Describing Geelong

Our focus in writing is descriptive writing.

To make our writing interesting to read, we are including lots of adjectives in our texts. Adjectives are describing words, and they help you to make a picture in your mind while you are reading.

Last week we wrote descriptive texts about places in our city, Geelong. Our town, Leopold, is a suburb of Geelong. Geelong is the second largest city in Victoria and there are lots of attractions for families to visit in the area.

We hope you enjoy reading our descriptions.

Tip: click on the arrows icon in the bottom right hand corner to view in full screen.

To learn more about Geelong, why not check out the official Geelong and the Bellarine visitor information website.

Did you enjoy our descriptive writing?

Where would you like to visit in Geelong?

Can you describe a place in your town or city?

68 thoughts on “Describing Geelong

1. The You Yangs… no messing. Marshmallow round the fire, building stick houses, climbing AND barbeques! There are three thingsI’d travel 12,000 miles to Australia firstly Barbecues, then to see your class and finally to watch England win at the cricket. Now Shane is an old man like me he can’t put the curse on our batsmen any more.
    What great writing all of you.
    I can’t believe you are a 3/4 class. It’s a real thrill to see your work… be really proud of yourselves.
    Can’t wait for the Olympics those Aussies on bikes are pretty good!

Mr E
    Hawes

• Dear David,
      I hate to brake it to you,but were not a 3/4 class,were just two grade 4 classes called 4km and 4kj.

Thank you for the comment about our work,I think everybody did a great job on their work.I cant wait for the olympics too!Im not a big fan of cricket,I prefer show jumping, but cricket can get exciting sometimes

your blogging buddy,
      Bronte.

I think all the discriptive text is wondurful.

I am one of the people who got my discriptive text on the blog and my Mum and Dad are waiting to see my text.

I recken all the other parents are looking forward to seeing their childrens text.

I hope my parents enjoy the blog post.

From Trent :mrgreen:

• Dear Trent,

Your decriptive was fantastic and so were the others.

I enjoyed doing the decriptive text because we got to choose instead of us all doing one place.

Your friend,
      Georgia

• Dear Georiga,
        thank you for the complement,I very much appreciate it.

I also enjoyed the descriptive text,it was a very fun activity wasn’t it and it was good that we got to choose our own place.

From your blogging buddy Trent! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Absolutaly loved it Trent, Thought it was a great peice of decriptive writing. Makes me want to go there even more.

Well done to everyone who’s on the blog. Great work everyone.

From Dean. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Dear Dean,

It was a great peice of writing! Yes it does want me to go there even more but not in this bad wether.

Your Blogging Buddy,

Georgia

• Dear Dean,
        Thank you for commenting on our class blog. Yes Trent did an exerlent peice of work he when we had to write it everyone thoght it was great.
        talk soon
        Maddy

• Dear Trent,
      I hope all the kids parents like there kids work I bet they will. I think your discriptive writing was the best because it sonded like a grown up wrote thaat peice of work the way yo wrote it.

I think they were all very good and I can see why Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan had a hard time picking five people from each class like it was hard for them to five people ( from each class ) to go to Scoccer Gala day.
      from your blogging buddy
      Maddy

I loved all the storys that everyone wrote they were fantastic. I loved how everyone used wow words my favourite was… Actually I dont have a favourite!

How did everyone use so many good words?

From your blogging buddy
    Jess!

• Dear Jess,
      I dont have a favourite either they were all so good!

What did you do yours on?I never got the chance to find out yesterday.

your blogging buddy,
      Bronte.
      P.S I dont know how everybody used so many wow words.

• Dear Jess,

The storys were fantastic! I don’t have a favourite word like you, but some of my favourite are…

Fabulous,

Fantastic

and great.

I used good words because I thought about it. What adjectives did you use?

Your Friend Georgia (4KM)

• Dear Georgia,

I think everyones storys were great too.

Some of the words I used were…
        Amazing

great

wonderful

From your friend
        Jess ๐Ÿ˜†

Wow what such good writing,

Adam did his on Eastern Beach and Josh did his on The Last Piece.

From Adam and Josh. (4KM) ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

• Dear Adam and Josh,

Everybody did very good writing! I did mine on Playspace Geelong.

What is at the last piece?

From Georgia(4KM)
      P.S The Last Piece sounds like a puzzle shop.

• Dear Georgia,

Yes The Last Piece is a puzzle and game shop. You can get board games and puzzles.Here’s a question Is your work on the blog.

Sincerely Max ๐Ÿ™‚

• Dear Max,

No I have not got my work put on the blog.

I see you did yours on Port Pillip Bay and got it on the blog. How lucky are you?

Your friend,

Georgia

Geelong is a great pace to live because there are exilent places to visit. You have all ready seen some of the the nice places in Geelong that you can visit hope you liked our discriptive writing it took a lotof efet to write all of these. It was hard for Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan to pick five people from each class.

from your blogging buddy
    Maddy

• Dear Maddy,

You’re right the teachers put alot of effort into typing up our discriptive writting.

Do you think that everybody will like them?
      Because I think they will.

Anyway bye
      for now
      Lilli 8)

6. Dear 4KJ and 4KM ,

I liked doing the descriptive writing because it was quiet and peace full . I did mine on Easten beach i liked maddys ,trentand Lillis work I read it all the people did a great job I think they put a lot of effort in there work you all made a great
    job
    from your blogging
    student
    brooklyn

• Dear Brooklyn,

Great Comment everyone did fantastic writing.I thought the writing was very fun.Everyone did put a lot of effort in to their work.

Talk Soon Max

• Dear Brooklyn,

thank you for saying my discriptive text is one of your favorites.

what did you do your text on?

From Trent ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

• Dear Trent,

I agree with Brookyln
        that your discriptive writing
        really gives it the factar
        to make me want to read it .

from your blogging buddy Lachlan ๐Ÿ˜€

7. Dear 4KM and 4KJ
    I liked the stories of geelong (“Mine the most just joking I liked all of them.”)

It was really cool how you used slideshare to write those stories

from James :mrgreen

• Dear James,

The stories were nice weren’t they. (But yours.) Just kidding. I guess so at least. But it waas the the best grade 4 writing that I’ve seen. I think? anyway I’ve had my time writing.

Bye.
      From the awesomest dude on earth,
      Brandon. ๐Ÿ˜€

• It’s Brandon again,

I forgot to read over my writing and did “waas” instead of “was”. I’ll be going now.

Just correcting my self.
        From the awesomest dude
        on earth,
        Brandon.

8. Dear 4km and 4kj,
    there were lots of people who got their discriptive texts put on the blog,I did not get my one put on the blog.

I did mine on Gateway Sentchuary.

Your blogging buddy,
    Bronte.

• Dear Bronte,

I did not get mine on the blog ither!
      The 5 people out of both of our grades were very lucky!

I did mine on Geelong playspace.(A very big playground!)

Your Blogging Buddy,

Georgia

I really loved this post. I enjoyed writing about a place we have been in Geelong. I chose Leisure Link. It is a swimming pool in Waurn Ponds.

I think everyone did a fantastic job on their decriptive writing. I especially loved Sophie’s and Trent’s.

A place I’d like to visit in Geelong would be the You Yangs. When Liv S decribed it sounded like a fantastic place. I enjoyed her decriptive writing too.

Your pal,
    Millie ♥

• Dear Milly,

What a great comment. I have never been to Leisure Link before, but I hope to go there soon.

I think everyone did a great job too.
      I did my decriptive writing on Eastern Beach(I think you know).

I have been to the You Yangs before. It was lots of fun walking up the mountain.

Sophie

• Dear Millie,

Thank for the wonderful comment.
      It is great to see people commenting. Do you think it is great seeing people leaving so many comments?

I really enjoyed writing my story too. I done mine on Eastern beach. What made you decide to do Leisure Link.?

Keep up the great commenting from,
      Emily ๐Ÿ˜€

• @ Millie,

What a quality comment! I loved this post aswell. Your writing would have been wonderful as it was about one of my favourite places.

Everyone’s writing was fabulous, but I especially liked Trent’s, Maddy’s, and Sophie’s. The You Yangs is a great place to visit with your family.

A place I’ve been and liked is Skilled Stadium.

Talk soon,

Liv S ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Dear Trent
    l certainly did enjoy reading not only your descriptive writing but also that of your classmates. You should all be very proud. As a parent it is great to share in your day to day achievments at school and to see the support and encouragment that you have for each other. Keep up the great work guys, and never stop WOWing us!

11. Dear Katrina,

Thank you for commenting on our blog!

I did enjoy reading and writing our decriptive writing. It was very fun!

From your Blogging Buddy

Georgia(4KM)

12. Dear 4KM & 4KJ,

After reading the descriptive writing I now have the information I need to visit some new and interesting places around Geelong!

Thankyou for your informative work.

From Bronte’s Mum
    Gabe

• Dear Gabrielle,

Thank you for your comment. I feel the same way. I thought I had seen all of Geelong but from the descriptive writing I have so many other places to visit!

Please comment on the blog.

Talk soon,

Maha ๐Ÿ˜€

• Dear Gabrielle,

Thank you for your comment. I feel the same way. I thought I had seen all of Geelong but know I have seen the descriptive writing I have so many other places to visit!

Please comment again.

Talk soon,

Maha ๐Ÿ˜€

I enjoyed reading your descriptions of places around Geelong and Leopold I could visit. I didn’t realize that Geelong was on the coast before I read your descriptions and visited the website.
    I love the coean and coastal communities. I grew up near the water and I have chosen to always live near water.
    So I think the places I would like to visit are all the beaches! Plus, I would like to go to one of the outside restaurants and have lunch!
    Mrs. Hembree

• Dear Mrs Hembree,

Thank you for your magnificent comment.

I’m glad you liked all our descriptive writing. There you go, you learnt another fact, Geelong is near the coastal line.

I like the water too. It’s a great place. I like the fresh smell of the sea water when it drifts over to Leopold on a special occasion.

If you like the water so much, I believe Geelong is a place for you. I’d like to see you as a tourist in Geelong sometime.

I’d love to stay and chat but the schedule tells me I have to go.

Your new friend,
      Millie (4KJ)

Those decriptive writting were fantastic! :mrgreen:
    My decriptive writting was about 13th beach down at Barwon Heads.

My favourite piece was Trent’s because he put so much effort into it and he used his grammar correctly and it makes me feel like I want to go to Eastern Beach all the time.

I had so much fun writting about places in Geelong!

My 2nd favourite was Olivia’s, she wrote about the You Yangs it sound like a fun and relaxing place to go.

My 3rd favourite was Clancy’s, he wrote about the Geelong Stilt Stadiam that is home to my 2nd favourite football team Geelong Cats.

Talk soon,

Leah ♥

• Dear Leah,
      I agree,everyones work was terrific!
      I believe everybody put in all the effort they had for their discriptive writing.

your blogging buddy,
      Bronte.

P.S geelong is my favourite AFL team

15. Dear Lilli,
    I think everyone will love the disciptive writing and I’m sure you did. Any way thanks for reply to my comment. I was so happy this morrning that you said you replyed to my comment so I was so happy that I replyed back to yo. I like your discriptive writing too.

Talk to you soon
    Maddy

• Dear Maddy,

Thank you for your comment but I think that your descriptive writing is better than mine.

Bye for now
      from your
      bloging
      buddy
      Lilli 8)

• Dear Ronan,

Thanks for the great comment. I liked reading your comment. My favourite story was Trent’s.

Will ๐Ÿ˜€

• Dear Mikayla,

Hi my name is Lilli
      thank you for your comment. Do you have a class blog? Have a nice day tomorrow

Sincerely
      Lilli (4KM) 8)

As I read through your descriptive writing, it made me remember some of the sites when I travelled through Geelong on my way to the Great Ocean Road. You live in a wonderful part of Australia.

Olivia Y., Trent and Sophie – Your descriptions of Eastern Beach brought back memories from my visit many years ago.
    Maddy – I hadn’t heard of the Leopold Sportsmen’s CLub but it seems to be a great place to visit.
    Lilli – Your description of Barwon Heads Beach makes me want to visit.
    Elijah – Loving the outdoors, I know I’d like Gateway Sanctuary.
    James – Adevnture Park seems to be a good place to have fun.
    Max – Port Phillip Bay is an amazing place. Knowing it stretches so far north from Geelong as to reach Melbourne makes it a magnificent waterway.
    Olivia S. – I have heard of the You Yangs but didn’t know anything about them. Thanks for sharing.
    Clancy – Surely most Australians know about Skilled Stadium after the Geelong Cats 2011 AFL win.

A description in my town…

In my town there is a track starting in a park beside our main tidal lake. It takes the walker through coastal bushland just out of sight of houses. Bird life and coastal views make it an attractive walk.
    Along the way is Middle Beach, small yet very popular because of the water and views. Continuing along the now clifftop walk, you reach the site of the fisherman’s lookout where someone once would have keep watch for fish.
    Finally reaching a road, a further roadside walk takes you to our old wharf popular for fishing, diving and swimming or just to have a meal in the restaurant or visit the aquarium.

Great work everyone. ๐Ÿ™‚

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

• Dear Ross,
      I’m Trent (4KM)
      thanks alot for the compliments you gave us,it was very nice.

your town sound very nice and in the future I will definitly be visiting there,the beach sounds the best.

From your blogging buddy Trent ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

17. dear 4KM and 4KJ,

I really like trent’s Eastin Beach geelong writing sheet.
    I did the geelong show groud. Their’s lots of sings to do.

from,
    Cam : )

18. Dear 4KJ and 4KM,

The descriptive writing was fun. Mine was about the Sunday Market. I enjoyed writing because there is lots of stuff to write about at the Sunday Market.

from
    Ben(4KJ)

• Dear Ben,
      What can you buy at the Sunday market? I loved writing about Geelong.
      What did you write about?

Travis (4KM)

19. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,
    I just watched the descriptive writing video I liked it.
    Hope to see more posts from mrs Morris and miss Jordan

Your pal,
    Libby ๎€Ž 8)

20. Dear Lilli,

thank you for saying that my discriptive text is good your was great also I hope you engoyed thi activitivtys.

From Trent :mrgreen:

I really enjoyed the descriptive writing we did about places we have been in Geelong.

I did my descriptive writing on Adventure Park,it is a great place!I didn’t get my one on the blog.I liked reading Maddy’s descriptive text on the blog.

Indiana

22. Dear 4KM and 4KJ
    What fabulous writing – you really sell Geelong to me! If I were coming to visit, I think I would have to go to Gateway Sanctuary, just for the chance of seeing a Platypus! You say in your writing that it is very rare, Elijah – have you ever seen one? The birds sound pretty amazing too – I would really enjoy your exotic wildlife!
    Your writing is obviously very effective because it did really make me want to travel there… unfortunately it is rather a long way from Yorkshire!
    Mrs M
    A Room with a View, UK

• dear mrs m,

Hi im Hayden and im in 4KM. Elijah said to me he has seen a Platypus befour. Im in Elijahs class, im shore they look cool, i have never seen one.

your bloging friend,
      hayden