Phone Call from the Atlantic Ocean!

Last year a UK adventurer contacted Mrs Morris to tell her about his rowing trip across the Atlantic Ocean.

Alastair Humphreys was joining three other men to row 3000 miles (about 5000 kilometres) from the Canary Islands (Spain) to Barbados (Caribbean). He offered to ring 4KM and 4KJ during his journey which began on 12th January.

Since starting back at school, 4KM and 4KJ have been keenly following Al’s blog and were curious about many things.

http://www.transatlantik.si/eng/blog/styles_of_rowing/50

Al rang us at 12pm on Friday 10th February. It was 1am where he was and Al had just finished rowing for two hours through a storm.

For the whole 60 day trip, the men row for two hours and then sleep/rest/eat for two hours. The sleep deprivation is terrible for the adventurers!

When Al rang us, he was currently 57% of the way across the Atlantic. This map shows you where the boat currently is (you can click on it to see the updated location).

Eight students asked Al questions:

Clancy started by asking if they can eat and drink while rowing. Al said they normally eat and drink when they’re not rowing but during the day they need to drink while rowing as it can get quite warm. As Al was talking to us he was eating chocolate in bed!

Libby asked what sort of sea animals they had seen. Al told us that they had seen flying fish, whales, dophins and jellyfish.

Hannah wanted to know what the scariest moment so far had been. Al explained that there hadn’t been very many scary moments except for at the start when the wind was very strong.

Georgia asked if water ever gets into the boat. Al explained that the waves hit the top of the boat and can get in but they have a part of the cabin with their beds and computers that they make sure never gets wet.

Kealee wanted to know what Al is going to do when he gets to Barbados. Al explained that the crew talk about this topic all day long! They can’t wait to eat a lot (pizza, salads and cold drinks), have a BIG sleep and have a nice warm shower.

Trent asked if Al had any other adventures planned. While Al explained that he is just dreaming of Barbados at the moment, he might be walking across the South Pole at the end of the year. He said he might be able to call us from the South Pole!

Lachlan wanted to know who Al’s role model is. Al told us about an English explorer called Captain Scott who he looked up to as a boy.

Finally, Loren asked how many more days they will be at sea. Al hopes that they will be in Barbados in about 20 days. They draw all over their maps to work it out.

We thanked Al for talking to us and he said he might be able to Skype us when he is on land! It would be great to talk to him some more.

Al and his crew are rowing across the Atlantic to raise money for charity. You can click here if you are interested in donating.

How would you feel about rowing across an ocean?

What would you like to ask Al?

Why is Al a role model for us?

40 thoughts on “Phone Call from the Atlantic Ocean!

Hi everyone! When we finily got the call from al I was so happy.

If I was rowing across an ocean I wouldn’t like it but if it was for someone I would feel great.

I would love to ask Al a lot but there is to much.

Al is a role model for us because he is rowing a very long way to rase money for someone.

Lot of love. ♥
    Kealee

• Dear Kealee,

What a great comment! You’ve improved so much in your blogging the few years.

I agree with you, if I had to row across any sea, I would’nt like it, but like you said if I were for someone or something, I would feel deep down, really great.

I know, there is so many things I want to ask Al. So do you I’m guessing!

It’s very nice of Al to row all that way across the Atlantic Ocean, it’s a miracle!

Millie!

2. Hi 4km and 4kj,
    It was amazing when we got the call from Al. My favorite part was when we all yelled out ‘Hi Alistair!’. It was amazing that we got to talk to someone who is on his way to Barbados. But thank goodness they didn’t have a crash but u bet they are going to be really tired when they get to Barbados
    From you bl

• Dear Libby,
      I like comment you lefted on the blog. The best part for me was when we yelled out hello too. I like your question you asked Al. I was to scared to ask Al my comment that I was going to ask when everyone had finished asking their questions and he had more time. My question was how long where you planning to stay in Barbados.

From your friend
      Maddy

3. Hello 2KM and 2KJ students,
    Welcome back to school after your holidays. With a new year starting for you I’m sure you will have many wonderful post to follow.

How exciting for you to get this phone call. We are tracking his newest adventure too. Our friends– A Room with a View(England) also got a phone call last week so we’ve read their post about that plus we’ve visited his web site. Your great post adds some more information for us.
    This started out when we both started reading a book called A Boy Who Biked the World written by Alastair Humphreys. We have followed Tom (the character) through various countries and we are now in Ethiopia. We wonder if he’ll eventually write a book about his Atlantic adventure.

It’s amazing to us that children and teachers all around the world are following his trip.

Mrs. Todd and the 2nd grade Roadrunners

• Hi Mrs. Todd and 2nd grade,

Thanks for the comment.
      Yes it is amazing to be talking to someone in the middle of the Atlantic ocean isn’t it.

I was Cat women for the dress up day. It was funny to see me in high boots. Oh, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Charlotte and I am from 4kj.

Charlotte

• Hello Charlotte,
        It was nice hearing from you. What is your dream? What adventure would you like to have one day?
        I’m assuming you are 9 years old. We live near a city called Charlotte here in North Carolina.
        What is your favorite thing about living in Australia?
        What makes your school special?

4. Dear 4kj and 4km

I loved dress up day, I was a ballarina, you were a school student leader.

I love blogging, I did a blog on Sunday, it was fun. See you on Monday.

from Ehberneese your blogging buddy.
    🙂

It was really exiting when Al rang us on Mrs Morris phone. wE LOOKED AT Al’s blog a couple of times and before Al rang we reading this artical about Bottoms. When we rang him he was in his bed eating choclate in 1.00 in the morning. That’s bad. That’s why Al is my rolemodel.!
    from your blogging buddy
    Maddy

• Dear Maddy
      i was realy exsited when AL rang us to.
      But choclate in 1.00 in the morning thats bad but i love choclate some times i try too sneak choclate.
      By from your blogging buddy Brodey.

What a wonderful way to learn and follow Al huge adventure.
    I really don’t think I would last a day on the high ocean as a matter of fact I am already starting to feel sea sick.

I do have a question for Al and that is what is the one thing that Al misses while he is out on the high seas.

Great post!
    From AA.

7. Dear 4KM and 4JK,

The loneliness of being out on the open ocean in a small boat distant from any help if in trouble can appeal to the adventure in our hearts and minds. For me, it’s enough to share with those who take the chance to do what few have tried.

In your lives you may have dreams whether it’s to take part in a great adventure, do something spectacular or amazing or work towards a goal. For many, the dream remains just that. In Al’s case, he had a dream. He is a role model because he set himself a challenge and is trying to achieve a dream.

One of my dreams since I was 7 was to be a teacher. It was something I worked towards and achieved. I then set myself the goal of creating a learning environment where children wanted to be there, where fun would be as much a part of learning as it was in play.

I think I achieved that dream. Many former students have helped me realise it was so. It wasn’t a great adventure, my dream was to make a difference in the lives of children.

What dreams will you have in your life?
    What will you do to achieve them?

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

• I like your thoughts Mr Mannell. Adventure is different for each of us – only a hardy few will cross an ocean or reach the poles, for others the adventure might be visiting a foreign country, taking up a new sport, setting up a class blog! Surely our job as teachers is to create a mind open to adventure in its broadest sense… as you say, to new ideas, experiences and the fun of learning something new!

• Dear Ross,
      One of my dreams are to hit a six in under 13’s cricket club(Walington)and I will buy a brand new bat.
      Travis (4KM)

• Dear Ross,

That was a great comment you sent on our blog all about dreams. Well my dream is becoming a teacher as well. Al has been my role model since I first went on his blog. Al is going to talk to us when he get’s to Barbados so that’s going to be exiting for everyone. Al’s next adventure is walking across the South Pole he is going on that aventure at the end of the year.

Thanks for comming on our blog
      Maddy

• Dear Maddy,
        Being a teacher can be a great deal of fun. It also involves much work but when you are with your class, helping them to learn and you see from their faces they really understand, it’s a great reward.
        I can understand why Al is a role model. He had a dream and is on his way to achieving it. 🙂
        @RossMannell

• Dear Ross Mannell,

Thank you for the wonderful blog comment.
      I would not like to be out in the open sea either because I would miss everyone I love. I would not like rowing for fifteen hours each.

Becoming a teacher would have been fun because you were dreaming about it since you were 7 years old. My dream is to become a scientiest or an author.
      To try and achieve that I will read lots of science books or, to acheive being an author I will read lots of books to learn about writing books.

Here are some questions:
      What grade did you teach?
      Did you have fun?

From your blogging buddie ,
      Emily ♦

• Dear Emily,

What a coincidence in what you have written. Yes, I became a primary school teacher as I had dreamt but there is more to the story.

When in high school, I decided I wanted to study science before taking up primary school teaching. I gained my Bachelor of Science through studies of psychology and zoology. Only once graduated did I do a primary teaching diploma. This made me a little unusual as a primary school teacher, I was a science graduate and brought that love of maths and science into my class.

Your second dream is to be an author. I love writing and have written many very short stories (around 100 words for a writing group), short stories around 6000 words and novels over 45000+ words. None have been published into books but they are fun to write. The very short and short stories are on one of my blogs.

You see, more than one dream can be achieved if we try. I’m a primary school teacher, science graduate and I write stories. You can achieve dreams if you work towards them.

What grade did I teach?
        I have taught from Kindergarten (Reception) to Year 6 and have tutored maths up to Year 12. Mostly I taught years 3 to 5.

Did I have fun?
        I always felt if I was having fun, my class would be. Our lessons always seemed to have fun in them.

@RossMannell

8. Hi 4KM and 4KJ!
    I was so excited to read your post and see that you are following Alastair Humphrey’s Atlantic row too – how amazing! I knew that he was contacting schools on all continents, but I didn’t know which ones so it was great to discover that you are following his adventures as well. It really is an amazing adventure! To try and understand a bit more about what it might be like, we had an ‘Atlantic Row’ day on the last day of our half term… we all had to bring in something we thought would be on the boat and we had fun making videos of life on board.
    http://middlehampri2.posterous.com
    When we got our call from Al, we struggled to make it loud enough for everyone to hear clearly. How did you manage that? I looked at your photos, and wondered what you were using in your classroom? (We were using our school office phone on speaker phone – a bit low tech!)
    I shall look forward to sharing your experiences with Class 2 after our mid-term break.
    Mrs M
    A Room with a View

• Dear Mrs M,
      We manged to talk to al by tecnolige

on Mrs Moriss phone.4KM went in our room to hear al loud and clear.

from
      shakira 😀

• Dear Mrs M,

Thanks for all your great comments. We hope we will comment on your blog one day. We are very busy at the moment learning about blogging because we’ve only been back at school for a little while.

Your Atlantic Row day looked like so much fun! What a great idea.

Mrs Morris plugged her iPhone into the audio cable from the interactive whiteboard so the sound came through the IWB speakers. Worked a treat!

I hope you all have a lovely break!

Mrs Morris, 4KM and 4KJ

I can not beleive we got a phone call from the middle of the Atlantic Ocean that day! Nine people asked Al(the adventuer)quesaions of the trip, it was awsome! Bye for now.
    from,
    Patrick 😀

• Dear Patrick,

I was exited when Al rang us to. But I was scared to ask him a question when everyone had finish asking there questions. My question was how many days are you staying in Barbados.
      Got to go more comments to write
      Maddy

10. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

I’m so happy that we finally got the phone call. It’s very exciting that we actually got a phone call from All.

I loved lisenting to what he was saying and all the qustions he got asked. Wow we are very lucky. I can’t wait until we get a phone call from in the South Pole.
    see you soon
    from your blogging buddy
    Jess

• Dear Jess,

Yes is was very exiting when we got the phone call from Al.My favourite part was listerning to the answers.

Also I can’t wait to get a phone call from the South Pole! I wonder if Al is going to do any other adventures? Next after the South Pole it could be hiking!

Your friend

Georgia

• Dear Georgia.

thanks for the comment and it was awesome speaking to Al.

I also wonder what he is going to do next.
        Well see you soon
        from your blooing buddy
        Jess 😀

• Dear Loren,

thanks for the comment it was fantastic and it was great getting a phone call from Al!

Bye for now
        from your blogging buddy
        Jess 😆

11. Dear 4km and 4kj,

talking to al was exciting!I wanted to hear all the qustions everyone wanted ask him.

It is amazing how al was brave enough to go on that jouney.I would never be able to row as long as him.

bye for now

from,
    Indiana

when Alastair Humphrey rabng up us I asked what has was the scariest moment so far?

Al explained that that there hadn’t been any scary moments, Except for at the start when the wind was very strong.

If I was rowing across an huge ocean i would be scard.

from,
    Hannah

• Dear Hannah,
      The question you asked Al was very nice and informative!

I wouldn’t think anything would be scary for Al because he has been doing more adventures then this one!

I agree with you, if I was rowing across the Atlantic ocean I would be terrified!!

Maha 😀

I would hate rowing acros the
    atlantic ocean becouse I would
    miss my famly to much.

I would like to ask Al what type of
    birds have you seen?

Al is a role model for me becouse
    he is rowing for someone

from,
    Ben.

14. Hi 4 KM its Trent. I’m one of the people that got to ask Al a question. He is defintly one of my roll models because he is good at adventuring and I Iike adventuring too . I want to be a better adeventurer like him.

from,
    TRENT :mrgreen:

It was really cool geting a phone call from the middle of the Atlantic oceon,I would be really scared if I was in the middle of the of the oceon.I had a lot of fun calling Al.

by for next time I blog,
    from
    Thomas

16. Hello,
    Kadyn isvso interested in what this person is doing and why and I’ve heard so much about it from him.
    What a fantastic thing he is doing and even better that he can chat to the kids about it.

Tracy (kadyns mum)

I think it’s really exciting that Alaister Humphreys is willing to take you to a trip in the Atlantic Ocean.
    You and your students must be so excited!
    What do you think you are going to see in the Atlantic Ocean?
    Sincerely,
    Niyati