A Visit From The Geelong Cats!

Yesterday the Grade Four students at Leopold Primary School were treated to a special visit from some Geelong Cats football players!

Geelong is a team in the Australian Football League (AFL) and they are very popular in our city. Geelong has had a very successful few years, winning three premierships in the past five seasons. In Australia we use the word “barrack” to say who our favourite sporting teams are. Most 4KM and 4KJ students barrack for Geelong.

There are 18 teams in the AFL and most states are represented. Each team has a mascot, and Geelong’s is a cat named Half-Cat.

Photo courtesy of: http://www.afana.com/

Yesterday two players, Andrew Mackie and Jed Bews, ran a footy clinic for the Grade Four students. Jed used to be a student at Leopold Primary School! In fact, when Miss Jordan was on teaching rounds at Leopold in 2003, Jed was in her class!

There were lots of fun activities for the students to enjoy and improve their football skills. Andrew and Jed answered questions and even signed autographs for the excited students!

Watch our slideshow to see the fun we had!

The AFL season starts in a few weeks and we wish the Geelong Cats all the best for another successful year!

Thank you to Andrew and Jed for visiting us at school!

Who do you barrack for?

Do you play football?

What sports do you enjoy watching or playing?

29 thoughts on “A Visit From The Geelong Cats!

It was awesome to see the Geelong Cats footy players come to our school.

Here are my answers to the questions.

1.I go for Essendon and Geelong.

2.I do play football at Leopold.

3.I enjoy watching Footy,.Cricket,Basketball and Soccer.

See you soon Max 🙂

• Dear Max,

Thank you for commenting on our blog. Yes it was really exciting for me when we got to see Andrew Mackie and Jed Brews.
      The activity’s were fantastic the best one was the tackerling bag I just pretended that it was a colling wood player.
      Got to go
      Maddy 😀

This is a wonderful blog post. I think everyone will think it is.

I was very excited when the cats players came. I think everyone loved it and was very excited aswell. Jedd and Andrew looked like they were having fun too.

My favourite activite was jumping on the trampoline and then tring to catch the ball.

Fom your student,
    Emily

How awesome to have a visit from the 2011 AFL Premiers. 🙂

Who do you barrack for?
    I don’t really follow any particular team but when I knew Eddie McGuire’s Collingwood was up against the Geelong Cats, I supported Geelong.

Do you play football?
    When at school, I had played a little soccer and rugby league but wasn’t skilled. AFL didn’t exist in Sydney back then. It was years before the Sydney Swans established as the first NSW AFL team.

I don’t tend to watch sports as I prefer to be out hiking if a day in nice. From my window, I can see a sports ground so I don’t have to move from my house to see soccer, AFL and cricket played by local teams. There is even an interstate comp here for soccer each year with kids from as far as Tassie sometimes coming.

My local school has instructors come from AFL and rugby league at times through the year so children can learn skills from both codes.

As always in sport, have fun. 🙂

@RossMannell
    Teache, NSW, Australia

• Dear Ross,

Thanks for the fabulous, long comment on our blog. 🙂 You are great at leaving comments.

I barrack for the Geelong Cats so I was very excited when I got my hat signed by Andrew Mackie. I didn’t get time to get my hat signed by Jed Bews.

I don’t play football but I practise kicking the footy at home. I am not good at rugby either but I hope I can improve.

I do netball and sometimes watch it. Whenever the Geelong Cats play I watch them too. You are lucky that you can see the sports grounds. 😀

Go Cats!

Happy blogging,

Skye ♥

• Dear Skye,

Netball is a great sport and popular in this town also. The netball teams play in another part of town so I don’t see them from my house. I’ve always found netball to be harder than basketball because you have to stop once you have the ball and there is no backboard when you shoot for goals.

@RossMannell

4. Dear 4KM and 4KJ

You are very lucky to have the Geelong Cats visit you. Andrew Mackie and Jed Bews are awesome players and I bet you all learnt some new skils from them. I am a Geelong supporter and I wish I could have been out there with them.

From, Jamie 🙂

• Dear Jamie,

Yes we were very lucky to see two of the Geelong cats players. I think they are super players too, and I learnt too many things I can’t remember them all!

I still can’t believe I saw them!

Your Blogging Buddy,

Georgia

5. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

I loved meeting the cats because they are AWESOME!

I go for Geelong and my whole family does!

I dont play football but I like it!

I enjoy watching darts with my dad and I also enjoy running! 😀

Well I will see you soon,
    From your blogging buddy
    Jess :mrgreen:

• Daer Jess,
      I in joyed doing activites with Andrew Jed. My favorite was when we had to have shots at goal whats your favorite activite?

From your blogging buddy Lachlan

This is the first time I’ve had the chance to stop by your blog and leave a comment – I’ve been reading through your older posts and I have to say that I’m very impressed. You’ve obviously had lots of great learning opportunities so far this year and I look forward to reading more of your posts!

How exciting to have the Geelong Cats come and visit your school. It looks like you had a great time with your footy clinic.

I barrack for Carlton, and have for a very long time. I don’t always follow footy closely, but I do try to stay up-to-date with how my team’s going.

I’ve never played a game of football before, but I have kicked the ball around with some of the students at my school because they’re absolutely footy mad!

I enjoy playing and watching netball and basketball – I played netball all the way through primary and high school – and like to play tennis for fun.

I look forward to reading your next post!

Stef Galvin
    Teacher, Melbourne

• Dear Miss Galvin,

GO CATS! Oops Stefanie my name is Cam and I’m sorry I shouted.

My grade is 4KJ. It’s ok that you haven’t had time to have a look at this blog.

I don’t mind football but I prefer soccer and cricket.

Bye from,
      Cam

• Dear Cam,

It’s ok – when it comes to footy, everyone’s allowed to shout now and then!

I’ve been learning about soccer and cricket lately. My prep/1 students love to teach me about soccer, and my dad tries to explain cricket to me.

Thanks for your reply!

Stefanie

7. Dear 4KM & 4KJ,

I love the Cats they are who I barrack for.
    WOW I loved watching them win the three grand finals.

Yes I do play football. I play for Leopold green and for the past two years I have been playing football my team has gone threw undefeated.

I also love playing cricket and I like watching football and cricket as well. they are my two favorite sports to play and watch.

From Clancy 🙂

8. Dear 4KJ and 4KM

WOW! geelong cats at our school.I barrack for cats. I played football all my family barrack forGeelong My dad barracks for Carlton

I enjoy watching the Cats bet Colingwood my favrote player is Andrew Mackie

you frend

Ronan

9. I dont go for cat’s but i was happy to se a real AFL team the team that i go for is boomers ok got to go bye
    Kayley 4km

10. Dear 4KJ and 4KM,

I liked when the two Geelong players
    came to our school.

I got my hat signed by Andrew Mackie and
    Jed Bews. It was fun.

From Ben

I barrack for the mighty ‘blue baggers.’ I actually just don’t barrack but my family and I are long standing members and we drive (2hrs) to every home game! We love it! I guess there would be lots of Geelong members at your school. I wonder how many?
    Mrs Davey
    Epsom PS
    P.S. I love Juddy!

12. Dear Mrs Davey,

Hi my name is Emily and I am in 4KM.

Thank you for the blog comment. It was great.

I can’t believe you drive 2 hours to go to the home football games. I know I couldn’t.
    I am not really sure how many people go for cats at our school. We have about 730 people in our schoool but probaly over have do.

Emily (4KM) ♦ ♥

Hello! We like your blog and your slideshow of the footy clinic with the Geelong Football Players. Our teacher Miss Tonissen barracks for the Cats! 7 students in our class also barrack for the cats! The other week, we had some Richmond Football Club players visit our school. It was very exciting.

We hope to hear from you soon,

From Miss T and 2B 🙂

• Dear Miss T and class,
      Thank you for your comment
      what sort of sport do you like?
      my is netball.

from

shakira 😀

14. Hi 4KM & 4KJ
    Do you know the idiom, ‘oceans apart’? Well we are literally oceans apart, being on the other side of the world to you, but also in our sports terminology we seem to be oceans apart too… can’t help noticing you’re doing Footy skills with a pointy ball!
    In the UK, football is played only with a round ball. If it’s played with the pointy ball, it’s called American football. The main pointy ball sport is of course Rugby, which a lot of the children in A Room with a View play. Most of the boys play for one of the local football teams, either Leyburn or Spennithorne, but we support (barrack for!) lots of different national teams, because our school is not really near any city with a major football team. So the teams we barrack for are Sunderland, Liverpool, Manchester Utd, Burnley, Newcastle, and Leeds.
    What a fantastic opportunity to be coached by major league players! I know that A Room with a View would love that! However they are lucky because they get football coaching for one term of the year from a professional coach, and in the summer months when it is light after school, there is an after school football team. You have inspired me to begin a post about all the sports we are lucky enough to play here at Middleham!
    Mrs M & A Room with a View

• Dear Mr M & A Room with a View,

Thanks for your comment,it’s great!
      Ha,ha,ha that’s funny I like your sense of humour.
      Did you now that the AFL football was invented by T.W. Sherrin in 1880.
      I barrack for cats.

From Charlotte (4KJ)

I enjoyed meeting Andrew and Jed.
    I was really exited when I herd that two
    Cats players were coming to our school.

I barrack for the Cats and I am a member.
    I go to most of the games in Melbourne and
    Geelong.

Somtimes my mum and dad will go to games in
    Sydney or Queensland.

Sophie

• Dear Sophie,
      Queensland! Sydney! I can’t believe your Mum and Dad went to Queensland and Sydney just to watch a game of footy!
      How many games have you gone to?
      Travis

I always want to type in 2KM and 2KJ at the beginning. I’m still not used to the change over to 4!

What a nice treat though! We’ve never had any athletes visit our school although I know my students would love for them to.

Someone will have to explain the rule of Australian football to me because I think it’s much different than the football we play here in America.

We often say that we “root” for a certain team. I never knew that you said it as barrack! In that case though, I barrack for the New England Patriots. That’s my favorite team! We lost in the Super Bowl this year though unfortunately!

Thanks for sharing such a great post!

Sincerely,
    Mr. Avery

• Dear mr Avery,
      thank you for the awsome comment.I am a big fan of football my favorite team is Hawthorn.I have been barracking for them since i was three years old and have been ever sens.

In Australia we also call football AFL wich stands for AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE.
      sorry but i
      have to go
      sincerely
      BRODEY. 😀

17. Dear 4km and 4kj.

This is Ian.
    Here is a little bit about me
    I am from b4.
    Reefton Area School has 200 people

How many people do you have?

your friend Ian