’m Millie fom 4KJ and I’m very pleased to be replynig back to you.

I’m glad you enjoyed our discriptive writing. I think everyones writing was very effective too.

Your descriptive writing about what you can sense on your nature walk is very and I mean very, good. You should publish that! I believe that is excatly what you could sense in a local nature reserve and national parks.

You are very good at finding those adjectives. I also learnt you’re a good sharer because you left some adjectives for others toy find. You are also very good at looking for similes too.

Hopefully you don’t mind but I’d like to ask you a few questions:

♥ What is your favourite thing about blogging?
      ♥ What other blogs do you reccomend are good blogs?

I’ve got to go on my own blog now and reply to some pople.
      Bye, hope to talk soon,
      Millie 4KJ

• Dear Millie,

Thanks for the reply. Writing is a hobby of mine and reading posts from schools/classes/students is another of my hobbies as it involves writing in the form of comments.

I might be writing a comment to someone aged 5 and the next post may be from someone 17 or 18. The language used may different when writing to someone in their final year of high school but all are interesting for me.

Mind the questions?
        Questions are the sign of a curious mind. If we weren’t to ask questions learning would be more difficult. After 13 years at school as a student, 5 years at university and college, and 30 years involved with schools and teaching, I am still learning and asking questions so I welcome being asked as well. 🙂

Recommended blogs?
        I visit a large range of blogs over a day but my favourites include your school and Mrs Yollis’s school in California. Both have quality posts and comments. There are schools in the United Kingdom, USA and Canada I often visit and I have five blogs of my own, each set up for a different reason.

The strange things is, my first blog was really only started in the middle of last year and my commenting only started a month or two later. It’s amazing how much has happened in less than a year. 🙂

@RossMannell
        Teacher, NSW, Australia

• Dear Julian,

Thank you for commenting on our blog. I did not get my work on the blog but I would of loved to get my work on the blog.

Your Blogging Buddy,

Georgia.

• Dear Julien,
      Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog. I think a lot of people will like the writing. I think the teachers did a great job at picking the people for there work to be on the blog. I didn’t get picked because my work as been on the blog twice already but I’m ok with that. We have done discriptive writing before about Geelong my work is on that post.From your blogging buddy

Maddy

I really love the work everyone did.
    My favourite ones were Jess’s Iesha’s and Maha’s.

I hope everyones proud of their work!

your blogging buddy,
    Bronte.

• Dear Bronte,

Great comment. I think everyones work was brilliant but I especially liked Jess, Iesha’s, Thomas’s and Maha’s.

Talk soon,
      Liv S 🙂

• Dear Liv S,
        thanks for the reply.
        everybodys was perfect.

The ones I liked best were Jess’s Iesha’s and Maha’s.

your blogging buddy,
        Bronte.

• Dear Bronte,
      Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog. I think every one will be proud of there work even the parents will like them. I didn’t have a favourite one I like them all.

From Maddy

3. @ Julien,

Hi! My name is Olivia S (Liv) and I am in Miss Jordans class this year. We are a grade 4 class from Leopold Primary School.

Thankyou for leaving a comment, we were glad to hear from you.

I do think everyones work was fantastic and it certainly fun.

Hope to hear from you soon,
    Liv S 🙂

I loved doing the discriptive writing it was great. Thankyou Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan for chosing my work to put on the blog! 😛

I think everybody’s work was great and I just loved both of Millie’s so much they fabulous! 😆

I hope we do more descriptive writing soon!

From your blogging buddy
    Jess :mrgreen:

• Dear Jess,
      wow, what a fantastic comment.

I enjoyed descriptive writing aswell.

I also think everyones writing was awesome.

I also hope we do descriptive writing again.

your blogging buddie,
      Hannah

5. Dear Ross,
    Wow what a great comment you left on our blog. People can be very good at writing and your one of them. They did a good job at using there adjectives. I like your writing you did.
    From Maddy

I loved the descriptive writing we did. It was great!
    But I did not get to do the Rainforest soundtrack.
    If I did get to do it this would be how it went.

The birds are chirping in the Rainforest playing a beautiful tune while the thunder makes noise from the sky.The rain patters down on the grass below making another tune to go with the birds song.

I saw a lot of advectives in peoples writing such as soothing, soft, pouring and floating.

I thought the descriptive writing was great.

Thats all I have for today.

Bye for now!

Indiana 😆

Wow, what a great post! I love descriptive writing and I think it is my favourite activity in writing.

It was cool listening to the peaceful music while we were decribing it with interesting words. I think all of the descripitions were magnificent.

I hope you enjoyed doing the descriptive writing!

Skye

• Dear Skye,
      Thakyou for the awesome comment I think it was I injoyed listening to the calm sound to.
      From your buddy
      Kadyn

8. Dear 4KM and 4KJ
    Before I read our descriptions I closed my eyes and listened to each of the soundtracks. Then I read your descriptions and found that they matched what I had been picturing!
    I particularly enjoyed Brandon’s sentence, ‘Birds are chirping in trees as you are hearing a small waterfall in play.’
    Maha – I also think water makes a relaxing sound.
    Jess – I really like your sentence ‘ I can hear the sound of trees rustling with thunder through it. ‘
    Thomas, Lesha and Travis, your descriptions certainly made me feel as though I was in the middle of a busy and noisy city!

I bet Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris found it hard to choose which writing would go on the blog! I find it hard choosing between only 20 pieces of writing, let alone 52!

warm wishes
    Mrs McKenzie from B4

• @ Mrs McKenzie and B4,

Thanks for your fantastic comment. 🙂

Wow, that’s fluke to hear about that.I can not imagain how that would happen…
      BUT IT DID!How amazing is that?

I am very comfident that evryone who got their work on the blog appreciates your comment.
      I quite liked Maha’s wrighting of the rain forest and Thomas’s wrighting of the city.

I think that it would of been hard to chose other kids work too,but thay did a very good job chosing them.

I’ve got a question to ask you guys:
      have you got a favorite sound or place?
      if you do please tell me,I would like to know.

Thanks,
      Charlotte (4KJ) xxx

• Dear Charlotte
        I have a few favourite places, but if I want to relax then my favourite place is by the sea. I love the sound of the waves, whether they are gently lapping on the sand or rough and rowdy in a storm!
        I don’t often get to be near the sea as we live inland and it takes an hour to get to the ocean.

What is your favourite place?

Mrs McKenzie

• @ Mrs McKenzie,

Wow, your reply is Amazing, I mean thanks for your comment.
          I quite like the sea to relax at too,but my favorite place to relax at is in my own backyard. I like to sit on the soft outdoor setting chair and read a book. It helps me to relax.

The outdoor sounds are music to my ears,the birds chirping and the the leaves rustling in the wind makes me fell restful.

We only live fifteen minutes away from the beach because we live on the puinsula.

I like the beach a lot even though It isn’t one of my favorite places to relax at, it’s still is one of my favorite places.

Like I said my favorite place to go is in my own backyard.

your bloging buddy,

Charlotte(4KJ)

9. ….
    I liked doing our descriptive writing. The sounds made me feel very relaxed. I could of even fallen asleep.

How did the sounds make you all feel?

Lilli 😀

I relly liked doing the descripting writing because it was nice and peaceful.
    From your pal
    Kadyn(4KJ)

I really like the sounds I heard,It really calmed me down after a long run outside,I hope you like the sounds too.
    Patrick 😀

• Dear Patrick,

I thought that the descriptive writing was great to. I also thought that it was very calming just reading it.

I loved doing the writing about the rain forest.

From Elijah:mrgreen:

12. Dear 4km and 4kj,

I love listenig to relaxing sounds for some ood reason. At night I listen to rain and thunder on my iPod touch. That helps me to relax and I get weiry and aventurely I go to sleep.ZZZZZZ

Does anyone here listen to sounds at night?
    I also like it when there it is rain for real that also helps me get to sleep.The birds chirping sounds like a pleasant whistle and the thuder is deafening.

Honestly i like all the decriptive writing we did. it was all very interesting Does everyone agry with me?

One of the adjectives I saw was Maha’s:The birds chirping sounds like a pleasant whistle and the thuder is deafening. Hre is another by jess:The birds are like a song in my mind and it feels like they want to wake me up.

Well by for now
    Clancy 🙂

• @ Clancy,

WOW! What a quality comment! I think you might have a blog by the end of the year.

I love listening to relaxing sounds aswell. I like listening to real rain and thunder. It puts me to sleep at night time.

I loved all of the descriptive writing too. The descriptive writing put a picture in my head. Did it put a picture in your head?

Jess and Maha’s adjectives were great. The others did a great job too.

Skye 😉

13. Dear 4KM and 4KJ

I think that what you did was cool because you got every day sounds and put them together. It made me think of a very busy train station with the screech of the trains and the rush of people.

From your blogging friend

Simon
    Room 24, Taradale Intermediate School
    http://www.room24tis.blogspot.com

14. Dear 4KM and 4KJ
    I like how you put the sounds into words. The sound track with the birds made me feel like I was back at Camp Opouahi , our class camp two weeks ago. I think you achieved your goal for writing descriptively.
    Yours sincerely

Aidan
    Room 24, Taradale Intermediate
    http://www.room24tis.blogspot.com

15. Dear 4KM and 4KJ

The birds sound is great! When I listen to the birds I think I was in the forest. The birds are singing so they make music. The picture was amazing. It is so peaceful I think somebody might listen and they will sleep.
    Yours sincerely
    Ryeogeun Lee
    Room 24

• Dear Ryeogeun,

I think the bird sound is great too! When I think of birds I feel relaxed and the birds are flying around like in a wirlpool.I also feel like I want to go to sleep.

Your Blogging Buddy,

Georgia

I relly liked doing the desripting writing. It was calm peacful and fun! I want to do it agan.
    bye for now
    Kadyn

I think everyone did a great job on there descriptive writing. I saw a lot of adjectives in them.

Like Iesha’s: Noisy people are chatting on the freeway as lots of earpiercing trucks screech by.

And Jess’s: Birds are chirping with the sound of thunder in my eardrums.

Thats all I have for today.

Indiana 🙂

18. Great work 4KJ & 4 KM,
    With so much detail and description in your writing, I felt like I was in that very busy city and knew what sounds I was going to hear before even viewing and listening to the “busy city clip”.
    It sounds like there are some “budding writers” amongst you all.
    Well done!

19. Hi 4KJ/4KM

What an interesting activity! I love all of the descriptive words that have been used, I could almost hear the sounds by the way that you described them. Keep up the good work!

Carole

20. Dear 4KM and 4KJ

Hi im Jazmyn i go to rosebery primary school I <3
    your blog so does my teacher. You guys must be having fun there.:)

from Jazmyn

from Jazmyn

21. Dear 4KM and 4JL

Lovley blog, I love the true Little pig story it is so interesting, I can see you guys are building a awesome blogs.

PS, Lovley Performence I enjoyed it, U guys have a Nice great voice 🙂

Vanesia 🙂

• Dear Vanesia,

Thank you for commenting on our blog!

I also love The True Story of the Three Little Pigs too!

I also think everyone had a great big storng voice too!

Please comment again,

Maha 4KM 😀

22. dear 4KM and 4KJ, 8)

i cant go to school today because i am on my way to my camp up in bendejo. 😥 i wish i could come but we are in geelong.

you guy have to tell me what yous did today. i no its cros cuntry and i rely wanted to do that but like i said im going camping.

your friend,
    hayden.
    ps. dont forget to tell me what you did to day. 😉