The Monster Who Ate Australia

Today we read the book The Monster Who Ate Australia by Australian author, Michael Salmon.

The story is about a monster named Burra, who travels around to the capital cities of Australia. He sees the sights, eats some strange things and gets into some mischief along the way!

After reading the book, students completed a story map to show Burra’s Australian adventure.

On Michael Salmon’s website, you can read the story yourself. Click the image below which takes you to Michael’s website, and click on The Monster Who Ate Australia story in the main screen. Happy reading!

You can find a list of Michael Salmon’s other terrific books here.

click to generate your own textclick to generate your own textclick to generate your own textclick to generate your own text

Guess who commented on our blog? Click here to write back to him!

What did you think of The Monster Who Ate Australia?

What was your favourite part of the story?

If you could travel anywhere in Australia, where would you go?

14 thoughts on “The Monster Who Ate Australia

1. Hi 4KM and 4KJ
    The Monster who ate Australia is a brilliant book. I read it in grade 3 and I thought it was funny when he ate everything on his journey around Australia.

From Jamie (5KB) 🙂

• Dear Jamie,
      Thanks so much for commenting on our blog.

I think the book is funny too
      it is a really good book.I had never heard of this book until yesterday.I loved it.

Keep on commenting Max:)

I love that book and have used it a number of times with classes, yes, mostly Year 3 and 4. 🙂

My favourite part are the wonderful graphics in the book. I like to draw, particularly cartoons. I like to read. This book has something for everyone.

Travelling in Australia? I’ve been in Tasmania, Queensland, NSW (Wait, I live there), Victoria (even s place called Geelong), Northern Territory and South Australia so perhaps I would pick Western Australia in the spring time. It’s not too hot and not too cold and is a time a native flowers, something I like photographing. 🙂

Here is a link to a few of my plant photos if you’re allowed to look…

http://rossmannell.primaryblogger.co.uk/2012/02/19/some-plant-photos-taken-in-my-area/

Have fun with “The Monster Who Ate Australia”. I know my classes always did. 🙂

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

• Dear Ross,

My name is Sophie. I am in 4KJ. Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog.

I love the book too. My favourite part is when Burra visits the Sydney Opera House.

The states of Australia I have been to are Victoria (I live here), New South Wales, South Australia, Western Australia and Queensland.

Sophie(4KJ)

3. @ 4KM and 4KJ,

I love this post!

I think I should get the book!

I think the monster that ate Australia is horrible!

If I could go any where in Australia I would probably go to Adelaide.

Sincerly,
    Hannah(3JW)

4. Dear 4KJ and 4KM,

Sorry I haven’t had a chance to read this book but Skye tells me that she thought it was great. I think it is pretty exciting that the books author placed a comment on your Blog!!

I have been to most States in Australia and my absolute favorite town is Port Douglas in far North Queensland…it’s so tropical and warm with beautiful palm trees, beach and rainforest…I think I could live there!!!

Keep us the great blogging…

Cheers,

Cassie 🙂

• dear cassie

Hi my name is Cam and the book is great and there are 5 copys of it!
      Yes it is graet for Mr salmon commented because it not every day a auther comment on a blog.

bye from
      cam.

I have never read “The Monster Who Ate Australia,” but from the information in your blog and your video comments on it, it sounds like a book I would enjoy reading!

If I could go anywhere in Austrailia (I am from California, and have never been off the North American continent!), I would like to go to Sydney, and see the Opera House.

Thank you for your wonderful post!

Sincerely,
    Rhiannon

My favourite part of the story is when he ate a bit of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

If I had a choice where I could go I would go to Bali.

From Paige

7. Dear Hannah,
    Hi name is Lilli thank you for your comment. Well I thought that the Monster who ate Australia was funny.

Lilli 8)

8. Dear 4KM & 4KJ

I for one think the book was great.(Not the best though.) The monster Burra was quite a surprize. I mean it’s not not everyday you find a giant monster that ate pretty much anything that looked like a rock (to it at least. no offence towards Burra though.) It was great seeing him because… Well he’s a monster.

Good bye for now,
    Brandon X)

9. Omg how good to have a comment from Michael.
    What a great person to take the time.
    I’ll have to read the book as I haven’t heard of it til now.
    Going to the library tonorrow so hopefully I can grab a copy.

Tracy (Kadyns mum)

10. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,
    I think the monster how ate astralia is a awsome book. My faveret part is when he ate the huge pinaplle bilding.I have been to New South Walles. It is hot there.
    From your blogging buddy Caitlin.(2dd)

11. Pingback: Graphing | 1/2A